Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

tithin posted:

Yeah, I have no idea how it works. It was explained to me that any class below level 50 - once you have a level 50 - gets a 50% XP bonus.

I don't know how true that is.

It's wrong. Magil Zeal is correct, just having one higher level combat class gets all other lower level combat classes the armory bonus. I don't think crafters / gatherers get it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There was a separate update for ARR players so they can play with HW players like Au Ra or the new jobs. The updater knows which one to get based on your account. If you have a HW preorder code entered for your account it'll download the proper HW patch which is something like 8 gigs.

e: My friday plans is to roll an au ra made in the benchmark in some barren server and see if I like their animations and how they look. Gotta save that $$$ on puppet accounts to get twintania instead of fantasia'ing to get the right dragonprincess look! :retrogames:

e2: au ra aura gently caress spelling

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Go Roetato

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Wish I found this quest BEFORE I spent 350k on an onion holy poo poo

If anyone has any extra onions feel free to send them my way :allears:

:getin:

Good night onion market; Scratches, buddy, I'm taking you to the top!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

pandaK posted:

If I already have an account that I bought a subscription for a year ago (now inactive) can I still use a friend's recruitment code to get 30 days of Heavensward?

Also do I also get the /brofist emote or does only the recruiter get that

If you paid for any time on your account you can't use a refer a friend code on your account afaik. For /brofist, it sounds like you only get it if you refer a friend or are referred by a friend.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

pandaK posted:

Well that sucks. Oh well, it's not like I got very far in my first month anyways guess I'll just make another account...

e: seriously though I'm just gonna vent here, if the package tells you that your 30 day subscription will activate once you actually boot up the game and login, then don't just backhand the user and start the subscription time when they download the game itself what a load of bullshit.

Was that first month on the time you get with the game? The game comes with a free month, once you paid for time (which is done once you run out of current play time. You can add a credit card to your account but it won't be charged until your current game time expires. Not sure about time cards) is when you are locked out of a refer a friend codes. It's probably best just to try to use one anyways before you buy a second copy, the worst the game will say is 'No'.

e: added quote

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Azubah posted:

Am I reading this right that Undersized Party will allow us to kinda cheese Coil and the EX Primals?

Kinda, yeah. Mechanics that will kill you will still do so (like Levi EX rocking the boat, Titan EX landslides and we'll see if lv60 gear is enough to eat the plumes stacks he does) but they'll all melt faster. Some will become Coil T1 where you can safely ignore mechanics but others will be like T5 where it's easier but ignoring mechanics still gets you wiped. We'll see how it turns out as more people hit lv60 and go back farming ponies or newbies getting their wingbutt pants.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

pandaK posted:

Yeah, I didn't buy any additional time, just the Amazon base game when it was on sale a year ago. I also tried to add the recruitment code and it seems to have gone through, but it also said that I wouldn't get the 30 day trial.

This is what my account page looks like now:

So will I still have to buy a subscription to play? What is even the purpose of the recruitment code in my case then?

There's still a few bonuses, you'll still get the refer a friend bonuses like the friendship circlet that gives +20% EXP for all classes under lv25 for example. This page has what you get when you're referred by a friend. The 30 day trial is, I think, the same that you get when you buy the game which is why it's already expired.

e: And yeah, you'll have to buy time to continue playing by the looks of it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

pandaK posted:

I don't have much hope for this option, but how good is SE's support center? I'm thinking of sending in a ticket about this since I couldn't actually make use of the initial 30 days back when it got activated.

Though I guess it wouldn't work since it's been a year and I should have sent the ticket back then in the first place...

Oh, I'm dumb and misread your posts. I thought you had played for the first month but wanted the refer a friend bonus, not that you didn't play at all and only installed it (which started your free trial which I agree is dumb).

Not sure how good SE's support is for stuff like this, so I won't speculate. If you do go the new game route you can get the 14 day free trial, then when that expires buy the game and get a free month of playtime from that. This of course depends on SE's response and if you can find a copy of the game for less than a month of subscription (cheapest is $13 on the Entry account, 1 character per server, 8 total characters, for 30 days. This has the billing / account options for a ff14 account).

e: Found a link saying the 2 week trial and 1 month of free time when buying the game do stack.

e2: I'd still wait for the trial to expire before adding a purchased copy of the game just to be safe though.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 19, 2015

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, a relic seems a bit out of the way to get a i80/i90 weapon. Stick to the i70 weapon from a FC chest / the market and keep chugging through the story. Hopefully you'll get a better weapon from a quest, worst case is plow through anyways and use other gear to hit i90 by 2.5 so you can do the rest of the story content.

