Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Let me know when you get the CBX gas tank ready to go...I'm looking forward to that project :)

Oh I shall! I have not forgotten :)

Forgotten update: Also replaced the belts, radiator, and did an oil change on the old reliable truk. Here's to another 300,000 miles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If this legit happens later on in the year, shoot me a PM and see if I'm done with my 2012 yet. I haven't ridden it nearly enough and it is everything I wanted when I bought it, but I saw a really nice Hypermotard 939 the other day and found myself wistfully looking at curbs, dirt, ramps, small animals, soccer balls, etc....

Will do!

I spent the day reassembling my friends 1290, it's now back together and I just need to give it a solid once over, clean it up, and snag a few parts for it and it'll be good to go. Parts are listed in the marketplace thread, and I'll list the bike soon :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whelp pretty sure the 1290 is sold...to a friend who wants me to do a supermoto conversion on it. The lord taketh away and the lord giveth! :getin:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

How is this even possible?! Not that I don't think this would be a blend of the two Best Things, I just don't understand how that would work. It's a naked standard, so that's like sumo converting an SV or something.
- How are you going to get the saddle seat going with huge tank?
-Doesn't the 1290 need that fat rear tire?
-Are you just tossing SMC forks on the front, giving it more upright bars, and more swingarm travel?

Saddle seat probably isn't in the cards, but it doesn't particularly need to be. Think more 1290 Super Adventure/Supermoto than 690 SMC supermoto. Basically, add 3-5 inches of suspension travel front and rear, leave the 6 inch rear, and a new exhaust that the swingarm will clear. Add sliders, skid plate, and you've got a 160rwhp bike that'll also do jumps, stairs, curbs, and idiot gravel road blasting.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ktm-1290-super-duke-dirt-bike/

If he really wants to go nuts, rottweiler intake, welding up a new gas tank / adapting an SMC tank could be in the cards. But given the weight and geometry, you won't need the drastic body position changes to get the front end to stick like you do on a dirt super moto.

tarzanspuma posted:

Praise be... glad it's gone, so I don't have to be tempted.

Well it's not 100% yet! :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

My buddy who I'm building the bike for released this today:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Q4tb33vLY

I'd imagine there will be some documentation of the process. The 1290 ADV-R Shock is on the way - just need to find a set of forks now :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sometimes I justify having a project thread, today was one of those days.

The 1290 SM project is finally underway:

The 1190/1290 Adventure exhaust provides additional clearance so the swingarm can extend down a bit more:

All prepped and ready for 1190 Adventure-R shock install:

If you're into those weird German streetfighters with the curved up scorpion tails this will probably stir your nethers:

And here it is all put together with the ADV-R shock in place:

Going to need to cut down and reweld the exhaust a bit, and will probably try and set up the exhaust as an undertail to protect it from the slings and arrows of outrageous crashing. If everything works out ok, it looks like we'll end up with about 8 inches of rear travel and around 7 inches of front travel, with ~+1 inch of ground clearance, as well as that granted by the higher Adventure exhaust. More later :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

What bike is that in the video?

KTM 990 SM-R.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Z3n I just want to tell you I hate you for this thread. Now I really want a super duke because it seems like the perfect bike for me, but my poor self cannot afford it. THANKS ... now I'll go cry a little more.

Use it as motivation!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah I gotta dig myself out of some debt before even considering a bike again. I do have a basket case 2002 KX250 that I am finally piecing back together though, so I'll keep that for awhile I guess.

Yeah that's totally reasonable.

In other news, I'm going to try and retrofit ABS to the Brammo. Can't ever have too many projects!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

Oi Z3n, you're a smart dude. Can I retrofit ABS to my 690SMC? Mine is a 2008.

Z3n uses effort post!

Ok, so, ABS:

There are 2 major companies that do ABS - Bosch and Continental. There's a mix across manufacturers, my 1290/early BMWs use Bosch, and the S1000XR / new BMWs use the Continental system. Bosch is the long standing player in the field, with Continental a relative newcomer, working primarily with BMW for now, and is an advance IMU/cornering type system.

ABS systems come in a couple of configurations. The simplest ones are essentially piggyback systems - they accept power/brake functionality from the bike, have a couple of independent hall effect sensors that go from the ABS unit to the wheel speed sensors - these systems are pretty common across the board, and typically fitted to budget bikes and such - nearly all early ABS systems were of this form - wheel speed sensors only. It's important to think of these systems as "matched sets", though, as the ABS control unit is integrated on to the pump, and is pre-programmed for the number of cutouts on the reluctor ring. They're also going to be optimized to a particular wheel size, and there's likely some rate of change stuff in there that's determined by the overall weight and dimensions of the bike. But ultimately, these are relatively simple systems that do nothing but make sure that if rate of change at the wheels exceeds a certain fixed value, the ABS engages, and doesn't release until the wheel starts spinning again. These systems are likely to be pretty easy to retrofit.

