Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
i'mr eady to game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
are crafters/gatherers also limited by the 2.55 gate? or can they keep doing their thing

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I'm a fool of a fool and the siren call of not having to gently caress with materia again, at least for a while, has me interested in the crafting game once more

Seems like leveling is the name of the game for now. Are leves and the super leves an okay way to go about it still or has a more efficient way been rooted out?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

abraham linksys posted:

Don't know about y'all, but I'm spending this downtime calling my dad to wish him a happy father's day :colbert:

sweet min maxing man :cheers: :gamer life: :dads wait till downtime:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

flosofl posted:

If you're getting 5006 errors, try connecting to a Japan Data Center, back out, and then connect to Primal.

Of course now I'm waiting a queue 240 deep.

a potentially easier solution is also to flush your DNS cache by going to your command prompt and typing in this sort of..hm...how to describe it...it's sort of like a "pass code" (command) for your "game genie" (computer)

ipconfig /flushdns

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
So my net connection has been degrading bit by bit over the past couple of weeks until even with wtfast I can't guarantee doing something as simple as keeping greased lightning up on a stationary target

The lag presents itself mostly through me hitting an ability, watching it go off, and then the server deciding that I didn't do that and moving me backward in rotation. And then sometimes big spots of rubber band lag.

I'm gonna call the ISP today to try and get it fixed but if anyone has any idea what the problem could be so that I could better describe it to them Id appreciate it

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Just hit the churning mists and I'm already getting bored of leveling and side quests :sigh:

I like new abilities but leveling is the blurst.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Is excal opening at all these days? I have a pal wanting to come over

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
All these monks whining about how purification is useless unconsciously outing themselves as horrible non fracture users

Smgdh

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

vOv posted:

The KotL boss music is one of my favorite pieces from the soundtrack of all time. It just goes with the fight so well.

Agreed, every time it's reprised I get a little shiver

It's so dang good, it's got such a wide emotional scope but it's still 100% coherent. Good song, good fight.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
i never beat t13 but i'm going to insist everyone be BiS before attempting the weak rear end ex whale primal

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think Bismark EX is decently enjoyable, too bad it's extremely easy and there's no real reason to run it more than once.

I like that it is a dps check in the first minute of the fight that makes sure you have at least some idea of what you're doing

It is a shame that dps won't really know who's loving up unless they run third party tools that break the tos.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

KaneTW posted:

Not really. We did it with 170 weapons and like 150 average ilvl

Probably because they tuned it to allow players with optimized rotations to beat it with mediocre gear, which lets other players try to bridge the gap with better gear

It's still one of the more strict dps checks I've seen outside of coil, it's just not a gear check.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

knowing who the problem is doesn't actually change anything, because 'being bad' isn't currently a vote-kickable offense and that's unlikely to change

Most people, by nature, don't want to be the person holding the group back.

Like everyone already said, groups serious about tackling progression content that requires certain numbers being hit already have parsers and evaluate themselves.

But I think it would be nice to give dps something to measure their progress with outside of terms of service breaking third party tools. Maybe a parser that only the player could see, or a training dummy that told you how much damage you did after a set time.

I've never experienced the joys of wow style dps epeen fights and I don't want that to happen here, but I've also done enough Bismarck ex groups with good people that want to do well but aren't pushing out the numbers and are confused as to why they're failing that I can't help but feel There's Got To Be A Better Way

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

abraham linksys posted:

Are DPS queues for Neverreap/Fractal 20+ minutes on other servers, or is this something special about Faerie? Like I was all excited that they made grinding out Tomestones and gear so easy in this expansion but I'm stuck in queues that are literally longer than the dungeons half the time.

Everyone I ask about it just seems to say "welp, DPS :shrug:" but I don't know if there are more efficient ways I could be getting gear or what. Only other thing I can think of is to play something else while queueing

Play final craftasy 14 while queuing

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

"What's your dps, I know you can see it"

Just leave this poo poo alone, the only way to keep it from being toxic as gently caress in game is to make it bannable to even talk about it in the game. I had enough of it in wow, and it's probably the biggest selling point this game has.

you people constantly make fun of tanks not using flash and healers not in cleric stance, because that poo poo is evident. everyone sees it, everyone talks about it

you give dps one way to accurately measure their progression and you think the sky is gonna fall jfc dude

also lol at this picture you are painting of goons in purple tights dancing around a frightened DPS cowering in a corner, snapping their fingers in unison, 'hey what's your number, don't hide it from me, a dps figure is what we want to see'

