Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
IN ON THE HYPE TRAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mazed posted:

Imminent lizardgirl.

:swoon:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A loving title card on an MMO expansion. I love this game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm not sure what I think about Alphinaud's new VA.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Goddamn. Astrologians are insanely loving fun. Goddamn.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I don't mind the separate zone instances. What I do mind is that you can't change your zone instance and party members aren't automatically put into the same zone instance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Astrologian being fun as gently caress is contrasted by the job quests for Astrologian being the most lovely, lame-rear end job quests in the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fellow ASTs: What do your hotbars look like?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yo fellow Astrologians. If you're doing N.Than farming, make sure you cross class Blizzard 2 because you'll need AOE with the crazy zerg that's out here.

This is a nonsensical set-up to me. Also: no swiftcast - a shameful astrologian.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Demicol posted:

Swiftcast is on the shared bar at the top, though.

Ah. Didn't see the top bar.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

epitasis posted:

hello I am downloading the client to trial this I hope I can get on excalibur???

Not going to happen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

guys i did it i'm a 50 DRK :toot:

now i can finally go outside and/or eat

I just hit 50 on AST and it feels so drat good. The weight has been lifted. I see the light.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Were the new AF armors for the new jobs ever shown? The original AF2 preview video didn't have the new classes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Downtime posted:

Can finally get some rest!

Were you doing main story quests? Are you a MSQ cutscene skipper?!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Minrad posted:

People seem to universally dislike a lot of the new abilities or class mechanics.

Sorry, but ASTs are unquestionably rad in every area.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So the amount of Triple Triad Tournament points that NPCs are worth was slashed by about a third.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Any word on what last night's fixes were?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also, I find it incredible how many people have pretty much "finished Heavensward" at this point. As in, class to 60, all quests done, all dungeons done. Geared to the teeth already.

I'm not trying to poo poo on those people, but I think I'm glad that I've been taking things a bit slower. I played hard the first couple days just to get my AST up to 50, but I'm barely into the main quests. I'm level 51, close to 52 and all I've done are the initial questlines in Coerthas Western and Sea of Clouds as well as the Elf Pope meeting after. I feel like I still have so much ahead of me.

I just don't understand those that race to the cap, skip all cutscenes and burn through everything in less than a week and then in another couple weeks are just going to sit around and complain that there's nothing to do,

I've been a big fan of just playing a couple hours a day, taking it casual and just being a slowpoke sightseer. Plus, it allows me to play other games (Like finishing Witcher 3).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

cathead posted:

Well, I had 5 days off (Friday - Tuesday) and while I kept a normal sleep/meal schedule those days I spent most of the rest of the time playing FF14. I got 60 on my smn/sch late Tuesday afternoon. I primarily did this for story reasons, I wanted to get through the story so I could safely read about the game elsewhere without having to worry about spoilers (and I'm glad I did). I don't think it's that much different from binging on a new RPG for a couple days when it comes out. I also wanted to get a character at 60 so I could get one out of the way and start focusing on collecting gear for it and trying the other classes I wanted to play at a more leisurely pace. So yeah I don't know why the assumption is if you're shooting for 60 quickly you don't care about the story or don't have a valid reason for doing so.

I also don't understand why people even care about that sort of stuff in the first place. I mean, I've certainly got no problem with people taking leveling at a more leisurely pace, but it always seems like there are people going "omg how can you just rush to cap super quickly and get everything done?!" like it's a bad thing.

Oh I did not intend on the post coming across condescending or anything and it doesn't apply to most people. There is however that small subset that will race to complete everything within the first week and then sit around and do nothing but stand there. I just don't understand those. Albeit, however, I feel there are less of those people in this game than most MMOs. They tend to be just come across as some of the most annoying.

It's like the guy that ground Indolent Imperial for Fenrir and then would sit around in Mor Dhona for hours or whenever they would enter a new zone, they would announce their presence.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I want 4.0 to have the Lunatic Pandora. Have it serve the role of the Crystal Tower. A giant floating fortress created by the Allagans. Or perhaps bring in some other ancient society like the Nymians. Have it be a hive of Nymians that didn't become Tonberries but they're loving crazy and you have to stop them oh god.

Oh and Nero's there too. (This game needs more Nero)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Genocide with a cause!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm only level 52 and the amount of VAs that have changed since 2.55 is seriously super distracting. Hard to stay attached to all these characters when their VAs are so strikingly different.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Xavier Woods is a certified cool dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RALkwIcKifs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Since I'm leveling my combat class only casually to keep pace with my SO, I figured I'd move on to Crafting/Gathering classes for now.

I never did much of the crafting/gathering grind at 50. I got all my gathering classes to 50 and then never touched them again. And I took my crafting classes to 50, gave them a HQ patricians set, and then never used them but to craft sub-50 items. How hosed am I going to be leveling them?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

How are the new crafting/gathering leves? I was reading that going from 50-52 is like the big hump that's hard to get past. So I thought it might be easier if I just power through those two levels with leves.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So if my math is correct, if you are starting at zero rep with the four combat beast tribes (Kobold, Sahagin, Sylph, and Amal'ja), it will take you 45 days to max them out if you do all 12 quests per day.

10 days for the first rank (doing the only three quests you have, 5 rep each)
18 days for the second rank (only doing second tier quests, 7 rep each)
17 days for the third rank (only doing third tier quest, 10 rep each)

That doesn't seem too bad. Before you were looking at 100 days overall. (20 days on first tier (working two tribes at a time), 40 days on second tier (ten days per tribe), 40 days on third tier (10 days per tribe)).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

If you only take the highest tier quests and work on several at once you rank them all up several days faster.

