Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I have no god drat idea what's going on, so at least you're not alone in your confusion, Espilae. I've played a few roguelikes to the point of competency (most notably Dungeons of Dredmor and Dungeonmans, which I actually managed to beat despite the odds, but those are apparently a fair bit less complex than the average roguelike), but Nethack is still several levels beyond me. So the gameplay style of slamming buttons going "how thing work god damnit loving dog" is something I'm familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In the vein of vague recommendations: One of the actions you can do is "kick" (this isn't spoilers, it's in the actions menu), and while it doesn't have a ton of gameplay implications right now, kicking down doors gives you the most satisfying "WHAMM!" message and generally makes you feel like a badass, which fits in with your character. So you should probably just start doing that on any doors you come across from now on.

Also, you can kick your dog if it's getting uppity.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I love this LP. :allears:

May I suggest ADOM as the next one if when Nethack breaks you. It's in the save vein but more sensible, has pretty tiles and a tutorial :v:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You should stream your next attempt. Get some commentators over Skype so long as they promise to give no helpful advice and you promise not to read the stream chat.

Then someone needs to post the video here. :allears:

Pierzak posted:

I love this LP. :allears:

May I suggest ADOM as the next one if when Nethack breaks you. It's in the save vein but more sensible, has pretty tiles and a tutorial :v:

ADOM more sensible than Nethack.

:cawg:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Espilae, given how difficulty it would be to avoid 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink' or outright spoilers in the thread, I think it would be a good idea to make a "companion" thread so we can laugh at you discuss spoilers to our heart's content. Otherwise we're going to make this and/or the Megathread into a CIA document.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Fat Samurai posted:

Espilae, given how difficulty it would be to avoid 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink' or outright spoilers in the thread, I think it would be a good idea to make a "companion" thread so we can laugh at you discuss spoilers to our heart's content. Otherwise we're going to make this and/or the Megathread into a CIA document.

Maybe instead, just post in the Roguelike Megathread and let it fill up with as many tagged spoilers as you want, because there's far too much traffic there for this to overwhelm it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

op if you come across an enemy called a "slime" "lichen" make sure you attack it they're completely harmless

e: ok turns out slimes are something different

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

RickVoid posted:

It is :colbert:

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

It's also the best roguelike. ADOM rules.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
This is a wonderful thread and I'm looking forward to seeing your myriad of experiences through the varying roguelikes of our time. I believe in you. :allears:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

RickVoid posted:

To link the other thread:

RickVoid posted:

*post full of spoilers regarding sudden & terrible death in Nethack*

I rest my case :colbert:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Alright, I'm hooked. Roseanne was my first reaction to Nethack and I feel you're pain, Espilae.

Play on. Play on.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Pierzak posted:

To link the other thread:

I rest my case :colbert:

I could do one for ADOM as well.

Hell, I may try to do a complete one for both. Could be fun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I don't know if you figured it out yet, but when the game asks something like "What do you want to quiver? [-acd or ?*]", hitting asterisk brings up a menu that actually tells you what items a c and d actually are, which is very useful.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 14, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

RickVoid posted:

I could do one for ADOM as well.

Hell, I may try to do a complete one for both. Could be fun.

Please do. Maybe it's because I've played ADOM a lot and Nethack very little and I don't notice the usual pitfalls anymore, but it does seem to me that ADOM has fewer fatal/game-ruining gotchas, at least in the early game when you're still supposed to be figuring out stuff.

But let's take it to the other thread.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

It's also the best roguelike. ADOM rules.
ADOM is somewhat more sane than nethack but it's still not really sane and far from the best

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Good LP. I don't understand classic roguelikes and ASCII games either, and I tend to stay away from LPs because they assume that either you have a basic understanding of the game or can keep track of all that ASCII poo poo.

In a bout of hilarious irony I'm finding it more difficult to tell what's going on in these screenshots because of the tiles. I'm not asking the OP to change though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

chiefnewo posted:

In a bout of hilarious irony I'm finding it more difficult to tell what's going on in these screenshots because of the tiles. I'm not asking the OP to change though.

Yeah, these tiles are pretty muddy

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The images are also freakin' huge, but that's fine.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

RickVoid posted:

The images are also freakin' huge, but that's fine.

Yeah, just a bit smaller would be nice. Anyone knows of a Chrome extension that does "fit to width" like Opera 12 (without scaling the font down)? :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are 2 other tilesets. I like the 32x32 one, even though it means you can't see the entire level at once.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

NETHACK 4: Run 2, Level 2 - The clue is in the name you moron

All right. When we last left our intrepid hero, he was about to descend a staircase. Let's do so, and AH gently caress

What, you couldn't at least have waited until I loving caught my breath at the bottom, you bastard?

Have an arrow! And another!

Good. Prick.

Yay, some cash. And a monster in the distance!

Wait, telepathy? I just noticed this. I'm a human ranger, do they come with telepathy?

Ohh, maybe it's what this amulet does. Let's test it.

Yep, definitely.

I'm going to hang on to this motherfucker then, less nasty surprises walking around corridors.

