Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable ZIP doesn't have anime or ads) window for your SSD. Also verify that the system can complete at least one full pass of Memtest86+ without errors. Additionally, how full is the drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The "Reported Uncorrectable Errors" count is concerning. I'd definitely verify that your CPU temperature is normal and that the system can complete at least one full pass of Memtest86+ without errors. Definitely free up some space though if at all possible, SSDs aren't meant to be run more than 80% full. It shouldn't cause errors but isn't good for performance or the drive.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Did you check the CPU temperature and run the memory diagnostic? If you can't get the system to boot from a Memtest disk, you can run the Windows Memory Diagnostic from Start, Search, Memory, though it's less thorough. It seems likely that your SSD is dying and causing the problems you're seeing, but because the could also be caused by an overheating CPU or failing RAM or motherboard, that needs to be checked first to determine where the problem is. If you are concerned about the harddrive post a screenshot of its Crystal Disk Info window, but since it is showing as Healthy that doesn't seem to be the issue.

If your CPU temperatures aren't high (AMD CPUs error at 65C) and the memory diagnostic passes, I think you just have a dying SSD. Early SSDs were only as reliable as HDDs, so it's not too suprising that yours is failing, especially if it's been abused by being run over-full.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It sounds like the memory test passed and then had an issue saving the results to the SSD. I'd disconnect it and install Windows to the HDD, see if it seems to work from there.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

How do you reckon I could get data out of the SSD in the future when I have a different boot drive?
Connect it as a second drive and hope it works long enough to let you copy the files off, there really isn't much else to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That drive has no logged errors, it's past its expected lifespan (hence the Load/Unload Cycle Count showing 1), but other than that it looks fine. The actual count of errors (or rate, depending on the drive) is in hex in the Raw Values column on the right, the number in the Current column is a health indicator based on this value. It starts at 100 or 200 depending on the value, and counts down as errors are encountered or the drive ages. If the number in the Current column goes below the number in the Threshold column, you get a warning when you boot the machine up that the drive is failing. Typically though a failing drive will die completely before reaching this threshold, so you never really see that error in real life. On your D: drive none of the values that count errors have recorded anything.

• Locked thread