Or try to get hooked up to a HW i115 weapon from the trash merchants from somebody who's already in HW. I assume they're level 50 gear.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

Is it too late to get early access?

And did they make leveling a second job easier? I already did the main storyline on my main but 30-45 was so boring on additional jobs :smith:

For early access you'll need to get your hands on a preorder code. I'm not sure who is still selling them though. Green Man Gaming still talks about a preorder, maybe they'll give a code?

They increased the armory bonus from +50% EXP to +100% which should help some. Sounds like there's a deluge of tanks flooding the lower levle instances so if you 're leveling a DPS now seems like a great time to do it.

efb, listen to kob for the armory bonus. It is only +100% to lv50, then it reverts back to +50%

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I still don't get people trying to blast through pre HW content to reach the expansion. Isn't it all new to you?

Edit: Has anyone ripped some songs from the expansion yet? I'm stuck on the road and would live to hear some new battle or dungeon themes.

There's a thread on ffgoons that has the 3.0 soundtrack dump I think. Check there.

pandaK posted:

How long would it take me to get to Heavensward? :v:

And yeah, I guess just straight up starting a brand new account is on the board since I have literally like 2 hours of progress on this one, but gently caress trying to get a proper Excalibur account again (unless they alleviated this issue now?).

There's still new character restrictions on Excalibur, yeah.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

pandaK posted:

Yeah, their chat support just replied and told me they couldn't renew my trial period, so I'll probably just buy a month's subscription and not Heavensward since I doubt I'll even reach it. Are all of the expansion's contents end level stuff or will I miss anything by not buying it now? I'm reading the 3.0 patch notes and it seems like it's the former?

e: am I barred off from getting those Heavensward Triple Triad cards, for example.

You can't play as an Au Ra. I'd assume you can only get the HW cards from TT players in HW content, although if they're ever added to the random card packs then maybe you can get them? The rest of HW content is gated beyond 2.5.5 afaik. If you're not interested in playing an Au Ra then yeah, don't buy HW until you actually need it.

Verranicus posted:

Any chance you can link that here? Not a member of ffgoons and im on a lovely tablet that hates navigating websites not already in my bookmarks.

Here's a link to a download link and checksum to names

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

With regards to the Undersized Party stuff: do you have to have less than the maximum number of players? Plus, I know that there's no exp, but it also says no items, does that include boss drops and such, or could you grab a bunch of level 60 guys and pony farm with the Undersized setting much faster than before?

You can still be a full size party for that instance (4/8 man, not sure if you can bring 8 people into a 4 man instance) and you still get chests from bosses. Pony Farm 2: Farm Faster should be a thing you can do!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Axle_Stukov posted:

Can you? We tried with a full party of 8 in Steps of Faith and it still synced us, unless of course the party leader claimed to have to hit the option but messed up somewhere.

I admit I haven't tried, I assumed you can since it isn't listed anywhere that you can't get a full party together and do undersized party content. Hopefully somebody else can step in and say that you can or that I'm an idiot and need to step spreading misinformation.

Chests are legit though, I ran Tam Tara solo three times trying to get the Foestriker's hands to complete my set and got some new expert hand ins for it (but not what I was looking for)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: Speaking of FF6, how do I get the magitek armor mount?

Adding on to this, you get an item after beating the ARR 2.0 final dungeon. Magitek Identification Key or something like that. Use it and it'll add the Magitek Armor mount to your mount list. All extra mounts works like this (get item, use item, get sweet new ride).

You can get a gold one for getting 500 player commendations and talking to the achievement guy Master of Rolls in Old Gridania at the waterfall.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There's the best tribe mounts which is grinding for reputation doing low lv40 content for... up to a month? I forget what the current numbers are. The Magitek Armor mount is the best ARR mount anyways, and you can make it shoot explosions!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

So I hit level 30 on my lancer and the lancer guild quest is asking me to get to level 15 on a marauder to make a dragoon. Is there any reason to level up the regular classes beyond what's required? How does that work exactly?

