Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Transmetropolitan posted:

(which is a shame because I barely scratched the surface of 2070)

As someone with 1,360 hours played in 2070, I can tell you that there's a whole lot of rabbit hole that you might well be better for not having personally explored. On the other hand, if you really really like the idea of creating dozens of interdependent trade routes in order to feed vital goods into an absurd central population, then have I got a game for you!

Really my major question about 2205 is what actually will there be to do, if seamless global resource shifting is a feature? Like, the only reason ever to maintain a military force at all is in order to protect your shipping from random aggression (which you can buy off indefinitely if you're productive enough), because 75-90% of required goods need to be made outside the city islands and conveyed to them. The only bar to expansion is production of sufficient bricks/tools/etc and then being able to convey them in a timely fashion to new settlements without disrupting the flow of consumer goods. I feel very unsure about the Logistics Pipeline Tycoon aspects of 2205 based on what we've already heard, though I want so much for this not to be an on-launch fiasco like it's probably going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Jeez, this interface is so slick-looking I barely recognised it as an Anno game.

edit: holy poo poo you can just click and drag to relocate your buildings instead of demolishing them, GOTY

Don't stop I'm almost there

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Lorini posted:

Don't forget, you can move everything where you might want it, best thing ever in an Anno game.

Hmmmm. How am I going to fit these houses I need to move for a security department...

Oh, okay, just whip the entire custom-interlocking structure of the fruit/sunflower/rice farms off to an empty stretch of road on another island. Plenty of space now! :gizz:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Asciana posted:

So has anyone worked out the most efficient layouts for the production buildings yet? I hate having one or two squares left unused in my factory areas.

You can, at any time, relocate any factory and then move its extra components around at will, so snaky-rear end poo poo jury-rigged to fill up as much of an odd corner as possible can be slapped into the open and straightened out into a more-regular layout at any time.

That said, generally if I've got a very large, open area that I've set aside for production I go with a Long Narrow Line setup, and as space starts to run short I play around with laying things out more efficiently. Vitamin Drink factories are good for filling up little remainder areas with their 2x2 juice presses, the expansions for flax plantations are tiny and thus are good for similar usage.

Also holy poo poo do these people wear the gently caress out of clothes. All of my luxury investor towers are always surrounded by massive silicon mines, because apparently investors wear their chip-filled smart clothes once and then throw them away.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Granted, an unreal amount of electricity comes out. I don't think I have a single powerplant remaining in the temperate zone, and my Arctic zones each have a single Thermal generator around which most of the first housing was built. I've been playing this save on and off for awhile, whittling away at the various sector projects. Corp level 87, 767k population. Each of the Temperate sectors has large city areas with some Operators but mostly Executives (I still think of these as "Engineers" somehow) and Investors, as well as other limited-service housing areas I think of as the "Operator Zoo" and "Worker Slum."

I'm spending a little over eighty-three grand on maintaining internal trade routes and producing everything with the exception of wine and beef myself, for those I pay a little over thirty-two grand to maintain a small surplus in Cape Ambar, my starting sector and where all Luxury Meal production takes place. I've finished all but the Lunar refugee sector project and the "totally-safe-iceberg-demolition" project, which I'm bouncing back and forth between now. I definitely find that I'm being limited in Lunar development by supplies of Magnetite, but not hamstrung. Generally speaking I can flip through moon sectors to find a quest that has it as a reward, buy whatever Lunar Refugee Insurgency Incorporated has up for sale, and click on the mines in the triple-crater map to get what I need taken care of, but without too much surplus. Military level 6, so I haven't needed to do more than a few combat missions in order to chase upgrade resources.

I really like to play this game, to the point that I feel like there's something wrong inside of me. After I break 1 million population and complete these two projects, I may even start an additional hard corp (this is, uh, my third) and see what happens when one imports everything and just paves a whole sector in grid hell. Send help.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah, I hope that beyond Tundra and Orbital they do an underwater and at least a couple of others. Arid/equatorial dry zone could be made to work (maybe with, like, a sci-fi tumbleweed western aesthetic?), maybe a biome similar to the Arctic and its guardian faction where a group is using :science: to forcibly regrow jungles in order to get access to :techno:-resources for consumer goods. Unless they're just going to completely drop the game, I'm sure someone's got a list of ideas tucked away. Also looking forward to launching goods directly from the bottom of the ocean into orbit!

