Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I use water and simple green in the ultrasonic, but a much thinner ratio of simple green. It doesn't take much. Also it's probably obvious but blow all the parts out with compressed air immediately after cleaning to remove the water and simple green cause they won't help if they sit in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Cool, I got the aircraft simple green stuff so I'll try that. Do you find you often have to replace / re-plate bolts that have lost their chrome / shiny coating?
We rarely work on bikes that require that level of finishing. But we do keep a good selection of nuts/bolts in stock, particularly M4 taper head screws and M4 allen bolts to replace stripped out JIS phillips on old brake reservoirs and carbs though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So, regarding your EX650 ABS hack, I was reading up on the parts and it sounds like the computer for it is calibrated for specific wheel/tire sizes. They warn against fitting nonstandard tire sizes which I assume means the computer is programmed to accept only a fixed ratio of revs of the front wheel as compared to the rear. Of course the 650 has 120/70-17 front and 160/60-17 rear and a CBX has 19 front 18 rear. Did you have a solution for that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Interesting. The 650 manual specifically warns against fitting nonstandard tire sizes so I figured it wasn't actually calibrating when it rolled. Aside from that issue I was really tempted to try to fit a system like that on my 1982 R100RT I just bought.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would assume your setup would work just fine, actually, as long as the wiring and hoses and sensors are all in solid shape. ABS isn't that complicated, you just have to feed the computer the input it wants. I'm just annoyed that it has fixed preprogrammed wheel sizes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
BMW actually does have ABS system that they put on this bike, but they're so goddamn old they almost never work and parts are expensive as gently caress.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
All the more modern BMW ones either suck or are integrated into high tech electrical (can-bus) systems. I looked into retrofitting an ST4 ABS system onto my ST2 Ducati, even that was a major pain, the parts are too rare and expensive. A Japanese system that runs standalone like that EX650 would be the only viable way to go I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I didn't bother checking into any non-Japanese system because of parts availability and price. Just on assumption. V-stroms have a viable system too it looks like, but I can't find anything out there that has front/rear tire circumference ratios similar to my RT.

• Locked thread