That's exactly how I charted that. Only top tier quests. You just do three quests for all four tribes a day. It's 45 days. That's the fastest you can do it. If you do anything less than the three highest quests, you're wasting time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I only ever maxxed out Ixal. Never touched Amalj'aa or Kobolds. Just about to hit rank 2 in Slyphs and just barely hit rank 2 in Sahagin. Should save me a few days, but I'm still looking at a good 35-40 days to max.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

When's the next letter from the producer?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I think I need to go finally beat Turn 5....

http://xivdb.com/?item/10578/Allagan-Star-Globe
http://xivdb.com/?item/10579/High-Allagan-Star-Globe
http://xivdb.com/?item/10580/Dreadwyrm-Torquetum

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So for those playing the real endgame, here's a list of the 3.0 triple triad NPCs organized by their availability windows.

pre:
2AM - 10AM   Estinien          Gibrillont, Foundation (12-11)                Roulette
2AM - 10AM   Count Edmont      Marielle, The Sea of Clouds (15-37)           Order
9AM - 8PM    Aymeric           Yayake, Ul'dah - Steps of Nald (7-12)         Chaos/Roulette
10AM - 8PM   Gaelicat          Noes, Old Gridania (10-5)                     Descension/Random
3PM - 3AM    Lucia             Wawalago, Limsa Lominsa Lower Decks (8-15)    Swap/Chaos
8PM - 5AM    Ysayle            Marcechamp, The Dravanian Forelands (32-20)   Reverse
9PM - 8AM    Hilda             Idle Imperial, Azys La (28-31)                Ascension/Random
10PM - 6AM   Yugiri            Yellow Moon, Ul'dah - Steps of Thal (14-13)   Ascension/Random
Unknown      Matoya            Midnight Dew, Idyllshire (5-6)                Random/Roulette
Always Up    Vanu Vanu/Gnath   Mogmill, The Churning Mists (28-35)           Roulette/Roulette

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Minrad posted:

You can no longer get platinum packs from playing against NPCs in the TT Tournament, apparently. Not enough points.

loving seriously? Goddamn. gently caress Triple Triad Tournaments. Like watch the winners on the boards. It is the SAME loving people every loving tournament. It's well known how they abuse the system with multiple accounts. In fact, they've made it even easier to abuse the system since it seems player point values don't depreciate as quickly. You could probably get top 10 with just one other account.

I'm half tempted to level up seven level 15 characters on both mine and my wife's account to abuse the system as well.

I'm pissed and spergin about Triple Triad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I like to collect cards. :)

So do I and I love Triple Triad. It's probably one of my top favorite things in the game. However, tournaments continue to be a major loving sore spot for me.

I wonder how long it would take to make fourteen lvl 15s....

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Long enough to question your motives for burning that much time to play advanced tic tac toe against yourself for Xs and Os.

Because Triple Triad is what the certified cool dudes play. :colbert:

I figure it would be fastest to play an Ul'dah class so I wouldn't have to be concerned about unlocking travel, so I'm thinking either THM or PGL would be the best bet to race to 15.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

To be fair the story is long if you watch every cutscene, but if you're catching up you can just skip everything and rewatch them at the inn when you feel like it. A patch's worth of story content can be done in a few hours if you skip stuff.

Counterpoint: people who skip cutscenes are basically Hitler.

Also, gently caress anyone who has the attitude "Other players should be forced to skip dungeon cutscenes since you can just watch them in the inn."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GreatRedSpirit posted:

There's the best tribe mounts which is grinding for reputation doing low lv40 content for... up to a month? I forget what the current numbers are. The Magitek Armor mount is the best ARR mount anyways, and you can make it shoot explosions!

Mordiceius posted:

So if my math is correct, if you are starting at zero rep with the four combat beast tribes (Kobold, Sahagin, Sylph, and Amal'ja), it will take you 45 days to max them out if you do all 12 quests per day.

10 days for the first rank (doing the only three quests you have, 5 rep each)
18 days for the second rank (only doing second tier quests, 7 rep each)
17 days for the third rank (only doing third tier quest, 10 rep each)

That doesn't seem too bad. Before you were looking at 100 days overall. (20 days on first tier (working two tribes at a time), 40 days on second tier (ten days per tribe), 40 days on third tier (10 days per tribe)).

It's 45 days to max all four combat beast tribes from 0. If you're only wanting to max ONE beast tribe, you'll be looking at 28 days. 10 days for the first rank, 10 days for the second rank, 8 days for the third rank. Since you can do 12 quests a day now, it's far more effective to just do all four at once (if you have the stomach for 12 beast tribe quests a day).

I've been working on leveling them myself since before HW launch, I only maxed Ixal and to do all 12 quests takes probably about 45 minutes.

I've found that Amalj'aa quests are the fastest to complete, then Kobold, then Sahagin, then Sylphs are the slowest.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am going to laugh so goddamn hard when the AST weapon is a Blitzball.

Once again, it will prove that AST is the best class. :colbert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Japanese writing sucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holy gently caress the sylph dailies are worse than the holocaust.

EDIT: The sylph dailies make ME want to call a loving planet down on this lovely land.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Goddamn it feels that the new triple triad NPCs have poo poo drop rates.

• Locked thread