I really hate hoping things about video games, though. Curse my frail vulnerability to human sensations!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 27, 2015

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah, even in a minimal-overbuild, 100%-domestic-production run up to completing the fusion program you wind up with enough raw import capacity to sustain the other two temperate sectors. I've never tried a full-on import sector but I don't see why it wouldn't work...I've gotten multiple corps to the point where they were running 3+ fusion reactors and had shut down all Earthside energy production (except Arctic generators absolutely required for heat reasons) and never actually maxed out endgame trade routes but I also tend to produce 'organic' 'food,' water, :science:juice, and green drugs for myself since they're relatively easy to fit together.

Still can't stop playing the game. It's not all the time, but my regular work schedule gives me four days off per week and I tend to devote at least half my veg-out free time on one of those days to whatever it is I'm pursuing next. Basically random maps would make this perfect; I don't even care if I can't have bridge sites or sector projects.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah ever since market prices started actually fluctuating it hasn't been fully reliable. I've had a corp sign in 20k in the black and then, 20 minutes later when I re-upped our luxury food contract without looking at the price, start making GBS threads cash to the tune of like 70k. There followed much grumbling and building of cattle pastures.

Basically everything is pretty cool except for some reason my inventory UI is showing me positive or negative numbers instead of numbers and a color-coded arrow. It's less intuitive, at least for me, to read at a glance now. I'll also say that the new sector is like 50% a giant swathe of ocean, and there aren't any bridges or anything on it which I felt was kind of an oversight.

On the other hand, bridge sites eat Construct-O-Bots as well as Superalloys, and cost 100-200 Iridium (depending on the site) to construct once their project is complete. Failing to carry numbers correctly did leave me stuck partway through whatever the map with the ornamental challenge is called, so keep an eye out for that. I will say that, with three well-populated Temperate sectors and a fourth that I've purchased but never loaded into, I feel like I'm just loving swimming in space. Coastal sites were starting to get constrained, but I managed to pull together enough Magnetite to put seven reactors on the moon and upgrade everyone's spaceport, so it was just a matter of making sure I wasn't capping out my Graphene when I took all of they tidal plants down.

With the extra sector (and particularly given how absolutely loving massive it is), it becomes pretty apparent how much space Arctic production chains take up. I think my Quantum Compute industry, when I quit out a few minutes ago had taken up about a third of buildable area on the climate stabilizer project map, between the production chain and the tents interspersed with them. Not sure if I'll be able to max out four sectors with only a single-sector source of Quantum Computers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

On the whole, I enjoyed the game a lot but I'm leery about trying other, less user-friendly, games in the series.

I'm not sure if I could go back to the version of the goods supply system where one had to have a spreadsheet in order to determine the number of farms and factories required to supply their population. That was probably my #1 problem with the Anno series; games about supply chain management ought to have just a little bit more information about my supply chains available to me.

Which is not to say that I didn't spend 1,380 hours playing Anno 2070, and love the gently caress out of it! Just that I can't imagine wanting to back to operating in the dark like that. The static maps are a little bit of a bummer, but I understand why they wound up going with that approach, all of the maps are gorgeous as gently caress, the bridges are even more so, I am an incredible fan of the multiple biomes and also of gradually covering the entirety of the available world space with a grid hell of skyscrapers surrounded by continental-scale manufacturing wastelands. How can an adult human being possibly experience this much enthusiasm about an activity which essentially amounts to building pretend cities out of blocks?!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Really this game is a great technical success, I have enjoyed the gently caress out of it and played lots of corps to level 60+, a couple past a million employee-citizen-units. Colonizing the moon and watching as the settlement grows to this day gives me nerd glee.

But there's definitely something that's not quite on. I personally don't mind the static maps too much, probably due to whatever it is about me that makes me just adore covering digital land with grid hells, I greatly loving appreciate the game showing me the logistics data I actually want instead of requiring me to build a spreadsheet in order to determine the number and type of factories and farms at current productivity levels I need to slap down, the tundra is almost as cool as building a giant moon city with a moon hotel for sketchy used car salesmen...but there's something missing, or maybe everything just doesn't quite come together? I don't know, but I'll probably start another corp to check out the new stuff this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I don't find Tundra or Temperate bad, but holy poo poo my level of nerd glee over running a town on the moon or in the arctic can't be understated. I strongly wish that they'd taken a couple of different directions with this game, but I can't be dissatisfied with (most of) the finished product.

And you can count me as one of the deviants who loves the new inventory system, specifically the part where we're just given the information which was always what we really needed to know but had to infer or calculate, the production to consumption balance. I would definitely have preferred to manage shipments between islands in addition to shipments between sectors but I really don't have the normal generic nerd rage over things changing towards this game that I've felt towards other things.

• Locked thread