Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Color Printer posted:

They're still trying really hard not to say "September 11th" which makes me wonder why they didn't change it ages ago.

There's really no reason to shy away from 9/11 as a date. Its just a day. Yeah, something really lovely happened on that day 14 years ago, but I don't see any reason to get all sensitive about not releasing things on that particular day going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting this from the Wii U thread, since this issue features Mario Maker:

Just want to again sing the praises of Nintendo Force magazine. Issue #16 includes a celebration of Super Mario Maker in particular, and user created content in Nintendo games in general. While turning to a print magazine for things like game previews and reviews is a bit outdated...the NF crew has an informal, lighthearted style that's always fun to read over, and the special Feature section each issue is well worth the cost of admission.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised they didn't just release on the 13th and hit the anniversary exactly. Maybe an eShop release on Sunday with physical copies dated for Monday?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VideoGames posted:

i truly think this is a benefit. like lessons almost. get good with the basics then start on the advanced.

Yeah; this is how they did it with Splatoon and it worked out great. And hey, like a couple people have already said, just futz with your system clock to unlock everything if you're impatient.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

I cancelled my pre-order, no joke. I play games on my own time and don't want to wait for the full experience to be unlocked. People may see it as an overreaction but I have such little time to play games now with work and school I don't need anymore restrictions.

So just change system time settings to unlock everything in less than an hour?

EDIT: And how far does this neurosis extend? Almost every video game ever is built upon a linear progression of content. Be it "beat Level 1 to access Level 2" or something more involved, I can't think of a whole lot of games that give you "the entire experience" from the moment you boot up.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 12, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Downercut posted:

Do we know what the gray ? block on day 6 is?

My first guess is one of the gimmick ? blocks, like the ghost house ones that float around, or move after the first hit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey, looks like the eShop preload is live too. Not sure if you can access it from the Wii U yet, but they're at least selling it via the official site.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did they say if there's any mechanic in place to make sure the player can't get stuck and have to run out the clock or suicide? I'm imagining something where you need a trampoline to get over a wall, but it's entirely possible for you to have lost the trampoline down a chasm and can't get another one.

Usually professionally designed games get around this situation by making sure it doesn't come up. IE: if you need a trampoline, then there's gonna be a pipe or something nearby that infinitely spits out trampolines. But that might not be the case with SMM.

The only stipulation on being able to upload is "level is able to be beaten"...but I assume there will be some kind of Report system for things like "This level spells out DICKSUCKER in blocks" or "has inescapable death trap"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

blablablabla posted:

Only problem with the limitations is that ill probably be playing the game 48+ hours straight after release

Just turn it off after midnight for a bathroom and snack break, then boot back up!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm guessing the scaled down 16bit sprite was used because its much more iconic than the 8bit one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bean posted:

So what exactly is it about Pokemon that keeps Pokemon stuff out of Nintendo games? I would have thought Nintendo had some rights to that property.

The Pokemon Company isn't directly owned by Nintendo. Nintendo has exclusive publishing rights though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, the lack of sloped ground seems like a really bad oversight...Mario 3 had slopes in the second level; its not uncommon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised that nobody has shown off Ganondorf, Dr. Mario or ESPECIALLY Zero Suit Samus yet. Guess none of the review copy holders are also amiibo importers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spacebump posted:

I really want to buy this digital but also want the 30th anniversary Mario amiibo. Has Nintendo announced if that will be sold seperatly in North America?

Yes, both colors of 8-bit Mario amiibo will be sold separately.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OldSenileGuy posted:

I just want to know if they're selling the bundle in the US. Should I assume since there's no listing of it by now the answer is no?

I can't promise you anything, but I haven't seen any listings either.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

blablablabla posted:

I lost the little pen thing that comes with the wii u controller and im scared.

You can buy replacements straight from Nintendo, and probably at places like Wal-mart and GameStop too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AfroLine posted:

just use the 3dsxl one

It's certainly functional, but it won't fit in the little storage slot properly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Willo567 posted:

I wonder why they didn't use his NES sprite?

I'm guessing it's out of scale with small Mario. Same reason the mega man sprite is edited.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The only thing missing that I think will seriously hamper creativity is sloped terrain.

Context-sensitive blocks, fire brothers, etc would all be neat to have, but not really critical.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Minidust posted:

Do the costume unlocks only apply to what you can put in a level? Like if I downloaded that Donkey Kong themed level, would the DK/Diddy mushrooms show up if I hadn't unlocked them yet (or scanned their amiibo)?

Correct; you can pick up whatever amiibo costume mushrooms you want that have been placed into levels, but when making your own levels, you have to have scanned the amiibo yourself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wait, so what does unlocking the "costume" through 100 mario challenge actually do? Allow us to play levels AS that character?

Does the same thing as scanning an amiibo; unlocks a costume for use in building levels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Holy poo poo, is that last one Chie from Persona 4?

Nikki from Swapnote.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Does the $10 amazon Prime discount work on the Digital Code option? Or just the hard copy?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

J-Spot posted:

The "save with prime" message disappears when you switch to the digital version so I assume not.

drat :( guess I'll just buy straight through the eShop then.

What's the most painless way to convert PayPal bux to eShop bux? I can always just withdraw it to my bank account, but that always seems to take forever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

codenameFANGIO posted:

lol if you haven't preloaded your digital copy and ordered your free companion booklet yet

I get paid tomorrow morning!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Manticore posted:

I haven't used it myself, but you can get eShop cards as PayPal Digital Gifts. Should be painless enough?

Oh neat! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hedrigall posted:

What's with all the 4-digit codes?

I think you can put those in in-game and pull up full levels from those samples.

• Locked thread