Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is there a list somewhere of what the season pass will contain or is it just vague promises of more stuff? Pre-order bonuses are ok I guess. It's 30 bucks on steam and since I got the game free from Nvidia that doesn't seem like a terrible buy-in but I don't want to pay for junk either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terminally Bored posted:

People were asking about Harley DLC few pages back. If you got the game free with a nvidia card you don't get the preorder DLC, WB disabled it for the coupons somehow.

Bleh, I was wondering about that. I only played for about 10 minutes today and it ran fine on my rig. The Benchmark said I averaged 59fps at full settings but I didn't make any changes to the ini. It remains to be seen whether or not I have issues down the line though. It's a shame it's such a lovely port. The Steam reviews are absolutely savaging the game right now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My game runs ok but I may wait til this stuff is patched before getting too deep into it. I thought it didn't look so great in action compared to trailers and now I guess I know why.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Spikeguy posted:

Just saw this little snippet from Polygon on Metacritic.
"After Arkham Knight, Batman has been perfected — and the end result is the best game of this console generation."
Seems a bit early to be calling that.

Polygon is almost without exception hot garbage.

zen death robot posted:

I'd be pissed off if this wasn't free with my 970, as it is it's just kind of funny to see it as a "flagship" game of sorts to show off the hardware and it's missing features the consoles have and doesn't run all that great.

Maybe they're waiting for Windows 10 so they can show off how much DX12 speeds up Batman!

Yeah, I have a hard time getting really personally upset at the whole thing because I didn't pay for the game but I have a lot of empathy for people who did. It's a bummer to see something as anticipated as Arkham Knight land with the force of a wet fart on PC.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Flytrap posted:

I think I might be a dumb because I'm not sure what the curse here is.

No "I" in Knight.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I made the fps change in the .ini file and it seems to be running at pretty close to 60. I don't have an fps counter but it's very smooth. Still it doesn't look as good as I expected. I wonder if the missing features/textures are the culprit.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, PC fans, is it as bad as advertised? I've heard reports ranging from "sluggish, but okay" to "completely broken" and I'm not sure what to expect from my year old PC and GTX 770.

Mine runs alright but I seem to be in the minority. I unlocked the framerate (it's locked at 30 unless you change the ini file) and it fluctuates wildly between 60 and 20 depending on what's happening. I have a 970 for reference. No crashing or anything though. I just watched a comparison video and the PS4 version either looks the same or better in every single situation so right now it's hard to recommend anything but that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Phoix posted:

I've got it installed on an SSD and the framerate is still all over the place on a 970. The framerate while in the batmobile is straight-up unplayable most of the time though.

Same. I can run it at ~60ish during normal running around but the batmobile just absolutely tanks it, down into the 20s.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Poizen Jam posted:

I really want to play this game but the only platform available for me is Steam. I'm running an i7 950 and a 670gtx- guessing it would be pointless at this point in time? Seems even folks with top tier modern systems are struggling.

I'm not intimidated by config tweaks or anything if that's all it takes to fix, but if it's fundamentally broken I don't want a retread of Arkham Origins first few weeks on Steam.

Absolutely do not buy the PC version until something is done. Your specs are pretty close to the minimum and it doesn't run consistently or well on modern hardware. Thus far the response from WB has been "check your settings and set everything to 720p and low".

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Interestingly enough, playing like butter on my 760TI. All normal options on high (if applicable) and all the Nvidia shut turned off. No ini hacks either. It looks like poo poo compared to asylum and city, but still.

Do you have it installed to an SSD? I do and mine runs well, my friends who have the game and SSDs seem to be reporting it runs fairly well for them as well.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Aquasnake posted:

Fuuuuuck. Corner cover. I never thought of that. I feel so dumb now.

This game does have a problem with you having so many options you can't keep track well. I have a hard time remembering which number each gadget is. And you have like three different gadgets that gently caress with technology in different ways. It can be difficult to remember which gadget gently caress up drones vs guns vs people and so on.

I think this is a side effect of starting you off as fully geared up Batman. The game almost feels like an expansion pack because you start out fully loaded and expected to remember how to play. It's been a while since I've played an Arkham game so it felt like a bit of an uphill battle to learn Batman again.

