Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i have never been more excited for a videogame in the entire 23 year history of playing and enjoying and looking forward to videogames. this is not hyperbole.

who else here is going to try and win one of those limited packs where you have to make your own video?

who else has their younger selves designs all ready to go for release day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
forgive me if this has been answered in the videos, but in regards to music and sounds I am assuming that the SMB1 is 8bit and so on for respective tilesets. If you were to take a NSMB music track could you put it in SMB1 and would it play an 8bit version and vice versa with any of the others?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think you can manually assign songs to stages, they're automatically selected depending on the combination of skin (SMB/SMB3/SMW/NSMB) and level type (above-ground, underground, underwater, castle, airship, ghost house). There are new tunes/arranges for the combos that didn't originally exist - SMW has a new arranged airship tune, SMB has new tunes for airship/ghost house, etc.

that is still exceptionally cool

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh that's very cool! You can go backwards in the smb1 tileset. I thought it would be like original smb1 where only forwards.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
this is the first time ive been excited for a day of tradgey.
i feel like nintendo is trying to help those damaged people heal by choosing the release date they have. games are good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
based on mk8, hyrules warriors, splatoon and smash bros I'd say the chance of good dlc of that nature is a high possibility. they know people are going to want to use other tilsets. just having four to start gives them time to work on others.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Digital download size is 1.4GB, and you can play with the gamepad, sideways Wiimote, Classic Controller or Pro Controller.

Exceptionally happy about this! Sideways wiimote is my favourite plat forming controller. Marios are best with it :>

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

i truly think this is a benefit. like lessons almost. get good with the basics then start on the advanced.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
super mario maker :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames posted:

super mario maker :D

this is what we will become. all of us.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Motto posted:

I cancelled my pre-order, no joke. I play games on my own time and don't want to wait for the full experience to be unlocked. People may see it as an overreaction but I have such little time to play games now with work and school I don't need anymore restrictions.

hahah whoever this guy is, is a real silly billy

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

AfroLine posted:

what if i were to come up to you and you wanted to play this one game cost 60 dollars and everything yeah but the catch was you couldn't play it to its fullest till a week and a half lafter but still give me all your money.

lmao

this is every game ever. you don't get to see the end right away. you play and spend time on it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
ok here is some cute:

please dont steal, these are mine.

(c) 1992

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

holy poo poo, nintendo owes this kid royalties for super mario galaxy 2

those are genuinely my ideas from way back when i saw lakitu in SMB1. i thought it would be cool to become a cloud.

plus I had suburban world for car mario:

you can see it planned down the bottom.

this would have been badass mine carting all the way.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

George Lazenby posted:

Haha oh man, wish I could play a mario game set in Silly Land. My fave land.

you would have met some of the following:

Sade posted:

I legit can't wait to see what you come up with in SMM. Do you have any room on your friends list?

i have two people on my wiiu friends list :> always room for more! i am VadeoGames on there.

Blaine the Train posted:

I appreciate the Kickle Cubicle enemies chilling in there with the Mario 2 enemy crew.

i adored kickle cubicle. it was the second game i ever completed right after SMB3. naturally i wanted to bring some of the guys into SMB4.

my one wish from any possible DLC is this:

I want to make actual overworlds!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
if nintendo had hired 11 year old me (look at that level list again: DONKEY KONG LAND. i called it in 92!) then i would have been involved in all the classics

having said that what the gently caress is boss of mini fortress even supposed to be i dont even recall what i was thinking.

