Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How come poor people don't just buy a bus ticket with money they don't have, sign a lease in an unfamiliar city with the credit they don't have, and in their new place rely on their support network of friends and family that doesn't exist here. Duh, how hard could it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

down with slavery posted:

if you take a cursory glance around the world you'll find that people move with less money, to stranger cities with less of a support network in order to improve the standards of living for themselves and their families

Which is why aid to Africa is foolish, because it just rewards those too lazy to leave for their own immorality

nobody said it was easy, but I mean, there are colleges with actual young people with potential there, it's a comedy. sure, some people are "stuck" in Kansas, but there's plenty of educated individuals above the poverty line that should be getting the gently caress out if they have half a care for their future

And yet, millions of Kansans don't, maybe their own laziness or stupidity is why they are poor -A "leftist"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I remember reading about when hundreds of thousands of Okies all picked up and moved to California at once, and they were all easily able to get new jobs and housing on arrival, bootstrapping themselves into security and prosperity.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Toasticle posted:

Would having to deal with the consequences of your choices also be part of being an adult? As adults they voted for people who are burning their states economy at the altar of Grover Norquist. As adults they shouldn't have to deal with the outcome of their adult choices? If the federal government offered to help fix their poo poo and they told them to gently caress off, do we now get to say "Fine, you wanted this bed so sleep in it"?

And because it's become necessary: the people who voted for republicans since D&D is rapidly turning into straw land. Pretty much everyone agrees the rest should not have to suffer and I would have no problem with a program to help people relocate but the ones who want to stay while I wish they didn't have to suffer chose to do so. A common thought is addicts have to hit rock bottom before they realize they need help. Let them hit the bottom they wanted to hit. Maybe they'll change their minds, maybe they'll enjoy wallowing in their misery, either way they chose to be there.

Yes, obviously, the solution to a badly educated populace voting for the Koch-financed Tea Party is to stand back and let the Koch's further corrupt and destroy the education system, that should fix things right up in a jiffy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

When people are saying that we shouldn't help Kansas because it was their own drat fault will be the time to bitch about team politics overriding reason.

People are saying that. In this very thread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also, stop voting for Democrats. Even if it's the "better option", following the road of "lesser of two evils" just leads to evil, might as well not be complacent if we're going there anyways.

Yes clearly, Kansas' problems were caused by too many people voting for Democrats. Yep.

If only people hadn't elected Kathleen Sebelius, none of this would have happened.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Series DD Funding posted:

How many campaign finance regulations would stop the UK from banning chocolate or whatever the gently caress is going on there?

Didn't the UK just have a big thing with preventing Kraft from buying Cadbury's and profaning their proud English chocolate tradition.

Did you mean to post this in the freep thread?

And :lol: bribing politicians is not free speech.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Europe isn't a paradise despite campaign finance restrictions, so obviously we should legalize open bribery, that's the ticket.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Notice how the dreaded CITIZNES UNITED did approximately jack and poo poo to change anything about American elections? Well, other than getting a few savvy media companies and perpetual political hucksters richer of course.

Idk, now every last hundred-millionaire can fund his own crazy-rear end Tea Party or Sedevacantist candidate to tear each other apart on national TV instead of one or two establishment nepotists sucking all the air out of the room and locking up the nomination before Super Tuesday, that's pretty different.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

Wow, Kansas is doing worse than I expected. I'm sad that a lot of people are going to suffer for badly balanced fiscal policies, but I really hope that enough people see this as a failure of pure Conservative/Libertarian ideology.

Unfortuantely, that may not happen. It's looking like they're just going to deflect the blame for failure to all the variables they can't control for.

Well the government still exists, so clearly this is a failure of Big Government and only shows we didn't conservative hard enough.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

God, hopefully this teaches the nation a lesson about why electing people who hate the government to be the government is a bad idea.

It sucks that we had to burn down a state to do it, but on the bright side at least the state in question is Kansas.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh as long as the Republicans are good old Texas style corrupt business-friendly types it's not a catastrophe, just run-of-the-mill awful. Businesses at least have an interest in not burning down the state because they need a functioning economy to exist in order to keep plundering it.

Just, what the gently caress is happening to the Republican party. Even in Texas the new Lieutenant Governor is a Tea Party true believer, and even the governor is pandering to the insane right-wing militia types.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't think it's moral for the Democrats to mass-execute Kansans until reasonable people make up an electoral majority.

Why not, it worked pretty well in the 1850's

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

It seems like you're immediately adopting the typical "woe is us, the liberal ubermensch, the stretch of our genius is lacking" approach.

