Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rirse posted:

Should I bother to finish Arkham Origin before this comes out? I still debating if I want to get this right away, but I never finished Origins which I was given for free on the PS3 with the season pass. Last time I played was after beating Deathstroke.
It's probably not necessary, considering Rocksteady threw a pretty big dis at Origins by referring to Knight as "the third game in the trilogy" I doubt they plan to incorporate anything from it into their game. Origins' probably worth finishing at some point because it has arguably the best story of the Arkham games and some cool elements, but the altered combat mechanics and general bugginess of everything make it a lot less enjoyable to me than the "real" Arkham games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I played through the whole main story on PC, with no crashes and no real slowdown. I must have lucked out and have the same setup as the porting company or something :shrug: I did just buy a GTX 980, but it sounds like this isn't a raw GPU power issue, and other than that my machine isn't particularly beefy.

So the impression I got from the last few pages of the thread is that the Batmobile is pretty divisive then? Because I loving hated it, and the way they kept forcing it into every last gameplay element. I wanted more Arkham gameplay, instead I got a driving simulator. And did the combat see worse than the previous games for anyway else? A lot of times Batman would dive past a bunch of regular guys to jump face-first into a riot shield or electric prod guy, or punch into thin air and lose the combo. Still the combat and predator sections were still good, I just wish there were more of them. So much driving. Unless the side missions have a lot more of Batman on foot this is going to be my least favorite game in the series by far.

Sure looks pretty though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Go into some building, that should force it to save.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I've found the tank sections aren't as bad once you've upgraded the Batmobile's armor and weapons all the way, you just really need to prioritize dumping your points into there if you want to make it through the later tank clusterfucks. I still hate the tank sections, but at least they're over with quicker now. Target detection on the gun weakpoints really seems to suck too, I'm on keyboard-mouse so I've got the reticle directly over the little glowy rectangle, and the tank just sits there while the game tells me the gattling gun is ineffective again tank armor or whatever. Get the upgrades to make your 60mm cannon reload faster and to do increased damage to both the turret and body sections. I find the gattling gun only useful against the missiles and helicopters.

My annoying glitch of the day was that Riddler tower thing outside his orphanage. I got the ball with the question mark all the way down to the bottom drawer, opened the drawer with the Batmobile, and the ball rolled to the back where Batman apparently can't reach it. Couldn't push it out with the electric charges either. Pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen, hopefully it'll reset.

That also led me to discover Batman is incapable of crossing the Batmobile's winch cable.

Feenix posted:

The sword/blade back+Triangle is such a clusterfuck when the camera is sort of spinning around you autonomously.
I find combat a lot less fun in this game, it seems more like back in Asylum where Batman won't attack the guy you want, but will instead either attack some guy off-screen, or an electric or shield guy and ruin everything. I rarely used takedowns other than disarm-and-destroy in City because I liked just punching on the guys as long as I could, here I'm using takedowns a lot just to get the fights over with, and it's not like it really matters anyway since XP is a lot less important than taking out checkpoints or whatever.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The combat mechanics have pretty solid targeting. If you're hitting an electric guy it is because you're aiming towards them. An important trick is to know what gadgets work against what enemies instead of just punching. If there shock-rod guys on the field for example the REC gun will alway prioritize them when you aim even remotely near them. Same goes for the claw and electrified guys, the stun and shield guys, ect. If you're finding yourself hitting the wrong guy try to use a gadget instead of a punch.
No, I'm pointing right at the guy I want to punch, have him centered on screen, direction keys pressed in that direction, and Batman will stand in a corner punching a guy in front of him who's way at the edge of the screen, or leap away from the guy I'm pointing at to hit some guy offscreen I couldn't even see. It might be another PC porting issue. I know the combat mechanics, I'm not super-great or anything but I can get through the fights in City really well, something handles different here.

Crowetron posted:

(even more annoying that the fact that every female character gets kidnapped)
To be fair I think Nightwing's the only major character who isn't kidnapped at some point in this game. Hell even Batman kind of gets kidnapped.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 27, 2015

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

That has to be a PC port issue then.

Also Nightwing gets kidnapped by Penguin.
Ah, I haven't really started the Penguin arc yet. I thought about mentioning that but figured it probably wouldn't happen because what were the chances literally every major character would be kidnapped. There you go.

Bugblatter posted:

I almost wonder if the people complaining about the batmobile's handling are on pc or don't realize the trigger is an analogue throttle? If you're stuck just going between full/no throttle it'd probably be a pain in the rear end.

