Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im disappointed Azrael isn't a bonus character, or even a Jean-Paul Valley version with souped-up robot armor, but I guess Red Hood fulfills the "violent batguy" quota for this game.

are there going to be combat challenge maps where you can play with dual heroes?I've only seen it shown for story-based fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

One of the videos showed a Batcave challenge map with Batman and Nightwing dual play.

nice, hope I can also put crazy fucks like Red Hood and Harley with Batman on those maps. Origins only having Deathstroke and Batman was a real bummer. Yes I know Bruce Wayne was also in there but come on, that doesn't compare to Nightwing/Robin/Catwoman

also if they have a baby option to "buy all combat challenge unlocks" I would do that because gently caress going through every goddamn riddler thing just to unlock fun challenge maps, son

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

arkham knight way too tall to be aziz imsorry

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

review are going up. Polygon gave it a 10. GameSpot gave it a 7. Interesting.

edit: IGN 9.2, GameInformer 9.5

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 19, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

WMain00 posted:

That's an easy one. Polygon should always and forever be ignored.

surprisingly it's a pretty standard review by a guy who probably loves the franchise. Zero "Polygon tropes" by him. I'm the first out the gate to say gently caress polygon but the worst crime this review perpetrates is that it's really short.

General consensus seems to be that yeah it's bigger and better and badder, it's Batman, if you liked the other 2 you'll like this one lots.

Game Informer seems to indicate that new Azrael is one of the combat buddies which really owns.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

I really don't care if the main story is garbage, so long as there are a lot of side missions that let me Batman around, catching villains and doing (fake but cool looking) detective work. I hope whoever takes over making Batman games after this goes in more of a GTA direction, where most of the narrative driven content is side missions clustered into individual cases. I don't even need or really want a big overarching story, unless the writers really have something clever and fresh to bring to the table. Give me 20 cases with 5-10 missions each and I'll be happy.

they probably aren't making anymore for a long while. seems like WB Studios is going to lean on stuff like Mordor and Mad Max, which has become spiritual successors in terms of the open world and the combat systems.

Rocksteady should work with Monolith next to ensure we get a fuller, more fleshed out Mordor game.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm a bit iffy on the Batmobile so far. It seems to be shoehorned into a lot of places that don't necessarily require it. The chase with Firefly reminds me too much of GTA for comfort.
I can't help but wonder what the reason for Batman doing races with Riddler is. Hostages again? Just an excuse to make Riddler even more neurotic?

Riddler somehow creating these giant racetracks makes zero loving sense but I don't care because it's dumb fun. Personally I probably won't bother to obsess over every single Riddler thing because I am sick to loving death of it, though. WB is slowly becoming Ubisoft in terms of "collect them all" bullshit. Mordor had stuff like that too but much of it was at least tied to missions or generally interesting exploration.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

So if I just walk into a store and buy this in 2 months, I won't get any extra goodies? Or do I still get the Scarecrow missions and a few skins just for buying the PS4 version?

And are those missions/skins downloadable via a code? Meaning if I buy the game used I won't get them?

yeah you just get the PS4 poo poo I think, the Scarecrow missions and 2 skins. Preorder is preorder no matter what.
They mentioned that whatever you miss from preorder will be eventually included in DLC, though. I take it this also means certain things like the Steam preorder costumes, too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

really impressed with how loving great this looks on console. been hearing it's completely smooth too, which is a welcome change from the buggy as gently caress releases like Bloodborne/MKX/Witcher 3 we got earlier this year

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so I guess since there are people who already have the game, my question is: what's the scope of the challenge maps like? I loved doing the predator/combat challenge maps over and over in the arkham city with all the characters. do we have a number for how many there are in this one, is it more/less, etc etc

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they should have renamed this game "Batman And His Annoying Robot Dog You Have To Constantly Care For" jesus how did he ever manage before without constantly needing to go through this Lost Vikings bullshit of switching between him and babysitting this big dumb car. I'm only just finished with ace chemicals and I already was just saying "really???" everytime I needed to USE THE CAR or FIND A WAY TO GET CAR HERE

also lol at Rocksteady not being able to resist (probably big early spoiler)
putting the loving Joker in again and finding a way to shoehorn his rear end here. funny enough I think this idea has a lot of potential, even if batman has ZERO reaction to this poo poo

