Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
In the taint-thread mindphlux just asked the following:

mindphlux posted:

alright, this never stops bothering me irl. I think I've asked this question in here before several years back, but don't think I ever got a satisfactory answer

if you're heating a liquid at a rolling boil in a pot with moderately high walls, will the liquid evaporate less quickly than if you have it heated to just below the boil point?

I know the liquid itself won't evaporate any less quickly, but I mean in a less technical sense of evaporation - like taking into consideration condensation on the pot walls, airflow, et cetera.

I ask because when I have something going at full boil, I see the liquid's vapors do almost like a curling movement from the outside of the pot back down and in towards the center of the pot - almost like some strange force of convection is sucking the vapor right back towards the water surface.

If I turn down the heat so the liquid isn't boiling so hard, the vapor from the pot just rises straight up like you'd expect.

someone smarter than me explain plz :( #paging subG
I decided that this was a worthy cause to invest some time in, and based on that I decided to write the following answer:

Dear mindphlux,
As I am not smarter than you with regard to :science: I decided to do an empiric test instead.

So I decided to use my stove for the test - the stove is a SMEG induction stove - the plate I am using is pumping out 3,5kw - so it is pretty quick when it is at highest (boosted) setting.

I decided to use this pot, which is 2,5l 7ply plate iron pot with some sort of core - it really doesn't matter, because I used it for both runs.

The pot then got weighed without water

The reason why I chose to go by weight, rather than volume was that weight is more precise, and eliminates my need to ensure the same temperature of the water.

After this I added water - 400 grams of it, which is 4dl or 0,4l by volume - or a quarterpounder and a tiddlewink over a who-gives-a-gently caress in american terms.

Here's a water action shot

After having admired my work - I lidded my pot, to ensure that I would get the same starting point for my later measures - I wanted to keep as much steam in the pot as possible during the initial warm up, such that I didn't have to be too carefull about timing for the warm-up

I then let loose the unholy 3.5kw, on full boost, which gave me a time until boil of around 20sec (not that it is relevant - this is just bragging).

I spend the 20 seconds to set my watch to two minutes

When the water was boiling I removed the lid of the pot, and started the countdown - here you see a picture of water boiling - hard.. it is really boiling like well.. water.. boiling.. like as if it was around a hundred degrees, and then it started to bubble - well.. you get the picture - it was boiling.

After the two minutes was up I shut off the stove (here induction is your friend), and slammed the lid down to hold in all unholy vapours, then setting the watch to 5 minutes to ensure that I had a cool down period, such that it wouldn't change weight while being weighed.

(here the watch says 4:48, this is because I used 12 seconds on slamming lids down and pressing start - incidentally 12 seconds is almost enough to boil 400 grams of water if you have a decent stove, it is just 8 seconds short of a good boil - I don't know how it is with indecent stoves, but it would likely be more than 20 seconds, which is enough if your stove is pretty ok).

After having waited the allotted 5 minutes - I took off the lid - shook off as much as I could into the pot (of the condensation - this is pre-shake, but post initial dribble)

Then I weighed the pot with water

As can be seen the weight now is 1333 grams - which is the same as 4 fieldstones, a horseshoe and an ant-pecker in american measures.

After that I dried off everything (lid and pot and my eyes) and ensured that it weighed the same as before (heat didn't change the weight of the pot, and no dirty residue from the water was left either - so it weighed in at 1510 again with the added 400g of water.

I have now dropped some of the process shots, because the process is pretty much the same as before, except that now I would turn down the heat to 6 (slow boil) when removing the lid.

Here's a picture of my stove saying '6'

Look - water boiling, but slowly, like not moving as fast as fast boiling water - but still looking like water, that is kinda boiling.

I then repeated the process from before - slamming down the lid, waiting for five minutes while I whistled a ditty, and then I weighed it, in the same manner as before.

The result was as follows

So to summarize there was quite a difference - a fast boil reduced the water down to 1333g, while a slow boil reduced it down to 1441g - that is a difference of 108g.

So empirically a rolling boil is more efficient (perhaps not when you take power consumption into account), however, tasting the water revealed that a slow boil was better at extracting volatile essences from the medium.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity

Love from your pal

Happy Hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Water was not distilled and thus subject to fluoridation, providing inexact results.

1/5.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Happy Hat? More like Happy Flat Boardy Thing Also With Hanging Stringy Thing Hat! :science:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
happy hat you are my favorite poster

thank you from the depths of my heart for your thorough exploration of amalgymated thermodynamics on my behalf

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
It was fun, because I actually had the same expectation that you did.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

It was fun, because I actually had the same expectation that you did.

well gently caress, you're just going after my heartstrings now

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Nice work, Happy Hat. That's really interesting research.

Thanks for providing the American conversions. I would have been completely lost without them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

contrapants posted:

Thanks for providing the American conversions. I would have been completely lost without them.

Agreed, although I think he may have been off by an ant-pecker or two on the second run.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
"[i]ndecent stove" describes my 20's so accurately it's like you were there, man.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
bumping this because <3 awesome happy hat effort thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

bumping this because <3 awesome happy hat effort thread

ya mostly this