Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Retelling The Killing Joke but giving Barbara some loving agency actually sounds really great.

I'm expecting the red hood dlc to be a very small slice of content - a few challenge maps stapled together wouldn't suprise me.

I do think that the harley quinn dlc will have a bit more tender loving care put into it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arkham Knight is Clayface.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I find the joker hilariously overused.

That said, I loved how Batman Beyond turned him into this great icon for street gangs and gotham lore.

Even his "return" is really drat great, and one of the best grimdark batman stories.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's no way to download the day one patch on the ps4 without getting the game first, is there?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One day I'll be able to play a game where I can leap off a tall building and not have the ground super suddenly texture-pop into existence.

Arkham Knight is not that game.

On the ps4, at least, the pop up is kinda similar to Arkham City - super obvious if you know where to look, but one hell of a drat fine illusion.

---

I spent a solid five or six hours playing mainly the core storyline, and its totally not what I expected - in a good way.

There's a super long "dungeon" that really takes advantage of the sheer scale the game world now allows - it took me probably over two hours to run through the whole section and the vast, vast majority of that was spent in gameplay.

The pacing is just totally different from City.

City was a cutscene and quick setpiece fiesta for its first few hours - Knight actually frontloads a ton of tutorials and solid-as-hell gameplay before really dipping into its plot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Do we eventually unlock the grapple move that lets you reverse direction? I'm after ace chemicals right now.

Also, is there a way to avoid the thugs that grab you and force you to mash the button to break free? Not the "instantly KO" guys, the other ones.

Enjoying AK, though it is VERY different from previous entries. Fanservice is still mighty awesome though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is going to sound SJW-ey, but I love how diverse the cops and civilians are. I've ran into asian dudes and hispanics and slightly nerdy female cops - this feels much more like a city than ever before.

Early game spoilers, but man walking around the clock tower was, for me, better fan service than the batcave in earlier games. Love birds of prey. Love that Barbara is more than a voice on the phone this time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The red hood dlc is short but sweet - really hoping they allow you to play as him in more than just a 20 minute mission.

Also, is aerial attack no longer a move? Ran into some shield guys in the harley quinn dlc and got my arse handed to me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Can I still do aerial assaults on enemies? I'm after ace chemicals and I still can't do the drat move, despite it being in my moves list.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm well into the game and don't see any suit damage... someone said a ton of pages ago that switching up the costumes even once resets the damage. is this true?

On the ps4 if that matters. I'm about to go to wayne tower to try and find a certain someone...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Did they remove suit damage? I'm pretty drat far into the game and the new suit is still brand new looking.

I heard that loading a different skin causes the suit to reset, not sure if that's true though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm 28% of the way through the game and I got the glitch where there's no damage to the main suit. I'm considering restarting the game.

I'm crazy, right?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Really weird that you can't get XP by taking out random mooks on the street. Really changes the flow of the game. I'm doing way, way less fighting than I ever did in previous games.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Do you not get XP for riddler trophies? Cuz that's some bullshit.

I can understand not handing me XP for punching random dudes, but the riddler trophies is literally the largest sidequest in the game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The enigma data packs in Origins was one of the few times where I've gotten to the end of a long grueling video game challenge and gone "Wow, totally not worth all that drat energy and time."

The map in Origins was also fuckawful, with the game blocking off passages without marking it on your map - and keeping the new entrances completely hidden. I spent a solid hour and a half trying to get to one drat trophy under the GCPD, only to discover I had to find an unmarked manhole cover four blocks away and enter in that way.

Origins get unnecessarily poo poo on a lot, but its handling of Enigma is terrible.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

using the vulcan gun to take out the glowing purpleish weak spot for a quick kill would be awesome - except every five tanks or so I run into a tank that REFUSES to be killed that way. I just piss bullets at it, even zooming in my view and watch bullets literally plink off the "weak" point.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, i think there's a bonus if its the first bullet that kills it - but after that I have to keep changing angles to get it to blow up that way. Its super aggravating and makes me just want to blow poo poo up with the main cannon and be done with it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just wish I had access to a simple combat simulator early in the game to try out new weapons and gadgets and attacks - for the first chunk all we get is that odd "keep your combo going" room which is annoying as hell when you're trying to remember which move does what and where.

Like I love the sheer depth to the combat, and find the gadgets finally useful (except for the exploding gel, which is hilariously pointless in combat) - but an easy VR room would go a long way.

