Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The cars may be rust-free, but god help your balls in this Florida humidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60P1xG32Feo

I have been a tinkerer since I was a young boy. My father recognized this early and bought me tools starting in my early teens. This has spiralled completely out of control, and I have subsequently been through a mess of cars:

(You can skip this block if you really want to)
1980 Ford F250 (My brother keeps it for now)
1993 BMW 325 with an S50 swap (rear-ended by a drunk driver)
1984 BMW 318 "Lean Machine" (see: https://youtu.be/H-YCbF15FI4?t=31s; died on dirt road due to teenage dumbassery)
1989 BMW 325is "Lean2" (T-boned)
1997 Mazda Miata (I rear-ended a Honda Pilot after falling asleep at the wheel)
1987 BMW 325is (T-boned a van who pulled out in front of me)

My current stable consists of a pair of 90's RWD Volvo wagons, an NA Miata, and an AE82 Corolla. I bought the 240 some years ago to use for work. It was dependable until I hit a deer at 65mph and I had to rebuild the front end. Unbeknownst to me, the transmission cooling circuit had been compromised and it destroyed three AW-70 transmissions (the real kicker is that I kept throwing transmissions at it). It currently sits in my driveway. I also have a 940 that I bought for $500, threw a battery at and drove away. It's sat in the work parking lot for over a year now because it needs a thermostat and an alternator and I'm lazy. I could get $2000 for it if I just took the three hours to fix it and wash it.

My DD is a 1995 Mazda Miata that I bought from a fellow member of the local AutoX region. Other than a rather strong appetite for oil and a snapped timing belt it's been a good, fun car that keeps me going to and fro to work. The oil consumption probably has a lot to do with the heavy right foot.

This brings us to the current subject: a 1987 Toyota FX16 Corolla, with a mere 109,000 miles on it. When I first saw this car it belonged to a girl that I later dated, and then she sold it to a buddy of mine, and then he got a Mini and sold it to me. He had parked it due to a suspected blown headgasket and a worn-out clutch. Knowing that I had a bit more talent for tinkering with cars, he sold it to me for what he paid the old girlfriend: $500. I drove my second $500 car around for work and as a DD with a clutch kit in the back seat for a month or so.

Then I decided to start fixing it up. The first thing I did was put a new radiator cap on it. Big mistake. This new and interestingly higher than "normal" coolant system pressure was the last straw for the aging headgasket, and it blew out a chunk off the back side of the block and pissed the coolant all over a gas station parking lot. At this point I had two options: do the clutch job in its entirety, then do a headgasket job, on a transverse mount 80's car with vacuum lines loving everywhere and no room to work, only to blow out some other gasket or seal or something later just to tear the whole thing down again in that lovely little engine bay, or borrow a crane and a stand and perform the aforementioned refresh at my leisure in the garage with plenty of room to work. Oh no wait that's a terrible idea, you're not a drat mechanic and besides the most complicated thing you've ever done is swap a tranny, stripping and refreshing a motor is HARD.

I think we all know where this was going. It wouldn't be AI otherwise.

Disclaimer: I am not a good photographer and the Moto RazrM is not a good camera. You have been warned.

Starting last Sunday I began taking the motor and transmission out as a unit, with help from the previous owner. We commenced activity at 10:00. Googled instructions consisted of highly technical and descriptive language such as: "Remove exhaust. Remove driveshafts. Remove (X)." and so forth. My buddy was beginning to form doubts about my planning. I did get a hot tip to just pull the harness through the firewall and leave it connected to the motor.

The only thing I forgot to disconnect was the power steering. Disconnected those two hoses and out she comes!

We stopped there for the evening. It was 17:00, and we'd taken an hour lunch at 14:00. Forums users claim to have pulled these motors in as little as 1.5 hours. I call bullshit.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The next day after work I wanted to get the transmission off and get the motor on the stand. One of these was no problem.
What an adorably tiny clutch :kiddo:

Some forums users recommended that I use the stock bolts to connect the motor to the stand. I would have, if the drat things were long enough :argh:
Off to Lowes to buy bolts at retail prices: $5 each for the M12x1.5x80mm bolts and two three-packs of M12 washers (WHO THE gently caress SELLS THREE PACKS OF WASHERS. ASSHOLES, THAT'S WHO).
Looking at all the poo poo hanging off this thing was somewhat intimidating and I started thinking that I had made a huge mistake.

