Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Yeah I gotta dig myself out of some debt before even considering a bike again. I do have a basket case 2002 KX250 that I am finally piecing back together though, so I'll keep that for awhile I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hi I'd just like to say that owning a SuperDuke is the best and sorry for your loss :rip:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah I gotta dig myself out of some debt before even considering a bike again. I do have a basket case 2002 KX250 that I am finally piecing back together though, so I'll keep that for awhile I guess.

Yeah that's totally reasonable.

In other news, I'm going to try and retrofit ABS to the Brammo. Can't ever have too many projects!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oi Z3n, you're a smart dude. Can I retrofit ABS to my 690SMC? Mine is a 2008.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

Oi Z3n, you're a smart dude. Can I retrofit ABS to my 690SMC? Mine is a 2008.

Z3n uses effort post!

Ok, so, ABS:

There are 2 major companies that do ABS - Bosch and Continental. There's a mix across manufacturers, my 1290/early BMWs use Bosch, and the S1000XR / new BMWs use the Continental system. Bosch is the long standing player in the field, with Continental a relative newcomer, working primarily with BMW for now, and is an advance IMU/cornering type system.

ABS systems come in a couple of configurations. The simplest ones are essentially piggyback systems - they accept power/brake functionality from the bike, have a couple of independent hall effect sensors that go from the ABS unit to the wheel speed sensors - these systems are pretty common across the board, and typically fitted to budget bikes and such - nearly all early ABS systems were of this form - wheel speed sensors only. It's important to think of these systems as "matched sets", though, as the ABS control unit is integrated on to the pump, and is pre-programmed for the number of cutouts on the reluctor ring. They're also going to be optimized to a particular wheel size, and there's likely some rate of change stuff in there that's determined by the overall weight and dimensions of the bike. But ultimately, these are relatively simple systems that do nothing but make sure that if rate of change at the wheels exceeds a certain fixed value, the ABS engages, and doesn't release until the wheel starts spinning again. These systems are likely to be pretty easy to retrofit.

Then there's the more complex systems that rely on the IMU/gyro setups, more complex relationships between the ECU, road speed, braking force, etc, etc, etc. Those systems are, for now, out of the bounds of reasonable retrofitting, as you're talking about spoofing a bunch of additional, arbitrary data, like proprietary implementations of ECU communications, blah blah blah.

The ideal for retrofitting is: Matched to your wheel sizes, matched roughly to your motorcycle's expected braking performance/weight, ECU independent, cheap, and widely available, with the ABS sensors and reluctor rings as independent components from the braking system/wiring harness. The more modern you can get on the hardware, as well, the better - I'm broadly assuming that there are improvements in sampling rates, internal models for wheel rate of change, etc, etc.

For the Brammo, in interests of keeping prices reasonable, we're going with a Ninja 650 system, which fits almost all of the ideals - the only one it doesn't is the reluctor rings are riveted to the rotors. The total cost for raw parts thus far is around $360 bucks from eBay - I expect all in, pricing will be around $600 if I don't have to get custom reluctors made, if I do, well, probably closer to $800. Most of the remaining cost is going to be in custom lines - Venhill is my new favorite company, because they do swivel fitting custom lines, with any banjo bend available in a wide variety of colors for $45 a line. A huge part of the pain in the rear end of setups like this is figuring out the routing of your brake lines / angles and such, so being able to fit those things makes like SIGNIFICANTLY easier. Bleeding a custom system like this will be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but it shouldn't be too bad. There's also some minor concerns around packaging and such, the ABS pump is about the size of your fist, and needs to be mounted somewhere where you can run lines from the master cylinders to the ABS pump and back to the calipers.

So now that I haven't answered your question at all:

Retrofitting ABS to a 690 would be interesting. I think the biggest problems you'd run into would be that the bike is relatively light weight, and might be able to cause a greater rate of wheel speed change than the ABS system would expect under normal usage. You're also unlikely to be able to fit a system that supports supermoto mode/no rear ABS without some pretty significant work. But - I'd bet you could easily fit a Ninja 650 system to the bike. Throw a switch on it to disable it when you want to back it in or ride like an idiot, and it'd let you add in the safety margin during normal commuting for sure.

