Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Klades posted:

It's got all that and 32GB of onboard storage. Even if 14 came out on the switch I'd be hard pressed to install it on there in more ways than one.

It can also take SDCards as additional storage, but with those the load times would probably not be great.

It might happen, and I don't think a Switch version would hold the game back too terribly much, but it does feel like a long shot. I suspect it'll depend on how Switch does by March of 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ruta posted:

Yeah, for some reason I've seen a resurgence of Eos recently too. I'd be interested to hear the logic behind it. I mean, I know sks/sps is kind of weak on a lot of DPS jobs, but it still seems unlikely to me that the heal skills Eos brings to the table are really going to save that much cleric stance uptime. Especially without a lot of coordination. Usually, when I see a SCH with Eos, I assume I've got an honest SCH, and I'm often right.

AST is currently pretty fun, though. It's what I switched to in 3.4. I kind of prefer DPS outside of savage, though.

The main problem is that Heavensward nerfed Selene's attack speed buff into the fuckin' dirt compared to what it was in 2.x. It still depends on a few factors, but if you Are Good, then Eos being better at covering the healing leaving you (and in raid situations, the other healer) open to DPS more really will result in higher overall DPS than what the buff would provide. It's tragic, but it is what it is.

That said, in earlier waves of content, Selene has had a very useful niche as an AoE debuff remover who can help cover pubbies being dumb. Both fairies have their uses.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of Yda, what was the actual reason for her to conceal her identity? Was it literally just "I want to be my dead sister?" The whole thing feels like sloppy writing to me. Like, they didn't want to show her Circle of Knowing tattoo in the trailer because that would immediately give it away, but then they needed to come up with a reason why she no longer has the tattoo.

The idea is that Yda and her dad were both huge symbols of rebellion and hope - even the original Yda hadn't walked away from the cause, and mostly went to Sharlayan (the Eorzean one) to get Lyse to safety, and she fell in with Louisoix & crew almost on accident. Lyse apparently never felt like she could be the symbol her sister was, so yes, she wanted to "be" her sister so that the hope of the Resistance wouldn't falter as badly - but Papalymo, the man who really looked out for her all this time and thought the plan was dumb and unnecessary and that Lyse could be every bit the symbol of hope her family members were, dying has hardened her resolve to be herself.

It's still a little shaky, but I can follow the train of thought easily enough.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 28, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Velthice posted:

Zenos has the XII legion, so based on the previous pattern, my guess is that Zenos is basically gonna be Vayne Solidor. The setup pretty much perfect, with Ala Mhigo standing in for Rabanastre[/spoiler]

Also just saying, I am going to be down for Vayne 2.0 because Vayne was a cool dude, though it seems like Zenos is way more of a dick.

Also question: does anyone have the JP kana spelling for [spoiler's] name? I'm curious about something.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Xun posted:

What are good sources of scripture? I'd like to get to i250 for some bird farming. Currently at i232 and working on my kinna weapon.

Scrip can be had from doing the various roulettes each day - you can easily amass 150+ per day. Even just doing EXDR over and over gets you 50 a pop, but that wears the soul a bit.

Doing Savage Alex also provides scrip, but you're a little low level for that. A9 is easy to beat though and pounding it over and over for 30 scrip a pop would be pretty fast.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

victrix posted:

Is it odd of me to see that as a good sign for the game in general?

Not at all, it's very good. Advertising during Rasslemaniacs, even the NXT portion, ain't cheap, and it's another reflection of just what SE is willing to invest into the game now (or what the game's continued sales etc. are allowing for, especially now that the monster that is FFXV is out the door).

If we actually get something during Mania itself, I think my hair will catch fire.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Thundarr posted:

If haven't kept up with wrasslin for a long time. If they brought out somebody in a Godbert mask to explosively suplex everyone in the roster one after the other, would it be Brock Lesnar or Kurt Angle?

If anyone did that it'd be Bill Goldberg (who's back for one final cruise before retiring for good). The dude is already basically Godbert IRL.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Double post, but holy poo poo, we really are getting substantial XIV ads during Mania itself. This is nuts - and will expose the game to literally millions of eyeballs. We should probably brace for another big wave of newbies :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have no idea if Kofi actually knows what a Red Mage is, but gently caress me if he doesn't have the part nailed down convincingly, with the jaunty hat angle and the raised eyebrow and the unsubtle positioning of the sword.

I'm pretty sure Austin would have at least explained it to Kofi and Ettore - they're friends IRL in addition to working together.

Sadly, Rasslemaniacs itself veered between being very good and a bit of a wet fart, but the New Day were a shining beacon of light in it and I think the eyeball time for FFXIV will help.