Of course, when you use a zipgun bad things happen occasionally. It just wouldn't be fun without a broken bolt...

I got a lot of stuff off of the block and had a few moments of "oh poo poo" when I looked at a bunch of bolts in the pan I had no clue about or when I saw a few connector pigtails or vacuum lines with no label, but I eventually bagged and tagged or put the bolts back where they came from and labeled the connectors with some minor backtracking. I called it a night after I got stuck on the crank pulley; I needed to go get a puller but it was 2AM and I had no idea where the time went. I leave you with a really lovely picture of the place where all the coolant pissed out the back of the head.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Next day I picked up a puller on the way home from work. Popped the pulley right off and some careful prybar use got me the timing gear, and now I had this:

Cams gotta come out to get to the head bolts, so that's next.

Stay organized!

Cylinders be like :gonk: :raise: :) :)

Cylinder 3: slightly blown, but I don't think we were actually losing compression yet.

Cylinder 4: Definitely venting to cooling system, and you can see where the coolant passage on the back of the head blew out as well.

Obligatory headgasket shot

Now to take a look at the bores. Since I was working backwards, 4-3-2-1, that's how I'm posting them.

As you can see, 1 and 2 look pretty good, but 3 and 4 have some corrosion from coolant leaking into the cylinders. I'll probably have to get rings and a hone. Ah, well.

That's really all I can do here. I'm not pulling apart the bottom end (other than having the machine shop pull the pistons to do a hone), since there was no coolant in the oil and they're probably fine, and I can't do the head job as good as I'd like. I'll probably polish up the intake runners and ensure they're deburred for that extra smidgeon of efficiency and get all the filth off of everything that came off of this thing. I want something shiny and chrome clean to go back in to what is going to be a shiny and chrome clean engine bay, because this motor is going to have a full set of gaskets, hoses, vacuum lines, belts, and whatever else I can replace, and if it leaks I want to see from where immediately and fix it.

Now taking suggestions as to what color I should paint the block :getin: Bright red?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Nice project!
I've always wanted a white fx16 gts. I know of an old lady owned one too!

It would be an awesome daily!

Beach Bum posted:

As you can see, 1 and 2 look pretty good, but 3 and 4 have some corrosion from coolant leaking into the cylinders. I'll probably have to get rings and a hone. Ah, well.

Now taking suggestions as to what color I should paint the block :getin: Bright red?
Wipe the cylinder bores down with some wd-40 and a rag. If you can still feel the pitting, hone it. I would just slap a head gasket and new upper and lower seals/gaskets. It doesn't look that bad to me.

Of course on the bright red!!!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

mafoose posted:

Nice project!
I've always wanted a white fx16 gts. I know of an old lady owned one too!

It would be an awesome daily!
It was a wonderful daily while it lasted. Totally obnoxious exhaust combined with 7000RPM is just :circlefap:

This one isn't a GTS but I intend to make it badder than a GTS ever had a right to be. Eventually. For now it needs to be the practical, reliable Miata alternative so I can finally get around to building a dedicated racecar.

mafoose posted:

Wipe the cylinder bores down with some wd-40 and a rag. If you can still feel the pitting, hone it. I would just slap a head gasket and new upper and lower seals/gaskets. It doesn't look that bad to me.

Of course on the bright red!!!

I hit them with oil from the lifter/cam extraction and then wiped it down with a shop rag but I can feel ridges with my fingernail.

Talked to my machinist at the bar tonight. Apparently my head is what might not be salvageable. I didn't notice any issues myself when I inspected the head deck but this is the first time I've ever had a motor apart, much less a 4A-GE. He did say that he only "inspected" it as he was walking full speed past it towards another job. We shall see.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 13, 2015

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

mafoose posted:

It doesn't look that bad to me either. A while back I bought a $350 940 Turbo that had been overheated really badly; it had zero compression and the head looked like a banana when I checked it with a straightedge. When I got it off 3 of the 4 bores looked like this:

I couldn't feel it with my fingernail so I wiped off the surface rust, slapped a junkyard head on with a fresh gasket, and it fired right up. Gotta love redblocks. :black101:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Machinist sent me pictures of the worst of the corrosion. Distilled water in your cooling systems, people!

