Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SoapyTarantula posted:

Sanders won the Kansas primary today. Holy poo poo, my lovely state didn't pick Trump. :stonk:

Uh, they didn't pick Trump because they picked Ted Cruz, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Feinne posted:

I'm not saying we should carpet bomb everything between philly and pittsburgh but maybe it should be on the table?

You wouldn't really be able to tell a difference after the bombing happened.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arglebargle III posted:

I understand not wanting a drive through in a nice neighborhood. Cars are the bane of urban planning and strip malls follow in their wake, like the sea of mud churned up by a plague of cows falling from the sky.

But that place ain't a nice "neighborhood". Here's a google street view so you can look around there:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...6301606!6m1!1e1

It's a complex of strip malls, gas stations, and small ugly office and bank buildings. And surrounding it all is bland suburbia that you would only consider "nice" if you just moved here from war torn Syria or something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm willing to just squint and see the silver lining of Midwesterners actually favoring a walkable community.

Semi-related but I was gone from Austin for seven years and just moved back and there are bike lanes, including a few fully-detached/curbed lanes, simply everywhere now. Now I want DC to just start barring quiet cross-streets off to any traffic that doesn't have to park on that block, maybe will automatic dropping bollards like in Slovenia.

The walkable community of a giant parking lot and strip mall complex that you have to drive to because there are barely even sidewalks connecting it to anything else.

:v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wanderer posted:

I seem to remember being told at one point when I lived in Missouri that Kansas City used to be a pretty major transit hub back when most of the shipping was being done by train, so that might have something to do with it.

Most really long distance stuff is still done by rail, usually with trucks moving it on either end. But the big reason Kansas City was important for that is that it was a point where a lot of different rail companies had a terminus, and there was plenty to be done in transferring between them. These days, most of those have merged into other companies, and there's simply a whole lot less that needs to be transferred around in KC.

St Louis was similarly an important transfer point int he past that got more or less obsoleted. Both those cities now mostly see stuff just passing through.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Yeah I heard that too. Lincoln as well. Silicon Prairie is what they're calling it. No idea if true or not.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/silicon-prairie-great-plains-midwest-startup-tech-companies-entrepreneurs/

Places that actually have a major startup environment besides the normal level you'd expect to see with any largish population center and a big university, they don't feel the need to call themselves the "silicon whatever". They earn their own name or don't even need one - New York City and the surrounding area is full of startups, tech and otherwise, but you don't see it getting a special name.

Really, given how the cities mentioned tend to be major regional centers for other industry and education, as far as that goes, it 'd be more surprising if they didn't have a bunch of startups around.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gail Wynand posted:

Never heard of Silicon Alley?

Which one are you talking about? I've heard that name used for Atlanta, Chicago, and Phoenix.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gounads posted:

I imagine it's better for the U.S. to lose jobs to automation here at home than jobs overseas to cheap labor?

For the capital owners yes, but for the average person it makes absolutely no difference.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Gould got an unnecessarily harsh reputation from the fact that he frequently outwitted other massively wealthy men, which offended them. So they tended to try to have him painted as the most evil to make themselves look good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rscott posted:

Wichita already has the worst public transportation system (and by extension lowest ridership rates) of any top 50 metro area

That's probably because Wichita is the #85 metro area in the country, nearly 500,000 people behind #50 (Buffalo, NY)

anonumos posted:

Well clearly the private sector will step in and provide profitable transportation to replace the buses and trains that the local government had been wasting money on. Right? Right?

Last time there were trains for public transit in Wichita was like 1945.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 16, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I don't think that a basic income is the ideal solution. If you give money to people that need it, the money can then be claimed by debt collectors, stolen by criminals, or squandered on poor decisions (drugs, gambling, beanie babies, whatever). This leaves people without the necessities that the money was intended for.

I believe that a better solution would be to distribute basic necessities to all people, without charging them directly. I would include a small living space, nutritious food, simple clothing, and healthcare.

