Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm not a console gamer, but for Father's day my wife ordered me the special edition PS4 with the Arkham decal on it. It arrives tonight. I'm so loving stoked to play this. Someone tell me something good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hey goons, are the Lego Batman games any good? I know they aren't the Arkham series, but if I want more juicy Batman goodness, will I find it there?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm starting to notice something I hadn't seen mentioned. Later on in the story, it looks like lots of billboard art has changed and is directed right at Batman. Anyone else seeing this?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe it's just me, but the tone of this game is really loving dark. I think it's my favorite in the series so far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A couple of things about this game that I haven't seen mentioned that I find interesting:

1. Seamless interiors/exteriors are loving awesome and how come no one has mentioned this? I didn't expect another game to get this right so soon after Witcher 3.

2. Based on a couple of enemy encounters and the Arkham Knight itself, a lot of this game seems to be Batman's first time meeting some folks and a bit of "originy" stuff for other character. I never got the impression from Asylum/City that this game took place before the whole Bat-Family was established, but Arkham Knight seems to be going that route. When Bats first resolved the "mystery" of Manbat, I was like "WTF I thought he already knew that?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

redbackground posted:

1. Eh.

2. I'm not sure I understand--which Bat-fam are you referring to? At this point, we've had 3 Robins, Batgirl, Nightwing, Oracle...those are the primaries. There's never been a mention of Huntress, so I guess she doesn't exist. The only other First Meeting besides ManBat that I can think of is with the perpetrator of the hanging bodies side-mission. Everyone else is established in some way.

I guess a better way to put it is that I didn't realize Arkham Knight was retelling stories from the comics. I mean yea, most of his bat-family is there. Also, apparently Damian Wayne does not exist in this universe. I'm having a hard time articulating my point. I guess up until now I hadn't really realized that the Arkham Series as a whole sort of existed in it's own world and is not really affected by the comics. Since Joker died at the end of City, I thought this series of events was a bit later in Batman's career and Red Hood/Red Robin might have already been established. I'd seen the previous Arkham games mostly as "poo poo Batman does" bookended by Year One/Year Zero: New 52 and Dark Knight Returns.

Edit: also in this Arkham timeline, Knightfall I guess never happened? Otherwise Batman wouldn't be considering Azrael's proposition, since that poo poo already happened and got crazy. Like, I thought the Bane from Asylum was after he had broke-the-bat.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 20, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

redbackground posted:

Complicating your own thoughts, Year One, Year Zero, and Dark Knight Returns don't even take place in the same timeline together.

I use Year Zero/Year One interchangably, since Year Zero and in general the New 52 origin stories keep most of the same story-beats intact as Year One. And since Year One is Miller, I consider TDKR the conlusion to "all the poo poo after Year One to Batman's Death" for lack of a better way of describing it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hav posted:

Thanks for the explanation. At the risk of creating a war, can anyone recommend Batman graphic novels _beyond_ Year One, Dark Knight Returns and Killing joke? I have more money to spend on comics now.

I'm a big fan of "The Long Halloween" and "Hush."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've heard good things about that Court of Owls storyline.

It is, and I love Snyder's New 52 Batman run so far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Also super relevant reading for Arkham Knight is "A Death in the Family." Can't believe that hasn't been suggested yet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Payndz posted:

I recently picked up Hush because the Hush storyline in the Arkham games was pretty intriguing: a surgeon and childhood friend of Bruce Wayne's goes so insane with rage and jealousy that his parents weren't murdered so he could get their money that he starts killing to literally turn himself into Bruce Wayne in order to take his place? Sounds good, very psychological and noir-y.

Hush the comic is, uh... not at all like that.

It's a gratuitous excuse for Batman to have fight after fight against foes (Joker, Harley, Killer Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow) and friends (Superman, Catwoman, "Jason Todd"), with Hush showing up for like eight pages near the end only to get shot and fall off a bridge after Batman retardedly refuses to accept the great honking neon signs saying who he really is.

Hush: Hi, Bruce. Stick a needle in your eye, look at this pendant of my mother's I'm wearing and remember how I used to beat you at chess and wargames as a kid.
Batman: Who are you?
Hush: What? Bruce, I'm YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIEND THOMAS ELLIOT.
Batman: No! Thomas Elliot is dead!
Hush: That was Clayface, dumbass. You had a fight with him literally an hour ago where he was disguised as your dead friend Jason Todd. You remember? I paid him to imitate me in order to gently caress with you. I AM THOMAS ELLIOT. Seriously. Even though I'm whispering for some reason.
Batman: I don't believe you!
Harvey Dent: No, he's telling the truth. I have notarised proof, witnesses, I'll even admit to working with him too...
Batman: Tommy was a good kid! He was my friend. And he's dead. Definitely dead.
Jim Gordon: :negative:

It's bollocks, and the art's over-rated too.

If you don't think Batman having a secret underwater bat tunnel in Metropolis with Kryptonite stored in it just in case Superman attacks him in Metropolis and forces him underwater then you don't understand Batman and have no soul. :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't view that page at work, can you give me some highlights pretty please TIA.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

redbackground posted:

Sure, give me a sec.

edit: Updated!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this DLC. Glad I got the game for PS4, I'd be really mad if I got it on PC. :D

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

dscruffy1 posted:

It's so good they even let it rain indoors sometimes.

I've had that happen where Batman is talking to someone indoors, and it's raining. Pan to the guy he's talking to and no weather. Pan back to Batman and it's raining again. Dude always has a black cloud hanging over him. Hey Batman, it can't rain all the time! :banjo:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've had this game w/ season pass since launch on my PS 4, and am working thru new game plus now and have already got all 240 or so riddler trophies on my first run. However, since I'm married it means sharing play time with the wife on the TV so I gambled with my money and bought the premium edition on Steam. I figured I'd get a refund if I was unlucky. But holy poo poo this game is running amazing! Constant 50-60fps with everything turned up except AA because I'm using Sweetfx-reshade for that, and it's a whole different game. Just the increased frame rate alone from ps4 makes playing this game so smooth and fun, and the batmobile handles like a dream!

And since I love riddler trophies I don't mind getting all of them again. Maybe I'm weird like that but I'm such a whore for batman I don't care about collectathon bullshit. I'm the problem with video games today.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I kinda liked just hunting around for the boring crap and then going off to do a most wanted mission for some punch catharsis.

That's pretty much me. Handling batman himself (and now his car) is enough of a joy and reward that collecting these trophies is fun. Not saying there aren't better uses of my time, but this is the game I have and I can enjoy it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This isn't too hard once you know the trick: speed. Don't do anything fancy, not even takedowns as they take time. Simply punch and counter and bounce around the map as fast as possible. On my third try I was able to take down every robot before the floors finish getting electrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TechnoSyndrome posted:

https://youtu.be/pEXmZUtzacU

Yo this remaster looks like garbage

Some things look better. Most things look WAY worse. That shot of Strange is incredibly bad and it seems they went backwards in time a few generations in regards to hair in general. Hugo Strange now has "old school Jeff Gordon" eyebrows.

• Locked thread