This is the exhaust side of #1. He told me that was the worst spot.

Time to look for a new head, I suppose.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Machine shop finally called me about my stuff. Flywheel was resurfaced just fine. That's the only thing that went well though.

They told me that they refuse to remove the rotating assembly to hone the cylinders then reassemble using the existing parts. They want all new parts (bearings/rings/etc) to go back in or they won't warranty the work. I'd ask them to waive the warranty but that would mean I'd have absolutely no recourse if they didn't put everything back together in the original places. I asked them if they'd accept a bare block (Me remove rotating assembly) and got an okay. They're also fine with transferring all the old head parts to a less mangled bare head.

I've been lazy and not bought a head yet. Gonna go pick up the block sometime this week and post more teardown pictures. This is already as far I've ever been into a motor, now taking the rotating assembly out... It's not as scary anymore really.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What colour 4AGE is it, blue top or red top?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

You Am I posted:

What colour 4AGE is it, blue top or red top?

Bluetop, bigport TVIS.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Beach Bum posted:

Machine shop finally called me about my stuff. Flywheel was resurfaced just fine. That's the only thing that went well though.

They told me that they refuse to remove the rotating assembly to hone the cylinders then reassemble using the existing parts. They want all new parts (bearings/rings/etc) to go back in or they won't warranty the work. I'd ask them to waive the warranty but that would mean I'd have absolutely no recourse if they didn't put everything back together in the original places. I asked them if they'd accept a bare block (Me remove rotating assembly) and got an okay. They're also fine with transferring all the old head parts to a less mangled bare head.

I've been lazy and not bought a head yet. Gonna go pick up the block sometime this week and post more teardown pictures. This is already as far I've ever been into a motor, now taking the rotating assembly out... It's not as scary anymore really.

I would chuck bearings and rings in it anyway, better now while its apart. didnt know they made an ae82 3 door we only got the 5 doors here in aus.

e: Do you have the stock steering wheel? much of my formative hooning years were spent in ke/ae/te7xs and that wheel was the one to have

big dong wanter fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 11, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Beach Bum posted:

Bluetop, bigport TVIS.

Ah, the first gen motor :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I would chuck bearings and rings in it anyway, better now while its apart. didnt know they made an ae82 3 door we only got the 5 doors here in aus.

e: Do you have the stock steering wheel? much of my formative hooning years were spent in ke/ae/te7xs and that wheel was the one to have

I don't have a photo handy, but yes, stock steering wheel.

Dropped off the "new" head at the shop today. I was shown around the shop by the owner, a fact which was unbeknownst to me until I asked for his name. He told me that the corrosion on the cylinder walls was absolutely nothing to worry about and that I should just get the head done with a valve job and stem seals. I should have the head/block/flywheel back in my possession next week and then I'll start throwing it back together.

Ohgod, I just had a thought. When we unboxed the head, it had red valve covers. I didnt' see the letters or get a look at the intake ports. I hope that this is a bigport head they sent me. I ordered an '87 head which should be the bigport model.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

TBH I would just wipe the rust off the bores and move on with life. It doesn't look very bad. Remember, HotRod made over 1200hp on a 4.8L block with far worse rust pitting in a bore than that, and did 60 dyno pulls with it with no evidence of damage.

I wish we had cars that rust free up here :sigh: I don't think I've seen one of those in ten or fifteen years now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Everything was going back together SO SMOOTHLY and one of the oil pump bolts snapped on installation. Absolutely no warning whatsoever, was at all of about 10 ftlbs and it just cracked off deep in the hole.