If some people are going to be insistent on squandering their money, we should just let it happen. A direct cash situation costs the least to administer, and thus means you can give the most benefit for the amount of funds put in.

Emergency supplies can be set up to get people who insist on loving up to not immediately die, without the massive wasteful costs of things like delivering all food/clothing to the poor.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I was picturing something more like public cafeterias. I'd rather not have to monitor everyone to see who needs emergency supplies, and I don't want anyone to starve as a result of being a dumbass.

So do you really not get that your scenario is extremely unlikely, while building and staffing public cafeterias would be even more expensive than delivering food to everyone (on top of the fact that you'd need to be able to get to the cafeterias int he first place)?

Like for real, people buy food when they get hungry. And you can live like a week or two with very little food, if you screwed up and used all your minimum income on buying a gold plated hat or whatever. It's the kind of mistake people aren't going to repeatedly make unless they're mentally impaired enough that they shouldn't live alone in the first place.

Also no "monitoring" is needed, the person could call up or otherwise contact the appropriate authorities.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I never said that I thought that the plan that I described was going to happen. Honestly, I doubt that it'll ever happen in any society with a population bigger than a few hundred.

I do think that it would lead to fewer people going hungry, and I think that it would be less vulnerable to abuse than simply handing out money.

Your description of a person wasting money on gold-plated hats makes me think that a basic income would lead to a new version of the mythical welfare queen: people wasting every BI check, while subsisting on government cheese.

Your solution doesn't actually lead to fewer people going hungry than just plain minimum income, and it requires a whole bunch of extra costs for little purpose.

The same sort of person you're thinking of who consistently blows all their money on gold plated top hats instead of food every month or week or whatever the administrative period is? They're going to trade delivered food for gold plated top hats, or have some weird reason to reject it. So those, frankly crazy people, are going to go hungry anyway and are best served by being under some sort of guardianship because they can't live independently.

Most people who might initially blow all their money from the payment the first time it happens are going to learn quickly that they need to buy food next time, and set aside money for that.

PT6A posted:

What if the only government-provided apartment available is located a long distance away from their job, or their child's school or what-have-you?

The thing is government provided apartments make way more sense. They can be directly planned for with the public transit system, and they'd be unlikely to be too concentrated in any one space. And the only reason getting to their kid's school would be a problem is if the kid's in a private school, and surely someone with the money to pay for that wouldn't need a government apartment in the first place.

Replace that with the government buying up vacant homes in outlying areas or building new ones, in circumstances where there just isn't enough people for apartments to make sense or whatever. Most big cities have housing shortages right now and require new build anyway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The current section eight voucher program works pretty much ideally *when it is funded appropriately*. The problem is Republicans always make drastic cuts to it so there get to be huge waiting lists.

Same thing for food stamps; it's a good program that works well when appropriate ly funded and there is no reason to reinvent the wheel.

I support a mincome but only on top of existing programs (and medicare/Medicaid for all) as an additional benefit. We need that much additional social welfare spending anyway.

No, food stamps are a terrible program. The various exclusions on foods are utterly unnecessary and needlessly punitive to recipients. They only exist because removing them would get conservatives to go after the program faster. Things like the restrictions on "hot food" in most jurisdictions are very much just spite, especially against people who don't have full kitchens at home, or sometimes any kitchen at all in particularly bad housing situations.

It should absolutely be switched to all-cash of at least the same amount of money as soon as possible. That's how food assistance programs get administered in most other countries, and it just works better. Canadians do it that way, for instance.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cythereal posted:

That's part of the joke. During the 19th century, lobster was considered prison food because, well, sea roach.

Only in places where it's cheap, which is mostly like Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts (and to a lesser extent down the rest of the east coast to like Virginia). At the same time that lobster was given to prisoners by the ton because it was so cheap in Maine, lobster was an expensive delicacy out in like Chicago or Denver. And that was all down to the fact that it was a real pain to transport lobsters and lobstermeat without it going bad.