Regardless of slow start and car shenanigans I think it's fun so far and the game looks so loving gorgeous on PS4, big step up from AC. Combat in general really feels like you get a shitload of new things to do but the enemies right off the bat, like chargers and medics, even the odds a lot. Sentry guns change up predator poo poo, too. It's good to see the Rocksteady guys already surpassed whatever "new" poo poo Origins though it could bring to the table.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harlock posted:

The game seems to have slight performance issues even on PS4. Frame rate drops now and then driving the Batmobile around. Also forget going to the XMB during some segments because it will become a slide show if it doesn't lock up.

Game is still real fun though.

yeah the only slight FPS drops are when I'm jettisoning at mach speed in the batmobile, which I guess is to be expected, but other than that I'm stunned at how well this looks and feels on PS4.

batmobile poo poo is the top reason why I'd never buy season pass, I'd rather pick and choose DLC than buy a lump that includes horrid car poo poo.

ChibiSoma posted:

Multiple failures on the very first Riddler thing and I already want to murder everyone at Rocksteady who made this trash that no one wanted. That's what Arkham needed - lovely racecourses in a squirrelly car that flips at the slightest bump and takes 5 seconds to come to a complete halt (because Batman wants to be careful not to damage his invincible super-vehicle?) before it can flip back over.

haha my GF was laughing her rear end off saying "why do you have to do this??" as I failed that thing over and over. in hindsight it wasn't as hard as I made it out to be but I was still really pissed at it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

There seems to be a lack of challenge maps compared to the previous games, seems like you can only play as Batman in the challenge maps too.

holy poo poo youve got to be kidding me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm not that far in so there might be some I haven't found yet but this seems to be the case. Looks like they took out my favorite part of the Arkham franchise and either forgot about it or they're going to package it as DLC in the season pass.

thanks rocksteady

my disappointment level is through the loving roof if true. why on earth would anyone do this, that's like the biggest step backward you can possibly do.

I guess it's loving DLC because one of the dlc season pass items says "Players can become Batman or his allies in a series of standalone challenge maps." gently caress you WB, holy loving poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are there any videos of this extremely low texture goodness, I'd like to Laugh at it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mogomra posted:

Interesting. I got two keys from Amazon. One unlocked "Batman: Arkham Knight" and the other unlocked "Giraffe" whatever the gently caress that is...

I'd love to replace the batmobile with a giraffe

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there a list anywhere that possibly tells which riddler poo poo unlocks what? if they apparently unlock worthwhile stuff like combat maps then it would save me the time of tackling horrid poo poo like races for no reason

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Flytrap posted:

Ugh, I really hope the PS exclusive skins and Harley's little side story are worth all this. It's been downloading since Monday and it's still got 12 hours to go.

son it really might be time to get a better internet because wtf

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

There are some challenge maps, they just have to be unlocked. It's a little weird and not as well implimented as in City or Origins

yeah I just wish I knew how we unlocked them and how many there actually is

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im strongly considering just returning this loving game. I literally am forced to used the car for every goddamn thing. I can't even do basic tracking or mission based poo poo or opening the door to the loving GCPD without using this loving car. It's mindblowing how annoying and tiring this is. honestly hobbling the challenge map replayability was bad enough. at least I know Polygon can still be painted as shiteaters for that laughable 10/10 review, jesus christ

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hashy posted:

The Harley Quinn "Story Pack" is like 5 minutes long and terrible. Is the Scarecrow one any better? The code for that in my PS4 copy was already used and I'm trying to get it resolved but if it's as bad as Harley Quinn's 4 Room Romp I'll just forget it.

it's more batmobile bullshit racing and then tank poo poo, because we don't have enough loving tank sections in the main game

the DLC that was put out at release all sucks tremendously. what they should have done was put in some more loving challenge maps instead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

apparently there's some random skin DLC available on PSN. not sure what the point is putting skins on robin/nightwing if you can't play them individually yet though.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/batman-arkham-knight-new-52-skins-pack/cid=UP1018-CUSA00133_00-DLCSKINNEW520000

also 110 MB what the hell

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

quick clarification on ace chemical mission:

i don't understand what happened with the surprise joker reveal and batman having joker as a headmate.

is the scarecrow's toxin based off joker blood and batman breathed some in or was there actually a joker clone (infected patient #5?) in the room with batman that knocked him out and infected him?