I didn't expect to like the batmobile, and the game has a lot of problems, but the handling of the car isn't one of them.
That's definitely a huge part of it. Driving games always suck with keyboard controls. Which is why I'm disappointed it's such a huge part of this game, because after a lifetime of playing games with keyboard/mouse I'm absolutely terrible on controllers.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Qmass posted:

just because you had to redo it a bunch doesnt make it bad.

they actually managed to make a predator mode for the tank, I liked it.
I made it through that bossfight in one try without dying, and I still hated it. You can dislike something without being bad at it. The driving sections are well done, but not what those of us who don't like driving games wanted from the Arkham series.

On a related note, was there any trick to knowing where the drill tank was in the bossfight right after that one? I died in that fight a bunch because I'd come around a corner and drive right into the front of that thing. Unless I was missing something, they really needed to make it show up on the mini-map.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Harlock posted:

Also the game's biggest failure is not being able to patrol the city as any of the 5-6 characters they let you play as in the game. I'm sure that'll be fixed through lovely DLC.
I've been thinking about this, the problem I see is that Batman and Robin are the only characters with capes, so the only ones that could conceivably glide. They got around that in City with Catwoman by having those jump-points up the side of the buildings and a magically lengthening whip, but it would take a lot of work to add those points to every building in Knight, and a lot of things are just too far apart to jump between. The characters would be stuck literally running around the city, and it would seem pretty tedious. Or they could give everyone their own cars I guess, I think Nightwing and Catwoman have motorcycles in the comics sometimes, but there are no motorcycles in this game and they'd probably have to tweak the driving mechanics for it.

I'd still love to see it, it would give the game a lot more variety, but I doubt it will happen officially. Someone posted a link a few pages back to a PC mod that enables free roam for all characters, I'm guessing that's the best we'll see and hopefully they won't patch that out.

Harlock posted:

It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't change the camera to a chase camera you've never used before and hosed up your sense of steering
I hate this every time I destroy a Hummer when chasing an APC. I'm trying to get a missile lock on the APC, stop spinning the camera around!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Well, one of my Riddler trophies is glitched. No matter how many times I do the tower out in front of the orphanage I never get a pickup prompt when I walk up to the ball. Hopefully a patch will fix this, I really don't want to have to start all the way over just to be able to get the 100% ending. Anyone else seen this bug? I haven't been able to Google up any other instances.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sober posted:

Are you on PC? I think I heard it had something to do with unlocking your framerate and the physics going wonky or something? (I personally didn't have any problems on PC, unlocked FPS when I did it at the time). If you're on console then, not sure why that would happen.
This turned out to be the fix, I re-edited the INI to put the framerate back at 30 fps and the puzzle worked first-try. Thanks a lot. I guess I'll just play it capped until they release the patch.

But now I see I've joined the list of people where the map shows I have no Riddler trophies left on Bleake Island but the list screen shows one missing, the middle box, top row second from the left. Does anyone know of a guide that shows which riddle each square on that screen corresponds to, so I can figure out which one it thinks I'm missing?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I finally finished everything, Riddler and all, and after the credits I got dumped back at 99% and right before the final Azrael confrontation, which was the last sidemission I did. Does it always dump you back before the last mission you complete, or always back before Azrael because they want you to choose to let him be Batman 2? I had him try to kill Batman so he'd get thrown in with the super-villains, because gently caress Azrael. It's kind of annoying not to have the save show 100%, is that what is always does?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My i7, 16GB RAM, 980 Ti system says "well, sort of."

Just keep waiting. All the first patch did was fix a few showstopper crashes and toggle some missing graphic effects back on. There were no performance fixes or patches for the memory leaks.
My system's worse than yours and other than some studders when getting in the Batmobile and slow texture loads I didn't have any major issues. It really seems to be luck of the draw.

But I'd advise against editing the INI to uncap the framerate, it broke at least one Riddler trophy for me.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I've been thinking, in most continuities Riddler is portrayed as a legitimate genius who's just not quite as smart as Batman, but is still capable of coming up with some really clever schemes and riddles. But I kind of like the idea that Arkham Riddler is just really really dumb and all the Bat family and cops are just humoring him. Like he's a guy who actually thinks standing on a pressure plate and hitting a question mark button with a batarang at the same time is a real puzzle that Batman will really have to work at to solve. Batman just goes though the collect-a-thon because he feels too bad to tell the guy those are like the kind of puzzles they give to chimps and crows.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm doing my second playthrough now, and all the mooks keep talking about how they can't wait to see Batman and the Arkham Knight face off. It's like they're rubbing it in.

Also random Batmobile thought: In normal day-to-day use, when he's actually allowed to tag along, does Robin have to sit in the trunk babyseat?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

BarkingSquirrel posted:

The subway has been cleaned out. There's no markers anywhere and no informants spawning. That's the problem.