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
like, let's be clear. we all benefit from parsers. you might not personally use a parser but if you are dps or have ever played with a dps you have benefited from the knowledge that parsing endows. if you've ever run a dungeon or tackled any new content from me you've benefited from parsers. if you've ever looked at a rotation guide, odds are you're benefiting from parsers. they make class mechanics less opaque and give players the ability to see what works and what doesn't (when they're all working properly), and these are good things!

all I want is to give people the ability to look at their numbers, in a more or less private way, that doesn't involve them using illegal third party tools that they might not even know they exist, so that I never, ever have to have an awkward conversation with someone about their numbers

or we could just resign ourselves to only doing content when the echo drops, that throws dps checks right the frick out the window :v. I've never seen a T12 group get five bennu post echo, and that was one of the hardest DPS checks I've ever seen in the game

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

thank you, it was a very funny picture you painted

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Like, if parsers ever become a built in thing or whatever, yeah people are going to make PF groups with redic dps requirements or whatever, but they already do this with requiring higher ilevels than needed so it basically changes nothing. And you wouldn't want to join those parties anyways.

People are already setting bismarck ex PF groups at BiS or near BiS ilevels, when the fight is doable with a solid weapon and vendor trash, and everyone is already blaming each other for crap dps. It's healthy and good

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Boogaleeboo posted:

Start resigning, the producers are fairly open about thinking people that want meters are poo poo tier human beings that deserve no respect. Like you could make the most logical and reasoned argument in the world and it doesn't matter because the people making the game don't give a gently caress. This isn't a discussion, because one side isn't listening.

We already have meters and live in a world of meters, I just want the common man to be able to benefit as well

I am of the people, that way

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Now do it on something that isn't a target dummy.

Lol

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

oh what's that, it's just people tackling the most current content in the game with nothing more than respect for each other, dedication, and a shared, genuine desire to git gud

Cid's Angels, the catch up linkshell, has surpassed some genuine statics in tackling progression content. And while there's no way for this to not come off as self aggrandizing, the fact of the matter is that the membership of this silly linkshell is stellar, and continues to amaze and surpass expectations every day, thanks to both the experienced players helping the scrubs out, and the scrubs being so curious and ready to learn.

And with Alexander raiding making it ever kinder to swap people in and out of progression groups without hurting loot drops and etc, I expect us to get better and better.

The gist is that high end raiding in this game is freaking fun as heck, and the more people we get doing it, the more fun and success is shared by all, regardless of whether they can fit into a static's schedule or not.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Man I'm bummed as heck about the tuning here. I'm not sure I'll enjoy harder coil tuning in savage but freaking Ravana ex was theoretically harder than normal mode?

Ah well.

Guess I'll git gud

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Rei_ posted:

Calm down nerd

I'm Gucci

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Tenzarin posted:

I'm interested in what happens now that the main raid is raid finder in ff14. Will the population die because the game is too easy and the carrot on the stick is hanging to low?

As long as they keep introducing echo into the savage mode or whatever then most people should stay pretty happy.

It'll be hard enough to be fun but flexible enough that you don't have to be the hardest of hardcore to do content more challenging than ex primals

Like every difficulty in every game there's a sweet spot for each individual and so far the game has been pretty good at accommodating all groups

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

bonewitch posted:

50-sync'd will be exactly the same difficulty, at 60 and i180+ it would be hilariously easy

You still have to manage meteors, elementals, and getting half the party knocked into the wall during divebombs is still bad

But you probably only get one DB phase and top tier dps can maybe even skip it entirely ?!

I think it'll remain significantly difficult well into the future synced or no. Bahamut on the other hand, I could see becoming absolutely trivialized through overgearing and Echo

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Fancy Corndog posted:

Things FFXI did better than FFXIV:
-Auction House
-Party members were less ephemeral so people talked and became friends (or enemies)
-Blue Mage
-Galkas??

Pf Raids are the new dunes. I've made more online friends by meeting friendly and good natured people tackling hard content than I ever did in xi. And unlike leveling where it's super hard to stay synced raid tiers are more permanent and it's easy to feel a sense of community and get to know people

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Vahalla posted:

What is it about OF safaris that irritate people? If you don't like his posts then put him on ignore like some people do Belzac and move on.