Akham Knight does so many things well, the core gameplay is a great evolution on nearly every front, the story actually succeeds in making me fear for Batman's life, the level design springing traps in juuust the right places -

But there's also a growing list of small issues that do detract from the title. Not in a "stuff is filler" way - just a bunch of nitpicky things taken together that distract from the title.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is there a way to pull up the upgrade screen without pressing the black rectangle on the ps4 for the map and then scrolling over to the upgrade screen? I think I somehow pulled up the upgrade screen first and I can't figure out if it was a glitch or if theres a way to repeat it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nah, the d-pads all taken. I know its partially because of all the features, but I really wish I had quicker access to some of my gadgets.

I'm loving the smoke bomb --> fear takedown combo, I'm using that to start most of my fights.

I also had a fun moment where I was stuck getting a firefighter - he's on the ground and surrounded by ten armed thugs. I smoke bombed and fought and tried my best - and then realized I could just call in the batmobile. Something surely glorious about taking out a throng of enemies with the "riot suppressors" and then glide kicking the final enemy just for the sheer hell of it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

When you level up (granting a BATMANPOINT™) or get a BATMANPOINT™ through side mission action you have a small window of time to press the big black rectangle button which will take you immediately to upgrades. If you wait and it goes off screen then the big black button goes to map then you have to scroll to upgrades.

You rock! That's exactly what it was. Thought I was going crazy for a second.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I always hated all the people who sperged out about how to exploit the score system in Arkham's combat modes.

And lo and behold, some rear end in a top hat thought it would be fun to put some upgrade points into the AR missions.

I've spent the last hour trying to beat Untouchable. gently caress you so very very much.

The challenge isn't about dodging. Its about decoding the loving spawn code for the tanks.

Who the hell thought this was fun?

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 3, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The batmobile is a constant presence, but it gets de-emphasized the further you get in the game. The first few hours really does feel like its batmobile all the time, every time.

Is there a way to disable sentry guns from a distance? Those drat things (and the cameras with the red lights) are making the militia checkpoints pretty drat difficult.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whoa, watched a video of the batman beyond suit in action. That skin is awesome.

Also it led to me looking back at batman beyond, and apparently there's been a host of batman beyond comics written in the last decade or so. Any of them good?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

ayn rand hand job posted:

Just wait. :)

You can blind them briefly by hacking, but that's it. REC and Disruptor are worthless.

Sometime there's a secondary panel to destroy a buncha the turrets, but there are a few where you have to blind the sentry and then take out the guards before it comes back.

Is there an upgrade I need for the remote hacking device? Because I have it and did the airship sections, and I'm still unable to hack the sentry guns. I'm talking about the turret thing that scans the ground... like in the terminal velocity predator challenge map.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Huh. Maybe I just need to play more main missions or something... because I'm not getting any option to blind turrets. I can use the remote hacker on an exploding barrel thing on terminal velocity, but it doesn't respond to turrets at all.

I did the airship part and now need to go to Lucius Fox to track roots. Hopefully that'll be the answer.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nvm about the sentry guns. Just had to play more of the story.

Just stumbled upon one of my favorite gadgets in the studio. If you don't find it yourself, does the game eventually send you to get it for the main story or riddles?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Batman Year One, Long Halloween, and Dark Victory are basically your "primary" batman texts. They're not necessarily the best, but they're one hell of an intro and form a nice almost-trilogy.

I asked this earlier but has anyone read any of the batman beyond comics? I'm a huge fan of the animated DC universe and I remember the Batman animated series comics being really goddamn great too. There's a particularly fun series that is basically a continuation of the New Batman adventures that really did interesting things with the status quo.

Although the animated series definitely lessened as the arkham games continued, Arkham Asylum in particular really feels like the animated series minus any censorship or age audience consideration

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The game teases Bludhaven hard. I can't believe we're going to get THIS close to a free roaming section in bludhaven and then not have it happen.

The police station in the harley quinn dlc is super generic

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'd actually love to see a batman universe game that gives time and control over to the supporting characters. It'll probably never happen, but AK is at least an improvement.

For the untouchable VR mission, its best to go slow and steady. Stay the hell out of the center - its much easier to just drive straight up and fire near point blank at tanks. I found that dodging with the button got me killed way too often; I generally stuck to just manuevering with the thumbstick.

Also, the riddler races are 20x easier if you use first person perspective. I generally hate that viewpoint for racing, but it makes the "dodge the crushers" section much more manageable.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arkham Knight at least makes sense if you're not well versed in Bat-lore.

As opposed to Arkham City which went "yeah theres an eco terrorist who is immortal and built a lovely version of rapture under gotham and his daughter is in love with Batman and Batman might be -" like that spergy guy at a comics store.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just did the Panessa Studios section. Jesus.