Been all over all three islands, still none spawn. Spent two hours last night doing that. And yes I got the guy in the police station already. I dunno wtf.
You can tell what riddle you're missing by going to the riddle screen and highlighting the one that's not checked off, it'll tell you the clue.

For the trophy, short of using a guide to revisit every site I don't know what to tell you. You have finished the main story and all the other sidequests, right? Some of the trophies aren't accessible until you get to a certain point in the sidequests.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

During my second playthrough, I have to say knowing what's coming and that there's no escaping the Batmobile makes it a lot more tolerable. I've pretty much done all the fun stuff, and made it through the Cloudburst to drill tank slog, now I've just got the huge-rear end tank battle outside GCPD to get through, which shouldn't be as bad as my first playthrough since this time I've got a fully-upgraded Batmobile. I still don't like the Batmobile segments, but knowing where they're coming makes it easier to prepare myself for them.

However I've realized something that bugs me about the drill tank fight, besides the sheer ridiculousness of the whole thing. The entire fight is pointless. You lead the thing down all the tunnels, take its health bar down to zero, then Alfred opens the garage door for you and the thing reappears seemingly fine and destroys the Batmobile anyway. I mean, it's on fire and stuff, but it seems to still be working perfectly. Batman seemed to know the Batmobile wasn't getting out of that hole again at that point anyway, he could have abandoned the thing and just hid behind a box for five minutes until Alfred got the door open. It would have saved us all a bunch of trouble.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My fantasy for free-roam would be to basically handle it just like City. In Knight after all the sidequests are done the city's full of nothing but regular guys. I'd love it if they would have repopulated the post-game world like they did in City, where some of the guys have knifes/guns/etc, some of the predator areas are remanned, stuff like that. It might not make a lot of sense plot-wise, but it would make wandering around the finished city a lot more interesting and it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard. If they just had that so I could get some combat/predator variety by going to the right areas of the map like I could in City I wouldn't really even miss challenge rooms. Taking out a whole squad of rioters is fun, but it would be more fun if one of them pulled a weapon out every once in a while. Really it seems like the next-gen development problems and time crunch killed a lot of the really nice little passion-project touches that the other games got.

redbackground posted:

So this is now a thing that is possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51eCGX98ofM

:iit:
Ha, I put the video on fullscreen and then reflexively right-clicked when the counter icons came up :downs:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Junior Jr. posted:

I found this easter egg a couple of weeks ago, if you look inside the clock tower (not from the rooftop), you can find a desktop computer near the Masquerade Ball riddle, it has an instant messenger, where Barbara's chatting to Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) from the Birds of Prey.

It's once of those little secrets where you know the developers were playing close attention to all the little details going on in the comics and the DC Universe, there's also a Zatanna magic shop underneath Chinatown, although I've heard about it and yet to find it in the game.

Now I kind of wish for a Birds of Prey DLC.
Also some of mercs at one of the watchtowers have a line of dialogue about the Birds of Prey, something about there being an all-female splinter group who took some of the mercs out, one of whom has the same name as a club in the city (i.e. the Black Canary Club). Birds of Prey DLC would be awesome, but I'd rather see them make full use of their existing character models before they spend time and resources adding more.

So in my second playthough Deathstroke fight I hacked one of the Cobras, and it somehow managed to destroy three other Cobras and took Deathstroke's tank down to zero health. Apparently the AIs can't kill Deathstoke, but I just had to drive up, shoot him once, and it was over. Good job tank.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

bunky posted:

I played that today and it said a roughly similar percentage before I even touched it.

Riddler question: For some reason I'm trying to 100% this poo poo and I have some trophies on Stagg's airship. There's a central room where the stability controls are busted and I need that to move some of those dumb magnetic boxes around. I guess I'm boned and have to grab those in NG+?
There's another stability control console behind a door you need the voice synthesizer to open. I wandered around that room for like 15 minutes because of how much it blends in, until I accidentally walked close enough to it to make the prompt pop up.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Has anyone else noticed Rocksteady doesn't seem to understand the metric system?

Batman, if you can lay down and reach it while keeping your feet in the same spot, it's not 5 meters away.