PROTIP: landing on block family kills them, but landing on stand ons allows you to stand on them.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Want to fight that lion shyguy

i should have called it Shyon

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

elf help book posted:

Then I'm glad they didn't hire you.

ouch

Eonwe posted:

can you explain 'Boss of Mini Fortress' because :eyepop:

being trying to recall and i think at the time i had seen the advertising for terminator 2 and thought the metal cop was cool being able to make knives and spikes from his arms.

i dont like knives and spikes and thought hammers and trees were cooler. also rollerskates. so he could make stuff out of his body like that but they were skates, hammers or trees.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
actually clever goomba copied your moveset. he would run and try to jump on you instead. he could also pick up loose power ups.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fritzler posted:

Periscope Lakitu is clearly the raddest character there. I would play a game where he is the protagonist.

he was supposed to be mega important in water levels. like he'd put the scope down to find you then launch underwater missile spinies

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm a little sad at how many people have played the lackluster NSMB games and yet have never given the fan-made and goddamn fantastic Newer Mario a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu-tUNeUK8

It requires a relatively easy legal softmod to a wii (or wiiU) console.

The level design is every bit the equal of Nintendo's best, and the new word themes are inventive and fresh and totally in keeping with the series.

my eyes are out on stalks at this

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

blablablabla posted:

Sept 11 is going to be my favorite day of the year

I dont think ive ever been as excited for any game as this one

Yeah when I was like 10 (20 years ago) I used to make mario levels with that lovely weird green/white bar fax paper people used.

Think my first levels are going to be breakable block platforms over a huge pit while lakitu throws babombs at you.

amen friend, amen

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the ui for the game is so loving slick :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Limitations breed creativity

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

So does a larger tool set.

Well done for completely and utterly missing the point.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

You do realize that "doesn't understand" and "doesn't agree with" are different things, right? I understand exactly what you meant. I'm just saying that in this case I don't think it's the right opinion.

A game about content creation should give the players as many tools as possible. More tools for creating content is always better, unless adding more of them somehow makes the other stuff less good for some meta reason like developer resources being spread too thin or something. Why is more always better in this case? Because the content creation isn't what you're scored on. It's not the "game" part of the game. There are no stakes in this part. There is no challenge to overcome here. The "game" part of Super Mario Maker is the part where you're controlling Mario and trying to successfully reach the end of the level without dying.

Super Mario Maker actually isn't the game itself. Super Mario Maker is the set of tools level makers will use to create situations where the players work around the limitations imposed on them by the level maker.

What the gently caress

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fix posted:

Yeah, I don't know why you guys would be confused by that.

because it's wrong ands again misses the point. limitations breed creativity. there are a ton of games that are a testament to that and are clever and have trickery to get round limitations.

SMM has a poo poo ton of stuff but not everything. too much in the tools or options would bog the average person down and they'd be overwhelmed. currently things unlock slowly and there is enough for all styles for people to get to grips with. those who need more tools will get creative. those who dont have enough.

more is not always better. especially not in the case of a game like this whose primary audience is young people and adults having fun.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So how do creatively handle a boss level? Right now there's nothing in place just to stop you walking past them to the exit, that seems more like it's enforcing a single method than encouraging original level designs
I get where you're coming from, but none of the main things people are clamouring for are straws that would break the camel's back, they're core functionality that have been part of the series for decades

because we're not making full mario games. we're making levels.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Countblanc posted:

sorry that you think adding slopes is going to suddenly turn nintendo's countless michelangelos and warhols into mindless sheeple i guess.

lmao what the gently caress

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Actually you can make full 4 level worlds in SMB1 style, though even if you couldn't it'd still be cool to be able to create unavoidable enemy encounters. Whilst I can think of ways to possibly work around the current limitations (having to wait for a moving platform to arrive inside a boss room in order to leave it for instance) there's no reason you couldn't build a scenario like that anyway even if a win item existed, except then you'd have even more possibilities

you can, but the idea is you make levels and then each person plays the random 100 levels challenge which grabs stuff. itd be weird to have a boss level in 1-3 or something.

sure they could have boss level flags but again the way this game has been advertised is a level maker. not a full mario game maker. the big draw here is the random level challenges thing. that appears to be what they wanted to create for the public.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I don't see why they couldn't coexist. They have a manual level search by popularity/uploader/most played too so the system is obviously built for methods of play other than random disconnected levels through the 100 life challenge. I'm not sure why you're insistent the full priced retail release title needs to pidgeonhole itself so much, I look forward to building short SMB3-style levels for the X-life challenges and longer exploration based levels in the create-a-world mode

im not insistent on anything pidgeon holing anything. im saying what this game is apparently designed to be.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Saying "limitations breed creativity" is dumb as gently caress in this context when the entire point of the game is to be a big open sandbox for players to make Mario levels.