Ugh. I'd have had more to post but I am just so pissed off right now. There is no reason for this to have happened.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Bought the Craftsman extractor set and a set of cobalt bits at Sears today. Gonna break out the drill guide and the old Makita. CommieGIR, bless me with your magic :pray:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 31, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Left-handed bits, I hope? If it snapped off that easily, it probably isn't seized too badly.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Left-handed bits, I hope? If it snapped off that easily, it probably isn't seized too badly.

They didn't have left-handed cobalt bits. The extractors are left-handed though.

I'm thinking it shouldn't be very difficult either.

I'm also thinking that I should just go ahead and replace all of those bolts now while I've got the chance. Would this be an intelligent decision or am I just chasing ghosts and bad luck?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

They didn't have left-handed cobalt bits. The extractors are left-handed though.

I'm thinking it shouldn't be very difficult either.

I'm also thinking that I should just go ahead and replace all of those bolts now while I've got the chance. Would this be an intelligent decision or am I just chasing ghosts and bad luck?
Yeah, they can be tough to find, but drilling with a normal bit is just going to push it in harder. Left handers have the chance of removing it without the extractors, which can be tricky. Just make sure to drill it on center. If it starts to wander, just stop and think about hitting up a machine shop. Hell, you might just start there. I used to curse and try to extract broken exhaust manifold studs with just a propane torch and drill, but soon learned to take the manifold to a shop, and :20bux: later, the studs were out, the threads were chased, and no damage was done.
I generally try to replace hardware if it looks cruddy, but make sure you use the same grade and style (flanged head, etc). Junkyard bolts and Anti-sieze are your friends, too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My local Home Depot has a pretty legit selection of auto hardware. I picked up a replacement set of bolts after I felt another bolt starting to stretch before torque value (checked against the other replacement bolt; threads definitely off).

I stripped a stud on the oil pump pickup; yanked that piece of poo poo with Vice Grips and replaced it with one of the bolts from the inner timing cover. Home Depot is closed and I'm not wasting the half-tube of RTV that I used laying the oil pan gasket.

I promise I'm going to have pictures of this edited in eventually; I'm only here now because I have to let the RTV on the oil pan cure for an hour before torquing it down.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 1, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ever since I snapped that stud off in the head on my XJ at 3am Monday morning in the shop at work (4 hours before it had to be out the door) my rule has been 100% new exhaust fasteners and all threaded holes must be chased with a tap before anything goes back together. It has probably saved my rear end a few times now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Ever since I snapped that stud off in the head on my XJ at 3am Monday morning in the shop at work (4 hours before it had to be out the door) my rule has been 100% new exhaust fasteners and all threaded holes must be chased with a tap before anything goes back together. It has probably saved my rear end a few times now.

I don't have a tap set yet. It's on the list, though. I've just spent entirely too much money this month on car poo poo and some tools I didn't have. I'd have had the money for the tap set if I hadn't had to buy a clutch set for the Miata (drat transmission finally started death-rattling last week after two years of whining; I've had a spare trans sitting in the garage with new seals ready to go for a couple years).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I nearly put myself into heatstroke just now with this lovely Florida heat, so I'm going to upload some photos and do an update.

As nervewracked as I was, that broken bolt came out just fine. Cobalt bits go through Grade 6 bolts like a hot knife through butter. I did have to make a run to Home Depot to pick up a tap wrench for the extractor since I forgot to buy one at Sears.

:black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17zwdcifHQ

I decided to buy new hardware. There were no Grade 6 flanged bolts, so I used 8.8. I am extremely nervous about using non-OEM spec hardware on the lubrication system.

Backtracking a bit, before the oil pump fiasco I installed the head.

Shiny "new" head, hot tanked and machined.
As I had to take the cams back out to install the head bolts, I found out the shop was nice enough to add assembly lube when they put the cams in. Nice folks.

Now to start in on this pile of poo poo.

You can still see some corrosion on the walls of 3 & 4, but the rag+WD-40 worked out pretty good.

Head On, Applied Directly to the Block.
22 ft-lbs, then 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees. That last 90 is a real bitch. It is also specifically stated that you chase the threads and add engine oil to them.
I chased the threads with an old bolt that I had the shop slot out for me, and the threads got a dip in 15w-50 before installation.

[...something something manifolds/cooling system bits installed here...]