Then there's the more complex systems that rely on the IMU/gyro setups, more complex relationships between the ECU, road speed, braking force, etc, etc, etc. Those systems are, for now, out of the bounds of reasonable retrofitting, as you're talking about spoofing a bunch of additional, arbitrary data, like proprietary implementations of ECU communications, blah blah blah.

The ideal for retrofitting is: Matched to your wheel sizes, matched roughly to your motorcycle's expected braking performance/weight, ECU independent, cheap, and widely available, with the ABS sensors and reluctor rings as independent components from the braking system/wiring harness. The more modern you can get on the hardware, as well, the better - I'm broadly assuming that there are improvements in sampling rates, internal models for wheel rate of change, etc, etc.

For the Brammo, in interests of keeping prices reasonable, we're going with a Ninja 650 system, which fits almost all of the ideals - the only one it doesn't is the reluctor rings are riveted to the rotors. The total cost for raw parts thus far is around $360 bucks from eBay - I expect all in, pricing will be around $600 if I don't have to get custom reluctors made, if I do, well, probably closer to $800. Most of the remaining cost is going to be in custom lines - Venhill is my new favorite company, because they do swivel fitting custom lines, with any banjo bend available in a wide variety of colors for $45 a line. A huge part of the pain in the rear end of setups like this is figuring out the routing of your brake lines / angles and such, so being able to fit those things makes like SIGNIFICANTLY easier. Bleeding a custom system like this will be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but it shouldn't be too bad. There's also some minor concerns around packaging and such, the ABS pump is about the size of your fist, and needs to be mounted somewhere where you can run lines from the master cylinders to the ABS pump and back to the calipers.

So now that I haven't answered your question at all:

Retrofitting ABS to a 690 would be interesting. I think the biggest problems you'd run into would be that the bike is relatively light weight, and might be able to cause a greater rate of wheel speed change than the ABS system would expect under normal usage. You're also unlikely to be able to fit a system that supports supermoto mode/no rear ABS without some pretty significant work. But - I'd bet you could easily fit a Ninja 650 system to the bike. Throw a switch on it to disable it when you want to back it in or ride like an idiot, and it'd let you add in the safety margin during normal commuting for sure.

The crazier option would be to pick up a complete setup off a 690 Duke ABS, and fit the entire wiring harness/electrical system to the 690, piggyback fueling on it to match the SMC engine tuning, but I think that'd probably run you quite a bit of money/work unless you were going to find a crashed 690 Duke ABS and part out the rest of it to fund your ABS swap.

Because I've already done the work and may as well save someone else the trouble:

Ninja 650 Wiring Harness / ABS Connector posted:

Black & White - Front wheel speed sensor
Green & Red - Rear wheel speed sensor
Red w/ white - fused power
Red w/ yellow - fused power
Blue (x2) - brake light sensor
Yellow w/green - LED
Brown - Ignition power
Black w/ yellow - ground
Blue - frame ground

The Brammo has the fittings for additional fuses and such, so I'm hoping that I can wiring everything as if it the system were OEM. The open questions for me at the moment are as follows: There's 2 types of fused power, an ignition lead, and a line that taps into the brake line. I'm unsure of what the brake line tap does - if the ABS system only engages when the brake light is on (which makes sense - you don't want the system engaging if the brakes aren't being used), that would make an easy bypass for hooligan configuration - just have a switch on that line that cuts the connection to the brake lights. The ABS system will probably lose its mind at that point if you lock the tires, but it should be easily fixable by a power cycle.

I'm hoping when all of this is said and done, it'll be clear and simple enough that I can essentially make a "kit" for other bikes, as being able to spend 500 bucks to add ABS to bikes would be pretty fantastic (for example, on the CBX).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You could do that was well but a wrecked SMC-R is super hard to come by in my area.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well I'm borrowing a friend's 690 for the sheet iron 300 - definitely shouldn't be allowed to have one of those again!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Which stickers? Probably not me though as my 1290 has been off the road for awhile.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

S1000XR has developed an insatiable lust for headlight bulbs. Must talk to dealership about this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well yeah.

