Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Barnsy posted:

A lot of electric motors are easily capable of over 30k RPM, is there a reason Brammo went with a low-revving version?

There is also the problem of gearing that down to the correct final drive for the wheel. More RPM means a bigger or more complex reduction drive.

With the new project bike I've got a motor coming that makes best power/efficiency at around 7k. But I wanted a bike that topped out at around 28mph. I've had to go with a 5:1 belt primary driving a 4:1 chain final drive to get there for my given wheel size. 4:1 is a 14:56 front/rear sprocket, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Yeah - what project are you working on? Start a thread or post it somewhere :)

Pretty much a bicycle with the power of a small motorcycle. I've got a fair bit done but the motor and primary drive are still on the way from the guys who built it in the states. As soon as the drive unit is here the build thread will commence :)

I've got a guy who says he can get me an exhibition run at the local sprint in September if I can get it ready in time.

quote:

(colors TBD, although likely to be some form of subtle gently caress you to OEM restoration purists)

ZRX paint job but with Honda badging. When people mention it, deadpan, explain it like you really wanted a ZRX but all you could find was a CBX.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 1, 2015

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

It's an option, especially before all the stuff goes out for paint.

loving swingarm nut on the ZRX is seized to poo poo. Heat, penetrating oil, snapped adapters, still loving stuck in there. Might have to sawzall the loving thing out once I have the engine out. :(

Is the axle solid? If so how about a Nut Splitter?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Love it. KTM used to run a custom competition but I think no longer, reckon you'd be a strong contender, looks really together and well executed.

• Locked thread