Now, on to the killing. Hopefully I'm the one doing the killing and not that loving fox.

Well, I pushed a boulder for a while but I'm not getting any closer to it. Wait, where the gently caress is Sirius?

Still upstairs. Here boy!

No, over here.

Here, the stairs. Jesus Christ you poo poo me sometimes, dog.

Down the stairs.. and still no loving dog. But the fox has apparently found us.

Right, whatever, I'm shooting it.

Goddamn frisky fox, going all diagonal on me. Well, apparently I can move diagonal and also shoot diagonal, so let's try that. I don't have a numpad on this laptop though, but maybe the page down near the arrow keys would wo-

OW gently caress. Southeast!? No, NORTHeast you ancient interface piece of poo poo! Let me look up 'vi-keys' a second then, apparently they will work too. Apparently u is northeast.

OUCH. Well, at least I'm firing in the right direction. F for fire, and U for northeast.

And F U to you too, bitey little poo poo.

Now let's pick up my arrows and find this dog.

Why is it that normally I can't go anywhere without stepping the gently caress on you, but as soon as I want you to follow you're off sniffing the loving walls?

Finally. Maybe this time it'll work.

Good. Now stay close, we're going to gently caress poo poo up.

Maybe not that close, goddamn it. Hey a room.

Pretty boring room, let's blow this joint.

Those on the left there must be closed doors, let's go through this no-door hole.

Another room, and another strange loving thing I need to examine before it murders me.

A lichen. That's a plant, right?

Well it doesn't seem to be moving, but I'm not taking any chances in this goddamn game. FIRE!

gently caress YEAH LEVEL TWO MOTHERFUCKERS, ALL FROM KILLING A WEED

Well, all it dropped was a corpse, I wonder if it's any use.

Maybe as a food, it's under 'comestibles' in the inventory menu, but I can't remember if that newt corpse was. Oh well, you should always eat your vegetables, right?

Well, I can't imagine growing on the dungeon floor and being pissed and shat on by murderous foxes and god knows what else did much for its flavour.

Let's go through this door.

Uh, dead end, apparently. Let's try this other one.

Also a dead end. Weird loving design on this level.

Okay, back over here now.

Well, thank you very much sir, I try my best. That's a weird loving message, all I've been doing is killing poo poo with my dog, and if that's a healthy lifestyle, certain parts of America should be loving swole as poo poo by now.

Just checking that the dog is still following me, it disappeared for a second there and I have no idea where to.

I don't know if that means that Sirius just marked his territory or it's something I should be concerned about, but I'll find out in a minute.

Well, gently caress that door then.

gently caress you too, Sirius.

I mean really, gently caress YOU.

Oh look, a newt, they were pretty easy to kill before.

Must be in this room here, but first let's push this rock.

Well, I didn't get very far with that one at all. Let's try the door.

loving locked. This is why I normally play rogues in RPGs, to avoid poo poo like this. Maybe I can kick it down, I found out I can kick things.

YEAH, TAKE THAT YOU WOODEN FUCKER! But did it actually do anything?

The answer to that question is no, gently caress it. Let's try this one over here.

gently caress.

Okay, nobody panic, this one is a completely reasonable door that is not loving locked for no loving reason.

And it just leads out here anyway.

Let's just follow this hallway and see what happens.

Another goddamn fox, behind a closed door thankfully.

It has a friend! They will die together shortly.

But they can keep in that room until I find the end of this goddamn hallway.

Ah gently caress, a diagonal step. Uh, if northeast is u, then northwest should be t, right?

Uh, apparently not. Shut up I don't want to throw anything, except maybe this goddamn dog.

There we go, it's y. Stupid ancient key system thing.

YOU ARE TRYING MY PATIENCE WITH THESE LOCKS, GAME

I have a good feeling about this door.

Apparently the destruction of this door and anyone who made the door and its loving lock constitutes a 'good feeling'.

Finally.

Oh look, my two favourite things - stairs and cash.

Let's pick up the cash and then check on our new animal friends.

What do you mean, 'resists'? Doors don't have feelings, just open up, motherfucker.

What is this, the 'doors who hate Esp' level?

I should have kicked the loving thing, but I guess persistence pays off.

Before I deal with the cunts in the next room, let's check out this sink, maybe it has stuff in it.

I just need to figure out what loving key to use.

Goddamnit.

More with this 'in what direction' poo poo. Down? I have to loot downwards in a sink?

gently caress it, let's just kill these assholes.

Hello sir, I'm a door-to-door arrow salesman. Would you like a free sample?

I think I'm starting to enjoy this game.

Er, wait a minute. Why are there two staircases? Are there just two different entrances to the same floor or different floors? Whatever, let's just keep exploring.

The gently caress is that green thing?

A gas spore. Sounds dangerous, let's shoot it.

GODDAMN IT DOG NOW I CAN'T SEE THE loving THING

Where'd it go?

And now there's something else over there, looks like a bat.

Maybe the gas thing went upstairs? Well, good luck to it.