EDIT: Am I the only one who got a chuckle from Batman stealing one of his old upgrades from the GCPD Evidence Room?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 25, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

cram me sideways posted:

I promise you it wasn't pulled due to performance issues as much as it was pulled due to Steam's refund policy.

It would have been cheaper for them to just release it later than release it lovely and have people get refunds. Steam still keeps their cut if I understand correctly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RadicalWall posted:

Just a heads up to those suffering through the PC port as I am, someone just figured out that the ingame AA feature breaks lighting effects and completely removes distant lights, so add that to the list of things that need to be fixed.

Current solution is turn ingame AA off and inject SweetFX for your AA solution.

Comparison Shots #1
Comparison Shots #2
Comparison Shots #3

That's absurd. I will be doing that when I get home today. Do you know what it does to performance by any chance?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RadicalWall posted:

If the benchmark is any indication (and it may not be) turning AA off bought me 1 FPS!

Which SweetFX profile are you using in those shots?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ometeotl posted:

I wonder how many more excuses Rocksteady can think of to evacuate an entire city of civilians.

This one was a pretty good reason but lol at evacuating 6 million people in 24 hours.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Holy poo poo turning off AA by itself makes this game look so much better on PC. AA on is a muddy, blurry mess. AA off I can actually see lights on objects in the distance now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Shumagorath posted:

It makes you wonder how WB was spending their money when CD Projekt can put out The Witcher 3 on PC and both consoles simultaneously as their first multiplatform launch and have the game run well on even ~4yr old machines.

CDPR is a real outlier in the industry though. They seem very concerned about the end user experience in general.

Grapplejack posted:

Lmao look at this bitch that wouldn't gently caress batman. What a homo.

yeah, you win sex with a man, that's as straight as it gets

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The texture issues in the PC version border on absurd from time to time. I was zipping around the city (grapple boost from the start rocks) and I landed in front of a couple billboards that were completely pixelated, like textures out of the original Half Life or something. It took nearly 10 seconds for the actual textures to load in while I was staring at them, enough time for me to call my wife in from the other room, say "look at this poo poo" and laugh about it. I'm installed to an SSD so I have no idea what could be causing it.

I really hope the PC fixes aren't months out, but I think I'm going to put it down til they are done. It seems like a great and fun game but I want to get the full experience when I play it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, if you can get in front and ram them even better. It's like 3x+ more damage than a missile shot for whatever reason.

I did the first AR challenge with the APCs and I ended up ramming one into two more and destroying all three. The batmobile makes a better battering ram than a tank.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an1i8KQokCQ

Red Hood Free Roam mod, man it sucks a ton that he's locked on the 10 minute DLC

I think it would be nice for the game to provide the ability to just free roam play as all the characters. I mean this game is pretty much a big sand box for punching mooks in faces anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is there a fix floating around for the awful texture pop in on the PC? I swear if I walk into a room certain textures will take up to 5-10 seconds to load while looking that them. I'm playing off an SSD and fairly new specs so I can't imagine it's that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

mrfishstick posted:

The current "fix" for the PC version is to wrangle a refund and buy a console version. Short of that being an option, it's pretty much pray for news of a patch in the next few weeks but so far it's been total radio silence on that front.

There are a few ini fixes floating around, I was just hoping maybe that was one of them. I got mine free with my 970 and I don't particularly feel like buying another copy so it's patience for me I guess.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure how you do that and make it both meaningful and fun, to be honest. I can't really see what civilians would add.

Batman could go full on Prototype and "knock out" citizens by grappling up the side of a building with grandma and throwing her off.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

khwarezm posted:

Is Scarecrow at all cool, interesting or intimidating in this game? He doesn't get jettisoned in favor of pointless bullshit halfway through I hope.

Scarecrow is my favorite part of the game, almost entirely on the back of John Noble's performance. Though to be fair, I'd rave about him reading a phone book.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

the patch worked well for me - on a 970 it's a bit better than unpatched with the .ini tweaks (which worked well for me). I don't really notice the rain any more but the AO is nice.

I think the patch worked really well. My textures seem to load with a lot less pop in (it still happens but resolved quickly) and it seemed to add the missing rain texture on the suit and batmobile. The enhanced rain still looks good. I have AA off still though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

plape tickler posted:

Is there another way to break soft wooden paneling other than the batmobile? Batclaw doesn't work and I don't get the prompt to break it when floating in front of it. Can't line up the batmobile either.