The point of content creator games like this isn't to "challenge" the content creator into being creative with a narrow set of creation tools, it's the opposite. You give the person access to as much poo poo as possible in order for them to be able to figure out how they can creatively impose their own limitations on themselves when designing. That's where the fun comes from with these games. "I'm going to make an interesting level using only bricks" "I'm going to make an interesting level that is fun to play but doesn't have any 'ground' you can stand on at all" or "I'm going to make a level that constantly keeps Mario invincible but must still be challenging and fun" and so on.

I'm having a hard time understanding what's so hard to grasp about this idea. Maybe it's that in that case, the amount of fun you can have would be proportionate to how creative you are, which is a lot to ask of a lot of people who play video games I know.

lmao

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

PandaCookies posted:

Come November anyway it won't matter because everyone is going to be talking about Fallout 4 non-stop for 24 hours a day =\

why would i bother with fallout4 when GOTY forever, Super Mario Maker, is in my wiiu being used?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A Steampunk Gent posted:

We agree on one thing :cheers:

:) i have all my original level designs and poo poo ready to begin making too! very excited for this game :>

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FPzero posted:

Super Mario World's graphics are a mixed bag and could have been made better if they used the palette rows to their fullest.

This is SMW's basic palette. Look at how much black space for unused colors there are! Since I've done SMW hacking in the past, I can explain a little bit about how Nintendo set these palettes up.

Starting from the top row, rows 0-7 are for foreground/background objects. SMW's graphics in general use only the left half of each palette row. Rows 0 and 1 are for backgrounds exclusively and can cycle colors based on what dropdown box settings you have selected on the right. Rows 2 and 3 are the same way except for the major foreground elements like grassland tiles, cave tiles and castle tiles. Rows 4-7 are generally used for the variety of special objects like pipes, coins, cement blocks, question blocks, etc, that are found throughout the levels.

Rows 8-F are for sprites. Row 8 is Mario's palette and anything that needs to be gold, tan or brown, like keys and Monty Moles. Row 9 is most castle enemies, bullet bills, basically anything gray. Rows A-D are for yellow, blue, red, and green sprites respectively, and make up the majority of the sprites you'll see in the game. The last two rows, E-F are special palette rows in that they can cycle depending on what enemies are needed. Dino Rhinos, Big Boo, and a few other special sprites use these cycling palettes. Bowser also uses a palette from here but due to how Mode 7 works, that palette row gets loaded into the foreground rows somewhere in Row 0-7 because he's actually a Layer 1 object.

Changing any colors in Rows 4 through D will permanently change those colors for every single level in the game. They are "Shared Palettes." By the way, those colors on the right half of rows 2, 3, 4, 9, A, and B are used exclusively for the berries that Yoshi can eat in those few levels. That's all they're used for.

When making custom levels, it's actually very easy to change palettes and not explode the rest of the game's colors. Clicking that checkbox that says "Enable Custom Palette" will make it so that level's palette can be modified freely without affecting the rest of the game's Shared Palette. For example:

Using a custom palette and expanding upon the original game's palette and graphical work, you can make things much more detailed and colored while still retaining a "Mario" feel.

thanks for this, it was really interesting. :cheers:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is Iwata's final present to us. Do not fear if your levels are sub-par as long as you are having fun. That's all he ever wanted his whole life. :)

this made me really sad but a good sad

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i just got a wii fit amiibo for this game :>

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
"not nearly enough bowsers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

Every one playing this game should watch one of the many videos out there where Miyamoto/other designers talk about why they made certain design decisions. Everything in the originals is done very deliberately, especially in the early levels where they introduce you to a game's new mechanics.

This is a great one on 1-1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGRJRUWafY

Thank you for this video it was absolutely awesome to watch!

• Locked thread