Just cross class skills. Marauder gets mercy stroke which is some extra free damage once in a while on an enemy that's at <20% hp. Dragoon gets skills from marauder and pugilist but leveling pugilist isn't required (but getting it to lv12 gives you Internal Release which is a decent dps cooldown)

e: slowpostin'

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I was the jerk that dropped immediately starting an instance once: I got Keeper of the Lake for EXDR for the seventh time in a row in as many days as a tank trying to get the chest gear. I apologized to the group, dropped, and never EXDR'd again in 2.5.5 :smith:

I am glad HW made the Varlet set vendor trash, now I can get the look of the armor without suffering the rng! :unsmith:

e:

Mordiceius posted:

Only dungeon that I will automatically drop out of is Totorak. I swear to god that 90% of the time when I queue for LLDR, I get loving Totorak. It was especially bad during early access when everyone was doing the new jobs because that's the highest dungeon you can do at 30.

loving Totorak.

Haukke is the highest at 28-31, you just got poo poo luck by the sounds of it

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

vOv posted:

Listening to Ravana's theme on Youtube just isn't the same without him yelling FEAR MY BLADES!.

Is the theme stored somewhere on my computer as an mp3? I'd like to put it on my phone without having to gently caress around with youtube downloaders.

FF14 Explorer can open FF14's data files including the one with music which you can extract as OGG I think. Not sure which file has it though. You'd have to edit the extracted OGG to add a second loop or fade out if you want it too.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

I'd assume he's talking about the quest design, which are usually either "kill x mobs" or "interact with x things on the ground" and probably one of the weakest parts of the game for me.

It's just about the only thing I agree with him on, though. Being able to reach maximum level is so awful you guys :saddowns:

gently caress these quests and thank you to whoever made youtube videos of where to find a moogle's dumb baskets in a big vertical area. After the Churning Mists I haven't done any sidequests that weren't related to unlocking flying or so and my HW experience improved immensely since.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Is that the one that was really tired and needed a kupo nut even though Mogleo and him ended up relocating to get away from mobs?

No, that's a later Mogleo quest where you need to find the second in command of the Moogleguard. He's the only one that even appears to do anything. Then you end up having to find Mogleo again in a big vertical area and doing other moogleguard's jobs for them again.

kill all moogles

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

And you only need to make your character once, again thanks to the armory system which lets one character do everything. Sometimes there's queues to sign on that last 20 seconds (or less if you cancel and immediately try again). Definitely try to get on Excalibur even if it sucks that first time creating your character and getting them on Excalibur.

There's three healing classes but access to two is kinda gated. Conjurer / White Mage is available from the start. Scholar requires leveling a DPS class (Arcanist) to 30 and Conjurer to 15 to unlock with the bonus that you can use a DPS class, Summoner, at the same level as your Scholar. The third, Astrologist, requires completing the main story of the base game which lets you access the expansion content where Astrologist is immediately available for everybody and starts at level 30.

You can get a free two week trial period, max level 20, to give the game a shot. Come heal anime catgirl simulator 14!

e: Make your character on another server first. You can save their appearance data so when Excalibur is available you just load that appearance data, input your name and staring class, and you're off!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of macros, I use a macro to get garuda-egi to use contagion since afaik it's the only way to get it on my hotbar so I can hit a key to activate it. However I do have troubles getting garuda to actually use the drat thing like 10% of the time and I start to mash the poo poo out of it and end up loving up another action because of it. I know there's a range limit that I try to stay in but is there anything else I can do to get contagion to go more reliably when I hit a button on my keyboard?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Open the pet tab of your abilities window. You can drag the abilities to your hotbar from there. You do have to mash the button a bit even without the macro though.

Thanks, I keep forgetting about that whole window (Let me tell you how I found out the three mudra ninjitsu combinations at first! :v: ). I'll give it a spin and hopefully it means I can get bane off sooner.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

As an apology for 2.X tri-disaster it got renamed tri-bind and at lv54 or 56 you get new hot and sexy tri-disaster which is a one minute cooldown that applies the big three dots all at once. At lv52 you get an aoe attack that does burst damage. Also

Fister Roboto posted:

They can cast Akh Morn and Teraflare, that's all you really need to know.

