Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Wade Wilson posted:

Saw this making the rounds in response to all of the "The Civil War wasn't about Slavery" responses to stories about the shooting being motivated by racism (because that makes sense somehow).

Back in 2011, Ta-Nehisi Coates wrote a series of great essays on the Civil War. Two books mentioned a lot in those essays were This Mighty Scourge by James McPherson, and The Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant. In my mind, these two books settle the issue dispositively.

Grant, from the conclusion of his Memoirs:

quote:

The cause of the great War of the Rebellion against the United Status will have to be attributed to slavery. For some years before the war began it was a trite saying among some politicians that "A state half slave and half free cannot exist." All must become slave or all free, or the state will go down. I took no part myself in any such view of the case at the time, but since the war is over, reviewing the whole question, I have come to the conclusion that the saying is quite true.

Slavery was an institution that required unusual guarantees for its security wherever it existed; and in a country like ours where the larger portion of it was free territory inhabited by an intelligent and well-to-do population, the people would naturally have but little sympathy with demands upon them for its protection. Hence the people of the South were dependent upon keeping control of the general government to secure the perpetuation of their favorite institution. They were enabled to maintain this control long after the States where slavery existed had ceased to have the controlling power, through the assistance they received from odd men here and there throughout the Northern States. They saw their power waning, and this led them to encroach upon the prerogatives and independence of the Northern States by enacting such laws as the Fugitive Slave Law. By this law every Northern man was obliged, when properly summoned, to turn out and help apprehend the runaway slave of a Southern man. Northern marshals became slave-catchers, and Northern courts had to contribute to the support and protection of the institution.

This was a degradation which the North would not permit any longer than until they could get the power to expunge such laws from the statute books. Prior to the time of these encroachments the great majority of the people of the North had no particular quarrel with slavery, so long as they were not forced to have it themselves. But they were not willing to play the role of police for the South in the protection of this particular institution.
A predominant neo-confederate myth is that the North, working through the federal government, wielded a bold and opprobrious power over the South. The opposite is true.

McPherson, from the first essay in This Mighty Scourge:

quote:

Senator Jefferson Davis, who later insisted that the Confederacy fought for the principle of state sovereignty, voted with enthusiasm for the Fugitive Slave Law. When Northern legislatures invoked their states' rights against this federal law, the Supreme Court with its majority of Southern justices reaffirmed the supremacy of national law to protect slavery (Ableman vs. Booth, 1859). Many observers in the 1850s would have predicted that if a rebellion in the name of state's rights were to erupt, it would be the North that would rebel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

quote:

Chomsky:

As for guns being the way to respond to this, that's outlandish. First of all, this is not a weak Third World country. If people have pistols, the government has tanks. If people get tanks, the government has atomic weapons. There's no way to deal with these issues by violent force, even if you think that that's morally legitimate.

Guns in the hands of American citizens are not going to make the country more benign. They're going to make it more brutal, ruthless and destructive. So while one can recognize the motivation that lies behind some of the opposition to gun control, I think it's sadly misguided.
This discussion is always asinine because when something as complex as a society breaks, it tends to break in ways we can't predict. However, I think Chomsky's being unimaginative.

Chomsky is of course familiar with examples of successful insurgencies- I presume by his pistol-tank-nuke remark he means to emphasize how force multipliers separate the US from "weak Third World countries."

Of course, those force multipliers are tuned for symmetrical warfare, and rely on long, complex logistic chains, almost certainly disrupted in the event of a domestic uprising. The success or failure of such an uprising can't be measured in conventional terms (hoisting the red and black flag over the Whitehouse). Instead, like every other successful insurgency, it would aim to weaken the actual or perceived authority of the state and extract concessions from it (I wish there was a pithy way to sum up how violent conflict is sometimes a continuation of political struggles).

Now, consider the possibility that your violent revolution provokes a nuclear response- contrary to how Chomsky understands it, this doesn't demonstrate the hopelessness of violent struggle- it means your insurgency has already been massively successful in coercing the state.

I also find it interesting how he denigrates brutality, ruthlessness and destruction, as though history didn't bare those out as essential to successful revolutions.

