Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Thanks to Vas and T'sun for the glamour/screenshot idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

That's right. Nothing changes, regardless of where you are in the MSQ. It's very silly.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

As a tank, you want to deal as much damage as you can, so you can generate the most threat/kill bosses faster. Your two main stats are VIT and STR. Since the most recent patch, they both increase your damage by the same amount, but VIT will also give you more HP. When you meld things, you have to watch out to make sure you don't hit the stat caps on items. They are pretty easy to figure out, since they are normally the biggest stat numbers on an item. Armor for every class will have VIT + another main stat maxed out. For tanks, that means both VIT and STR.

The ring and armor up there are maxed out on the fending stat (VIT), and the armor also has its STR stat maxed, as well. Since the ring isn't maxed on STR, you want to meld that as it gives you the most extra damage. The two other stats on those pieces of gear are its substats, and are the main things to worry about melding for armor. The one that is higher will be maxed, while the lower one can still be melded. For example, the ring is maxed on Skill Speed, and the armor is maxed on Determination. Melding substats can be tricky, especially for WARs. In general, tanks want crit, as it gives the most overall damage without spending more TP. However, WAR needs to worry about skill speed break points for stuff like triple fell cleaves. No idea if WARs have to worry about break points with lore gear, though. Like Vil said, things get kinda messy when crit is capped on an item.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Counterpoint: I use flash to save tp when I do big pulls. This lets me do more overpowers later on, when I can get a big group together to use each point of tp when it's most effective.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It's also about knowing where you should place/face bosses to let your DPS do their jobs. At first, the only thing to consider is pointing the boss away from the group, but later fights involve pulling the boss around so melee DPS can hit their positionals, or turning a boss towards your casters so they don't need to move to worry about a mechanic that's coming up.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It lets ASTs do more damage at the start of the fight, which lets the tank move faster overall.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If I remember correctly, buying one piece of the old ARR sets shouldn't take much more than an hour of PvPing.

Edit: yes, they removed the rank requirements, and drastically reduced the cost to buy them.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Alder posted:

Meantime I'm farming eso as I'm stuck in iLvl 155 for awhile before I can clear MSQ and get my favorite NPC minion. I may consider leveling a DoL because I'm poor. Good idea?

Terrible idea. Crafting and gathering are a huge money sink, until you get to the max level where they start to pay off. If you are smart and savy, you can break even while you level crafting, but it would still be more profitable in the long run rushing it and then making it back at max level. Gathering though is a complete wash until you can reliably gather high quality materials that rich maxed out crafters need and are willing to pay big for.

edit: It's worth noting that this latest patch added a lot of things for crafters, so there is some money to be made gathering, but it's primarily basic level 60 materials.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

yes, there are dozens of them on google.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

My phone authenticator has that issue when I move between my dorms and my parents home. Turns out the cell towers on campus and near my parents home are off by a few seconds, and since the app uses the clock to generate its passwords using your serial code, those few seconds made it occasionally give me bad codes. You might want to check your clock and see if it's something like that.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So I'm level 41 now, taking this poo poo super slow. Is there anything I should be doing aside from grinding leves between story missions?

Also fat chocobo is the best mount in the game.

Grinding leves is a terrible idea on your first class. The thing that makes them great is that high level players can clear them quickly for you, and they get a +100% armory bonus to any class that's lower level than your first class. You should do your side quests instead. They are a lot more interesting, give better gear, show you the world, and have fun stories attached to them. Plus, it should be roughly the same amount of exp.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

What do you mean by redo it? You can already remove melded materia by talking to Mutamix. If you mean reclaiming materia that has been melded, that would be terrible for the in game economy.

Edit: beaten like ifrit NM when matched against four level 60's in LDR.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 26, 2016

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

That's part of the main story quest. You cannot skip the MSQ.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's the best way to find out where the next story quest starts? I haven't selected it yet, so there's nothing on my map AFAIK.

did you pick it up? If so, it's in your journal. Just press J to open it, and look for the meteor icon. If not, then it should be where your last one ended. If you don't remember where that is, you can look up your completed quests in your journal.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

EDIT:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eos seems to be more the more general-use fairy on paper, since she just does healing and damage mitigation rather than silence and status healing, what makes Selene more useful?

The bonus healing you get doesn't really matter, unless you need to force your way through some really heavy hitting stuff, which only applies to savage raids. Selene gives you bonus skill and spell speed, which means your party can do more damage. Her cleanse also lets you let you focus on doing more damage instead of stopping to take care of it yourself.