SMN is pretty fun right now! Way better than 2.X SMN.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I went all the way to 60 with a i115 and a weathered sol i110 ring without issue. Don't throw your money at market board prices and just hang on. Accessories are cheap law upgrades and doing the final dungeon + trial and a HLDR and LLDR should be enough to get you at least one. If you need the ilvl to enter the final dungeon throw on any right side gear you won on greed rolls in dungeons to get your ilvl up then change it out back to the gear you actually use once the instance starts.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

He's a PLD, tell him to cast protect! :v:

Minrad posted:

man what the gently caress happened, all the skin markets are suddenly crashing like mad on excalibur

do the churning mists fates drop a buttload of them or something?

I had Blood Dragon daily hunts recently and when I went to where they spawn in the Mists I found like a dozen players camping their spawn points. I'm guessing word got out of a hot market and it got mined to poo poo and back again and something similar happened to the other skin markets.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

For WHM / Healing PVP one important skill to learn is when you don't heal. If some DRG jumps into the middle of another party's blob don't go running out trying to save him because a) you won't and he'll die and b) then they might come after you and you'll die. Stick with your group. Regen and Cure don't do enough if somebody is trying to kill somebody in your party, stick to Cure 2. Stoneskin prevents your casts from being interrupted when taking damage like Surecast and one of your PVP skills so try to keep it up on yourself when you find a second. Also make sure you equip and see what your PVP skills do. I like to improve the "remove any bad status" one first and use it when I get slept because as you found out sleep is great to use on healers! Some will try to sleep you twice in a row to get you to eat your Purify use, so keep that in mind.

(This is all from lv50 WHM PVP healing so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I haven't done new PVP yet)

Also the real prize (esoteric tomes) is just for participation so if your party sucks or goes everywhere without direction turn on netflix, follow somebody, and casually heal them and dying while watching some show is all you need to do.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

Nice tip on stoneskin. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna have to try and remember what all the pvp skills do.

I'm mostly in it for the tomes, but I figure I may as well try to have fun as well. tbh with 72 people involved I'm not sure how much I'm gonna do as far as winning. Just had a game where me and the flames fought the treebirds constantly while the mealstrom just chilled on the other side of the map, reaping all the points for no effort (Mealstrom won that match).

I forgot some stuff, here's some more tips that maybe helpful:

- Fluid Aura and other knockback attacks can wreck somebody if they're on an edge of a cliff. Make them fall, take massive falling damage, and if they had a DoT on them like Aero they'll die from the DoT tick after hitting the ground. Alternatively, you can do it to get a melee DPS away from you. Fluid Aura also has a bind for a few seconds or until they're hit so knocking them back and getting away / buffing up is possible.

- Holy can stun! A well placed aoe stun can help your party out in various ways... or they already have max stun resist from other dps and now you're up close and just blew your swiftcast...

- To be clear, regen isn't viable if who you're healing is being targeted. Opening with Media 2 when approaching a fight is totally viable, or regen'ing yourself when you're being targeted and don't have any way to cast besides instant casts. It might give an extra second for your party to help you out (or you can use it with the PVP skill where you turtle up to hold up whoever is trying to kill you for a few seconds longer).

- Look into using vitality right-side gear. The mind bonus from the healer gear won't be a big help compared to having your HP skyrocket and making you more durable. Getting slept->cometeor (a pvp BLM favorite) and surviving can help a lot. Try to find a good mix that works for you. Since PVP is synced to ilv150 you should be fine with whatever you win via greed rolls in EXDR and not spending law tomes or anything for vit gear.

(Or it might be best to stick with healing right side, not sure how it'll all come down in pvp @ lv60)

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There is some cross-role abilities for some jobs. Summoner is the only non-healer job that can revive party members and they and Paladins can use a HP healing move that, while paltry, and hold off a party wipe if the healer bites it. Paladin also gets a HP buffer spell that's just a flat % of max HP and Summoners get a tank pet that can do in a pinch (I used him to tank half of Neverreap's final boss after the tank accidentally got knocked out of the arena! It was dicey since the pet doesn't have a provoke and had to slowly build up aggro while the boss whaled on a DPS but we managed to pull through).

Healers are also intended to do DPS, heal to keep people from dying but otherwise they can contribute to killing bosses. They get a stance that hits their healing significantly for doing more damage and all it costs is about a GCD or two of cooldown to leave the damage stance once you enter it. Hell, in low level dungeons one of the healers (Scholar) can sit in DPS stance and let their healing pet do all the healing.