I'm assuming they just tweaked the distance displays to make the islands seem bigger.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Terrible Horse posted:

This is the first part in NG+ where I've got stuck, and I think it's because I dont know how to do an environment takedown. I dont know if I missed the tutorial or if there are no prompts or what. Anyone have a cliffs notes?
On PC I find environmental takedowns almost impossible to trigger. I don't know if it's just that the timing's really tight and I keep missing it or if it's another PC bug. I can pick up pipes and bats reliably, but it seems like the takedowns only work maybe one in ten tries. Are they like that on consoles, is it a bug or do I just suck?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

He got better.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

I miss Wally West so much. I hope the TV show gets far enough for him to appear. Obviously it won't ever be far enough for him to be Kid Flash or actual Flash, but a cameo would be nice. Having Roy around didn't age Oliver much in Arrow. This is all true though. It's nice having Tim around in the Arkham series. Granted he manages to somehow be around the least of the entire Bat Family including estranged Nightwing and Alfred.
Bam: http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/468853-wally-west-joins-the-cws-the-flash

So they say the PC's getting the DLC next Tuesday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFFRzDdNz_g

quote:

Additional downloadable content becomes available next Tuesday, September 29th:
• Crime Fighter Challenge Pack #2: Grab this Crime Fighter Challenge Pack and receive various challenge maps for Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman and the Batmobile. This expansive challenge pack allows focused training in Freeflow Combat and Invisible Predator stealth incursion.
• GCPD Lockdown: Set after the events of Arkham Knight, play as Nightwing to stop the Penguin from breaking out of the Gotham City Police Department in this thrilling story pack.

Stay tuned for even more Batman: Arkham Knight downloadable content coming in October, including:
• Batman Classic TV Series Batmobile Pack: Travel back in time with the Batman Classic TV Series Batmobile Pack. This pack includes the 1960s TV Series Batmobile, Classic TV Series Catwoman Skin, Classic TV Series Robin Skin and two racetracks inspired by the Batman Classic TV Series.
• Catwoman's Revenge: Set after the events of Arkham Knight, prowl the night as Catwoman as she seeks her revenge on the Riddler with this story pack.
• Crime Fighter Challenge Pack #3: Get this Crime Fighter Challenge Pack to receive various combat and predator maps featuring Batman, Nightwing, Robin, and Azrael.
No mention of the Batgirl DLC, we better still be getting that one.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dogen posted:

Where does it say the PC is getting DLC?
Oops, my mistake. I misinterpreted a Blue's News post about both the PC version and the DLC, I guess they're not related. PC version's still apparently still in the perpetual "next few weeks".

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Countering was there in Origins, but they intentionally changed the timing of it to make Batman feel "less experienced" or something, and as a result it was a lot more finicky. Origins is the only Arkham game I only played through once because of the altered combat and lovely key remappings on the PC (only supported two-button mice), I didn't want to screw up my muscle memory for the main games. But now we'll see which timing the next non-Rocksteady game goes with.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Considering the source of that DLC list seems to be "some random guy on the WB Games forums" I'm not putting too much faith in it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, is there any series in which Mad Hatter isn't just creepy as all get out? I mean, really.
Well surely the campy 60's series' family-friendly version of Hatter isn't creepy, no sexual undertones, just another bank robber. How creepy could that get?

Oh, nevermind.

(At least no Hatter has worn a fedora)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It's nice to finally get the DLC, it's a shame so much of it is stuff I don't give a crap about like skins and Batmobile junk, but at least there's more replay value now without having to resort to swapping save files around. Now all that's left to hope for is that at least one of the upcoming story DLCs actually last longer than 10 minutes.

ExCruceLeo posted:

Finally beat it. Looked up info and found people were doing it in first person and that made it possible. No way I'm doing the AR for those. They don't count towards the 100% for the ending right?
Thankfully no, all the AR stuff just get you extra upgrade points and leaderboard e-cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

As one of the blessed few who's had a relatively smooth PC experience, I've been having a lot of fun with this game in the last few weeks, but not at all in the way I'm supposed to. I did another playthrough of the game getting all the tedious stuff out of the way and not touching any of the fun side-missions, and now I have save files I can keep restoring to keep taking down the militia posts and rescuing firemen and never have to deal with tanks or racetracks or any of the crap. I also copied out other save files along the way so I can go back and replay things like the Harley encounter or the Arkham Knight HQ without the interim, and it's made me realize what this game really could have benefited from is some kind of chapter-select system. I'm not sure how they could have made it work with the side-missions, but the key Arkham elements are still here and still good, they're just so spaced out between way too repetitive tanking. Being able to go back right to the fun encounters really increases the replay value. The finally-available challenge maps help, but they're just not as varied or lengthy as the in-game encounters.

Also the free roam character "mod" (really just an INI file that maps some keys to swap between existing character models) really adds a lot of missing variety, even if some of the other characters are kind of buggy. The DLC release has also kind of fixed the gimped versions of some of the other characters that were in the game at launch, Nightwing actually has a grappling gun now, and Catwoman can take down the big guys if you cheese them with your caltrops. I'd recommend anyone playing it on the PC try it out.

• Locked thread