ULTRA BLACK
Toyota doesn't use oil pan gaskets, so you gotta make your own.

Installing the oilpan is a time sensitive affair; you lay a bead of gasket on the block, install the windage tray, install the oil pump pickup, lay another bead of gasket on the windage tray, then install the pan. Finger tighten the bolts, let the gasket cure for an hour, then torque it down to 4-6 ft-lbs. If you do it right, you get just a little bit of gasket squishing out, like this:

There are now more bits on the stand than there are on the floor.

I thought about deleting the EGR system, but I don't have a blockoff plate or a solid bolt to go into the exhaust manifold. It's easy enough to remove while in the car, so maybe later. For now, ONWARD. In this lovely Florida heat.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 7, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
THE MOTOR IS IN THE CAR. I REPEAT: THE MOTOR IS IN THE CAR.

Pictures tomorrow. I am loving beat.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Beach Bum posted:

THE MOTOR IS IN THE CAR. I REPEAT: THE MOTOR IS IN THE CAR.

Pictures tomorrow. I am loving beat.

Aaayyyy :toot:

Feels good, don't it?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Now that we're done with that little spoiler we need to get back on track a bit. I just got a bit excited.

We last left the motor on the stand in the middle of Saturday in my Florida based outdoor oven garage with the manifolds and bits installed.

Cam belt installed. Timing this thing was cake.

Timing covers installed.

Distributor installed

Something has been looming over me this entire time but there's no putting it off anymore. I feel harnessed with this burden that I simply must overcome.

Labeling everything was so incredibly important, and made the install nothing more than tedious instead of nervewracking.

The thermostat is different from what I've seen. Instead of a tight fit in the housing and a gasket, it uses a split o-ring that fits around the thermostat, locating it snugly in the housing and also sealing the housing.

At this point I had to go get a package from inside containing some very important bits for the injectors. Instead of a normal arrangement of an o-ring on either end, the 4A-GE requires a vibration damper and o-ring on the top and a grommet type thingy on the bottom (basically a really big thick o-ring).

Now I gotta get the drat transmission on. But wait, I have clutch hardware!

Oh goddammit. Wrong loving bearing.

The PO gave me the clutch kit and the store must have given him a kit for a RWD 4A-GE car. I cleaned all the old grease out of the inner race and lubed it up with new stuff. It felt pretty good so here's hoping.

Installing new rear main seal required specialized tools.

Holding the flywheel down also requires special tools. Blue locktite on the threads.

Pressure plate installed. Blue locktite here as well.

I don't "take it easy" on my cars and this thing spins to 7700. While the proper clockwise rotation of the motor would send any clutch bits spinning off towards the front of the car if it made contact with the ground that's still a lot of kinetic energy I don't want rattling loose.

Transmission mated to the engine. This is a lovely pain in the rear end that I never want to repeat ever again. How are you supposed to do with without losing your mind?! I learned no tricks for this.

New motor mounts because why the hell not. The 9121 (supposed to be the front mount) was wrong anyway. At least it's the easiest one to change with motor in car.

Motor going in

I taught myself a neat trick: lower the rear end of the tranny under the AC pipes and slide the mount into its ears and bolt it in. Go back and remove the crank pulley and AC compressor bracket. Slowly lower the motor in, adjusting your load leveler to keep the weight distributed evenly. Attach the front mount, slide it home, and boom, you're at liberty to install the lower mounts and crossmember. This was actually a hell of a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I sure as hell didn't think I was going to be able to pull it off solo.

Motor is IN.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Aaayyyy :toot:

Feels good, don't it?

:clint: drat right it does. I went and had a beer.

Hooked up

This was a lot of annoying fiddly bullshit so you don't get any fancy pants progress pictures. Just imagine that I turned loose a bunch of elves (oh god if only it were that easy).
I had bad thoughts about accidentally starting the motor with no oil in it so I went ahead and did that so I would stop obsessing about the ashamed post I would have to write if I lunched the bottom end just before the end of this minor ordeal.

I also put coolant in it. Remember that corroded head? Yeah it's time to go top-grade with the water and coolant. Only the best.

