Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kajeesus posted:

Of the last several years of a mass shooting per day, has the attacker ever been stopped by a concealed carry civilian?

No, thanks to liberal gun-free zones

yes I know it's a hoax image

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spacetoaster posted:

You think there's a link between dogs and terrorists?

British police get shot (and killed!) all the time. But not by terrorists, so it don't count.

Well since Trump was specifically talking about being afraid of radical Islamic terrorists, no it doesn't.
Also, 4 London police shot and killed in the last 10 years doesn't count as "all the time."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerebral Bore posted:

The takeaway here is that the question never was "why is space exploration getting so much money", it's "if the government can put a man on the moon, why can't it feed the poor?" Saying that we can do both is a real copout, because one of these things is actually getting money and more importantly attention, but as for the other, well:

So the question becomes, why should any of these people give two shits about your fancy gizmos when they can't even put food on the table? You gotta offer them something in return, and so far US society has failed on that front.

Except the government spends many times more on welfare, medicare, medicaid, social security, and other anti-poverty programs than on NASA so it's not like eliminating space exploration and satellite launches will cure poverty.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerebral Bore posted:

And as I mentioned, that's not the question here. Nobody I know of was or is saying that you should somehow tranfer NASA:s budget to Social Security, they were asking why the government couldn't find the will to end poverty and discrimination if they could find the will to do all sorts of other stuff, such as the space program. Now, this all riles up nerds because they think it's an attack on their beloved flashy science stuff, but maybe people should take a step back and think about what's actually being said here.

In any case, happy holidays y'all. Have a carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65C367hCVI

Or maybe because launching a satellite into orbit is a physics problem with a universally accepted solution and solving poverty and discrimination is a massively complex social and cultural problem without an accepted solution?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elias_Maluco posted:

I don't know if it's more or less effective than anything, but I live in a very violent city where armed robberies and such are a common occurrence and I understand the feeling of wanting to have any means of personal defense.

Not so long ago a dentist was tortured and then burned alive during a robbery at her clinic. I can't blame someone wanting to have a gun to feel safer against this kind of horror and I wouldn't call that cowardice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2315092/Dentist-dies-robbers-douse-petrol-set-alight-practice.html

That's not really relevant to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution or any other American gun issues.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I see Huckabee is going for the critical "men with no necks" vote.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

He's not wrong.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h50xcQh8vA

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fateo McMurray posted:

Looks like he meant to say that white people don't know what it's like to be poor black people that live in ghettos. Which is true. Misspoke a little but if you're not a troglodyte looking for something to be outraged about no matter what was really meant, it's what you latch on to.

It isn't obvious that he meant to say that. A long standing attack has been that Sanders cannot mentally separate race and class issues, that he is incapable of addressing racism separate from poverty, and that all his solutions to racial problems are "take down the big banks and solve income inequality." This quote supports that line of attack, reinforcing the notion that to Sanders, black problems = being poor.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ron Jeremy posted:

Must have been Genesis 6:6

I'm going to have to remember this one to use later on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

System Metternich posted:

Capitalism and industrialism are respnsible for the (re-)desertification of the Sahara ~6,000 years ago? Learn something new every day!

It's not, of course.

The Sahel, on the other hand...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

He's not wrong.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Guavanaut posted:

Feed the world but also give them contraception and antinatalist propaganda.

Natalist propaganda! Those People need to stop breeding like rabbits, it's ruining the world! :argh:

If only those people would learn to use birth control there could be enough food for everyone!

If only those people would learn to use birth control we could avoid an energy crisis!

If only those people would learn to use birth control global warming could be stopped!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MizPiz posted:

LOL at people saying there isn't enough food when we basically throw away half the global supply each year.

Natalist propaganda!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

whitey delenda est posted:

this was a pretty striking shot from (yet another) scary NYT Mag article about Trump supporters

kid can't be more than 12 year old

The only age when it's reasonable to view Trump's ideas as intelligent.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

univbee posted:

Please refer to him by his proper name,

Please stop deadnaming.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Guavanaut posted:

Even the word "pantsuit" is kinda dumb. I wonder what they're all wearing with their suits if they're not specifying them as "pantsuits".

Skirt suits:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spacetoaster posted:

lol. hate groups are actually good you guys.

Please tell me more about your racist views.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

the trump tutelage posted:

laffo

Only the dead have seen the end of oppression.

The smile and hearts around the baby bump for "pro choice" is super lol.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It takes how many seconds to Google "Mike Brown Sr." ?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

There is no threat put in there, no call to arms.

Uh huh.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Snowman Crossing posted:

Breastfeeding is supposed to be sexy :mad:

That woman is going to get liquid poo poo all over her hands.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zeroisanumber posted:

Killed for carrying a licensed weapon while driving a car with a taillight out in a serially felonious way.

Killed for feloniously carrying a toy gun in the toy gun section of a store in an open-carry state.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ron Jeremy posted:

Optics? What are optics?

quote:

‘What women problem?’
That was the slogan on flyers at the Women Vote Trump fringe event at the Republican National Convention. And this was the scene a few minutes after the advertised start time. None of the people sitting down in this picture are Trump supporters. They’re all with the media.
By the time the event actually kicked off—half an hour late when it became clear that no, nobody else was showing up—there were, to my count, thirty-five people in the room. That included the six speakers, the organizers, volunteers and press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:allears:

I've missed you, Moustache of Understanding

• Locked thread