Nerd poo poo warning: if you like relatively simple applied physics poo poo, check this out - http://www.epi-eng.com/index.html

Their tech papers are amazing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Kastivich posted:

Hey Z3n, I have a question about your XR. Can you email me at ih8philly@gmail.com

Email sent.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh and I have a bunch of stuff I've been working on updates soon :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Plan is to just CAD up some stuff and get it water jet /plasma / laser cut from a plate of steel. Anything else is excessive and complicated, that solution is cheap and easy. On the Brammo I'll need to do it on the sprocket side for the rear wheel.

Problem Id see with doing the swap on an old BMW is you need hydraulic brakes front and rear, and a reliable 12v system. If those things are available, then it's totally doable. I'd measure the wheels and try and find an abs system that uses similar wheel sizes but you could probably get away with faking it by adjusting the number of slots to take into account the difference in wheel sizes from a 17 inch setup. It wouldn't be an absolutely perfect setup but the primary function here is to insta-release on a locked brake so it should be still better than human. Would need testing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just adventure things :allears:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 24, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh whoops forgot to timg it.

But all in, fun was had.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Can you please explain why that particular fix and how it worked? Also, just how fast were you going when you hit that rock?

I'm just the builder for that bike, the owner was riding it at the time. He hit a square edged concrete bridge corner that had been exposed from use - probably about 4 inches tall - at around 40mph. Instantly deflated the tire, and bent both sides of the rim. We spent some time hammering the wheel back into some semblance of shape, which knocked it off the bead. At this point, I went off to snag the recovery vehicle. They continued working on it, resetting the bead with gasoline, then they packed the remaining gap with tire plugs - which sealed, but without positive pressure, as the tire rotated, the plugs themselves didn't have enough strength to hold. So a curved stick, bailing wired to the wheel, provided enough positive pressure that the tire plugs sealed against the edge of the stick and it was rideable, slowly. They were limping it out and I ended up meeting them while they were rolling out.

That was, of course, the second bent rim incident - the first one was fixed by just using a hammer and block of wood to straighten the rim enough that it only had a slow leak.

Apparently, superduke rims aren't made for offroad use. Who could have guessed!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 24, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, I've got a couple minutes to hammer out a thing here from my phone, and the go ahead to start breaking cover, so here's the the sneak peek of what I've been working on - the KTM 1290 SM-R.

KTM parts are basically motorcycle Legos, and about a year ago I did the initial research on this but lacked the need to make this bike. As it turns out, a buddy was selling his 1290 racebike and I managed to find another buddy who wanted me to do the build, so off we went.

The mod list looks roughly like this:
950 SM forks (200mm of travel)
Aftermarket brake lines to fit + Suzuki brake line distributor
Harley Davidson fork brace, drilled to mount 950SM fender
Machined out some prototype rearset relocators that allow for fitment of OEM 1190 Adventure R pegs.
OEM Duke 690 bar
1290 super adventure header, cut down 90mm to fit OEM SuperDuke exhaust
1190 adventure r shock
1190 skid plate
Plus a few other odds and ends in the process

After that point (pre exhaust cutting) the bike looked like this:

And of course, how to better break it in than to fit TKC80s:

Test ride it:

And then send it off to the sheetiron 300, an off-road rally of 300 miles in Northern California:

And that is how you got the story above.

There's a video coming out soon detailing the Sheetiron 300 testing event - I'll post it up when it comes out. And I'll have a longer post here covering the full build, but until then, you'll have to content yourself with this preview.

Oh, and in 2 weeks it goes to the track for the first time. Refit Q3s and off we go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

El Jebus posted:

That is so cool. There is a 990 smr for sale here at $8k and I want it so, so bad.

So here's the crazy thing - this was a screaming deal on a SuperDuke but I think the full cost of the build is less than +3k on the cost of the base SuperDuke. This is all in, less than a new SuperDuke would have cost him.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh and here's the full thing, cause I had a hot minute:
The 1290 SuperDuke was the first new motorcycle I ever bought. You can read about the my 1290 ownership experience in my previous threads, but if I'm being completely honest, the 1290 SuperDuke isn't actually the bike I wanted from KTM. What I really wanted was a 1290 SM-T. While the KTM excels at what it is laid out to do, the most compelling bikes KTM has made have always been the supermotos - in particular, the 990 SM-T. There's something about massive suspension travel paired with big power that makes for an awesome urban warfare vehicle. It's the bike that has your back no matter what you're throwing at it, with a large, upright, commanding riding position, high spec brakes, high spec suspension, and ideally a full electronics package.

A year after I got my KTM, the itch really started to get to me. So I did the preliminary research and looked for the possibilities, and it looked...possible. But at the time, it didn't make sense to turn the KTM into something different, as I was commuting on it every day, and I didn't really want to pull my street bike off the road for the build, and the concept stayed nascent.

