Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Z3n posted:

Give me your tired engines, your poor electrical systems, your inert bikes yearning for freedom
I've also got the usual rack of guest projects in the garage right now, including a goon's CB400, a buddy's S1000RR, and another friend's 84 Shovelhead,. All of those should be turned around relatively soon, allowing mostly unimpeded build of the CBX.

My formerly very sad bike has left Z3n's Halfway Home for Crazy Motorcycles with an enormous grin on it (me). Thanks entirely to your help, my 40 months in the desert of not riding motorcycles is over and it really is a religious experience to be twisting the throttle again. I know I can probably never repay my indebtedness entirely, because watching you wreck your forearms and sanity changing my stupid narrow tires isn't really repayable. It was however fun for me!

Seriously, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Hermsgervørden posted:

My formerly very sad bike has left Z3n's Halfway Home for Crazy Motorcycles with an enormous grin on it (me). Thanks entirely to your help, my 40 months in the desert of not riding motorcycles is over and it really is a religious experience to be twisting the throttle again. I know I can probably never repay my indebtedness entirely, because watching you wreck your forearms and sanity changing my stupid narrow tires isn't really repayable. It was however fun for me!

Seriously, thank you!

I've been too embarrassed to have posted about this, after all the work you put in for me getting my CB400 going again, Z3n but in August of last year my motorcycle was stolen off the street in my neighborhood. Days passed, and then weeks, and a month, and I gave up on ever seeing it again. It haunted me in my dreams.

Well, this Thursday at 4:30 am the SFPD called to tell me they had arrested a woman pushing my bike through ingleside terrace. The plates were swapped, the ignition cylinder was punched (not)clean through, the dash lights are gone, there's some kind of janky hot-wiring switch, the tank was (poorly) rattlecan sprayed sparkle green. I guess the woman was pushing it because the battery is toast. I just pushed it to O'Hanlon's from the Auto Return, which thankfully is only 3 blocks. I'm waiting to hear back about all the awful poo poo I imagine my bike has been subjected to. I guess I have about another $1000 I can spend on it saved up again.

Now I have to get the bike re-registered and get new plates, but I am never giving up on it now. It's a revenant bike, back from the dead (again!) and I think it needs to ride. Even in the sorry state it was in when I saw it, it felt good to lay eyes on it.

At some point, I will want to get the poo poo awful paint off the tank, and I may leave it bare metal. Hey Z3n is that something you'd like to give advice on?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Got the estimate for my CB400. $700 altogether to get it back to running order. I might be back on it this weekend! I'm really glad it didn't hit four figures. We will take the money out of the vacation fund, which means delaying our planned trip to Legoland until next summer. It's a good thing we hadn't booked the hotel yet, so we hadn't made the kids any specific promises yet. Also, they don't exactly have full command of how calendars work, so that's an information advantage I have over my kids.

I do need a little more advice about stripping the paint off the tank. Any recommendations on paint stripping agents? How about clear coat? Also, and perhaps most importantly, is this something an idiot like me (Z3n, I trust you remember how much of an idiot I am) can safely do on my own in one day on the street?

(My daughter came with me to the impound lot)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so I'll probably stop posting about my bike now.

• Locked thread