Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Moriatti posted:

The question is, can I make cavernous Metroid-type levels?
The question is, where is Super Metroid Maker?

Metroid Maker is pretty much impossible. There would probably be two or three great mazes in the sea of poo poo. Zenda Dungeon Maker, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Holy poo poo, that's amazing! I really didn't expect them to include tools for musical levels! Although I wonder how Nintendo will deal with all the levels in which every tile yells "YOURE A FAG TROLLED" at you.
I really hope this game will get a lot of good levels. Since, if I remember correctly, you can unlock Amiibo skins in challenge modes, I'm kinda worried that there will be a bunch of easy "Have a free skin!" levels.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 12, 2015

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You could have a reasonable workaround just by not including timeless levels in 10/100 Mario challenges. Honestly there's a few things I hope they patch in which do feel like big oversights; the lack of a win token, the lack of water outside of exclusively underwater environments and the lack of checkpoints. I can see maybe water would be a holdup due to it never being in SMB1 but I really don't get the absence of the others

Well, SMB1 had above-ground water in 3-1. Sure, you could never swim in it, but Mario Maker has way weirder things in SMB1 tileset, so I don't get why they couldn't just add one animation of splashing water, or something like that.
I hope that Nintendo will just release patches/DLC for this game. They've done well with SSB, Splatoon and Mario Kart, and more tools to play around with is never a bad thing.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Spectacle Rock posted:

Here's my concern. Nintendo tends to have a "if we update it, it invalidates stuff we've done so far" attitude.

For example, in Smash Bros Wii U, when they update the game, it makes your older replay files not work anymore.
Are there even any other examples? They had a bunch of games with patches and DLC recently, and I think they've been pretty good with this, unlike many other companies. Maybe there's just no workaround with that particular feature?
Also, there are jumping lava balls in this game, as far as I remember.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
The way that ? Blocks work is understandable, since fan-levels are often way more gimmicky and we'll see more levels where you should have a certain power-up at a certain part. Putting two blocks is much more stupid and might make someone with a small Mario stuck, because they hit those blocks at once, getting two mushrooms. And, sure, I would like more poo poo, but the ability to combine elements seems more important than having Walking Fire guys from Mario 3 or something like that. It's not meant to be a tool for recreating your favorite levels!
Mario games had a lot of poo poo, and I can't imagine how anyone is surprised that some elements are missing. Mario 3 had something different basically every level! Half above ground-half underground levels, pyramids, bolted blocks, red note blocks, tanks, black and white levels, sideway Thwomps, etc. Sure, slopes, some new power-ups, water tiles and vertical levels would be nice, and I think they'll add some packs that may have them, but having every element from four games is asking too much.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 23, 2015

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
While we're on the subject of what we want, I think I would want night levels. 3-1 is my favorite SMB1 level, because white pipes with dark sky look rad. I would make every level SMB1 night level.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not that I specifically want to recreate levels, that's just a barometer for the feature-completeness of the game. I want the same creative freedom that the original creators had and it seems bizarre that it's anything less than that. They obviously have (way outdated) tools they used to create those levels, couldn't they port them over?

I think they just didn't have enough time (at least for more obvious elements that aren't there). I see no reason for why they couldn't add, let's say, Fuzzy, and I'm sure they didn't just forgot. We know that they kept working at the game at least until E3, and I would imagine that testing this thing would be kinda hard, since everything should work together, and many elements can be combined. I don't know much about creating games, but I feel like programming a sun that chases you might be easier than recreating it perfectly and then putting it inside a sandbox where you can give it wings, make it big, put a hat on it and attack it many different ways.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Bean posted:

Anyone think maybe they're slowly releasing small dlc like with Splatoon? I don't know about slopes, but that would be an easy way to release smaller functionality (like check points), as well as more goofy stuff (here's all the enemies, but they're purple this time and the level flips upside down when you touch one.)

Splatoon's additional content was there for easing players in and for keeping players online. Mario Maker doesn't really need people playing it at the same time, and you already have to wait 9 days to unlock everything. I think some large DLC, like Luigi U, is a safe bet, but I doubt they'll pay as much attention to Mario Maker as they do to Splatoon. Otherwise they would've already announced it, and probably added something like contests for best levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I dunno, I actually feel like bosses are pretty weak. Being able to just go past SMB3 and SMW Bowsers, along with Bowser Jr. defeats their purpose, and basically turns them into another obstacle. Spawning Bowsers everywhere has its potential, but I would like some "Boss mode", where it would lock the camera and not let you progress until you kill them.

• Locked thread