Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

1290 supermoto conversion :getin:

How is this even possible?! Not that I don't think this would be a blend of the two Best Things, I just don't understand how that would work. It's a naked standard, so that's like sumo converting an SV or something.
- How are you going to get the saddle seat going with huge tank?
-Doesn't the 1290 need that fat rear tire?
-Are you just tossing SMC forks on the front, giving it more upright bars, and more swingarm travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thought I had replied to this. oops

Even without the saddle, maybe even especially without the saddle, that 1290 SM is fantastically rad and I'm fully on board. Make sure it has handgaurds and a big dumb dirt fender and it will be awesome. That thing looks like a destroyer of worlds.

Please take lots of pictures of the conversion process. :f5:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are a magician. That sumoduke looks even better than I had imagined. Great execution through and through. Thanks for posting up all of those pictures and info. Is it running tubes now in those wheels?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
CBX-1000? That engine is *so* wide. Now put it in a supermoto.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It brings me no end of happiness to see such a wondrous creation actually thrashed around and used for it's divine purpose.

That string of stairs? Insane.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean, it is readily available... from Z3n. :colbert: He even has the base 1290 sitting there, waiting for you to buy it and commision him to slap the extra parts on. (Oh, I wish I had more riding experience to get one of these. :( )

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's not just the cost of the 1290SMC, you also have to account for the higher insurance and extra ER visits.

High Protein posted:

It's an extremely docile bike, if you can ride an SMC without looping it, you're fine.

The jury is still out on this one.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That both sounds and looks fantastic. Great work!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

I have purchased a 690 Enduro gas tank/seat, and will be trying to make a legit "supermoto" out of the 1290. Shooting for ~420 pounds, 170rwhp, 8 inches of suspension travel, and a seat height low enough that my wife can sitll ride the bike.

Watching you lego together KTMs never gets old. I cannot believe how modular motorcycles are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, duh, nobody is on the bike to compress the shocks. Also, I'm really tall just send it to me.

Super impressed with how natural the side plastics and seat look on that frame, though. I would not have expected it.

• Locked thread