Coolant was Advance branded green stuff too. Should be good enough.

Battery and smoke test

Now, if I did everything right, when I hook up the battery nothing should make any bad noises or smells and all the magic smoke stays right where it's supposed to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSy2NoZv9d0

Whew.

Time to start it up. Let's go get the keys. Where the gently caress are my keys?

Turns out that when my buddy came over to do important things like pump the clutch, stand on the brakes so I could torque the CV Axle nuts, and run me around town for some parts, he accidentally kept the keys I gave him to unlock the car.

At least there's always beer.

~The Next Day~

I was groggily awakened at 11am, having been up until 5AM playing Heroes of the Storm and browsing Imgur. I answered the door in a towel, and there stands ol' buddy boy and his wife with my keys, apologetic. He also really wants me to get pants on so he can see if I'm a gigantic fuckup or not. I've been waiting for the answer to this question for some time as well so I kindly oblige.

The first start attempt did not make it to video. It also failed, because the fuel return line blew off (I had forgotten the clamp) and sprayed gasoline everywhere. I also noticed a vacuum line on the intake wasn't plugged in so I fixed that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9tXEF69Q_M

Thank the gods, it loving lives, and it sounds absolutely creamy.

After a quick belt retensioning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MskpYG40sFw

It's leaking some coolant from the pipe over the distributor due to the pipe being corroded to poo poo, I had to redo the oil cooler return line to the pan with new crush washers, but today I drove it to work and everything and ohmygod I've not stopped grinning from ear to ear now that I've got my little red car back :3:

Stay tuned for next week's episode: NA Miata Transmission swap. I'm gonna go hoon around in my little red car.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 10, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I learned to slowly turn each bolt for the trans to the engine mounting. Then that rapper dude made the wiggle wiggle song and they would sing that song at work when I had to do and engine to trans mount. And its true, if everything feels to tight wiggle the trans. also turn each bolt two full turns before going to the next one. It really helps. my first time mating and engine to trans was a nightmare because I just went crazy and it ended with me tapping out bolts from an old Honda block.......

:suicide:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

I learned to slowly turn each bolt for the trans to the engine mounting. Then that rapper dude made the wiggle wiggle song and they would sing that song at work when I had to do and engine to trans mount. And its true, if everything feels to tight wiggle the trans. also turn each bolt two full turns before going to the next one. It really helps. my first time mating and engine to trans was a nightmare because I just went crazy and it ended with me tapping out bolts from an old Honda block.......

:suicide:

You mean this one? oh god it's stuck in my head and won't stop :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiP14ED28CA&t=48s

Nah the main issue I had is that I had to turn the transmission 30 degrees to the left while lifting it at the same time trying to line up the input shaft. Once I got the passenger output shaft flange past the bellhousing and the input shaft home I was able to just shove it in flush.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I REED GUD! and now realise you were loving with a manual trans vehicle? Which is a whore of a different nature. But its done and you have a sweet little toyo to make vroom vroom noises with.

Edit: watched the video. Never new it actually had a video I have always just heard it in the background of twerk videos.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Awesome thread :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It's getting close and closer to moving day and I've been playing go-fer for the bank and the realtor. The Garage will be moving soon. Still need to do the trans on the Miata.

I traced an oil leak on the Toyota to the distributor and replaced the oil ring on the housing, along with the cap and rotor which were carbon blasted to death. I checked on the leak again and it turns out it's the shaft seal in the distributor that has failed, which explains why the distributor was so drat filthy inside when I had the motor apart and was cleaning everything.

Otherwise it's been running like a champ. I dumped the clutch making a questionable gap yesterday afternoon and accidentally laid down 50 miles of tire. FWD cars are weird man.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Good work on the Corolla! It's always a good feeling to know you didn't forget anything on install. I'm always slightly nervous right up until it turns over for the first time.

House-buying derail:

I absolutely do not miss getting all the documents for buying a house. My idiot lender decided to make me eat $800 in tax penalties to cash in a 3 month old Roth IRA (available to be cashed in at any time in an emergency), because they wanted $800 more of a cash buffer above the $5,000 I already had as a cash buffer. How the gently caress that makes any financial sense, aside from checking boxes, is beyond me. I hope you don't have to go through the same fuckery.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Good work on the Corolla! It's always a good feeling to know you didn't forget anything on install. I'm always slightly nervous right up until it turns over for the first time.

