Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Got to play "Super Mario Maker" and I can honestly say this is the end all 2D Mario Platformer. It is just way too much fun.

Stuff I saw that I didn't see reported elsewhere (my apologies for repeat information).

*The Nintendo Rep said that in order to upload a level you create yourself, you first must beat the level yourself. This will obviously prevent people from uploading levels that cannot be done.

*One level had the "Beanie Cap" power up from New Super Mario Bros Wii. That was unexpected.

*The throwbacks to the SNES Mario Paint saving music is :mario:

*Somehow there is a way to change music/sound effects. I saw a person die on a Super Mario Bros 1 tileset level and when they died the death sound jingle was different. They were still 8 bit Mario and weren't under the influence of an Amiibo Mushroom so somehow you can toggle music it seems.

This game has infinite replay value. Part of the fun is seeing a combination of something that you've never seen before or dreamed of (here comes a GIANT Bowser in the Koopa Clown Car) for example. I love it and playing it made me want the game even more.

Kuribo's Shoe = Game of the Year.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's a shot of the Sonic skin - it looks like they just scaled down his Sonic 1 sprite, I guess? https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYQHAAABAACXVHhnCigWlQ

Now I've seen everything!

We've yet to see what happens (if anything) when an Amiibo Costume Mario gets a regular Super Mushroom. Probably nothing, but it'd be neat if they got "bigger."

Also, it seems that each user created Mario Maker Stage uploaded to Miiverse is given a unique 16 character hexadecimal code.

So, that means there is a theoretical maximum of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 uploaded to Miiverse Super Mario Maker levels that can exist online simultaneously at any given time.

Nintendo did say that levels won't remain indefinitely, so at least they can keep a lot online at once if they feel like it.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
This game cannot come out fast enough. This game seems to have almost everything.

I don't like the 120 downloaded levels saved locally on the Wii-U at once limit. There should either be no limit (as long as you have the hard drive space) or the limit should be so large you'd almost never reach it, like 9999 levels.

But, 120 is a good number for Nintendo.

Also, we need to see Ness' Amiibo form for Mario. Probably a shrunk down Ness, but they could go with Ninten from Mother 1 (or the small sprite from the Dinosaur Section of Earthbound)

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Aww that makes me sad, why wouldn't they add the beloved SMB3 powerups? At least the shoe made it.

I figured it out last night why there aren't SMB3 slopes, or all the other power ups.

The reason is two-fold

1) They want everything to fit on a grid.
2) They want everything to have a counterpart in all 4 Mario-Games

Kuriko's Shoe becomes Yoshi, and that actually makes sense. Both of them can walk on spiky surfaces and let you jump higher.
The Mystery (Amiibo) Mushroom is only in Super Mario Bros. In all other games, it becomes a flight power up (raccoon leaf, feather, propeller hat). There was no flying in the original Mario Bros so this makes sense.

Basically, it seems to me an "item" or "tool" you can place in the world is only fair game if it has a counterpart of some sort for all 4 Mario titles the game emulates.

In short, the appeal of swapping on the fly for another Mario Title of style is why we probably won't get a Frog Suit anytime soon. It could happen, but they'd have to come up with an equivalent for the Frog Suit for all the 3 other games (or allow it to exist in all 4 games which is fine with me)

But, I'm not going to complain. We have Kuribo's Shoe and that's the best power up ever so life is good.

EDIT: In a stream I saw someone take Super Mario Bros 3 "Bowser Jr" and give him a Super Mushroom and Wings. Doing this made him sort of behave like Boom Boom from SMB3 in my opinion so that's cool.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I hope we can get some DLC updates eventually for extra tiles.

I think we might eventually get a "Youtube Replay" feature that let's you upload your playing of a level to Youtube.

Here's my concern. Nintendo tends to have a "if we update it, it invalidates stuff we've done so far" attitude.

For example, in Smash Bros Wii U, when they update the game, it makes your older replay files not work anymore.

I'd be afraid that if they added DLC via update for Super Mario Maker, it might make all the existing levels you've made (and online files) not work anymore.

