Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still don't understand the point of the kickstarter. 2 million dollars is a joke and can only have been the initial goal in order to drive up hype for stretch goals. The end total will be closer to 10 million, guaranteed. But how can 10 million dollars make a AAA game?

Lots of devs use kickstarter to obtain a portion of their funding alongside other investors/grants/savings/etc, and it's also a good way to generate publicity and prove to potential investors that there are consumers willing to pay for the product you're developing (before it even exists, too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That's how the Ouya got funded lol

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Is Wii U Animal Crossing on a possibility.

If that got announced, on top of Shenmue 3 my wife is gonna be doing cartwheels. The only thing that could top it for her would be a 3DS Fantasy Life sequel rather than the lovely mobile one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gravy Jones posted:

Is Wii U Animal Crossing on a possibility.

If that got announced, on top of Shenmue 3 my wife is gonna be doing cartwheels. The only thing that could top it for her would be a 3DS Fantasy Life sequel rather than the lovely mobile one.

Animal Crossing amiibos have leaked, they could be for the 3DS game, but who knows!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There really isn't any pleasing some people. The more exclusives there are, the more people will complain that big companies are throwing money around to create artificial exclusives of Unreal Engine easily cross-platform stuff. That announcement for Rise Of The Tomb Raider disappointed a bunch of people and pleased... nobody? Because nobody who owns an X1 will find noticeable improvement by the move.

On the other hand, if there aren't any, everybody complains that there's no reason to buy the console, r/pcmasterrace, etc.

That said, I really wouldn't read FF7 as an Xbox title until it's explicitly said to be one by name. The game has existed as a PC title since the 90s, but the original console exclusivity deal never seemed to change even when it seemed like it probably expired long ago. You should get it on PC since it will probably be on PS6 as Final Fantasy 17 by the time it's ready to launch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Craptacular! posted:

On the other hand, if there aren't any, everybody complains that there's no reason to buy the console, r/pcmasterrace, etc.

The solution is lots of really good first party exclusives and no wasting money on keeping third parties tied down.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the solution is creating new first/second party franchises and not buying up traditionally multiplatform titles

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Shenmue 3 is fully funded

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Steve2911 posted:

It might pull some investor funding too.

Sony must be giving some moneys toward it aswell right?

Anyways Sony won that poo poo they just churned out a gently caress tonne of games. The only thing I actually lost hype about was Call of duty, I loved BLOPS 1 & 2 but I'm not too keen on the Titan Fall gameplay in my Call of duty.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If Shenmue III had been funded normally, the same number of people would have bought it, but none of them would have spent $10,000 for it.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

That loving Sned posted:

If Shenmue III had been funded normally, the same number of people would have bought it, but none of them would have spent $10,000 for it.

I just looked at this four people put $10'000 towards this jesus christ, then 637 people put $500 gently caress me sideways

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's a lot of figurines to produce.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Some genius at Sony thought of this a while ago and is cracking their knuckles in glee

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Is Shenmue 3 going to live up to the hype? Doubt it.

The first one was loving amazing but that was like 14 years ago. Pretty much every open world RPGish game now has what made Shenmue so special back then. Never got a chance to play the second one so I have no idea what the gently caress happened in the story or if the game was even good.

I guess it's cool some old Japanese dude gets to finally finish his story he was trying to write a decade and a half ago, but that's about it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Avalanche posted:

Is Shenmue 3 going to live up to the hype? Doubt it.

The first one was loving amazing but that was like 14 years ago. Pretty much every open world RPGish game now has what made Shenmue so special back then. Never got a chance to play the second one so I have no idea what the gently caress happened in the story or if the game was even good.

I don't really know what living up to the hype or not would ential exactly. It's not going to be a ground-breaking game or anything, but I think a lot of people who played it when it came out were, at the time, invested in the story... so a non-disappointing continuation of that might be enough to live up to the hype for them.

FWIW the second game was better than the first in pretty much every respect.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
I want a Mega Man Legends 3 kickstarter now

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would donate to video game kickstarters for Bayonetta 3, Wonderful 102, Viewtiful Joe 3, Zero Escape 3 and Yakuza 6 because they are all doomed franchises

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Guys who made bobble head final fantasy must be pissed. Hey thanks for showing a trailer for our dumb game that no one cares about or has mentioned at all right before the FFVII announcement.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

VoLaTiLe posted:

I just looked at this four people put $10'000 towards this jesus christ, then 637 people put $500 gently caress me sideways

The really impressive thing is that nearly half of the backers spent more than 60

Usually it's way more lopsided towards the lower tiers, and with a digital copy available at 29 it's even more surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cute time: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726222

• Locked thread