The crazier option would be to pick up a complete setup off a 690 Duke ABS, and fit the entire wiring harness/electrical system to the 690, piggyback fueling on it to match the SMC engine tuning, but I think that'd probably run you quite a bit of money/work unless you were going to find a crashed 690 Duke ABS and part out the rest of it to fund your ABS swap.

Because I've already done the work and may as well save someone else the trouble:

Ninja 650 Wiring Harness / ABS Connector posted:

Black & White - Front wheel speed sensor
Green & Red - Rear wheel speed sensor
Red w/ white - fused power
Red w/ yellow - fused power
Blue (x2) - brake light sensor
Yellow w/green - LED
Brown - Ignition power
Black w/ yellow - ground
Blue - frame ground

The Brammo has the fittings for additional fuses and such, so I'm hoping that I can wiring everything as if it the system were OEM. The open questions for me at the moment are as follows: There's 2 types of fused power, an ignition lead, and a line that taps into the brake line. I'm unsure of what the brake line tap does - if the ABS system only engages when the brake light is on (which makes sense - you don't want the system engaging if the brakes aren't being used), that would make an easy bypass for hooligan configuration - just have a switch on that line that cuts the connection to the brake lights. The ABS system will probably lose its mind at that point if you lock the tires, but it should be easily fixable by a power cycle.

I'm hoping when all of this is said and done, it'll be clear and simple enough that I can essentially make a "kit" for other bikes, as being able to spend 500 bucks to add ABS to bikes would be pretty fantastic (for example, on the CBX).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hmm, interesting. So finding a trashed smc-r with abs and swapping it over isn't quite that straight forward.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You could do that was well but a wrecked SMC-R is super hard to come by in my area.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
Really love the idea of retrofitting the ABS. The Brammo is too good of a bike to let sit... And it's such a practical idea! I'm not used to thinking that about your projects. :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

You could do that was well but a wrecked SMC-R is super hard to come by in my area.

Fixed for SoCal, although I doubt it's that much different anywhere in the US. I've been regularly searching craigslist for any 690 variants in my area for 4+ years now and have yet to see an R. Only one I've ever come across was randomly parked in the lot at work.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm in Australia, there's literally none for sale in the entire country since I brought mine 4 months ago.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well I'm borrowing a friend's 690 for the sheet iron 300 - definitely shouldn't be allowed to have one of those again!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Well I'm borrowing a friend's 690 for the sheet iron 300 - definitely shouldn't be allowed to have one of those again!

Z3n, do you still have the stickers on the side of your SuperDuke? I might have seen you on 101 the other day

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Which stickers? Probably not me though as my 1290 has been off the road for awhile.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

S1000XR has developed an insatiable lust for headlight bulbs. Must talk to dealership about this.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll make sure you can inspect them as you follow me around this weekend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well yeah.

Nerd poo poo warning: if you like relatively simple applied physics poo poo, check this out - http://www.epi-eng.com/index.html

Their tech papers are amazing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Nerd poo poo warning: if you like relatively simple applied physics poo poo, check this out - http://www.epi-eng.com/index.html

Goodbye, evening.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Which stickers? Probably not me though as my 1290 has been off the road for awhile.

Big orange ones on the side of the gas tank.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Hey Z3n, I have a question about your XR. Can you email me at ...

Kastivich fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 9, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is your opinion on the great city of Philadelphia?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lovely place, enjoyed my time there. I use this email ironically.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There's a Philadelphia besides the one in Pennsylvania?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Kastivich posted:

Hey Z3n, I have a question about your XR. Can you email me at ih8philly@gmail.com

Email sent.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh and I have a bunch of stuff I've been working on updates soon :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Oh and I have a bunch of stuff I've been working on updates soon :)

Eagerly awaiting

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

As far as retrofitting ABS goes, how do you get sensor rings on a bike that's never had them? Mill slots into the ends of the rotors and mount hall effect sensors there?

My friend desperately wants ABS on his 1964 BMW R50, and I kept telling him it's nigh impossible, but your posts give me hope.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

As far as retrofitting ABS goes, how do you get sensor rings on a bike that's never had them? Mill slots into the ends of the rotors and mount hall effect sensors there?

My friend desperately wants ABS on his 1964 BMW R50, and I kept telling him it's nigh impossible, but your posts give me hope.

