Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

OldSenileGuy posted:

:psyduck: are there even 90 different Amiibo out?

There are going to be a lot of non-Amiibo skins I'm sure.

Alternately, every single Animal Crossing villager card will be a playable character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If Sonic is a skin for Mario people will lose their minds

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rocketlex posted:

I just wanna know if I can have a Yoshi riding a Yoshi.

Doesn't look like it. Mario 1 and 3 use Kuribo Shoe instead of Yoshi

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

when are we getting a Tingle Amiibo???

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i believe in tingle

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wish the amiibo costumes could get other power ups, or were just aesthetic choices per-level instead of being power ups themselves

But I guess if there's like 100 of them then having big forms and fireball forms is like double to triple the work so I can kind of understand

Sucks that charizard and bowser can't spit fireballs or doctor Mario can't throw pills, etc. not even asking for custom abilities just re skinned fire Mario

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This is reminding me of You Don't Know Jack's weirder moments which is not something I expected to say about a Mario game

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The metroid-style level is really cool, and the scrolling shooter with functional boss battle is really rad. I'm glad you can set a trigger to change to boss battle music, that's super awesome.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

No Such Thing posted:

I pledge to make ghost houses only.

Finally overcrowding in Ghost Houses will come to an end. A house for every ghost

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Honestly expecting to see other NES game themes as DLC. Zelda (mix of 1 and 2), Kirby's Adventure, Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc

They'll just be reskins of the default SMB1 set or something but look like other classic games. so you'll have moblins over koopas or whatever

It just seems like a very Nintendo thing to do, crossover cosmetics rather than new functionality

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

slopes of any sort seem to be in such high demand that I imagine they'll figure out a solution for DLC (probably free?). probably have like one or two slope angles at least, you can make that stuff work on a grid system i'm sure

besides you can't do proper sonic costume levels without slopes

my personal powerup wishlist includes the wearable koopa shell from NSMB because other than the raccoon tail that was the most fun

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bean posted:

Anyone think maybe they're slowly releasing small dlc like with Splatoon? I don't know about slopes, but that would be an easy way to release smaller functionality (like check points), as well as more goofy stuff (here's all the enemies, but they're purple this time and the level flips upside down when you touch one.)

With how well Splatoon and Smash Bros DLC is going for them I have a feeling Mario Maker DLC is inevitable

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

FPzero posted:

People keep saying the physics are the same across games but I thought that pretty much every report says that each game has its original physics? Granted I haven't followed reviews of this much at all but I feel like that was the prevailing consensus.

I think the physics are the same but the abilities differ. So SMW Mario can spinjump, NSMB Mario can wall-jump, SMB3 Mario has the flight meter, that kind of stuff.

Enemy behavior also changes, apparently. Most notably Bowser Jr does totally different stuff in different game styles.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only mechanical thing I'd like to see would be some simple on-interaction trigger tool, like "when this item is killed/used, this item appears/disappears". Then you could have walls that vanish after killing a boss or pipes that only appear when you hit a series of blocks in the right order or whatever

But that seems to go against the visual nature of the level design toolset as it currently exists, where everything is just made to be understood as an individual 'toy' you can stick into the level or glue to other 'toys' to get weird interactions, so i can't blame them for avoiding any logic-based tools

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

blablablabla posted:

Metroid guy used those time delay falling donuts to prevent people from skipping the boss

that only works if the boss moves around enough to force people out of the corner like that though. it wouldn't work for everything. but it is a clever solution

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

this commercial is cool and i hope it gets a lot of kids excited about making their own mario levels

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Can stacks of enemies be nested inside pipes or cannons? Or just individual ones?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If you've played two NSMB games(any two) you can skip the rest. They're all good but they made too many too quickly so they're kind of samey. I do recommend getting four people together for the Wii or Wii U ones sometime though because it's pretty fun and crazy to do co-op 2D Mario.

3D World being 3D eliminated a lot of the chaos of that mode.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Macaluso posted:

What happens if you put Mario Maker's bowser into the clown car? Does he get his original design back? Or any of his moves?

He keeps the new sprite but he'll duck into the clown car and throw out bobombs on either side like he did the mechakoopas in the SMW boss battle. If you use Bowser Jr instead he throws koopa shells rather than bobombs

They do this on all game styles though I think? The biggest change is how Bowser attacks. SMB1 just spits fireballs forward, SMB3 does the block destroying butt-stomp, SMW spits fireballs into the sky and they rain down like in his original boss battle, NSMB spits out a bunch of them rapidly in a fan pattern.

If you stick SMB3 Bowser in a clown car he can't butt-stomp anymore though obviously. But the others still do their thing I think.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is that limit per-area or total?

Like could I have an area with 3 bowsers then take a pipe to another area with 3 more? Or is it 3 in the level period?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The DK level guy made a Wind Waker level and it works pretty well even though you can't do water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfB4ArhZol4

I'm kind of surprised how nice you can make levels look by decorating them a bit

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

1ups matter, but you can only get 3 maximum per level carried over into the next ones.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Is this true? Wow, that is harsh!

Well if they didn't limit it people would add like hundreds of 1ups per level or whatever just to get rated higher.

That's still 3 1ups per level which adds up quickly when you're not doing some real bad ones.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's easy to make a level hard by way of being poorly designed and then just say it takes skill to overcome how lovely it is, but yeah I hope that we get levels of all sorts of skill levels and lots of fun, weird stuff in addition to Baby's First Kaizos

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

You could do some dick move stuff like hide vines in invisible blocks that let you bypass impossible poo poo but odds are smart people will figure it out eventually too

Plus there's an automatic rating system for difficulty based on the percentage of players who complete a level and how many lives it takes, so you can tell the game to give you Easy or Medium levels and it should avoid the megahard kaizo stuff

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Miiverse posts can be left as in-game messages so if you find the invisible box you can just leave a message on that spot that says THIS IS WHERE THE VINE IS TO BEAT THE LEVEL? that is loving rad

i could see like a whole genre of collaborative puzzle stages come out of that, people slowly solving them via miiverse messages

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

HenryEx posted:

Or load the level into the editor and see the solutions immediately

thats not fun though

well it might be fun

actually both ways are probably kind of fun

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Wouldn't putting Mario maker levels and tutorials and LPs on YouTube help sell the game? It's not like a Bioware title or Metal Gear or whatever where the story is why people buy it. It's a toolset to make and share stuff

Nintendo should ease off

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's okay to make levels that make you happy and share them even if you think they are not amazing

It is also okay to not make levels at all and just play ones other people made!

Mario does not judge you, Mario loves you for who you are

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Since the embargo is up is there a full list of Costume Mario options up anywhere yet? There's like 90+ of them and we've only seen maybe half that many.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

These are super cool, I love the Mario Kart costume. Gonna have to build a Go Fast level with that one.

And seeing arcade Mario Bros Mario running around in Super Mario Bros is real weird!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWBtfATiH6s

reupload of the costume showcase video

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

all the costumes in image form:

waluigi and slippy are probably the best. go kart mario is really good though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

its more important to play as the wii fit balance board than daisy, sorry

this is a good level

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Color Printer posted:

Now we just need a video where they show off every costume's death and level complete themes. And also have every costume pose, because apparently most leakers forget that feature exists completely

this is the sort of obsessive documentation that gamexplain thrives on so im sure we'll see that come release day

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Super Mario Maker: Finally, A Good Sonic Game

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hedrigall posted:

That's cool. How would we get screenshots up?

Post a picture of your level to Miiverse and then save it and reupload it on the site I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSY1bY6GI3I

heres that video that shows all the amiibo costumes and poses and music for them and stuff

• Locked thread