No, batman is crazy although you wouldn't know it because he has zero reaction to any of these moments with the hallucination so far in my playthrough. there's like zero weight to it because batman doesn't even give a gently caress, though the appearances are pretty amusing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

You're incorrect.

on what point, his reactions?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Batmans not crazy, he's got Joker AIDS.

same poo poo. does it matter whether he got it off a loving toilet or from the events of Arkham City.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Honestly I don't see an issue with that policy. Sure, the percentages could use a change, but overall I'm for it. It forces devs and publishers to actually put some effort into making a quality product to avoid losing profit later on if they happen to deliver something as bad as this.

If companies start moving away from Steam then it just becomes clear who's not willing to shell out a bit more time/money and makes them seem like they'd rather deliver low quality ports to appease the PC community.

Exactly, plus skipping over Steam and not getting in on a huge majority who uses Steam DRM over everything else is a huge hit. I wish refunds had been a thing for Evolve or even Unity; poo poo would have been hilarious.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Fool posted:

I assume it's because of their suits, as there are enemies that are hidden from detective mode as well.

Also, I love the Batmobile.

I love the Riddler puzzles, the tank fights, the races, everything.

Anyone that doesn't like the Batmobile is bad at video games and/or has no taste.

please source your neogaf quotes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I want a version of this game where Frank Quitely had complete control over the art direction.

This would be amazing because it could guarantee a DLC wherein you must fight/team up with We3.

Some of the fights in this are brutal due to the sheer variety of mooks you face in very claustrophobic areas. Never imagined a fight against 2 shield dudes, 2 stun baton guys, a charger, a knifer, and two gun toters would whip my rear end. On one hand it's great that you now have a worth match most of the time for your expanded arsenal, on the other hand it can turn into a tedious "jumping over everyone" game for a while since many encounters are in very tight spots

that tank thing early on where you have to destroy like 40 loving drone tanks was the most boring thing ever.there's basically zero variety in tank fights other than strafe, aim to shoot, sometimes you use the machinegun to shoot rockets.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dogen posted:

Later you fight 60! So you have that to look forward to.

god why

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Because they made a Batmobile and you're gonna loving use it and like it, or no dessert tonight!

Hope you're lookin forward to Batmobile boss battles! Cause there's a bunch of em!

I hope by "boss battles" you mean car chases because those are great. anything with the strafing tank robot is boring; it doesn't matter how long I play it just constantly blows my mind how such an uninteresting thing is so focal. At least I picked the "hack tank" upgrade to give it SOME kind of new twist so there's that. it's too bad you can't attach other drone tanks to yourself and make a batman mech.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man that whole zeppelin section loving owned, just what a needed after the start of the game was nonstop batmobile. much easier to deal with whatever tank sections there are once you get a big chunk of predator/combat situations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

seems like after the beginning of the story you use the tank a bit less and they crank up some really hardcore combat and predator scenarios. The first voice vox use in a predator scenario was great and the fact that medics now exist in predator makes it even more insane. But you always get even more tools to counter those odds, they did a fantastic job with upping the ante in all respects to combat and stealth sections. Makes me even sadder that there's almost no challenge maps right now.

Darke GBF posted:

Agreed, on all counts. The Batmobile in this game is loving amazing, and handles like a dream. Even with a maxed out grapnel boost I still alternate between driving places and gliding places frequently just because the drat thing is such fun to drive.

Honestly, everything about this game except for the performance issues has me extremely impressed. The side quests are better, the combat is better/deeper, the variety in gameplay is incredible, the story is entertaining, and this might be the best collection of Joker in all the media he has ever appeared in. The city looks great, and isn't covered in the green Riddler poo poo like Arkham City was.

The chase sections where you barrel around and destroy everything while chasing APCs and their fleet or even a madman in a jetpac were awesome segments. Batmobile when it's used correctly in high octane scenarios is great; I can somewhat deal with the tank Macross sections vs like 20 at once now since it comes infrequently, though the "stealth tank" sections vs those huge tank enemies are really plodding. Ditto for anytime you have to constantly do platform puzzles with it; it slows the pace to an annoying crawl.

