Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Well, you goons finally convinced me, and I dropped the cash for a PS4 so I could play this. I guess I probably could have gotten it on Steam, but A: I'm used to PS controls, B: I'm sure I'd eventually get a PS4 anyway, and C: Exclusive Scarecrow maps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I'm probably just going to stop reading this thread until I've finished the game. I appreciate the spoilers, but once people start playing I imagine the conversations will be nothing but spoilers, so it's probably not even worth it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

The absolute best one is the one with one guy and 3 turrets.

He solves practical problems.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

game is full of cool poo poo you can only do once or use in just one instance

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Levantine posted:

I'll never get tired of using the Batmobile remote to "cure" the thugs with bombs in their heads.

... it's so obvious. The first time, you're prompted to use the remote batarang with exposed wires to electrify the guy, so I tried to do it that way for all of them. On the last, I couldn't find any electricity so I looked it up online and they said "use the REC.". I didn't even consider using the Batmobile taser.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

So on NG+ I decided to end the story before most of the side missions so I could see how the other villains react when captured knowing that Batman is Bruce Wayne. I did capture Two-Face, Penguin, and Riddler first, though I probably shouldn't have. Somehow, Riddler is still broadcasting on the big screens, insisting that the Bruce/Batman connection is fake. How is he doing that when he's in prison? At first, I thought it was pre-recorded, but it references Batman's unmasking, which happened after he was captured. I don't know, it seems like a pretty obvious plot hole that's easy to fix- "If Riddler == captured, then NOT Riddler Broadcasts."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

oldpainless posted:

There was a guy earlier saying he didn't like Shadow of Mordor and I want to say I agree with him. I found it very repetitive.

Welp bye.

I'm with you. I played all the way through the story mode for completion's sake, but about halfway through it got boring doing the same stuff over and over again. And I really don't see what's so amazing about the much-vaunted Nemesis System.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, that's who White Rabbit is.

I thought that was someone who worked at the Iceberg Lounge or something.

Is she at least tied to the Mad Hatter?

White Rabbit is a Spider-Man villain, and has been since at least the nineties. I'm surprised DC got away with making a character with a very similar design and the same name.

Batman:

Spider-Man:

quote:

I played Origins recently and the Riddler sections made me sad because I pretty much agreed with him and didn't get why Batman was trying to stop him. If you collect his blackmail pretty much all of it is about really bad people who legitimately needed their crimes exposed. I felt like a complete rear end in a top hat protecting the biggest scumbags in the city while driving a man to insanity. It was really confusing and made me think that Batman might actually be doing it just to prove that he was smarter.

Agreed. Eddie should have been the first Oracle based on his actions in Origins. If he were blackmailing them for his own gain, that would at least be villainous, but "you can't release this information because people will get hurt?" Sure, Bruce, now go break some people's arms, that's fine.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I guess I'm a dunce because the 100% ending wasn't very clear to me. Obviously, Batman and Alfred faked their deaths by blowing up Wayne Manor, but are we meant to take away from the mugging scene that GCPD is using fear toxin to fight crime in Batman's absence or something?

I really didn't care for the "upgraded Batman" ending. I thought they were going to do something like "Batman's sacrifice inspired Gotham, so they no longer need a superhero," rather than "welp, guess things are starting over.

As for Deadshot, all I know about him is what he's done in Arkham: Basically, guy shoots people for money. So I have no idea whether Will Smith will play him well or not. I'm more worried about the silly Joker design and the possibility that Harley will be made into a dumb sex object.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did I share this already? This is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2TiVdIjEtk

These videos all suck. Skin deep criticisms that often don't even make sense. "This diner is full of newspapers with hints towards future plot points?" Why is that a "sin?" It's called foreshadowing, and it's something good writers do.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

See also 'How it should have ended' and 'Honest trailers'.

The scum of the internet. Made by scum for scum.

"How it should have ended" is boring and mostly relies on "if only the characters were as smart as us, then we could skip the movie," but Honest Trailers is funny.

quote:

Pretty much.

"Year One" was written shortly after the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" DC mega-event in 1985 that rebooted their entire universe, and was meant to establish the official Bat-origin for the DCU going forward (originally published in Batman #404–407).

DKR (and its...interesting sequel DKSA) was Miller pretty much doing his own thing on the concept of the last Batman story. It, like these games, is separate from everything else. It's just SUPER POPULAR.

(for completeness sake) "Zero Year" is Scott Snyder's take on the first year shenanigans of Bruce's Batmanning in the rebooted-again-in-2011 DC universe, and is a good source of quality modern Riddler (Batman #21–33).

Don't forget All-Star Batman and Robin, which Frank Miller insists is in the same universe as DKR and which DC probably wishes never happened.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

quote:

One of the few? You mean literally all of them? That's Two Face's thing outside of when they just have him show up to be a random baddie in like a villain team up or something. Any Two Face centric stories focus on how tragic it is that the world lost the heroic Harvey Dent to the monstrous Two-Face. It's in The Dark Knight Returns, it's in The Dark Knight (movie), it's in this very game Arkham Origins. He's up there with Freeze for that.

Not sure I agree. In the animated series, he had a very strong origin story and one good episode where Batman switched his coin with a trick coin that always landed on edge so he'd have to make a decision on his own. The latter showed hope that he could be redeemed, but they never followed up, and every other time he's seen he's just a standard crime boss with a coin fetish.

quote:

E: All Star Batman is loving amazing and I really hope Miller can finish it some day. Batman calling Robin a retard and loving Black Canary in the middle of the docks, where the corpses of all the thugs they just murdered are strewn about...man...