Of course, a decent programmer could make it work, but you would have had to have planned for DLC expansion in the first place.

What I want:
*More Powerups from games (Frog Suit, Tanooki Suit, Hammer Bros Suit)
*A ?-Block that gives Mario the appropriate item based upon his size.
*Fuzzy
*Fireballs that come up out of lava pits.
*Those pulley elevator things from Super Mario Bros (the two platforms attached by a pulley)
*Different colored Yoshi that have the appropriate power from Super Mario World.
*Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) stuff.
*Super Mario All-Star Style Sprites (for fun)
*Other playable characters without the need to get a Mystery Mushroom first. (Let a level start as Luigi or Princess with their proper physics)
*Ability to make a level with no time limit.
*Youtube Replay Functionality.

There, that stuff would make the game fully complete. I put in bold the stuff I'd want the most.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Nolgthorn posted:

This guy is doing a lot of "themed" levels focusing on the amiibo, which highlights one of the flaws of the game. He's lacing his levels with tons of whatever amiibo he themed the level to be about. So there are constant power-ups "in case you get hit" there's no challenge there.

There should be one or two mystery mushrooms in the level. If you get hit that's your fault. Also, you could counteract this with difficult platforming over gaps that result in instant death should you fail. That'd be a way to counteract a bunch of powerups, just make difficult jumps that kill you despite your state.

Also, I am really tired of waiting for this game. I feel like I should have it by now and all these Youtube videos aren't helping!

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
If any of you do make a level that is insanely hard, please provide and obvious 1-up mushroom at the beginning of the course. It is just common courtesy. Some of us will be trying to do the 10 or 100 Mario challenge and from the Youtube Videos I've seen some of them can take 20-30 lives to beat. So, be kind, provide Shrooms!

Kelp Plankton posted:

1ups matter, but you can only get 3 maximum per level carried over into the next ones.

Is this true? Wow, that is harsh!

edit: I guess I can understand, this stops someone from making a level containing 50 1-up Mushrooms. Helps combat the 1-up spam someone might make and ruin the "meta-game."

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
It is a Saturday night. The game has obviously reached gold master status. I am very bored and asking myself why am I not able to purchase and play this game right now?

Looking forward to playing all the goon made levels, just 13 more days...

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

pichupal posted:

I wonder how feasible it is to make that Mario World Ghost House where the room just repeats with minor differences...

Can your sub-world share the same theme as the main one?

Yes, your sub-world share the same theme as the main one.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Little Mac posted:

Yeah but then I can just download your level, figure out where that vine box is, and then go back online, clear it, and leave a message on the stage talking about how lovely your level design is. Plus, if such a bad level comes up in 100 Mario, you can just swipe and skip. No big deal.

Also, all levels can be downloaded and sent to edit mode, so, you can "sweep" a level for hidden stuff in edit mode. So, you'd be very hard pressed to keep easter eggs full hidden. Also, Miiverse Comments can post inside the level itself saying "Hidden Thing Here!"

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Eonwe posted:

they would rather dick some people over for youtube pennies

Does Nintendo do this themselves explicitly to videos or is it Youtube's auto detection? The difference matters.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
They should NOT have released the game on that day. Miiverse already makes these kinds of joke year round; this is just giving them fuel...

So, how many of you are going to time travel to unlock everything as soon as possible? I sure am not waiting days to get a fully functional Super Mario Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Sam Faust posted:

Before people start playing the game, one thing you should know is that when you start, you can only upload 10 levels total. If you get 50 stars (likes) that number increases to 20 uploads. I don't know how high the number of uploads you get goes, but I suspect there would be at least one more increase to 30 uploads.

Protip, you can have multiple Miiverse Accounts on the same Wii U. There is a hard limit, but you can have at least 4. So, to get around the upload limit, you can just make extra users on the Wii U and have all of them upload stages.

Maybe this is also why Nintendo has the daily unlock system, to make it so people cannot easily upload a bunch of stages using multiple users.

• Locked thread