Oh god it's back, KILL IT KILL IT

MotherFUCKER JESUS CHRIST FIRE THE ARROWS

God-loving-damnit. I suppose the clue's in the name 'gas spore'. God I'm an idiot, but at least it didn't kill me all the way.

Maybe I can walk it off, and if I see another one of those bastards I'm shooting it immediately in the face, if it even has a face.

And now my tummy's rumbling, apparently that lichen lunch didn't really do much.

Luckily I have some food on me, though I don't like the sound of 'cram rations'. Is cram a food, or a verb in that word?

Let's just eat a normal brand ration.

Good, that didn't kill me. I think that that is probably the closest you get to a success in a roguelike, that something perfectly innocuous DIDN'T end up slaughtering you horribly.

I wonder who keeps leaving all these goddamn rocks around.

I hope there was nothing good at the end of that tunnel.

Now, how do I get to that room over there? There must be another way.

Maybe I need to diagonal walk in one of those dead ends or something, because that sounds like something perfectly natural to do.

Nope, didn't work there.

Okay, over here now.

I couldn't move anywhere in that hallway before, now why can I? Weird.

Time to die, lizard.

gently caress YEAH I'm now a Lookout, whatever that means. And I've apparently recovered fully from that gas spore debacle, thank gently caress for that.

Well that doesn't sound too terribly good. Maybe it's a baby, though even if it is in this dungeon it's probably adorably cute and impossibly deadly.

Urgh, what's that white thing?

A gecko. Arrows at the ready.

Yay, killed the thing but what the gently caress is this poo poo? Oh, I accidentally pressed x, which is apparently the change weapon button. Sweet.

Back to arrow time, but good to know I can dagger at will too.

Okay. Two staircases. Looks like I have a choice to make.

And you're going to help me choose! I leave my easily-startled, easily-frustrated carebear self in your guided hands, roguelike goons. Should I go for the fat staircase or the skinny staircase? I don't know what difference it'll make, but you do. Hopefully it won't kill me immediately but going by my first descent I'm now very loving worried.

Voting closes soon, so make them choices!

NEXT TIME: Fat or skinny? Probably hosed either way tbh

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 16, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Skinny staircase.

If your kick doesn't work, keep kicking.

Apathy0o0
Jul 9, 2004
Fire is my friend
One thing that will helped when I started playing Nethack was printing out this quick reference to the keys. Just don't go poking around on that wiki if you want to stay spoiler free.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't actually remember what it means so skinny

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
This perfectly captures the way I felt the first time I ever played a roguelike (which was nethack, incidentally).

Godspeed, good sir.

:allears:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I like your LP style. Talking through your thinking makes this whole thing really nostalgic.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You don't want to be a fatso, do you? Didn't think so.

rchandra posted:

Skinny staircase.

If your kick doesn't work, keep kicking.

And yeah, just keep kicking the poo poo out of the doors until they learn who's boss. I demand to know what's behind that last door before you leave. :argh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 15, 2015

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Skinny is probably your better bet in this case. Maybe.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The command to drink things is called 'quaff'. Just putting that out there for later use.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

The command to drink things is called 'quaff'. Just putting that out there for later use.

Surprisingly, it says this in the help menu for keybinds.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Stop handholding the baby and just let him read the help file at his leisure.

Go down the Skinny staircase.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
VI keys really are the best. Look at this, he's been playing nethack all of 20 minutes and he's already converting. If that's not proof I don't know what is.

e: And I have no idea which staircase is which with these tiles so I'm going to say you should probably go down the fat staircase.

uPen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 15, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i used to play roguelikes with hjkl as my directional keys, which randomly corresponded to up/down/left/right

fun

also if a door is locked just keep kicking it, i don't remember if it opens them but it probably will

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 15, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dreggon posted:

i used to play roguelikes with hjkl as my directional keys, which randomly corresponded to up/down/left/right

fun

also if a door is locked just keep kicking it, i don't remember if it opens them but it probably will

"hjkl" is what people mean when they say "vi" keys.

http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

uPen posted:

VI keys really are the best. Look at this, he's been playing nethack all of 20 minutes and he's already converting. If that's not proof I don't know what is.
"If you spend like half an hour you can begin to learn them" is not very convincing, no

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Espilae, is it OK to tell you what cram rations are? I've never played Nethack, but it's not game-related - at least not beyond things already in your screenies.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jedit posted:

Espilae, is it OK to tell you what cram rations are? I've never played Nethack, but it's not game-related - at least not beyond things already in your screenies.

It's all right, I remembered what cram is, I've read The Hobbit, and I imagine it's just a crappy version of a ration, at least that's what it sounds like.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Espilae posted:

It's all right, I remembered what cram is, I've read The Hobbit, and I imagine it's just a crappy version of a ration, at least that's what it sounds like.

Tasteless but very nutritious and compact. If you look at your screenshot, it's 5 weight lighter than a normal ration. So it's probably right to eat normal rations first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I never played Nethack but it pains me to see that chest on the first floor unopened and the sink undrinked from. If you can even do that? Surely there must be commands for drinking from sinks and prying open chests? Don't leave anything unexplored!

• Locked thread