Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Question for those who own the game on 2 platforms. I own the game on ps4 with heavensward (CEs for both) if I bought the game on steam so I could play on my laptop sometimes. What would happen if I just had the vanilla game? Would I just not be able to access the expansion areas/jobs or would it not work at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Converting into a republic is supposed to undercut the power of people who control all the money... HOW, exactly?

They have to spend more money to influence the masses as opposed to just each other.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Grimace posted:

I really would have liked to have played FFRK, but I don't have a smart phone. Would have been nice if they would have also released that on 3DS or Vita or something, but I guess it just wouldn't lend itself well to handhelds?

Can always grab an android emulator and play it on your PC.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

vOv posted:

Honestly they just need to make it so you literally can't progress in the MSQ past maybe 40 or 50 without your job stone equipped.

Or hell, 30 because c'mon.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's mostly worth it for gilgamesh and ultros imo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Shy posted:

What do I need to level additionally as a white mage? Someone mentioned swiftcast, anything else?

Arcanist for Virus and Eye for an Eye. Not NEARLY as essential as Swiftcast but it adds a nice buff and debuff to your arsenal.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I still can't believe there's even a debate about cleric stance

Yeah, we all know it's a waste of an ability slot at this point.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It also removes any sort of choice from the equation. When one choice is superior, or in this case necessary above all others, it's not good design.

Why have all these materia choices when you're gated into just slapping all accuracy gear and nothing else?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

AST isn't bad I just wish they did more to make it more...consistent. SCH and WHM both have abilities that proc based on chance but AST's entire gimmick is around chance and if the luck isn't going your way you feel powerless.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Truga posted:

But after I toggle cleric stance on I swap it out for aero in sastasha :(
At that level your int and mnd are basically the same because almost all your gear is for all disciple of magic classes, making cleric stance kinda moot.
MND doesn't really pull ahead till around mid 40s with your AF gear, and the occasional dungeon drop.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

That I did not know. Disregard, I suck.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Grimes posted:

What's the main difference between the goon guilds? I see on ffgoons it recommends new players join Third Party Tools. Does it matter, much?

Not really. PBC is a little more high end game but you can find players to help you at all content levels in all of the guilds.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

URL grey tea posted:

Fun facts for life. Speaking of Amdapor tricks, it's fun to watch people get confused when you dispell the Gremlins Misery debuff by using /rally or /comfort. The debuff doesn't really do much but it's funny.

Whaaaaaat?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Gremlins do a debuff. It makes you take extra damage, but can't be Esuna'd. You remove it by using /rally on the afflicted target.

I appreciate little mechanics like this. Like that one thing where you had to kneel to not get OHKOed.

I'm a whm, I'm familiar with the debuff it just blew my mind that worked.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

So much of how FFXI was played was not how it was designed and the player base crammed that style in anyway.

I don't think the devs intended us to hoof it to Jueno at level 20 with walking murder all around us but welp.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I used to be an honest healer cause that was my role in other rpgs. Once I got over that and accepted I can dps, it exponentially increased my fun. Dropping divine seal and then asylum, regeneration and medica 2 before swapping to cleric stance to drop some sick Holys is so satisfying. And you feel like a champ when you dance in and out to drop dps and cures as needed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Back in the day RDM was the desired healer in high level content due to refresh and convert.

This came as a bit of a disappointment to people who thought they were gonna be a sick sword swinger and spell slinger.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I know your gut instinct is to min/max the quest levels but don't. They do not give enough experience for them to really matter.

My horrible min/max gut instinct? Get all classes to 15. Now I'm working on getting ones I like to 30. Having everything on one character and the relatively slow progress of the Grand Company ranks has somehow convinced me to do this.

I hope you have something to 60 first otherwise you're not really min-maxing, since once you hit 60 other classes you level get an xp boost.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Philip Rivers posted:

PUP was so fun and so cool in concept but as the kids used to say, lolpup

All the DRGs cheered the day it came out.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Truga posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but why not just make a new game for the same-ish budget?