Wouldn't it be possible to find rotors with the same diameter / mounting holes but with rings?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Plan is to just CAD up some stuff and get it water jet /plasma / laser cut from a plate of steel. Anything else is excessive and complicated, that solution is cheap and easy. On the Brammo I'll need to do it on the sprocket side for the rear wheel.

Problem Id see with doing the swap on an old BMW is you need hydraulic brakes front and rear, and a reliable 12v system. If those things are available, then it's totally doable. I'd measure the wheels and try and find an abs system that uses similar wheel sizes but you could probably get away with faking it by adjusting the number of slots to take into account the difference in wheel sizes from a 17 inch setup. It wouldn't be an absolutely perfect setup but the primary function here is to insta-release on a locked brake so it should be still better than human. Would need testing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just adventure things :allears:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 24, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This is why you should always be riding a wheelie.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Just adventure things :allears:

quoting just so I can see what the hell this massive picture is supposed to be on PC.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

quoting just so I can see what the hell this massive picture is supposed to be on PC.

Someone hit a rock.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Hahahaha yes. Any video of the gasoline bead seat?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh whoops forgot to timg it.

But all in, fun was had.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Oh whoops forgot to timg it.

But all in, fun was had.

Can you please explain why that particular fix and how it worked? Also, just how fast were you going when you hit that rock?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Can you please explain why that particular fix and how it worked? Also, just how fast were you going when you hit that rock?

I'm just the builder for that bike, the owner was riding it at the time. He hit a square edged concrete bridge corner that had been exposed from use - probably about 4 inches tall - at around 40mph. Instantly deflated the tire, and bent both sides of the rim. We spent some time hammering the wheel back into some semblance of shape, which knocked it off the bead. At this point, I went off to snag the recovery vehicle. They continued working on it, resetting the bead with gasoline, then they packed the remaining gap with tire plugs - which sealed, but without positive pressure, as the tire rotated, the plugs themselves didn't have enough strength to hold. So a curved stick, bailing wired to the wheel, provided enough positive pressure that the tire plugs sealed against the edge of the stick and it was rideable, slowly. They were limping it out and I ended up meeting them while they were rolling out.

That was, of course, the second bent rim incident - the first one was fixed by just using a hammer and block of wood to straighten the rim enough that it only had a slow leak.

Apparently, superduke rims aren't made for offroad use. Who could have guessed!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 24, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, I've got a couple minutes to hammer out a thing here from my phone, and the go ahead to start breaking cover, so here's the the sneak peek of what I've been working on - the KTM 1290 SM-R.

KTM parts are basically motorcycle Legos, and about a year ago I did the initial research on this but lacked the need to make this bike. As it turns out, a buddy was selling his 1290 racebike and I managed to find another buddy who wanted me to do the build, so off we went.

The mod list looks roughly like this:
950 SM forks (200mm of travel)
Aftermarket brake lines to fit + Suzuki brake line distributor
Harley Davidson fork brace, drilled to mount 950SM fender
Machined out some prototype rearset relocators that allow for fitment of OEM 1190 Adventure R pegs.
OEM Duke 690 bar
1290 super adventure header, cut down 90mm to fit OEM SuperDuke exhaust
1190 adventure r shock
1190 skid plate
Plus a few other odds and ends in the process

After that point (pre exhaust cutting) the bike looked like this:

And of course, how to better break it in than to fit TKC80s:

Test ride it:

And then send it off to the sheetiron 300, an off-road rally of 300 miles in Northern California:

And that is how you got the story above.

There's a video coming out soon detailing the Sheetiron 300 testing event - I'll post it up when it comes out. And I'll have a longer post here covering the full build, but until then, you'll have to content yourself with this preview.

Oh, and in 2 weeks it goes to the track for the first time. Refit Q3s and off we go.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
That is so cool. There is a 990 smr for sale here at $8k and I want it so, so bad.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dear god. Looks like a lot of fun when (lol) you catch traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

El Jebus posted:

That is so cool. There is a 990 smr for sale here at $8k and I want it so, so bad.

So here's the crazy thing - this was a screaming deal on a SuperDuke but I think the full cost of the build is less than +3k on the cost of the base SuperDuke. This is all in, less than a new SuperDuke would have cost him.

• Locked thread