Even today, lobster is still a ton cheaper around here than in the landlocked states.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

IIRC from a previous poster some time ago, the lobster thing was honest-to-god terrible. This wasn't some nice prime stuff fresh from the sea, but rather crushed up shell bits that had been at room temperature for a week.

They would do that from time to time, but most of the time it would be as good lobster as any other lobster is when you don't cook it up real nice. And served sometimes for multiple meals of the day every day of the week. Even if you really like lobster it gets to be a bit much when you're eating it that often.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SalTheBard posted:

We also don't have industries to support going tax free. Texas can do it because they have the oil industry, Florida can do it because they have tourism. Kansas doesn't have any of that ON TOP of what you are saying about the bulk of the population living within an hour of the border.

Buddy, Texas and Florida can't actually support being income tax free either, and their population suffers because of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Would Brownback have been facing a term limit in the next election? If so, then this means that the Republicans get the name-recognition of an incumbent the next go around where they were going to have to run a new face before. Sneaky.

Current Kansas law is the the governor may only have 2 terms of four years each, so yeah he couldn't run again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey Neolib, the polls have him within a percentage point. Look I know you'd like to never ever have to hear from flyover gomers again> But guess what? plenty of them want something beyond getting raped by the GOP. Now I know that also means they want less gun control and more workers protections which you cannot stand. But then the party doesn't need you.

What the gently caress are you trying to say, crazy conservative dude?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Queering Wheel posted:

To be fair, you really do have to be a loving retard to want to vote for Estes after Brownback and the Republicans have ran this state into the ground.

Seriously, who in the gently caress are these people? Where the gently caress did all these Estes votes come from? Who are these people who like him enough to show up and vote for him? Who are these people?

In seriousness, remember, all of those Estes votes just got done voting for Mike Pompeo in November, despite living through years of Brownback and all the rest of the idiots. He won 60.7% to 29.6%.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Typo posted:

so basically we went from R+30 in Nov to R+6 today, granted though the imcumbent is gone but this is still blood red country

not a bad showing, granted the DNC hosed up cuz if they poured like $100k into it maybe the dems would have just won and made every GOP congressman in the country poo poo their pants

E: oh lol thompson beat his polling by like 13 points or something

Not sure what polling you're talking about, unless it was campaign internals from the Democrat side? No outside groups bothered to poll it because they assumes it'd be a Republican blowout.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Uh yeah he earns every penny he makes let's not be that sports-hating dude who thinks athletics overpays it's a stupid and losing argument.

Big college coaches are absolutely overpaid. They're frequently the single highest paid public officeholder in the entire state.

There's no way some coach is really worth $5 million a year to a university that refuses to pay a livable wage for a huge chunk of the people teaching classes and doing research.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobbesmaster posted:

Thanks to crazy bidding on tv rights power 5 conference teams bring in an enormous amount of cash.

You don't need to pay the coach $5 million to get that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Congrats on something that doesn't show any proof he deserves $5 million a year?

Having coaches for university systems be paid multiple millions a year is loving dumb and defending it is even dumber. Even like $1.5 million a year would be fairly stretching the limit of acceptable considering what everyone else who works for the university gets paid for doing the actual job of a drat university.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Sigh. I'm not going to derail this thread any further, sports are a huge loving money-generating machine that millions of people enjoy and identify with but in a dream world spending that kind of money on research would better humanity but you aren't changing the culture and this isn't worth an argument.

Millions of dollars that are then immediately blown on paying giant salaries to coaches and pointless renovations to the sports facilities while the athletes actually doing the work of being a good team get no money or a tiny stipend. Once again: that coach does not deserve $5 million a year. Especially in a state that's literally killing all its social services.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Hahaha this thread man. Yeah college basketball is slave labor for the enjoyment of meatheads and generates zero positives but exploits the poor. These poor kids destroy their bodies for the sake of my immersion because they are tricked into playing a sport for my blood lust and when they end up millionaires there will be nobody to blame but college fans. If you want to argue athletes should be paid that's worth it but spare me this think of the children horseshit. There's no defense of sports shut it down.