Everything else you've said I agree with, though---I actually like how sidequests don't exactly always pinpoint poo poo for you. You have to explore the deep corners of the city to find poo poo like burning roofs or strung up bodies. Easily better than Bane's Titan poo poo quests. And yeah, I absolutely love how the Riddler poo poo isn't OBNOXIOUSLY sprinkled everywhere in the city. It exists but its hidden so it doesn't turn the city into this ugly pastel of "buildings that have riddler buttons and wires all over every block."

The start of the game was kind of slow and put me into the batmobile way too much, but from the Zeppelin section onward the game has been absolutely great.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Found a video of the dirty cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dllmFqoVmSU

I love how no one shoots Batman for assaulting an officer. Nor do the officers book the guy themselves. The GCPD is pathetic.

was this because of a previous thing in the story I missed? At first I assumed it was the psychosis taking over and labeling random cops as riddler informants when I did this. I was like "wtf batman is paranoid"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Huh. I didn't know you could actually tell him.

does this actually have a bearing in the end of the game? I opted not to.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that excavator sequence was one of the worst loving things I've ever sat through in any game in years but at least everything else for the last half was great

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Toady posted:

The destruction of the Batmobile was the most satisfying moment of the game.

LOL I agree. also agree with the "chase camera" they used being really bad. just everything killing you immediately if you gently caress up and then sitting through another minute and a half of load screens was the most annoying part. if it reloaded IMMEDIATELY it wouldn't have been bad at all but jesus, you have to wait a while.

TheJoker138 posted:

Ha ha, whatever you say.

how the gently caress does someone with a joker avatar not know by now that this isn't even the official look of the joker

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so at the ending does this mean batman overcomes the Joker virus or was that just a temporary thing when faced with Fear toxin.

just finished main story, haven't even touched the penguin/twoface stuff and have a shitload of other stuff at 20%. Story was enjoyable, love all the predator stuff and combat really got turned up. I'd say it was a Good Game at this juncture but I really really want more replayable Predator maps badly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Batman overcame it. I believe that's what symbolically locking Joker away in the deepest part of Arkham Asylum was meant to represent.

I agree with your assessment. Do the Penguin stuff at least. If only for more dual play segments. Two Face gives you some more predator maps too since you're looking for those. I wish we had more inside buildings. I'm not partial to the emphasis on outside predator. I know that makes it more difficult, but I think that's what I liked about the one semi-outside map in City. It was one challenge as opposed to a whole game of them. I miss the gargoyles.

there was a shitload of outside Predator scenarios which were strange because it gave you a lot of leeway in terms of just gliding away or ziplining waaaaay off onto a crane to survey things. I thought it was neat though. Overall combat and predator gives you more tools and options in this game while also upping the ante for how they react to tactics in Predator, as well as putting more aggressive thug types in Combat. that alone is a big step up from the system used in previous games so I'd be disappointed if they didn't at least add like 5 or 6 new maps to both types. I spent hours with the ones in AC, especially since you had 4 characters to use.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man that harley quinn thing was the laziest poo poo, took me like 10 minutes to finish it. Guess that's why it was practically free for everyone

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'd have been okay with harley if she came with Challenge Rooms so at least you could fool with the various gimmicks.

I wonder if the part of the lack of character select in challenge rooms is because the Medic-electrified dudes require the Batclaw to take out and some characters don't have an answer for that.

I don't think I ever actually used the batclaw to take them out, maybe there's some other way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

According to some users at the Arkhamverse Forums, the following villains will be DLC Most Wanted: Killer Croc, Prometheus, Black Mask, Mad Hatter, Mr. Freeze, and Ra's al Ghul.

Not sure how accurate this is, but the topic can be seen here: http://forum.arkhamverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=23407&sid=2c521295b6a7c3d25e7c394f045c6088

if true that's a hell of a loving lineup and I'd be so onboard finally fighting Prometheus after having it teased since Arkham Asylum. Would also be awesome to see Freeze and Ra's again.

I loving pray NONE of them are tank battles and we actually get some awesome ACTUAL boss battles this time. Willing to bet one will be a boring tank segment though.

• Locked thread