Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So, regarding your EX650 ABS hack, I was reading up on the parts and it sounds like the computer for it is calibrated for specific wheel/tire sizes. They warn against fitting nonstandard tire sizes which I assume means the computer is programmed to accept only a fixed ratio of revs of the front wheel as compared to the rear. Of course the 650 has 120/70-17 front and 160/60-17 rear and a CBX has 19 front 18 rear. Did you have a solution for that?

Yeah - it's getting a 120/70-17 front and a 180/55 rear off a ZRX. I don't think you could effectively compensate for full different wheel sizes instead of tire sizes without custom reluctor rings which would probably reduce efficiency, but the overall size when mounted of the 160/60 and the 180/55 are pretty close, so it should be possible to mount up a set of tires and have them come in pretty close. Absolute worst case, I'll fit a 4.5 inch rear rim or just spoon a 170 on the 5.5 inch rim...but I don't think that will be an issue.

All ABS systems warn about changing tires "away from spec", but from some digging and reading, all of them initially calibrate themselves when you roll away for the first time. So if that happens and it doesn't throw an ABS error, it should be fine. After that, it's gonna be testing it on dirt and then the road that's gonna be the interesting part! There is also a lot of variation between tire sizes even within 160/60s, so worst case I'll drag my friends Ninja 650 over, measure the tire size, and find a smaller 180 to run. For example - metzler m7rrs are so big when I put the BMW on the centerstand, the rear wheel touches the ground until it wears down a bit. No such problem with other tires I've run on the bike.

rdb, I highly recommend the upgrade :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Interesting. The 650 manual specifically warns against fitting nonstandard tire sizes so I figured it wasn't actually calibrating when it rolled. Aside from that issue I was really tempted to try to fit a system like that on my 1982 R100RT I just bought.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Interesting. The 650 manual specifically warns against fitting nonstandard tire sizes so I figured it wasn't actually calibrating when it rolled. Aside from that issue I was really tempted to try to fit a system like that on my 1982 R100RT I just bought.

Yeah, they're really tetchy about you messing with ABS systems for obvious reasons. I look at it like this: Even a poorly configured ABS system is still vastly better than a human in the wet, and I can easily disable the ABS system to test while I'm riding in the dry. Some testing on asphalt should let me figure out how things are gonna stack up in the dry (as i could see teh ABS system slightly compromising dry braking distance), and some testing of front and rear on dirt will let me figure out how well it's going to handle wet conditions. I'll also do some testing of rear only in the wet that should let me figure out how well it's going to handle slick roads. From there, well, if there's an emergency situation, if all the testing has been positive, I'm sure it'll be better than having no ABS at all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would assume your setup would work just fine, actually, as long as the wiring and hoses and sensors are all in solid shape. ABS isn't that complicated, you just have to feed the computer the input it wants. I'm just annoyed that it has fixed preprogrammed wheel sizes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I would assume your setup would work just fine, actually, as long as the wiring and hoses and sensors are all in solid shape. ABS isn't that complicated, you just have to feed the computer the input it wants. I'm just annoyed that it has fixed preprogrammed wheel sizes.

Yeah there's not much of a way around that. For early BMWs, Aprilia Capos, it might be possible to find ABS systems that have the right wheelsizes for your use case.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
BMW actually does have ABS system that they put on this bike, but they're so goddamn old they almost never work and parts are expensive as gently caress.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BMW actually does have ABS system that they put on this bike, but they're so goddamn old they almost never work and parts are expensive as gently caress.

Weak, no chance of using a more commonly available modern system?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
All the more modern BMW ones either suck or are integrated into high tech electrical (can-bus) systems. I looked into retrofitting an ST4 ABS system onto my ST2 Ducati, even that was a major pain, the parts are too rare and expensive. A Japanese system that runs standalone like that EX650 would be the only viable way to go I'd say.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What about the aprilia caponord systems? Those should be pre-canbus but maybe a touch more available.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I didn't bother checking into any non-Japanese system because of parts availability and price. Just on assumption. V-stroms have a viable system too it looks like, but I can't find anything out there that has front/rear tire circumference ratios similar to my RT.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I didn't bother checking into any non-Japanese system because of parts availability and price. Just on assumption. V-stroms have a viable system too it looks like, but I can't find anything out there that has front/rear tire circumference ratios similar to my RT.

Hmm, could just lace up a 17 inch rear to match the V-Strom setup...wouldn't be OEM but would fix the problem...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Website's finally up for the 1290:
http://1290smr.com

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 9, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

https://www.1290smr.com

Lmao SSL cert error

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao SSL cert error

Doh that's not supposed to be https

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

looks cool but minus points for an HST quote. They're veering toward Ducati with this one.

Interesting that it has bazzaz stuff right out of the box. Is it programmable too?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think you're missing part of the story :ssh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's possible, I gave it a quick glance on my phone is all

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Why the Duke 2 brake lever? Looks sweet though.

Edit: And why different fueling because of the headers? No cat?

High Protein fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 10, 2017

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

http://1290smr.com

Wait a minute.. this is the bike you built.