I think a more topical question for Chomsky would be: should leftists and minorities arm themselves against reactionaries, either individually or en masse, or should they rely on the largesse of the state.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

quote:

Sabina, 21, her father lieutenant colonel Sergey "Poet", 50, and her mother Vera, 47. At the HQ of the 1st Slavik Brigade. Sergey started to fight for independence in April in #Slavyansk, his wife joined him in July, and daughter took the oath in September after she finished college as a professional sport shooter.

edit:

the US is on the right side of history.

Argentina is fascinating- I wonder if this has to do with the Argentinos blancos cultural cringe

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 4, 2015

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

I only know of Laibach because youtube recommended "Tanz mit Laibach" to me while I was researching Von Thronstahl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV9bAniUna0

"Industrial" music...

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Soviet agitrop is often beautiful.

Years ago, a poster named "massolit" put together a big collection of soviet posters in a torrent file- lots of obscure, high-res ones from every era. At some point over the years I lost the files, except a select few I was using for a project. Here's some:

I found a direct link to it in an old archived LF thread, but unfortunately the torrent tracker it was on is now some malware site.

I would love it if someone could upload it again- there were a lot of really gorgeous images, especially the art which celebrated the Soviet space program.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

What he made looks similar to a home made bomb though and it's disingenuous the way people are playing it off like it doesn't.

You're assuming that the teachers and police have the same familiarity with IEDs as you or I do, and therefore knew that IEDs can resemble innocuous amateur electronics (that is, before you actually examine them closely.) Maybe they did know.

But the fact that these things do resemble amateur electronics would suggest to me that you don't frog-walk the kid in a NASA shirt out the school unless you've got some compounding evidence to think he's dangerous, or that he was trying to pass off his device as something dangerous. Was there any?

What impresses me most is that the kid's case kept getting kicked up the chain (teacher, administrator, police) and no one gave the kid the benefit of the doubt- nobody's humanity kicked in, made them laugh at the situation, and sent the kid home. It's like a conservative's caricature of overweening bureaucracy.

Jim Breuer's bomb threat story:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24obmm_jim-breuer-sears-bomb-threat_fun

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Olivia Wilde was born Olivia Cockburn. Andrew is her father, and Patrick and Alexander Cockburn are her uncles.

This is extremely LF.

quote:

“I plan to read everything my family has written,” Wilde says. “It’d take me a year. I’d read all of Alexander Cockburn [her firebrand journalist uncle], all of Claud Cockburn [her Irish grandfather]. My uncle Patrick Cockburn just came out with a great book about Iraq called The Occupation.” She grins. “And then they have to watch every episode of The O.C.”

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Armyman25 posted:

So, as of October 1 the US Army will no longer wear the green "Class A" dress uniform, in favor of the dress blue uniform. This marks the end of a 61 year era.

What do you think of the change? And perhaps more importantly, are there any changes to the mess uniform in the offing?

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

That's why a lot of European countries (including France), keep a separate militarised police force alongside regular law-enforcement. The Gendarmerie/Carabinieri/Guardia Civil/etc provide high visibility security in busy areas as well as riot control, disaster management and a bunch of other things where having a centralised command structure comes in handy, not just for storming hostage situations.

This is the Spanish Guardia Civil. The symbol they use (the bundle of sticks with the axes) is called the Fascio which is the etymological root of the word 'fascism'.

Carabinieri are kept around in part because in Italy it is important that there be enough police to watch all the other police. This is true of Mexico as well.

Roma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Zbig is dead

"As he recounted it to me, Brzezinski was awakened at three in the morning by [military assistant William] Odom, who told him that some 250 Soviet missiles had been launched against the United States. Brzezinski knew that the President's decision time to order retaliation was from three to seven minutes. Thus he told Odom he would stand by for a further call to confirm Soviet launch and the intended targets before calling the President. Brzezinski was convinced we had to hit back and told Odom to confirm that the Strategic Air Command was launching its planes. When Odom called back, he reported that 2,200 missiles had been launched- it was an all-out attack. One minute before Brzezinski intended to call the President, Odom called a third time to say that other warning systems were not reporting Soviet launches. Sitting alone in the middle of the night, Brzezinski had not awakened his wife, reckoning that everyone would be dead in half an hour. It had been a false alarm. Someone had mistakenly put military exercise tapes into the computer system." -- Robert M. Gates. From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How they Won the Cold War (New York: Simon & Shuster, 1996)

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/nukevault/ebb371/

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 27, 2017

• Locked thread