Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you in favor of the TPP?
Yes
No
N/A without more data
View Results

• Locked thread
Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
I'm pretty bummed that the thing was torpedoed by voting against an extension of the TAA (Trade Adjustment Assistance), which funded programs intended to give economic and educational assistance to workers who lost jobs that were moved overseas. Thats been around for quite a while and both labor unions and democrats and really anyone who gets frictional unemployment supports it, but by blocking the TPP they've guruanteed that it's going to expire, probably for good. It did kill the TPP but my pessimistic side suspects that a similar deal is inevitable and the sacrifice will end up being nothing more than a stalling tactic.

Thunder Moose posted:

This has been my thought as well. I am not automatically opposed to more open trade - it can be an excellent tool to enrich all involved. However, secrecy on something this important to protect trade interests at the expense of informing the people who live in a supposed republic: I don't know, I am sure there is some cliche idiom that summarizes this point but essentially garnering a small benefit at a massive cost to the democratic process.

Keeping things secretive makes sense only if it's done as a way to prevent lobbyists from loving with a trade bill. I don't know or trust that this was the goal, but it could definitely make sense in the US where those lobbyists have way more ability to dictate the terms of the deal than voters ever, ever, ever could.

Edit: I guess it helps keep shortsighted politicians from loving with it to serve their own narrow interests as well.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread