Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

https://instagram.com/p/4x6W1EqljL/

Hubis
May 18, 2003

North Korea allows 'first foreign band to perform'

This is so perfect :allears:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Fluo posted:

British Newspapers.jpg

American News.tweet

drat Millennials living frugally out of necessity and/or a difference in life goals from previous generations! How dare you fail to chain yourself to life-long debt for dubious material gains -- don't you know that you're damaging the otherwise meteoric rise in value that the Boomer generation has seen in their property holdings?!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

In other news, legendary Slovenian industrial band Laibach played a concert in the DPRK last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3fYbSfDSmU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Volcott posted:

When white people move away it's demonized as white flight. When white people move back it's demonized as gentrification.

Seriously. First they complain about the wealthy and empowered plurality fleeing urban areas because they'd be forced to deal with minorities then systematically depriving them of funding for public education and municipal services while at the same time pushing urban policies that favored people living in the surrounding suburban enclaves and businesses owned by them rather than the actual remaining residents of the municipalities who can really only afford to remain there because it's the only affordable housing within public transport distance from centers of employment.

NOW they start complaining that a somewhat different (but still affluent and empowered) demographic is pushing a reversal of those geo-cultural trends and returning to urban areas that the remaining population spent the last 50 years or so reasserting political self-determinism over (if even that) and inviting a rapid trend of replacing imperfect but generally serviceable neighborhoods with suburban imports that are generally unaffordable or otherwise socio-economically unusable by the current inhabitants who have no real power to affect the market trends because of their economic status!

It's almost as if two different rapid demographic shifts by the majority stakeholders in government and wealth in society can BOTH have huge impacts on disenfranchised minorities!

Volcott posted:

"There's literally nothing wrong with being white." - Adolf Hitler probably

White Male Hero-Worship

+

Mindless consumerism

=

by

Hubis
May 18, 2003

I know you tagged it :nms: but please edit it and put a description of what someone's about to watch first.

(it's these people getting murdered)

Hubis fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 26, 2015

Hubis
May 18, 2003

itskage posted:

I agree with you and I'd rather spend resources on better things, but it still sucks to see things waste away. Even if it was a machine of war.

Restore it to pristine condition. Send it to the Mediterranean to ferry refugees to western Europe. Win/Win!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

Boy I wonder if one of those guys standing in line is a welder! It's almost like not funding domestic stuff is related to lots of people being unemployed.

Oh well, maybe they can just turn that boat into a condominium for rich people.

The grain pier that was the focus of Season 2 from the Wire turned into a loving condo.

Paying those hypothetical welders to cut the ship up and scuttle it in the middle of the bay would be just as economically beneficial (if not moreso) so that doesn't really seem like an argument.

Nckdictator posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to only care about one thing at a time. That's pretty much the same argument as "Why should we care about women earning less then men in the workplace, there are women being stoned to death in Saudi Arabia?"

Historical preservation is a huge deal.

The argument is that the two things are directly comparable because they can both be translated to the same basis (cash to spend on programs). Of course, they're actually incomparable because they don't really draw from the same cash base given that they have different political accessibility: every dollar for restoring a historical landmark comes at a different political cost than every dollar for a work, education, body-camera, whatever program. Spending money on one doesn't necessarily take money from the other.

So you can have relative priorities while not completely discounting as an error anything which advances something which isn't the top priority.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

I don't see how this disputes my argument that there's a ton of work that needs to be done and a ton of people out of work willing to do it.

Also I am not sure how you figure sinking a ship instead of restoring it and using it as a museum would be better for the economy.

Eh, I was mostly using it as a chance to make a glib joke about the Broken Window Fallacy (hence the image of Dr. Krugman). You can mostly disregard.

You're absolutely right that, in a slump featuring under-utilized labor, domestic programs of any sort would be economically beneficial. Paying people to bury gold in the ground would be more valuable than just saving that gold in a bank somewhere, for example. Given that historical restoration has non-economic benefits and political appeal that makes it more likely to be enacted it is inherently convenient and so would be a good idea.

However, that's not to say that it would be just as economically stimulative as actual public works programs, like (say) paying those welders/masons/whatever to rebuild some of the crumbling and under-funded infrastructure that's rotting out under the country. Spending which both employs the under-employed and adds 'velocity' to the monetary base AND which provides net economic benefit for the future is always going to be preferable; the problem is simply that such programs are often infeasible because of partisan/class politics, so the best you can do is spend money on "useless" things like the military, national parks, historic restoration, etc.

Of course this kind of argument leads neo-liberal types to argue that Keynesian economics is wrong because it dictates things like natural disasters are good for the economy. Krugman got a lot of flak for arguing that World War 2 helped end the Great Depression because it forced a bunch of stimulative spending. Those people are generally either arguing in bad faith or just not understanding the point (that something is better than nothing, but that doesn't mean we should go out breaking windows just so people have to fix them).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

The US Military would not be used to put down striking workers in 21st century america

They would not be needed.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Exclamation Marx posted:

Don't start this gun control poo poo

The D&D Pics Thread will never be safe until more people realize the need for stronger Post Control

Hubis
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31NWuJtdJlQ

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Will we ever have another President who trolls as hard as Obama?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

What he made looks similar to a home made bomb though and it's disingenuous the way people are playing it off like it doesn't.

this is stupid because those are detonators not bombs. Also, given that you can put those things inside pretty much anything and so anything could look like a bomb, it basically becomes a judgment call based on ignorance and, despite your protests, posing great potential for profiling

iawtp

Hubis
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS0GgkE0Y7c

Beastie posted:

I'm no ordinance expert but I know that circuit boards are not inherently dangerous. I assume that any police department in our post 9/11 world has put their officers through a basic explosive identification PowerPoint and should know better. This is a hosed up situation.

hahaha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11agOrR4wvk

Hubis
May 18, 2003

You know, given that Stand Your Ground laws only require the shooter to believe that he is in mortal danger in order to justify the use of lethal force, I wonder if the English teacher could have just shot the kid first -- just to be safe. After all, he had something that "looked like a bomb".