Here I was getting all wet in the pants thinking this was something that was readily available :argh:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean, it is readily available... from Z3n. :colbert: He even has the base 1290 sitting there, waiting for you to buy it and commision him to slap the extra parts on. (Oh, I wish I had more riding experience to get one of these. :( )

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Coydog posted:

Oh, I wish I had more riding experience money to get one of these. :(

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

I mean, it is readily available... from Z3n. :colbert: He even has the base 1290 sitting there, waiting for you to buy it and commision him to slap the extra parts on. (Oh, I wish I had more riding experience to get one of these. :( )

It's an extremely docile bike, if you can ride an SMC without looping it, you're fine.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's not just the cost of the 1290SMC, you also have to account for the higher insurance and extra ER visits.

High Protein posted:

It's an extremely docile bike, if you can ride an SMC without looping it, you're fine.

The jury is still out on this one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

looks cool but minus points for an HST quote. They're veering toward Ducati with this one.

Interesting that it has bazzaz stuff right out of the box. Is it programmable too?

Man I cannot explain how happy this post made me. The whole point was to make it OEM as possible, so uh, thanks :)

High Protein posted:

Why the Duke 2 brake lever? Looks sweet though.

Edit: And why different fueling because of the headers? No cat?

Mounting style is ideal for my super janky proof of concept rearset plates that I never got a chance to make a final on.

There's a cat on the 1290 Super Adventure header but it's much less restrictive. The stock fueling is super good and the bazzaz with the auto tune unit is the rival of the OEM fueling, which I didn't think possible.

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Wait a minute.. this is the bike you built.

Here I was getting all wet in the pants thinking this was something that was readily available :argh:

There's a parts list at the bottom. This is basically a parts swap build minus the rearset plates.

High Protein posted:

His bike is so easy to ride. I wasn't convinced an aftermarket fuel setup would be as good as stock, I was wrong. I'm okay at wheelies but this bike, setup as it is, can wheelie forever.

Coydog posted:

It's not just the cost of the 1290SMC, you also have to account for the higher insurance and extra ER visits.

The jury is still out on this one.

No ER visits but doesn't hurt to have a lawyer on retainer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Man I cannot explain how happy this post made me. The whole point was to make it OEM as possible, so uh, thanks :)

AS MENTIONED :colbert: I looked quickly on my phone. However, both the site and the bike look pretty OEM if you don't dig into the details.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, didn't throw a pile of effort into the details on this time but might go a little more in depth next time :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Step by step.

Tomorrow, we see if I actually rebuilt a functional engine or just a pretty piece of stand art.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Annnnd it runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMFcTmwPoIQ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:flashfap:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That both sounds and looks fantastic. Great work!

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
That thing sounds amazing! Good job!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It runs awesome. Great work Z3n

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
The whole thing would actually make a fabulous art piece. But it runs just as nicely!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Thanks all - busy AF at work, but still working away on things:

I have ordered a better condition ZX6R swingarm (the one for test fitting has seized bearings and will be sacrificed to make sure there's enough meat on the swingarm to clearance for the back of the engine), weld in shock mounts. I've also ordered a petcock rebuild kit, an Earls 10 row oil cooler, the appropriate AN-10 oil fittings, need to order a dyna ignition. I think this is highly unlikely, but it might be possible to make the ZRX speedo drive work with the CBX gauges.

Besides that, the #4 carb is leaking slightly (probably just some grit on the float needle), I need to take care of some odds and ends, clean up the gas tank, replace the fuel lines, remove the no longer needed electrical components, figure out rear wheel fit/spacers, figure out a rear brake, fit the oil cooler and have the lower oil cooler lines clamped to the fittings by a hydraulic shop, install turn signals, headlight, mirrors. Also need to order custom rear shock upper bushings for fitting the ZRX shocks to the CBX frame.

Once that stuff is done the bike will be rideable.

After that stuff is done, its:
Ducati headlight mounting/wiring
ABS
Replace wiring harness / rewire bike / RFID key
Steering damper / handlebar mounts
Replacement gauges

And then finally, after the engine is broken in nicely and all, and we've had fun for a couple thousand miles, it'll all get torn down for paint/powdercoat/other cosmetic work.

And after that is done, I'll probably try and custom make a 6 into 6 for it, get it all tuned up properly, and see if I can break 100rwhp on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you stealing the rfid off a different bike or is there some aftermarket solution?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Haven't done a lot of digging on this, but DEcosse has done a pile of RFID conversions and I was planning on cribbing from his notes.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/344937-keyless-ignition-part-trois-et-demi.html#/topics/344937?page=1&_k=av4t6m

This one uses some commercial components but ill probably DIY a more traditional RFID setup without the remote.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Z3n posted:

Haven't done a lot of digging on this, but DEcosse has done a pile of RFID conversions and I was planning on cribbing from his notes.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/344937-keyless-ignition-part-trois-et-demi.html#/topics/344937?page=1&_k=av4t6m

This one uses some commercial components but ill probably DIY a more traditional RFID setup without the remote.

I'm very interested to see where this goes. I'd like to something fun like this on my current project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So, I've made some progress and then threw everything together so I could feel like the bike was going somewhere:

Shooting for first ride at end of February.

Have two things to address - the first is the shock bushings (I think i can get away with removing the old metal spacer bound to the bushing), the second is getting the swingarm shock mounts welded on, which requires making sure my test fit and such is in place.

Also, man, the old fuseable link fuses are hilarious.

Oh, and the ignition switch broke, that made for some fun troubleshooting.

• Locked thread