Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wish more football happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Last Buffalo posted:

On the boat party, wasn't Vernon doing cocaine? Why, then, did they have like six scenes where the photos are showing him drinking and smoking weed and that's the scandal? Also, why was the whole "Reggie secretly caused the problem by trying to gently caress photo-girl" something that happened entirely off screen and only came up in the episode after the character appeared? There's half a dozen better ways to do the same lovely story.

I think they tried to pretty explicitly avoid showing Vernon doing anything harder than weed IIRC. That doesn't change the fact that the writing and pacing leave a lot to be desired at times, but they are kinda trying to portray Vern as pretty chill and Reggie as the crazy one.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

notaspy posted:

This is a feel good show, everything turns out OK in the end, look at what happened to Spencer - no head trauma, the guy forgives him and he works out Vern's situation perfectly.

Well he's still a drug addict.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Really like this episode. Not really seeing the Entourage comparisons, like, at all. It feels like it's own thing. Yeah, it's feel good, some shows are just like that. When I want the downs I'll stick with GoT.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
YOU DONT SUCK!

edit: Rock butt.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 24, 2015

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Best feel good part of the show was the whole phone call and 'you don't suck!' bit.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
The Brink was great this season, I had a lot of fun watching it and that was an amazing finale, navy dudes totally pulled through imo, can't wait for next time.

ballers was meh, not as guilty of a pleasure as entourage but I can see it getting a bit stale after a couple of more seasons of "spencer signed the player... spencer didn't sign the player... oh no wait he did sign the player"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Azmodaii posted:

The Brink was great this season, I had a lot of fun watching it and that was an amazing finale, navy dudes totally pulled through imo, can't wait for next time.

ballers was meh, not as guilty of a pleasure as entourage but I can see it getting a bit stale after a couple of more seasons of "spencer signed the player... spencer didn't sign the player... oh no wait he did sign the player"

It really seemed like they were laying the groundwork for some interesting themes with Ballers but nope lmao Vince got the movie!

*everybody drives off in Maclarens, except The Rock who is driving his speedboat down the freeway on a wave of charisma*

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I think they probably made a season without knowing if they would be back for another. I would expect less of a softball season/finale next year (if they are renewed for another)

It was pretty okay, I'll be tuning in again

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Azmodaii posted:

Next season I'm gonna make a thread for The Brink because that was a solid as hell season and I can't wait to see how everyone'll freak out when they learn about the Janjaweed having a nuke.

Ballers is definitely a disappointing show where there's next to no consequences for all of these unlikable rich people.*

* Excluding The Rock, Charles Greane and Rob Corddry.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
For me most of the Ballers' storylines felt like the writers weren't told the show was only a half hour til they had already started writing them and they didn't have time to go back and start from scratch.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Good warm up season, hope like it all finished with a happy ever after for everyone and I look forward to seeing these idiots luck their way though life next year.

The brink was loving lol. Tim Robbins nailed it every single time, Jack Black didn't stink up the place and I really want things to work out for the pilots. I was hoping next season would be pretty much disconnected with this one but I can live with same again but IN AFRICCCCAAAA. And the wife is insanely hot.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

notaspy posted:

Good warm up season, hope like it all finished with a happy ever after for everyone and I look forward to seeing these idiots luck their way though life next year.

The brink was loving lol. Tim Robbins nailed it every single time, Jack Black didn't stink up the place and I really want things to work out for the pilots. I was hoping next season would be pretty much disconnected with this one but I can live with same again but IN AFRICCCCAAAA. And the wife is insanely hot.

I really thought they were going to get sappy with the pilots there at the end, but I totally forgot about the ejection seats. They better get like 4 promotions in a row for that one. Adding up their total cost to the military was great too.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is it over already?

Everyone go watch playmakers for a dark gritty look at the nfl thnx

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

In the context of the episode it was mostly a vehicle for Tim Robbins to make a joke at France's expense, but the throwaway line about "Frano-Russian realignment" and Talbot being all gung-ho about going to France speaks to maybe dual crises in The Brink universe next season; Marine Le Pen becoming president of France and Eritrea with a nuke.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Ballers needs some serious retooling. Its a complete zero. Wasting the Rock and Cutter Spindell's time.

The Brink is dumb but a bit unique at least. I don't recall there being many matter-of-fact US FP comedy shows?