I usually just punch it or dive through it. I'm sure Explosive gel will work too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Took me a while to warm up to it but I really like the Batmobile and how it's integrated into the gameplay. The story missions force some creative use of it and I think that works well. Driving sort of clicked for me doing the Firefly stuff and now I use it all the time whenever I can. The downside to getting used to it is being locked off from the other islands for X amount of story but there's so much to do on Bleake and Magiani it's ok.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Broken Cog posted:

So where does the Arkham Knight get the funds for his war on Batman? The losses occurred must be in the billions, if military tech costs are anything to go by.

Scarecrow's Supervillain alliance paid for it, according to some random thug chatter.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kurtofan posted:

His quest in this game is actually pretty cool.

It looks like it should be but the first one bugged out for me. As soon as Batman grappled out, combat ended but the mooks stayed so I had to beat them up without them ever attacking Azrael. Also, Azrael seemed to have batman's identical moveset so I'm not sure if that's intended or what.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Beef Chief posted:

I rolled my loving eyes when I saw that the first Riddler test you do is a loving race, like of course they had no idea what to do with this thing so they had you do a beat the clock thing.

I feel like the races would have been better/more thematic if they involved the Clock King rather than the Riddler.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Really weird that you can't get XP by taking out random mooks on the street. Really changes the flow of the game. I'm doing way, way less fighting than I ever did in previous games.

I pretty much do it anyway because it's nice to break up the gameplay of easily gliding from one side of the city to the other. Sometimes you just want to swoop down and punch a face, you know?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Riddler challenges/trophies need to be cut down to about a quarter to half as many as there are, but make them involved. Make batman do crime scene reconstructions like when he was looking for Oracle and poo poo. Make them engaging because they sure as hell aren't now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gaz-L posted:

So, you want the number to be lower, but the process to still take the same time? :psyduck: Again, i really don't get people. I enjoy the little puzzles and the collection, it's the perfect thing to just shove a podcast on and chill out doing.

Do you not really understand why I might want each challenge to actually be a challenge? I could spend X hours flying around collecting 300 trinkets or I could spend the same time solving 50 involved, interesting puzzles.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I suppose I just assume the result of that would be complaints that the puzzles are bullshit and too hard and why the gently caress didn't Rocksteady just make a bunch of easier ones.

It probably boils down to me, yes, not understanding why people find the most painless (and rather fun) collectathon I've ever seen in a game so aggravating.

Hell, they even did what you want, the Catwoman puzzles ARE the involved ones.

Yeah, I mean you can't make everyone happy. The Catowoman puzzles are definitely fun. I just find item collection tedious on its own without a fun activity to back it up. There are so many other reasons to explore the city and drive/glide around, I just feel like Riddler Trophies don't need to be another.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Joe Gillian posted:

This game would've been so much cooler if Owlman were the Arkham Knight, voiced by James Woods.

I honestly can't think of a better idea than this.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Rocksteady just needs to make all character's playable in free roam or something.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

UP AND ADAM posted:

If you turn off motion blur in the ini file that improves framerate (but looks less cool). Turning off AA gives you better lighting and rain textures, and the top two Nvidia options also make the game run slow.

It's really amazing how much better the game looks without AA on PC. The city actually looks alive from a distance and the rain looks like rain. Smoke and fog seems to gently caress over systems no matter how good they are too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

"There are some grounds for optimism. If we've proved anything, at least we've demonstrated that we have a serviceable bare bones port - something akin to beta code, if you like. It is feature-complete and functional, albeit on selected hardware." I guess that's grounds for optimism.They followup by stating Rocksteady is directly involved in the port which is better than Iron Galaxy at this point, but given the issues they had getting any version to run well it may take a while to get anything done.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Serf posted:

What I don't get is this: why would the Arkham Knight (who knows Batman doesn't kill) opt for drones instead of just sticking troops in those tanks and rendering that big cannon on the Batmobile totally useless?

The same goons Batman gleefully slams into at 80MPH rendering them "unconscious"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I get that batman is a lone wolf and all but for the sake of the game, I wish he had a partner all the time. Maybe the story assigns one for a set piece and maybe you choose when free roaming but it's such a cool addition to the game and it's so restrictive in how it doles out the function.

• Locked thread