They really needed to explain to Michael Cole (ringside announcer) what "moogle" and "chocobo" are, though. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

It is extremely likely that Stormblood is going to be Something Special, even if the lead-in isn't quite as ~*exciting*~ as 2.55 was (and, to be frank, I prefer the 3.5 storyline because they didn't write themselves into corners they need to weasel their way out of this time).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

It's quite possible that the Ixal are descendants of Iksalions who were deployed beyond Azys Lla when the Fourth Umbral began and the island went into slumber mode. Allag used chimerae for a lot, so it's entirely possible some were out in the wider world when everything went to pot for Allag.

Asimo posted:

Nah, just the Ixal. As far as we know so far anyway. They were explicitly supposed to be aerial soldiers (and Garuda was the general in charge of the division, though the primal version obviously has... little in common), but the Ixal were the failures who were just discarded.

Yeah their whole existence is pretty sad.

Fishing also implies fairly heavily that Lalafells are some kind of Allagan genetic experiment run amok, but there haven't been any documents recovered detailing their origins just yet.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 12, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Shy posted:

Oh look XI is 67% off, I think I'm going to try it. Talk me out.

It's no longer getting substantial content updates and the interface was never really as fully modernized as it should have been.

The second expansion is really cool story-wise, though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

The EU nightmare continues.

Sadly, unless they literally place the servers in New York City, ping times are going to get atrocious due to a combination of physics and the general slapdash nature of U.S. routing.

Also I guess I'm back just in time to hop in, yay.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

:same:

I still have two or three fantasias remaining, I'm half tempted to go dragonwaif, but then I'd have to rename to be ~lore appropriate~.

Welcome to my special, special hell.

Anyway having played as five races to date I can say with certainty that potatoes have the best overall animations by a lot, in terms of both personality and technical execution; this is helped by a lot of their animations being actually new from 2.0 onward (taters got a massive overhaul of things like their run cycle compared to 1.x). Dragon waifs are also up there, although they can sometimes be a little taciturn when they should be more expressive. Catgirls are odd - while their "original" animation set which was inherited/slightly modified from 1.x can be pretty generically cute and a bit boring, their more recent animations and whatnot are absolutely top-shelf. The power of /spectacles alone is ensuring I'm actually going to remain a goddamn catgirl for the foreseeable future, and 2013 me would have found that idea completely ludicrous.

edit: like, seriously:

Stills don't even begin to do it justice and I wish I wasn't so terminally loving bad at gifs. It's the exact attitude I've wanted out of my huge dork of a character all this time.

Bonus BLM sass, which is shared but also looks goddamn excellent:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 18, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

That's good because you don't have to!

PotD is a bit less of a slog with people who know what they're doing, though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I still love that this questline is subtly trying to get new players to realize they can use all of their kit and not just heal.

Sadly, it was probably too subtle. :v:

Also you DPS-heal not because you don't want to be ~hoenesto~ but because you respect your own drat time, never mind everyone else's. I still maintain that a lot of hardcore honest healers haven't actually tried to maximize their DPS on trash especially, and then kept an eye on the clock comparing a no-DPS run to a DPS one. Especially when dealing with pubs who might not be good at DPS themselves.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Tsurupettan posted:

I made a terrible mistake and left Excal a few years ago to play with friends on terrible, dead, backwater servers. I made a fresh character on Excal tonight because I didn't feel like paying $28 to transfer and fantasia my old character (and I guess I can still play with my friends occasionally). If there's any low level people who are doing the story and want to run dungeons together, hit me up! I'm Sam Raimi in game and I'll tank for you.

bizzitch i will do lowbie things with you any time you want, hit up Shirin Maanpako and let us do the thing

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

vOv posted:

One of my favorite bits from it is that the Monk AF2 set opens up your chakras and will literally kill you within minutes by bleeding you dry of aether if you're not trained enough to control it.

Mine is the absolute confirmation that yes, two of the three cities involved in the War of the Magi were founded and/or majorly supported by Lalafells and the whole thing was, in part, potatoes trying to take over the world.

I half wish for those aforementioned stat sheets because the Hydaelyn setting is wild, y'all.

on that note,

Memnaelar posted:

Really torn on buying that Encyclopedia Eorzea book. I realize it's just a big fluffy lore book, but it looks pretty beautiful. Hard to tell if the writing's all that compelling though. $22 in shipping from the Squeenix store is also a hard swallow.

Anyone have any strong feelings on it that might push me over the edge one way or another?

Obviously, going to chime in with "it's worth it if you like FF14 already". It's well-written enough and it's got a lot of lore that they otherwise just don't have time to fit into the game. There's even a few teases for things that seem to be relevant to Stormblood (like some Au Ra stuff and what their possible origins are).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm actually excited to see just how the whole "Amdaporian and Mhachi refugees teamed up to found Red Magic" is gonna work out.

I wonder if they'll ever do an Encyclopedia Eorzea Vol 2 with info on Ala Mihgo and the Far East.