This strawliberal of yours probably existed in the 1970s, but contemporary conservatism has embraced ignorance and stupidity as an ideal and is suspicious if not outright hostile to empirical data and anything that has a hint of science.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Haha are you really whining that people on somethingawful.com are making jokes about Kansas

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Can't we arm and support a Kiowa insurgency in carving out a semi-autonomous zone to give us a foothold in the region?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My dad is active in an Oklahoma Tea Party group (with the delightfully fascist name 9/12 Society or somesuch) and during Brownback's honeymoon they invited him to events in Oklahoma, my dad went on about how Sebelius left the state with no money in the treasury, Brownback is going to revitalize the economy and let the job creators get to work, etc etc. He hasn't mentioned him for quite a while now so it seems like the Oklahoma Tea Party has just quietly let Kansas fall to the wayside while continuing the push for the same civilization-wrecking policies to destroy anything good and light surviving in Oklahoma.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:( Hey.

At least we're not Kansas :colbert:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

This is extremely untrue. Most anyone whose grandparents grew up in the Midwest or Plains during the Dust Bowl and Great Depression is thrifty and fiscally conservative almost to a fault.

Edit: when your grandparents grew up in a sod house heated by burning dried cow poo poo, wearing clothes made out of flour and sugar sacks, that tends to resonate to your parents' generation very strongly and so on.

Certainly there are plenty of rural Midwesterners who are reckless with their money but fiscal conservatism goes very deep culturally.

Fiscal conservatism is not the same as thrift. Midwestern farmers were hugely supportive of the New Deal because the crash, deflation, and ecological disasters of the 1929+ years were devastating to the region.

The fiscal conservatism we're seeing right now is the result of a very successful decades long marketing campaign by the rich about prosperity coming from hard work and government doing nothing but taking the fruit of your labor and giving it to lazy blacks, combined with two generations of people who have grown up in the greatest decades of prosperity in world history who don't remember the bad times and are eager to attribute everything good in their lives to their own personal virtues and work ethic and not to the New Deal policies that created it. Thus they vote to destroy their own livelihoods and let the rich once again hoover up the most of the wealth from our high productivity.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 13, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koirhor posted:

Also Miami, Ohio

That's why we pronounce it "Miamuh", Oklahoma to immediately reveal out-of-state interlopers when they say "Miami" (are you going back, oh god please take me with you)

EvanSchenck posted:

That's actually a coincidence. There were two different and unrelated Native American nations located in Ohio and Florida that both called themselves names that phonetically sound like "Miami."

Ours is named after a Native American nation too but it's not a linguistic coincidence, more of an ethnic cleansing thing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm always amused by towns with French names, most of which are out east (in both Canada and the US) that Americans (and many non-francophone Canadians) don't even bother to try and pronounce correctly. Dubois (doo-boyz) Pennsylvania was an infuriating example, while way out west is Boise Idaho which was originally bwa-zay, meaning "wooded" in French because it's the only town in Idaho with any loving trees.

Do you correct English-speakers' pronunciation of "Paris" too?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Every two weeks my job gives me a piece of paper with my name and some numbers printed on it instead of the food or housing that I need.

What am I supposed to do with that??? I'm so hungry and I can't eat this paper. It doesn't even do a good job keeping the rain off my head. So hungry. :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Money should be reserved for the wealthy who have proven they know how to manage it.

Anyone who needs to sell their labor for a living should be housed by their firm and paid in necessities and goods from the company store for their own well-being, lest they fritter away cash on speakeasies, gambling, burlesque, and jazz records, or are bamboozled by swindlers, or simply misplace it through carelessness and mental dullness.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Social Security can't be garnished by the courts and creditors can't take liens against future payments.

Why the gently caress would we allow that for GMI, that sounds like a stupid proposal.

E: You can even deposit 2 months worth of federal benefits in a bank account and private creditors can't touch that amount.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 19, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yea the federal government can do it (this is bad and should be ended) but the objection was private creditors would steal GMI this way. We already protect federal benefits from private creditors, the solution exists so this is just an argument against a strawman GMI.

Obviously if we implement GMI in a dumb way it will have bad results, but that's not an argument against GMI because there are existing ways to handle federal benefits that aren't dumb.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

On the bright side Texas is a popular destination for people fleeing Oklahoma and Kansas. If the Texas GOP doesn't hurry up and destroy the state before too many educated people move here, they might lose control of it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They want government assistance (money going only to them, personally) and not handouts (money going to other people who aren't them).

