Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SalTheBard posted:

Brownback rumored to be leaving office early to become President of K State
Lol 'Brownback is enormously unpopular'

'Now here is a list of successors, one of which is likely to win the 2018 and continue the Brownback legacy'

Really hard to have sympathy for Kansas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Morrow posted:

It's actually an interesting issue, because generally all the state governments have loosely been organized the same as the federal, with multiple branches of government that share power and check each other. The question is at what point could a state move far enough from a "Republican" government that there would be pressure to step in, which differs depending on how "Republican" is interpreted (just vaguely democratic or with a working system of checks and balances).
Kansas' government is Republican, though. Terrifically so.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I don't think that a basic income is the ideal solution. If you give money to people that need it, the money can then be claimed by debt collectors, stolen by criminals, or squandered on poor decisions (drugs, gambling, beanie babies, whatever). This leaves people without the necessities that the money was intended for.

I believe that a better solution would be to distribute basic necessities to all people, without charging them directly. I would include a small living space, nutritious food, simple clothing, and healthcare.
Individuals tend to know better what they need to pick themselves up, than a gigantic bureaucracy which is what would be required to implement what you're talking about. You want soup kitchens everywhere, handing out clothing, government-run housing, etc etc. It's a mess. You'd concentrate poverty into certain areas and create permanent ghettos - where that leads is not some theoretical mystery. We have a pretty good idea by now what these sort of policies will do.

The UK ran a pilot program a few years ago where they just cut homeless people a check - I think it might have been drug addicts exclusively - and then observed the results. Guess what? They did far better than the folks who were dependent on the sort of centrally-managed bureaucratic hellscape you're thinking of.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The current section eight voucher program works pretty much ideally *when it is funded appropriately*. The problem is Republicans always make drastic cuts to it so there get to be huge waiting lists.

Same thing for food stamps; it's a good program that works well when appropriate ly funded and there is no reason to reinvent the wheel.

I support a mincome but only on top of existing programs (and medicare/Medicaid for all) as an additional benefit. We need that much additional social welfare spending anyway.
Why would you need food stamps on top of basic income? Just roll it all up into one program and implement UHC. We could even deprecate Social Security this way.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

Yeah, well, I'm hoping that progressive Dem leaders seize this opportunity to say, "See? If you had supported the loving progressive, we would have won. Support us if you want to stop losing!"
"Well he wasn't a progressive because he only talked about $15 on Reddit and only after Bernie Sanders put him in a headlock, and furthermore..."

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Doesn't that mean the Kansas government will take in even less revenue now? And what's going to happen to all those companies that moved their operations to Kansas' business-friendly environment? Are they going to have to close shop? How many jobs is this going to cost the people of Kansas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
ban sports imo

• Locked thread