Armyman25 posted:

This is the part I have issue with. You keep purporting that what he brought to school doesn't look in any way similar to a bomb, when it did.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/index.html

The relevant part here is that the teacher thought it looked like a bomb. Not that it was a bomb, but that it looked like one.

Under the school's rules you're not allowed to something that looks like a bomb to class. What he brought did look like a bomb in the teacher's opinion, and based on what he brought and what actual bombs look like, I agree that it does look like a bomb.

So, what would you have done if you were this English Teacher / Principal? How does this play out in your head, exactly.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Armyman25 posted:

If I was the teacher I would have confiscated it and taken it to the office.

If I was the principal I would have had a sit down with the kid and then the parents and explained why it's not a good idea to bring things that could be mistaken for a bomb to school. I don't know the exact guidelines of the district in question, so I don't know how much leeway the staff has in dealing with these things.

Sure, ok.

I, being technically competent, would have responded exactly like his tech teacher ("That's cool, but probably keep that put away because it might get you in trouble"). Were I not technically competent (like the english teacher/principal) I probably would have done as you suggested as well. It seems like we're both on the same page however, that there's a big difference between "someone could mistake it for a bomb" (which might include almost anything, really, though some things more than others) and "this is intended to look like a bomb" and insisting that the student intended it as such despite any reasonable explanations in the result.

Meanwhile,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ggdk-XpoY4

Hubis
May 18, 2003

https://vine.co/v/eIzIT2eYLH5

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Sure, but if people didn't have guns then those preschoolers would have all just been stabbed with knives instead.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

If only that civilian charity medical facility had been armed... perhaps this tragedy could have been avoided

Hubis
May 18, 2003

:munch:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Well this was ghoulish and cringeworthy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYPtTcoas40

Stay classy, StopHillaryPAC.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

The top 3 are all on-point, though

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

A mangling of quite an old quote.

Bob le Moche posted:

sorry but capitalism destroys itself given enough time so you gotta pick one or the other

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Noone tell them that the basic position of "defense minister" around the world is almost always inhabited by someone who has demonstrated experience as a high level bureaucrat rather than a member of the military, and that yes even Glorious Putin-sama's :fap: appointee to the position also qualifies.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Without knowing all the laws about using military as police in the UK, that sounds like a terrible idea. It would require special military units on alert at all times trained in domestic law with special ROE who know the area well via regular patrols without so much combat gear who know and talk to local law enforcement and-- waitaminute I just described police with body armor and rifles who respond to special situations.

Militarization of the police is a problem but the answer isn't to literally turn the police into military.

I don't know, I think it depends a lot on your governmental stucture. A pretty strict separation of concerns between patrol/enforcement/investigation and aggressive intervention seems pretty reasonable. We only really creeped back in the US as a result of increasingly violent 'domestic' crime.

I mean, this seems fairly relevant:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Look, I know pro-gun advocates are used to shooting at straw men, but someone should really tell them it's not a good argument strategy

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Cute, but total bullshit

... Meanwhile...

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Poe's Law in action -- sincerely can't tell if this is sincere or a troll. This is LITERALLY what this woman is saying

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Hubis
May 18, 2003

huskarl_marx posted:

one of the most disturbing things about the bundy standoff is how gleefully i've seen supposed allies of liberation call for the blood of these men, men who've been pushed to the edge by the same uncaring system that's created the thug youth of the urban city and the daesh jihadist of the mideast

Apparatchik spotted!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

... meanwhile...

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Here, have some Not Guns

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

The family that owns the Chicago Cubs and TD Ameritrade released this Bernie attack ad which tries to show a rich couple in front of a mansion and 3 sports cars sympathetically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XsWkwakVlA

Tax hikes on Wall Street and the super wealthy :qq:

I legitimately wonder if this "attack" ad is an attempt to wedge the Democratic base by intentionally making Sanders appeal to the Left relative to Clinton.

I mean, they refer to the wealthy as "super rich" and use positive uplifting imagery and language to talk about what he's aiming to do, and not one of the shots of the ad's "target" has the contrast jacked up -- hell, they're not even black and white!

Either political malpractice, or an obvious feint.

e: also the use of a reassuring female voiceover instead of an ominous, monotone male voice with tense music in the background. The semiotics of all of this is so off it has to be intentional. They want Bernie to win Iowa because they think it'll shake Clinton.

Compare to another ad from the same group's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxK4UBsntTc

Hubis fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 26, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Eh, I was saving this but what the hell.

TrumpTrain Has No Brakes

Hubis
May 18, 2003

trapped mouse posted:

Chris Rock has been very "uggghhhh" lately.

[img-didntreadthearticle.jpg]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6bcj9Fh3nU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I feel bad for him.

Jeb Bush's misfortune are completely derived from his desire to to win the nomination of a party dominated by a deliberately stoked jingoist, racist, anti-intellectual movement. He deserves precisely zero sympathy because he at best watched from the sidelines as it happened because it either suited his party politically or because it wasn't worth the personal political risk to speak out against the tide. He and every single establishment republican out there has sewn wind, and now they reap the whirlwind. If he had had an ounce of balls, he would have looked at what his party had become and pulled an Arlen Specter. Don't mistake his haplessness for pitiable harmlessness -- remember that his proposed cabinet looked like basically a replay of W.

gently caress Jeb Bush, he got exactly what he deserved.

Pictured: Jeb Bush signing Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, the first of it's kind in the nation.

• Locked thread