That said, I'm kinda miffed at how prevalent the texture pop can be (I'm on PS4). The framerate holds up incredibly well, but if you get some speed with the batmobile and move between the islands the texture loading can get all sorts of messed up. Got into a tank battle where most of chinatown took 10-20 seconds for the buildings to "pop" into view.

I expected a bit of texture pop here and there when diving from distances and stuff, but Founder's Island has been home to some super noticeable loading while gliding around.

Also, I didn't plan it this way but its hilarious that Batman locks Tim Drake in a cell and then immediately joins Nightwing for some crimefighting. What a dick.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Throw all your upgrades into the batmobile, particularly the ones that make your shots hit harder or reload faster - its downright necessary in a way that "useless but cool batman combat move" isn't.

I really wish they didn't nerf the disruptor so much - the finickiness of trying to "shoot" their gun combined with the gadget wheel means I rarely use it this time around.

Come to think of it, that gadget wheel is really weird on the ps4. It seems like I generally have to keep the D-pad held down to keep it open, except some times a light tap will open it. And sometimes a light tap just pops it up real quick and then disappears.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm getting some serious texture pop on the ps4. Even character models occasionally use the lower poly count - firefly in particular always took a few seconds to "pop" in.

I'm on a tank fight near the church with the toxin. Holy poo poo, the difficulty spike. And unclear level design. I'm told to stay near the church so ivy can help, but if I fight in the courtyard I get my poo poo pushed in by the 87 missile tanks.

I assume drone hack is the secret here?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh Jesus. I now understand all the hatred for the cloudburst fight. Whoever decided to drag the camera back when I need to flee (and therefore make it super difficult to take turns and find alleys) should be shot.

At least give me the option to bring back the normal camera.

Sorry to echo so many others, but yeah - this is legitimately "I don't want to replay the game because this section is so aggressively unfun" bad.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The thing is, up to this point I've really enjoyed the batmobile.

But the tank sections go from "easy distraction" to "Oh christ what is happening how hard is this meant to be?" in a severe difficulty spike.

Its also abundantly clear that the scarecrow fear toxin stuff really taxed the ps4 - every time I died the villain game over screen started with a low poly model.

Weirdly enough, the flower explosions (for want of a big spoiler) are absolutely stunning. Stranger and stranger.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm fairly sure I'm approaching endgame, and this is somehow more Arkham City-ey than Arkham City. The stuff that's great is legitimately some of the most fun I've ever had with the series. The entire Batman and Robin hour in Panessa Studios was like a surreal love letter to superhero team-ups. WB Montreal should just copy that formula, mix up the partners and they'd easily have my money.

But when the game whiffs, boy does it ever miss. The cloudburst fight is incredibly unfun, but I can atleast kinda sorta see what they were going for, cocked up design aside. But the tank fight before it is just awful, and skews the difficulty in a way that really irritates. There's just so much poo poo thrown at you, helicopter bomb circles and normal cannon shots and lock on missiles that will have you frantically rotating the camera - there's no gentle upcurve in difficulty here. At all.

Compare that to the combat or predator sections, which feel immaculately designed and placed.

I don't have a problem with the handling of the batmobile per se, and its still a thrill to take out pillars with ease. But the illusory power of the batmobile goes straight to hell the second I ping pong off a wall and tip over/spin out/flip around like a dreidel.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If we're guessing about cut material from the games, I'd bet ten bucks that Rocksteady originally planned for Arkham City's DLC to be playing as Robin and Nightwing defending Wayne Manor.

For reasons unknown, we instead got two fully fleshed out characters with great unique movesets shoved into half assed challenge maps and the underwhelming Harley Quinn's Revenge.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just got to the part on the rooftop after the arkham knight conclusion.

That was a mess. Even in a wheelchair, Barbara Gordon could easily take out a militia member or two, certainly scarecrow. Instead, she's used purely as the OBJECT that Gordon is afraid of.

And freaking Batgirl screams when she's pushed off a roof. Are you kidding me?

That's 100x worse than a thug calling Catwoman a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm pointing out that the game has serious problems with its depiction of women, even though I've defended most of the choices they've made in the past. I thought Ivy's death was a good moment, and allowed her to go out on her terms. And Harley Quinn is still harley - I don't really have an issue there.

But the handling of Barbara Gordon is just ugly. I don't even mind her fake death being a motivation for Gordon or Batman - that's part and parcel with the world of superheroics. But portraying her as being completely helpless, no matter than Gordon's little boy in Dark Knight... I just don't buy it.

Not trying to throw a grenade in the conversation or anything here. Its just a scene that really rubs me the wrong way, and does a disservice to the character.

• Locked thread