Those other people are lazy and it's their own fault. My circumstances are special and I'm in a temporary tough spot through no fault of my own.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This reminds me of Hillary Clinton playing 12-D psychological chessmaster gamesmanship and not campaigning at all in the Rust Belt, hoping it would psych out Republicans and trick them into not contesting those states.

"Maybe if we don't campaign in this House race, Republicans will just forget to and we'll win if for free! Oh they didn't forget? Well that seat probably tastes sour anyway."

Clinton 2020 campaign: hire me I have a plan. Don't campaign at all, spend the cash on the biggest baddest crunkest victory party in history on Nov 1. Republicans will be so psyched out by our confidence they'll just give up and withdraw.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

How about going in just a little bit?

Why bother, most of the country is too stupid to vote for us.
*loses all over the map*
See it was hopeless all along.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Queering Wheel posted:

To be fair, you really do have to be a loving retard to want to vote for Estes after Brownback and the Republicans have ran this state into the ground.

Seriously, who in the gently caress are these people? Where the gently caress did all these Estes votes come from? Who are these people who like him enough to show up and vote for him? Who are these people?

You don't have to convert those people (especially in a low turnout affair like this). You just have to convince enough nonvoters that you're better, that you will fight for them, and that it's worthwhile to come out and vote for you.

If the candidate's own party doesn't care and can't be assed, what does that say to everyone else. "We don't even want to look at your retarded cowtown, but vote for us if you want I guess, whatever hicks." Real inspiring.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

At least the Kansas legislature is willing and able to pass tax increases (which Brownback vetoed) so it could theoretically be turned around after he leaves.

Our dumbass constitution requires a 3/4ths super-duper majority to raise taxes, so as long as oil companies can buy 26% of either house in the Oklahoma legislature, then once you cut their taxes you can never, ever, ever get that back :shepicide:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

In all seriousness, how long till Oklahoma goes bankrupt?

We emptied our $250 million rainy day fund to balance the budget this year and protect the oil and gas companies' precious precious tax cuts. And raised taxes on the poor and middle class.

So crisis averted, until next year when we have the same problem but no money in the bank :downs:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

Ahahahahaha holy poo poo. Arizona is truly the dumbest state in the union by a loving mile. What kind of drooling idiot would possibly approve of that plan?

It gets better. After three years of getting skinned on rent, Arizona bought their own capitol back for 25% more than they sold it for

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They got the money to buy it back by cutting education and healthcare, so it wasn't so much stupid as it was probably just evil.

Well I guess it was stupidity on the part of Arizonans for voting in the politicians who took their healthcare away in order to buy back the capitol for more than it sold for lol. And for never learning and continuing to vote Republican.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 5, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Isn't Arizona's modern problem similar to Florida's? A lot of old people move there to retire somewhere warm and then elect the dumbest con men to run the place because their decrepit decaying brains are gullible as gently caress

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But what's Kansas' excuse

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Bible is in there because you have to put it there to get elected in the Bible Belt.

Atlas Shrugged is what he actually believes, the book that ends with a tiny supercapitalist elite killing everyone in the world so they don't have to pay any more taxes even though we are constantly shown that those taxes don't in any way interfere with living their lives in absurd luxury.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Haha oh my God, the governor's counter-proposal

quote:

Sen. Vicki Schmidt, a Topeka Republican who voted in favor of the override, said the governor set the stage for a substantial tax increase by suggesting to the Legislature in January a budget that resembled a house of cards. He talked about closing a $900 million deficit over two years by selling off future tobacco settlement payments to Kansas in exchange for a one-time infusion of cash and recommended the state delay government contributions to the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System.

“The governor has refused to lead at every turn. The budget that he proposed required securitization of the tobacco funds, not making our KPERS contributions and many other bad ideas,” Schmidt said.

Sell the state's tobacco settlements to J.G. Wentworth and divert the proceeds from healthcare to the rich, steal from public pensions and give the money to the rich.

Brownback managed to come up with a plan so evil it even turned Republicans' stomachs, that's loving impressive.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I'd like to remind people that we're discussing a multi-billion dollar industry where adults make millions off the backs of unpaid children. There really isn't any sort of defense for this.

Yeah but I need to believe that those children volunteer do it for the sheer love of competition and school pride, my immersion will be ruined if they do it for the money like every other job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kiimo posted:

Okay so the real problem is how the NCAA is set up then that's something I can agree with but acting like college fans and college sports departments are a bunch of meatheads who desire to destroy the bodies of inner city kids for their own amusement and spit them out without a degree or ability to use the sport as a career is a narrow and dumb take that attacks fandom as the problem.

Obviously they don't desire it, they're just fine with it or they wouldn't fight so hard against any changes to the NCAA.

• Locked thread