Sorry you're so mad that you apparently don't have a real professional sports team nearby to root for?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Okay so the real problem is how the NCAA is set up then that's something I can agree with but acting like college fans and college sports departments are a bunch of meatheads who desire to destroy the bodies of inner city kids for their own amusement and spit them out without a degree or ability to use the sport as a career is a narrow and dumb take that attacks fandom as the problem.

No, college fans are mostly suckers living in places without real professional sports teams to root for.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Well OK that's just simply not true I live in Los Angeles people are obsessed with college sports here.

Most college sports fans don't live in LA my dude. They live in places starved of good professional teams, or sometimes any professional teams in several major sports at all, like Kansas for instance.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Maybe if you keep saying it it will be true but maybe if you assume Kansas fans have nothing to root for but the Jayhawks you can wish away the fact that the Royals and the Chiefs are huge there.

The $5 million a year coach does basketball. Kansas ain't got a pro basketball team and neither does KC Missouri or any other city in Missouri. Sorry you're too ignorant to know this I guess?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

OK I guess I'm ignorant now despite growing up rooting for the Kansas City Kings before moving to Sacramento. I guess I'm ignorant of the state that I was born and grew up in and ignorant of sports because college fans are doomed to only root for college teams and pro fans never root for college teams in some kind of twisted narrow dimension. You win I'm going to stop the derailing the thread while driving.

Yea you are massively ignorant, as evidenced by all your posting in favor of hosed up salaries and a generally hosed up college sports environment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Keep moving the goalposts fishmech.

Sports metaphor trigger alert.

Maybe if you show up on campus in Austin on a Saturday morning when 80,000 people are preparing to watch a Longhorn football game you can remind them that the Dallas Cowboys exist in their state and maybe they'll all go home and that can help support your crackpot theory.

Texas is full of idiots? I don't see how that's relevant to your repeated defense of outrageous coach salaries and the college sports scam in general.

There are much more than 80,000 people attending college sports in all the trash states, and they're a much more relevant part of the local population m

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wuet88 posted:

The NFL lets its players kill themselves without even acknowledging a problem. I think people can like something but also want it to change.

You are a loving idiot.

College sports is also letting people kill themselves only they don't even get paid.

He also sees no issue with the ludicrous levels of coach compensation and spending on everything but the athletes. He does not think those things need to change.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Dude I didn't even get into defending that opinion but nobody wants to read it in this thread. Judging from your rap sheet you are terrible at this anyway and also have little knowledge of the subject matter you just want to make a fiscal statement. Just let it die.

You repeatedly posted things like "but the team is worth so much" to defend it. You got really into defending it.

Also Kansas' entire loving problem is people making the wrong fiscal statements which is why the state is loving collapsing under Brownback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kiimo posted:

Without getting into sports specific topics are you somehow under the impression that Self is paid with university or tax dollars? Because he is paid with private donor dollars. Donors who want a successful program. Or are you pissed he's taking advantage of legal tax breaks?

Because if so, the answer isn't attacking individuals who take advantage of the law, the problem is the law itself. And one thing I can promise is there is little love lost between Kansas government and ultra liberal University of Kansas. Since you keep changing your point it's hard to stay on track.

He is paid with university dollars if he's being paid from "private donors". His salary is drawn from university accounts. I'm really baffled how you don't understand this.

Once again his salary is indefensible and the money should mostly be spent on the actual job of the university. And if donors really did stop spending as much money on the sports program because the man only gets $1 million a year, why the gently caress should anyone care?

fishmech fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 8, 2017

• Locked thread