Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Problem description: Last night while trying to save an image off the internet that windows explorer claimed didnt have a file extension (dunno what that was about, it was just a picture of some forest outside Oslo from an article), my entire windows explorer froze, then everything froze except for the cursor, then I went afk and came back to a DOS readout saying a realtek PCI-E family controller had crapped out. I was too tired to bother taking a pic with my phone which I now regret, considering it a fluke. I booted it back up normally and started backing up some semi-important stuff I hadnt bothered backing up earlier, and then I got a BSOD halfway through trying to move the files. KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR 0x7A. My PC is from early 2011 and the boot/page file drive is a Corsair SSD Force Series F120, 120GB. I cant tell if this is straight indicative of a hardware failure or if it might just hopefully be some other garbage that I can fix, but I don't know how to be sure. I'm going to get a new drive and install Windows on it either way asap though

Debug from the BSOD: STOP:0x0000007A (0xFFFFF6FC4000CD28, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000E, 0x0000000170AC8860, 0xFFFFF88019A5BA0 *** rdyboost.sys - Address FFFFF880019A5BA0 base at FFFFF88001979000, DateStamp 4ce7982e

So far this crash has happened 2-3 times, all in the middle of trying to backup 4-8 gigs of crap like photos, movie files etc. to my other drive. Booting is fine and so is general usage, it seems to crap out when I try to save or move large quantities of data. Also my pictures library seems to have stopped working, it appears empty while in reality the subfolders are all full.

Not sure if I might also have a rootkit somehow, but I doubt it, I'd rather think it was hardware

Attempted fixes: Ran a rootkit scan with no results, need to figure out where to start troubleshooting this. just enabled minidump in case it BSODs again.

EDIT: Update: chkdsk now ran after it BSOD'd when I tried to start Skype. It did a bunch of operations removing and fixing crap. Not sure what to think of it. Going to try to get the chkdsk log file.

CHKDSK log: http://pastebin.com/8gv6773E

Recent changes: Nothing I can think of. Last hardware change was aquiring a second ram module identical to my other one a few months back, and then a graphics card update in 2013.

--

Operating system: 64-bit Win7

System specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core, 3,4Ghz, AM3, 8MB, 125W
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H, Socket-AM3
Memory: 2x Corsair Vengeance? DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
Drives: Boot drive: Corsair SSD Force Series F120, 120GB.
Storage drive: Western Digital Caviar 1TB
Display: Gainward GeForce GTX 650Ti BOOST 2GB
Sound: Integrated Realtek in mobo
Power: Corsair TX 650W PSU

The PC was built by Komplett in norway

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable ZIP doesn't have anime or ads) window for your SSD. Also verify that the system can complete at least one full pass of Memtest86+ without errors. Additionally, how full is the drive?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Thanks, I'll run the other one tomorrow. Both my drives are at 95% capacity right now

I actually managed to find an infection using malwarebytes anti-rootkit and remove it, and I haven't had a crash since (roughly 6 hours on-time) so I'm not sure what's up.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The "Reported Uncorrectable Errors" count is concerning. I'd definitely verify that your CPU temperature is normal and that the system can complete at least one full pass of Memtest86+ without errors. Definitely free up some space though if at all possible, SSDs aren't meant to be run more than 80% full. It shouldn't cause errors but isn't good for performance or the drive.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Getting a third HDD will help ease the load. I haven't had a crash since I removed that rootkit, by the way, but then again I haven't attempted any big operations either.

I'm going to run memtest86+ once I figure out how to get to my mobo's boot menu. It seems that my keyboard isnt being recognized until Windows starts somehow.

E: Scratch that, crashing like a motherfucker again.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 20, 2015

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Ok, it'd BSODing just from the internet browser trying to check its cache now. I think its safe to say that one or both of my drives are going to poo poo. I wonder what might have caused this.. maybe my PSU is hosed and has been slowly killing my disks or something. There are errors on the D drive as well according to the s.m.a.r.t. :smith:

Would it be possible to use this PC without crashing if I got a third drive and installed an OS on it? Or would attempting to get data out of the hosed drive still BSOD me?

E: Getting BSOD from crucial process or system operation termination now, 0x0F4. Great.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 20, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Did you check the CPU temperature and run the memory diagnostic? If you can't get the system to boot from a Memtest disk, you can run the Windows Memory Diagnostic from Start, Search, Memory, though it's less thorough. It seems likely that your SSD is dying and causing the problems you're seeing, but because the could also be caused by an overheating CPU or failing RAM or motherboard, that needs to be checked first to determine where the problem is. If you are concerned about the harddrive post a screenshot of its Crystal Disk Info window, but since it is showing as Healthy that doesn't seem to be the issue.

If your CPU temperatures aren't high (AMD CPUs error at 65C) and the memory diagnostic passes, I think you just have a dying SSD. Early SSDs were only as reliable as HDDs, so it's not too suprising that yours is failing, especially if it's been abused by being run over-full.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Windows' memory test freezes on 99% for a while and then finally ends up on a black screen. Doesn't seem like anything happens from there on. :/

I tried shutting it down and going through the event viewer, but there's no logs. Besides, the PC crashed before the event search can complete first time I tried.

None of my temps are abnormal. CPU temp is always really low cause I have a heavy Noctua fan.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It sounds like the memory test passed and then had an issue saving the results to the SSD. I'd disconnect it and install Windows to the HDD, see if it seems to work from there.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

How do you reckon I could get data out of the SSD in the future when I have a different boot drive?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

How do you reckon I could get data out of the SSD in the future when I have a different boot drive?
Connect it as a second drive and hope it works long enough to let you copy the files off, there really isn't much else to do.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Roger that. Here's the other disk's info, btw.. Doesn't look good either, if you ask me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That drive has no logged errors, it's past its expected lifespan (hence the Load/Unload Cycle Count showing 1), but other than that it looks fine. The actual count of errors (or rate, depending on the drive) is in hex in the Raw Values column on the right, the number in the Current column is a health indicator based on this value. It starts at 100 or 200 depending on the value, and counts down as errors are encountered or the drive ages. If the number in the Current column goes below the number in the Threshold column, you get a warning when you boot the machine up that the drive is failing. Typically though a failing drive will die completely before reaching this threshold, so you never really see that error in real life. On your D: drive none of the values that count errors have recorded anything.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Oh, for some reason I thought it counted UP :haw: I'm a loving idiot. That's reassuring, though, because I have a lot of crap on that drive I absolutely don't want to lose.

Thanks a ton for all the help, I learned a lot about maintenance and what to look out for in the future. Cant fix a failing disk except for getting rid of it, but at least I know what to do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Depending on the nature of the issue with your drive you might have some luck using Test DIsk/PhotoRec from a healthy drive. This can be useful if errors in recognizing the file structure (such as FAT corruption) are what is preventing you from accessing the drive in an OS/causing the BSOD's in the first place, or if it's too far gone to read from an OS at all. Two things to keep in mind though: this utility recovers only raw data based on file headers; things like directory structure and file names won't be recovered. The other thing is that as with any failing drive, there's a risk of damage to the drive/data loss if you put additional stress on it as this utility scans the drive byte-by-byte to recover data. If the information present on the drive is too important to risk losing, then a professional recovery service would be your best bet.

• Locked thread