Ferne openly discussed wanting this at Fanfest, so

(I think we might have to wait until at least the very end of 4.x to justify it, though)

BrightWing posted:

Mach, Ampadir, and...Nym? The ancient places that birthed the magic classes of the game if so.

Also lol Nym got wrecked bad.

Yes, Mhach was founded by the people who eventually became the Dunesfolk, and Nym was explicitly a majority-Plainsfolk town (and they both bailed when the flooding came and returned once Limsa became a thing).

Also every city got wrecked pretty bad, but having Ozma literally thrown at the city did Nym no favors.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Xun posted:

Why would maxing out crafting be moot soon? Or does that mean getting BiS gear and stuff instead of leveling to max?

Going for max level crafting, they mean. Right now there's no point in grinding out the high end stuff unless you want it for looks.

In general there's no call for flogging any of the content super hard right now unless you know you want to give a class a leg up on Stormblood.

(Meanwhile I may or may not be sitting on tickets for a RDM weapon. :v: )

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Everyone's VAs changed in HW. Nearly all of them change for the better, Alphinaud was jarring but ends up being real good, and tragically, the one character whose voice gets straight up worse is Merlwyb. :(

Colin Ryan has been goddamn crushing it as Alf and Carina Reeves is Literally The Perfect Tataru. And Robyn Addison (Shtola) and Peter Bramhill (Thancred) have both really grown into their roles. I really hope they decide to stick with the London cast for the long haul, they've all gotten super good.

I'll be curious to see how Yugiri v3 shakes out, though - the new actress (whose name I don't actually recall offhand, she's obv. super new) is putting a different spin again on it compared to the LA actress and to Sian Blake, who was trying to make her a little more obviously "foreign" with somewhat mixed results, though I ultimately still liked it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Where does this opinion keep coming from? White Mages and Astros come through pretty much unscathed on the dps front, with only the Cleric Stance bonus damage having much of an effect. The new potency on Stone 4 looks like it will come out ahead. Then we can double-dip Assize and Earthy Star.

Every job in the game looks like they lose a dot, so losing aero 1 / combust 1 isn't a big deal relative to everyone.

Seriously, it's mostly fine. We're just being moved over to a more direct-nuke-heavy method of damage dealing (you think Broil 2 comes out of nowhere?) SCH AoE got nerfed some, but poo poo, anyone who's played SCH these past six months in EXDR knew that was coming. With the change to MND-based damage, I understand why they want us to do less rolling dot DPS while healing. If we want damage, we gotta do it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN ETHER IN MY MOUTH. ITS FINAL FANTASY XIV STORMBLOOD AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE BEST CLASS, RED MAGE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME ASCIAN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE EORZEA''S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY GUILD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY GUILD CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SPELLS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY INN ROOM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I QUEUE FOR DUTY FINDER

This, but completely and totally without irony. I practice my Veraero hard every day.

I really need to see if I fall too hard in love with RDM to actually heal for this expansion. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Harrow posted:

(RDM looks like a lot of fun and I will play it but if they'd managed to make it like a cool melee-range healer or a damage-to-heal healer I'd have been way into that)

I want Dancer so badly :smith:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Red Mage LB3 called "Vermillion Scourge". cool name, sad it isn't Meltdown though

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they want to keep Merton in their back pocket for a later BLM/RDM ability down the road.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yearbook time.

Yololo Yolo
Voted most likely to change their race and name at the drop of a hat
"No, I'm going to stick with it this time, I swear!"

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they only finalized the japanese patch notes today or yesterday

Yeah, the patch notes are going to be a rather last minute thing because little adjustments were probably being made until about Monday or so. This is always a stressful time for the TL team.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I thought both SAM and RDM would start in Uldah?

Samurai, I believe, has been stated to start in Limsa. RDM starts in Ul'dah.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Erg posted:

I would have guessed SAM in Gridania so that every city had 4 jobs but I guess not

At this point I think they're openly abandoning that conceit, since a lot of the new jobs have origins outside of the starting cities.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Please don't starve to death playing catgirls & potatos, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

actually everyone who plays a potato should starve themselves to death, please

But potatos have superior animations, therefore they are the best

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress me. That Susano fight is no goddamn joke. SUPER aoe heal intensive and the DPS checks aren't anything to scoff at. It seems like 75% of the groups are failing though because it's E3 and you have people who have never played or are trying new classes or are just generally bad. Still, it's going to be a ball buster.

My group wiped twice, then on our third and final attempt, we got the boss down to about 10% when the tank took a bad hit and went down. I thought all was lost as everyone was going down fast. Then, right as it was just me and one DPS left, LB3 ticked full. I was able to bust off a healer LB3 and we went on to win.

It was probably one of the most intense experiences of my life since you also have like 200 people watching you play. The people watching went loving wild when we clawed back to victory.

When Yoshi showed it off, it seemed like it had at least one big gently caress-off cleave. Is a lot of the AoE just unavoidable or were people standing in bad?

• Locked thread