If you didn't want to read lovely opinions posted by morons why the gently caress did you pay :10bux: to post here?

shortly before my edith passed, leaving me alone to continue along this mortal coil, she told me something. maybe it was in a moment of weakness, or perhaps clarity. maybe both. she told me: you always seem so disappointed by the world, and i'm worried that you won't find your way out after i'm gone. in the moment it was very easy to be brave, and comforting. but as the months have come and gone, and I see her favorite marigolds finding the crescendo of their final descent, i can't help but think that everything that was good and kind about me withered with her.

which is why i'm seeking a petit au ra maiden to be my new wife, face must be "skype friendly", able to support two accounts, and be horse clan aligned, I cannot pay you

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Rand Brittain posted:

The best thing about lalafells is how everybody takes them completely seriously and nobody in the game ever treats them as children or adorable or in any way less worthy of serious consideration than, say, a roegadyn.

The worst thing about lalafells is that I can't figure out a way to make the above rule compatible with a flat prohibition on talking about them in any kind of sexual context.

fear over being associated with creepy pedophiles has destroyed your brain

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Sendo posted:

No, the new monk skills were just poorly thought out and form shift makes the rest of them redundant for almost all current content outside of Ravana Ex.

I got to use purify legitimately in A4 , the dream is still alive

Also elixir field owns, forbidden chakra is pretty good. gently caress tornado kick. Even when you do it right it's not very satisfying and the only time I've used it while buffed is Ravana ex burn phases.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't know if I should feel good or bad about being 2nd in dps as a paladin in an Alexander PF group. I don't even have a Ravana weapon yet.

They need to fix healer accuracy so they can get in on the fun. I want the concept of an off healer to be a thing

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't think AST and DRK are underpowered or whatever. Maybe I'll eat my words in savage Alex when one of our healers and I are forced to go PLD/SCH or something but while I think both could use a tiny buff or something I don't think they're in a terribly bad place.

Goons are whiny as poo poo. No one knows how mediocre they'll actually be until they release content that those jobs can't reasonably handle, like you said. But the narrative that all pubbies are poo poo but when I can't perform it's because my class is UP is pretty good to watch unfold tho

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I don't understand why people say warriors have good aoe damage. Has anyone actually used overpower or steel cyclone to any remotely useful dps effect in raid content?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

teacup posted:

Does anyone have a good site for any UI tips on how to better organise things? Are there any mods that are considered must haves? I realise there is no DPS meter but that's probably a good thing right? When I had WoW I liked having one due to knowing how much better or worse I was doing with different things, but I hated how it made everyone obsessed with being like ultra optimal on everything.

If you plan on doing current content and you're DPS you should look into installing ACT, it's the goto 3rd party DPS parser. If you don't plan on doing things like extreme primals or non echo raids who gives a hoot

Optimal UI flow depends on your class, but the best rule of thumb is to organize things where you'll be looking around them the most. As DPS my eyes hover near my hotbar and the boss's health and debuff bar most of the time, while obviously keeping an eye on the room for mechanics. So I have my abilities, buffs, and debuffs stacked around the enemy's so that I notice whenever one pops up that I have to pay attention to.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Ciaphas posted:

Man, the Vault monk gear is good looking.

The unsheathe on those patas is absurdly frightening on a lalafell :v:

(edit) Just remembered the hat is Aery, not Vault. Still, good lookin'

Good job on remaining a monk

now continue to walk the path

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Truga posted:

Then yeah, 450 is bad.

I did a bunch of farm runs of a1-3 this morning with various people, anyone have the numbers from those? :v:

Basically there's no excuse not to be pulling at least six hundred even in mechanic heavy content. If you're good and your gear isn't poo poo you'll do 900-1200 depending on your class

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Dubious posted:

this game is far more fun when you dont parse and just push buttons as best you can and have fun. Not being easily parsable is my favorite thing about this game, and I can be as casual as I want and see the content.

Wiping 59 times on Bismarck ex is actually...very fun

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Verranicus posted:

Lol at goons and big DPS numbers. You guys are worse than pubbies, jesus christ.

So wait now pubbies are the ones good at dps and bragging about it? I'm mixed up on what the current retard goon think meta is at the moment

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Verranicus posted:

This is unironically the right way to do things. If you obsess over parsers you're a broken human being.

I like to have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

cheetah7071 posted:

I do wish there was a way to call out absolutely atrocious people without risking a ban, if only in content where it actually matters. I don't see how to do that without causing the harassment they want to avoid though.

Using third party tools is a ban. Looking at the snake hp in Bismarck ex and cross referencing it with the dps assigned to it on the other hand..

• Locked thread