House-buying derail:

I absolutely do not miss getting all the documents for buying a house. My idiot lender decided to make me eat $800 in tax penalties to cash in a 3 month old Roth IRA (available to be cashed in at any time in an emergency), because they wanted $800 more of a cash buffer above the $5,000 I already had as a cash buffer. How the gently caress that makes any financial sense, aside from checking boxes, is beyond me. I hope you don't have to go through the same fuckery.

I got a deal with a USDA loan for $500 down (+ inspection fees and whatnot) so I only need around $1500 cash to get in. My realtor/lender are amazing folks.

I am very excited to have my own drat place but the stress is driving me up the wall.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Something absolutely amazing happened on Friday, but I went to PC for a bachelor party weekend with some bros and I was not sober enough at any time between 11PM Friday and about 10AM this morning to pull out the laptop and write this post.

So I've owned some BMWs before, but it was all E30/E36. Now, this other guy I used to work with had a clean, gorgeous 1984 633CSi. This man took hella good care of this car. Always garaged, washed and polished up to a mirror finish, good running condition. I drooled over this car. Constantly. He's pretty AI in mentality, loves cars, understands my hopeless obsession with his 6.

Now, I haven't really kept up with him since he left. Out of the blue, he asks for my cell number on Facebook and he sends me this text:

Hey do you want my 6er?
For free../

:stonk:

I thought he was loving with me. There's no way. This car is in immaculate condition and I think he could get $10k out of it and he wants to just GIVE IT to me no loving way WHAT

Nope. dead serious. Apparently it gave out on him when he went to the gym last week. Told me he thinks it's the fuel pump, but he doesn't have the time these days to chase issues and is instead buying a 645 convertible he got a deal on. So he's just going to give it to me, because he saw how much effort I put into my other BMWs and couldn't think of anyone else he'd trust more to take care of the car.

She still looks like a million bucks, but it's time she went to someone who can spend more time with her...
She's got new tires all around...
She's drive able, but you'll probably want to replace her front end before too long...
Her instrument cluster is a little flaky, but she's NEVER overheated and burns very little oil.
And she has a brand new exhaust (straight pipe to muffler)

Ken, I would be absolutely honored. I am in a state of shock right now.

I know you'll love her as much as I do... And there's nobody I'd trust with her more than you.

So yeah. I'm meeting up with him sometime this week to get the title.

Oh. Yeah. Did I mention it's was beautiful/immaculate/gorgeous/cleeean as fuuuck/etc.?

I have no idea what I did to deserve this but I'm sitting here wondering what deity suddenly took an interest in bettering my affairs and deciding to lob me a real softball of a pitch, and how I may best devote my soul to their service.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 28, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy gently caress. I don't even know what else to say.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Amazing. Who even cares what's wrong with it when it looks that good and is FREE.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Absolutely gorgeous 6er!

You could do what I did and convert to a single HP intank pump. It's pretty much whisper quiet, yet good for like 500-600hp.

Front suspension stuff is not cheap because the cheap stuff is junk. Run e32 upper arms as they last much longer (it might be the 750iL ones that have the inserts). The gauge cluster probably needs the SI board worked on.

Good luck with it! I miss mine, it's been at paint for a few months now...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat, you better clean out that garage you're gonna need a nice home for her :)

What part of FL are you in?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy gently caress. I don't even know what else to say.

That's pretty much all you can say for about ten minutes straight.

leica posted:

drat, you better clean out that garage you're gonna need a nice home for her :)

Yeeeup. I'm gonna build some shelves and cabinets I think, once I get most of my crap into the new place. I'll be able to use that desk in there for a proper office, instead of a waste of space in the garage, and my old man will be taking all of his tools to mom's house.

leica posted:

What part of FL are you in?

Tallahassee. Been here drat near all my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Even if it isn't a 5 speed that's a really nice car, great color. What's the interior look like?

• Locked thread