Until, of course, I ended up converting a buddy's 1290 racebike back to a streetbike, and I casually dropped a line listing it for sale among friends, and sure enough, someone came out of the woodwork to buy it...and also ask if I'd be willing to do the supermoto build.

And so it began.

First acquisition was a lucky snipe of an Adventure R shock off of eBay, and discovery that the OEM exhaust on the 1290 offers millimeters of clearance between swingarm and exhaust. But an 1190 or 1290 Adventure header would bolt on directly and return ground clearance, and also fix the issues with the swingarm fouling on the OEM 1290 SuperDuke catalytic converter box.

Ready for shock install:

Because the header is shared between the 1290 and 1190, the design can be expected to be reasonable for the 1290 SuperDuke, despite slightly different tuning. With that, we hit the super exaggerated phase for the bike:

This brings total ride height in the rear up roughly 70mm, increasing rear travel to ~190mm, and increasing bottomed ride height by ~30mm.

And the side by side of the bike next to my stock ride height 1290:

And, of course, no prototype KTM would be complete without two tone wheels, so those went off to the powdercoater for the orange and white treatment.

Next up was forks. Research of variations between the WP fork designs, part number cross referencing, etc, eventually lead me to discover that any of the 48mm WP forks would bolt on and be compatible. I could explore swapping the fork bottoms as well, but axle sizes have been the same between KTMs for years while cartridge designs have changed, so some more exploring lead me to discovering 950 SM forks would offer 200mm of travel, with roughly +15mm of ride height at full bottom, while maintaining the same upper fork length. They also had dual front rotors, that would be a straight bolt on for the M50 SuperDuke calipers. A set of forks was found on ebay, and bolted on:

The rest of the front end was sorted out by brake spacers spun out by the ever helpful WW Resto, Venhill custom lines in orange, and a 950 lower beak. I also found that the lower front fender mount would fit the front wheel sensor, so that was a pleasant bonus.

At this point, I zip tied on the front beak and fit everything to see how it would line up, and it seemed to be coming together ok:

Despite the street cred of running your supermoto without a kickstand, it was decided to be slightly more sociable and replace the speed block for the kickstand with an 1190 Adventure kickstand, giving it some independence from the usual supermoto style of leaning the bike against anything that would hold it up at a stop:

Next up was getting the seating position right - that meant replicating the 1190 Adventure design, which has the footpeg mounts going straight into the frame. Obviously that wouldn't work for this build, but I quickly machined up a prototype rearset that adapted the normal rearset mount to something that would accept ADV-R foot pegs, and some ebaying found me a 640 Adventure rear brake lever that would work for the use case. The prototype parts are...industrial, to say the least, but will be replaced by a more aesthetically pleasing set now that the design has been proven out. On the shifter side, an Adventure R shifter bolts right on and clears everything.

Handlebar height and sweep was fixed by a 690 Duke bar, which is absurdly tall for a Duke 690, but just perfect for a 1290 SM-R. The Venhill lines made this side of the swap very easy.

At this point the bike was actually rideable, although with some caveats, the exhaust mount was ~90mm behind the OEM mounting point, and the exhaust was somewhat spaced out from where it should be. And so I rode it to work for the first time, after dropping the forks a few MM in the triples to try and get the handling just right - and as it all turns out, I managed to nail the geometry in the bounds of normal straight out of the gate - it handled beautifully, although the rear was quite oversprung at this point, with the 1190 having a much longer swingarm and running a higher spring rate as a result.

And with that, it was time to fit the front fender - as it turns out, 60mm fork mounts aren't exactly in common supply, but a 61mm Harley Davidson fork brace can be machined down, tapped a bit, and pressed into service as a fork mount for the upper fender. It's rather appropriate, I guess. With the handguards installed, now the bike looked like this:

And with that, the bike was turned over to the owner for some final items, like getting 90mm chopped out of the exhaust (thanks to Dennis at Norman Racing in Berkeley for super quick turnaround on that!). And of course, because the natural thing to do with a SuperMoto is to send it awkward places, it was time to throw TKC 80s, an 1190 Adventure skidplate, a guard to protect the R/R, and some mirrors on it and send it to the SheetIron 300.

And yes, it's a completely inappropriate bike for that, and we learned some lessons about that. But you don't stress test a bike to discover how little it can do, you stress test a bike to discover how far it can go. And we learned that, although ironically the head splits weren't the problem...but that's a story for a little later:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

High Protein posted:

Very cool! A question about the forks, as the 950 is an older bike, are they technically 'worse' than the original 1290 forks, or modern Adventure forks would have been? Of doesn't that stuff change that quickly.