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
Every time I see Richard Schiff lose his poo poo it reminds me of his coffee bean sit down with Ari on Entourage.

Schiff, opening up: “I wanna be in action movies, I wanna be the tough guy… I wanna scare people and say suck my cock you scar faced motherfucker.”
Ari: “You’re scaring me Richard.”

Guess he finally got to be the tough guy! Probably the most realistic character on the show, because I've seen senior management go from being quiet and refined to swearing and angry at the snap of a finger if things don't go their way.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I know I watched something this season, but I have literally zero idea what.

If someone asked me to describe the plot or arc of this season I'd just be stumped. At least Entourage had 'Vince can make the movie / can't make the movie / can make the movie"

Still, it's a better show than entourage, mainly because I don't (yet) violently hate all the characters.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

If someone asked me to describe the plot or arc of this season I'd just be stumped. At least Entourage had 'Vince can make the movie / can't make the movie / can make the movie"

Still, it's a better show than entourage, mainly because I don't (yet) violently hate all the characters.

It does feel like its a prologue or origins story. I think it will be better next season as it grows into itself.

The brink is perfect as it is, makes me fear for next season that they will just do exactly the same thing as this one just in Africa.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The season of Ballers was obviously meant to stand on its own in the event of cancellation. I expect next season to be better, but even if it's not a significant improvement, I think it's perfectly acceptable summer TV.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

Vernon got paid & Joe got laid.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It was really weird watching ballers after the latest season of silicon Valley. My wife and I kept thinking terrible things were about to happen every episode.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

For some reason the only thing that stood out in this "show" is that exchange between Ricky and Alonzo in the locker room being some of the poorest, most out of place dialogue I have seen.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
The finale would have been more interesting if they'd just all sucked each others dicks. The dialog across the board is super weak.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Cool show, I got to see the Rock's butt.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Kingtheninja posted:

It was really weird watching ballers after the latest season of silicon Valley. My wife and I kept thinking terrible things were about to happen every episode.

We were thinking the same thing every episode. We kept saying "that was cool but it's about to blow up in their faces" after everything.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's almost like they started writing the show then a consultant told them "Hey if this gets too heavy the NFL is going to stop you from using their licenses".

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Is it over already?

Everyone go watch playmakers for a dark gritty look at the nfl thnx

Just watch Any Given Sunday on repeat

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Because of this thread I watched all of brink. Tim Robbins owns owns owns.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ballers is good and not a show you should probably analyze for consistency of plot

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Tom Brady posted:

Ballers is good and not a show you should probably analyze for consistency of plot

Are you new here?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cotato posted:

Are you new here?

not remotely

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tom Brady posted:

not remotely

Re-reg huh? Yup, I've had a couple of those.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Re-reg huh? Yup, I've had a couple of those.

Yeah people with a join date in 2008 are definitely reregs in 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

The season of Ballers was obviously meant to stand on its own in the event of cancellation. I expect next season to be better, but even if it's not a significant improvement, I think it's perfectly acceptable summer TV.

Next season will be good if they get rid of the actor who played vernon. He was total poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone who watched this show expecting a good sports dramedy check out Survivors Remorse which does it 1000x times better in all regards.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Azmodaii posted:

I only watched Ballers because it's shoehorned between vastly better shows. The Brink was great thanks for reading god bless

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Holyshoot posted:

Next season will be good if they get rid of the actor who played vernon. He was total poo poo.

Vernon was actually a 3 star linebacker recruit to UCLA and looked pretty decent on the squad. Fringe NFL talent. They probably put out a casting call for a football-sized player with acting experience and settled on Carter because they wanted a big calm dude to be the NFL player they were trying to sign since Reggie filled the role of the loud mouth.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Doltos posted:

Vernon was actually a 3 star linebacker recruit to UCLA and looked pretty decent on the squad. Fringe NFL talent. They probably put out a casting call for a football-sized player with acting experience and settled on Carter because they wanted a big calm dude to be the NFL player they were trying to sign since Reggie filled the role of the loud mouth.

That makes a lot more sense. I didn't know he was an ex football player so I guess it's understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Tom Brady posted:

Yeah people with a join date in 2008 are definitely reregs in 2015

Im originally an 04

• Locked thread