But at the end of the day it's very much a Tank/Healer/DPS game and while some jobs can help in other areas they don't compare to somebody dedicated in that role.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Clemency owns bones and is far from paltry. I use it all the drat time and it's amazing. It's very difficult to interrupt and can crit in the 8-10k range. When I'm offtanking A4 I don't need any heals when catching orbs or when coming back from the photobooth because clemency takes care of it. If you're talking about crossclassed cure, well, then yeah that's a waste of time.

Yeah, I was thinking of cross class cure :v: I'm still in ARR mentality with most classes so I appreciate people correcting me with HW changes.

e: type gud

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 27, 2015

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Joining the chorus of getting the esoterics chest first. I'd get a greater benefit than others since I still only have the law weapon but I don't care, pretty princess comes first. :sparkles:

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The real problem with the endgame is that the Great Library is the best dungeon of HW but you rarely do it at 60. Add Gubal to the EXDR yoshi.p plz

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Vil posted:

Things Raw Intuition works well on:
- Single targets, especially bosses
- Multiple targets if they're both few and small enough that they all stay in front (relatively rare, all things considered)
- Enemies that melee-swing a lot
- Enemies whose specials can't be manually dodged, but can be parried (quite a few miscellaneous cleaves fall under this)

Things it works poorly, if not counterproductively, on:
- Multiple targets if they're either numerous or large enough that they fan around to your sides to politely give each other room (read: most trash packs)
- Enemies that use a lot of non-parryable (notably: magic) damage
- Enemies which like to make orange ground markers to manually dodge

When used in a situation where its auto-parry will kick in for most or all of the incoming damage, it's like an Inner Beast with a much longer duration, since parries are a flat 20% damage reduction now.

How does Raw Intuition and Awareness work together? I never tried it and now I'm curious which would take precedence (I'd assume Awareness). How about popping RI and then canceling the buff altogether? Only really useful if you need that one extra stack right away but if you're doing dungeon mobs and know RI will be back up before the next time you can use the stack+parry it seems like it'd be a decent ogcd thing to do. e: as long as you have nothing else that needs to be done for that ogcd, I mean

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

When I got Awareness I replaced Second Wind with it and put that giant stack of hi-elixirs I accumulated in SW's place on my hotbar. They were just as good in 2.X and I wanted to try and use them up (spoilers the stack continues to grow)

e: my run on sentences are about as good as SW too

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I solo'd Hardtali as a Summoner and Titan-egi, the pet heal spell, and some vit gear and physick spam to eat the final boss' big aoe attack. I've tried Snowcloak without success though, I usually fall off on healing Titan-egi and he dies then I do. I haven't tried since I got law gear though so that and some gitgud should do the trick. Scholar could probably do it though with the defense from law gear and fairy healing.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Sade posted:

I'm leveling duo with somebody and we just got to the point in the story where you pick a grand company. A couple of cursory reddit searches suggest your choice of GC doesn't matter much, and I know you can switch between them, but my question specifically concerns the leveling experience. Do different GCs have different story quests? Are my leveling partner and I going to be separated if we pick different GCs?

GC only matters for glamors and PVP. The most it affects the story is when you're working with a GC as part of the plot they'll call you by your title, like "Private BonerGoku". Once you max rank it at about lv50 you can change to another GC. It costs 50k though except the first time and it has a two week cooldown but it remembers your seals and rank so you can always go back.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Expert Roulette gives 75 esoterics a day (40 from the dungeon, 35 from the daily bonus). Frontlines Roulette gives 20 esoterics as a daily bonus and if you get Siege Rock, the lv60 pvp map (I've always gotten it) you'll get another 20 esoterics. You can also get 10 from the daily trials roulette bonus. If you grind Alexander trying to get a drop you'll get 10 esoterics from each floor there as well. You need ilv170 for Alexander though which needs Law gear which you get piles of from your daily roulettes and upgrade them with centurio seals or law tomestones.

e: I forgot to say the law and esoterics you get from PVP is on a participation basis only. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, you'll still get them. PVP EXP and Wolfmarks (buy pvp gear aka glamor) are adjusted based on how well your GC does in PVP.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Are there any vendors that sell prisms?

There are vendors that sell the clear prisms that have to be crafted into the actual glamor prisms. Just steal them from the FC chest and yell at the crafters if it's running low.

• Locked thread