Also, we need more job stones, not less. The smn/sch thing owns, even if I don't like smn. A lot of the same skills, completely different role.

The problem with that is how the stat allocation system means you have to make a conscious choice between which class you prefer to play, reset everytime you play a different one, or accept you're making one better at the expense of the other.

The stat allocation system can go too because it's such a ridiculous no-choice in any class.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Lalas own and it is a constant battle for absolute supremacy amongst the races between them and the roegadames

Actually Lalas always win that fight sorry.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I need that giant moogle for moogle themed room.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Canceling the sub will remove any remaining time you've paid for, so don't do that.

No it doesnt. If it did, it doesn't now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Honestly, the idea of creating a single player FFXI game for those who didn't get to experience it when it came out isn't a bad idea, provided that they make the play style not awful from a single player perspective. But the fact that they're keeping it mobile only with a less than reputable dev as opposed to SE's usual strategy of releasing it on PSN / steam / mobile devices shows they're probably going to gently caress it up.

Everyone says they wish they could experience the story single player but I feel like the reality is the novelty of an MMO with a story wouldn't shine as bright since it's a lot more common now.

Additionally I think the fact that it could be weeks between cutscenes made it feel more powerful because it took a lot of work and it was an accomplishment. If you could barrel through it it'd feel a lot less impressive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Especially since, like most event stuff, it will probably be really prevalent for like two weeks and then everyone will just start chasing the next fad in game. When was the last time you saw somebody using a FFXIII weapon?

I still see a lot of lightning clones running around :(

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I for one welcome our new moogle overlords.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Edit: nvm need to pay attention to page numbers lol.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

Ironically, you need to get more cards.

More specifically there are thresholds you have to meet (I wanna say 20, 40 and 60 cards?) That raise the cap on what cards you can use.

It's very frustrating since the NPC difficulty curve is so wonky.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I more mean just reaching that much, how much time does it take? I get stressed out because I'm not done with MSQ and not feeling like it's worth the time

Finish the MSQ before stressing yourself with other distractions.

GloomMouse posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing this thing. How much can be done solo?
Very solo friendly, you can, and are expected, to do the MSQ alone except for dungeons, which has a convienant party finder systen, or you can sign onto a goon guild and never be short on help.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Please give me an example where, at your last job, people tried to have fun and how you dealt with this challenge.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

zolthorg posted:

this is a loving interview question
if im trying out for a static and someone tells me to tell them about a time i had to deal with a difficult dps id leave

but raid groups dont do that
ever
so why are we still talking about this

Please give an example of when you couldn't keep your composure in a thread and how you dealt with it. How would you deal with it in the future?

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 5, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Close it forever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Everything about the Palace of the dead seems loving amazing.

Full interview:

Got a link to this for easy quoting to friends?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Edit: nvm

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Willias posted:

Yeah, this probably gets to the heart of it. Players consider themselves one or the other, and tend to use the other as an insult more often than not. I have no idea what midcore is, seems to be a way of avoiding saying "bad" but you think of yourself as more than casual.

"God forbid people know I enjoy video games :ohdear:"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

FFXIV end game is very casual friendly and you absolutely in no way need to do a static raiding group or anything to keep up. There's a few options to obtaining high ilvl gear and while the breadth of it can be intimidating at first you'll very quickly sort out what you can and can't be bothered to do.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Vermain posted:

This would actually look even weirder than the current situation. Just imagine doing Power Slash while your legs are flailing around like loving Gumby.

Yoshi p hire this man.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

wereboat posted:

I only erp in the gnath glamour so i can do both.

Same but so I can eat my mates head after.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SL the Pyro posted:

I went about cooling down and loving around after the godawful grind that was that crafting set.

The result was... this.

You're doing God's work my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Verge posted:

I must be doing the ffgoons thing wrong. My character name there is Verge, my account name is Verge (on both) what gives?

The authenticator is borked. An admin can manually confirm you once they pop their head in here.

• Locked thread