Well now I have to post this:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Wanted to share a fun glitch, where a goon grabbed me with psychic powers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oxHP6UbwpU

Oh, and this:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

I spent about 15-30 minutes trying different ways to destroy this awful checkpoint with 4 sentries all looking at each other with different dudes there too last night. It's at that point I finally noticed the one wall I was avoiding the whole time (since a sentry gun is just looking directly at it) had a place to rip the wall down and the batmobile wrecked them all in 10 seconds flat. :downs:

I spent about two or three hours on this one night. I saw the Batmobile winch, but I didn't have the Batmobile because the bridge hadn't lowered. The thing is I didn't know the islands opened to the Batmobile once you advanced the plot far enough. I had found one of the Riddler rooms and one of the firefighter hostages on Founders Island and I wanted to go ahead and finish them, but I needed the Batmobile to get them. So I somehow got the idea that if I could take out all the checkpoints on the island on foot, it would be safe to bring it in. I got a lot of them, actually, but this one was pretty much impossible (though I have to admit it was a fun challenge). Also I had trouble with one tower which a helicopter kept its light trained on nonstop, which you can't do unless you have the remote hacking device. Eventually I looked it up and was told "just keep playing the story," but it was hard to ignore the voices of the thugs torturing the firefighter.

quote:

The thugs reactions to Catwoman were great in Arkham City too. Before this game came out, it was reading all the Tumblr outrage about how ~problematic~ it was that they called her a bitch. Oh no, it's almost as if no-education goons see a woman beating up their friends might use a not-so-nice word!

:regd08:
Even if you disagree, is it so hard to just accept that people have different opinions than you?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

You can cheese it by restarting before you die if things go badly. With that said I got an end of game bug and had to start again anyway, but I think they fixed it.

It's a nice excuse to play the game again I suppose.

The worst part for me was the Firefly fight, because I couldn't get the timing on the counters right without the indicators, and it was usually instant death if you missed one. I probably slammed the power button half a dozen times on that fight.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sindai posted:

Does the game seriously not send you to get the REC at any point? I had the Riddler tell me to go get it ages ago but I assumed the main story would give it to me eventually because that's how it worked in every previous game.

The Riddler told me to go get the REC, and I wasn't sure where it was but eventually thought of the police station (well, okay, my wife suggested it, or I probably would have gone to Wayne Tower). So I got there and tried to talk to Aaron Cash or one of the people guarding the evidence room, trying to figure out who I needed to get permission from and fill out the requisition paperwork... Eventually, I think I looked it up online and was told "just smash it."

"I've been hitting them with the REC and the normal cape stun into beat down.

I'm not sure what the elegant solution is though."

Basically using the REC turns them into normal brutes. Without it, I think you might still be able to build up your combo on other enemies and then use the instant takedown, but you probably need two.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sindai posted:

I am unable to imagine pushing a button in an Arkham game without a context-sensitive prompt on the screen telling me to.

Do you have any idea how many tries I made to enter the Riddler rooms in City before realizing you just press X? It's a marked spot on a stone wall- who wouldn't try explosive gel?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

I did the exact same thing and got increasingly angry when it wouldn't work.

Mind you, I also had to look up the solution to the shell game because it didn't even occur to me to cheat with detective vision :downs:

I always thought it seemed out-of-character for Riddler to cheat in the shell game. His puzzles are supposed to be tough, but possible if you're intelligent enough. That one basically requires you to cheat.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

It requires you to be intelligent enough to cheat and not leave anything to chance. :haw:

But if I recall he's surprised and hurt at this so I don't know.

Right, he gets mad and accuses you of cheating, but really there was no other way to win. So in his mind, the puzzle was unsolvable.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hacking Cobras is really effective.

I thought Cobras were hack-proof. I think there was one fight where they couldn't be hacked, so I never tried it again.

Discendo Vox posted:

This version of Riddler is at least partially inspired by a relatively recent set of Riddler characterizations (I think their origins were in the Batman Forever novelization, of all things) whose defining childhood event was really severe physical abuse by a father who didn't like how smart they were, and who would basically ask Eddie riddles and then either a)beat them for being wrong or b) beat them for cheating. This has given Riddler a weird self-justifying delusional perspective on how his unfair puzzles are "fair". Nygma's genuinely one of the smartest people in the Arkham mythos, but he's driven to ask riddles for the sense of control it gives him- and a large part of that is having "control" over what's "cheating". He's basically become his father, except an actually smart one, and Batman's become him- except Batman is winning every. single. time. - doing the things he could never do as a child. Which is of course making him worse and worse. I love that line during his boss fight- it says so much.

That's interesting. It's also consistent with Riddler's interview tapes from Arkham Asylum.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I actually remember the Asylum bosses and was going to bring that up, but then remember that all of the bosses in City were decent at the bare minimum. None of them were amazing or anything but none of them were bad.

The only real boss fight in Asylum was Poison Ivy, and she was just a ripoff of Spanish Napoleon from Resident Evil 4. I thought most of the City bosses were good, though. Freeze is in my top boss fights of all time, Grundy was fun (although frustrating when I couldn't figure out how quickfire worked and kept trying to manually deploy explosive gel), and Ra'as and Clayface were both pretty good, if a bit button-mashy.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, I am finding Red Hood to be very unwhelming. And I was satisfied with Harley Quinn's thing.

It's particularly disappointing when you realize the fight with Black Mask is essentially just a very long Beatdown combo.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

You have to fight Killer Croc with the Batmobile too. Not because he's in a tank, he's just grown so increasingly large over the games that there's no way to fight him on foot.

That is how you beat Bane in Asylum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Seconding this, environmental takedowns are easily the best addition to this game and makes dealing with huge mobs of brutes and lightning guys a LOT more managable.

Shove someone's head into an electrical panel and watch them twitch until they stop moving. NO KILLING!

• Locked thread