Yeah, they're the previous generation - they don't have independent rebound and compression damping in each fork leg like the 1290 SD/ 1190 Adventure forks. But suspension is about setup and those forks are capable of just as good a setup as anything else out there for urban assault, random offroad, and casual track stuff. Certainly if you wanted to throw money at them you could get better stuff with Ohlins or WP upgraded cartridges but at the end of the day it's gonna all be the same. WP makes very nice suspension and even the previous generation stuff is still really good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That unfortunately requires a bit more fab work than I'm willing to take on at the moment :(

Next build likely to be a 2016 R1 street fighter. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gotta have the handlebars, man!

As to how it actually looks in the end, well, we shall see...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Nice project. Did you consider putting on 21/19" tires? That'd give you more options for not-DOT legal knobbies which might get you the absurd grip you need.

21/19s would be a giant pain in the rear end with the SSA - SSA spoked hubs are not cheap. That's why the Czech guys that did that Erzberg 1290 build swapped the swingarm/forks, and lost the TC/ABS in the process. I explicitly didn't want to lose those things, so keeping OEM wheel sizes was a requirement :)

EvilCrayon posted:

Signed back into SA because I saw your post on BARF.

I thought a KTM 990SM/SMT/SMR would be a fun bike but I change my mind.

THIS is what I need.

If you bring me a 1290 and 4-5k, I'll make you one.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Cycle Asylum > Z3n's Project Thread: The Island of Doctor Motardeau

gently caress, I really want a 1290 SuperAdventure SM-R. Do you think the same evil can be done with a Tuono V4R and a Dorsoduro? :flashfap:

Yeah, probably. I'd have to look at how the Tuono V4 swingarm/shock mounts work, it'd probably require a custom shock instead of a durosoduro shock swap, and the parts would be harder to come by, but I'm sure it could be done. I'm not quite sure what the point would be on something like that, but hell, it's not like there's a "point" to this thing either.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have a line on a 2016 R1 for a streetfighter project. Completed bike, customized and ready to go, would be less than MSRP on a new R1. Anyone interested? Under 100 miles, bone stock. Racer friend tore ACL, isn't going to have a chance to race it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You should do it. It's the only natural endpoint. :P

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Buddy made a video of the fun had during the sheet iron:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZzy9vk1uo

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

You are a magician. That sumoduke looks even better than I had imagined. Great execution through and through. Thanks for posting up all of those pictures and info. Is it running tubes now in those wheels?

Thanks! Not running tubes, which would have maybe saved us some grief during the sheet iron. But no tubes was significantly better for yesterday and today's track use:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2 sets of wheels would be real nice, but isn't in the budget for either me or the owner of the 1290 SM. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The wheelie bump on Thunderhill West is pretty interesting.

And the 1290 SM handles track pretty drat well:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm pretty stoked with them :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

I thought Helimot stopped making suits? Or was that part of their last run?

Yeah, part of their last run :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Is the guy on the R1, in fact, a giant?

They're just small bikes :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rise, and ride again:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Default reaction to any project I do, haha.

Engine tear down starts this weekend, going to send a bunch of stuff out for WPC coating. Should be neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I might try and convince my buddy with the 1290 to do some stuff to document the CBX build. Also have more videos of the 1290 inbound.

On to the CBX:
I had debated the right approach to this bike a few times, but in the end, it's probably going to go something like this:
Tear down engine to cases, check spinny metal bits with plastigauge, if they're good they go to WPC shop for treatment. Non-spinny metal bits get vapor blasted back to bare aluminum, and clear coated. Order all parts for an internal refresh. Reassemble engine.

While that is going on, the steering stem goes off to a buddy for fit into the ZRX triples. Spacer is made for rear swingarm. Alternative shock mount is made to fit the wider ZRX swingarm shocks/mounts. Gauge cluster is disassembled and fit into a more modern gauge assembly. Custom headlight mounts are made for the Ducati scrambler headlight. ABS plumbing and install is done.

Once this is all done, the bike is rideable. At this point it gets ridden for a bit, is checked for straightness by GP frame and wheel, taken to a trackday, and the engine gets dropped again, frame, swingarm, triples, wheels, rearsets, go to powdercoat, fairing bits go to painter. Key is retrofit for an RFID ignition. Probably make custom switchgear at this point as well.

Longer term at this point is build some form of custom exhaust that looks appropriately modern and vintage.

• Locked thread