They have two modes. Obey lets you tell them when to use their skills, and sic has them use them automatically. 95% of the time, you should leave them on sic, and play around with Obey when you hit 50 and want to micromanage some skills. Both fairies will use their heal skill (embrace) on anyone in your party below 95% HP, and they'll use their buffs on cooldown. Selene's cleanse and silence will automatically go off when someone gets a debuff and when an enemy starts casting, respectively.

In general, Eos is great for high level raiding when you need a fuckton of healing, and Selene is better in every other circumstance over level 30, since she'll be your only cleanse, and she'll give a nice damage boost with her skill/spell speed buff. Below level 30, Eos is slightly better, because she can let you ignore the tank completely, but it's not like it really matters at that level.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 18, 2016

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

nope! If you want them to use a skill, you'll need to use it yourself, or just get a feel for when they'll automatically cast it.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It sounds like your tanks should be making larger pulls.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

There are a few. The only relevant thing I can think of is Beguiling Mist in Weeping City. Most DPSes use their stuns as soon as the succubus on the second boss spawns, so you can't stun it.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Quests that unlock new content have a new icon, and NIN's mudras were changed a bit to make them work better for higher pings. I'm pretty sure MNK hasn't changed at all, it's still the king of single target damage.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The only way to get the dye-able version of the Alexander gear is to do savage. If you want the normal, not dye-able version, you can do normal mode. The token you need to trade in for the normal version is a Tarnished Midan Crank, and you need two of them. You can get them from normal A7, and A8.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Nuebot posted:

It's just the weapon I want, really. I don't like the idea of a helmet that obscures my fabulous pompadour. I must have missed the non-dyed version of it. Still, do you only get one token for every clear of the savage version? Is it a guaranteed token or do you have to roll on it?

Wait, are you talking about the MNK weapons? http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Midan_Metal_Knuckles

Sorry, when you said gauntlets, I thought you were talking about a piece of armor. If you want an i245 midas weapon, the only way to get those is to do savage mode.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I sometimes use a dualshock on the PC. After you get used to targeting, it's not that bad.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The right time is when you start to do savage and EX stuff. Melds are nice to have in exdr and Midas, but are nowhere near necessary. If you have the materia from doing beast tribes or something, go ahead and use it, but it's not something that should be "worried" about for not-raid content.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

clemency can't be interrupted, and its cast time/resource cost is too much to be used as a quick save. The two main uses I've found for it is to quickly heal people who have just been raised, and to top off the party member with the lowest hp when healers have to spam their aoe heals. Clemency won't let you single handily stop a wipe, but it will slow it down enough that the healer might be able to pick it up.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

they played Sophia's theme in the trailer. The short gameplay segment with her had different music, probably because it's still getting some final touches. Or maybe it just starts off with different music, and transitions later.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

over/under on Umbrite still being 300 Lore after patch?

based on past behavior, they only nerf relic steps after the step that is two stages ahead of it has been around for somewhere between one half to a full patch cycle. The price might not be exactly 300 lore, but it is very, very likely that you will not be able to get them faster in 3.4 than you were able to in 3.3

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Tortolia posted:

Hell, I need a proper weapon when I shortly start bear farming, might as well see if I can get a cheap 250 and not deal with the hassles of crafting or getting the intermediate parts.

They already changed their prices back up to 3 - 4 mil. It looks like two BSM specs were fighting it out and trying to edge each other out of the market, but they backed off once I bought a WAR axe and MNK knuckles. I was going to get a DRK sword for a friend, but they changed their prices between me opening up that tab on the MB and me clicking to buy it. Oh well. It was great being able to replace my old Law fists, though. Hopefully I'll be able to replace my moldy old law tome SMN book soon, too.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It has more to do with ping and how well your tanks can predict each other's actions. If they both go for the same add on the second wave, and the mt has to use provoke, then they have no way to deal with the extra agro and pointless overhealing during that phase transition. If they have their provoke up and ready to go, it won't help much if their ping makes the boss run out of melee range before their first attack. In both cases, dealing with the extra, pointless agro keeps the tank from contributing as much to the group DPS.

Some overhealing is fine, but if you intentionally overheal in situations like that, you are putting the rest of the party in a worse position.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Edit : yes, it is. There are some changes to the dialog for it. You should see if you can get a group together to undersize it.

Brute Justice spawns about 15 seconds before he lands, so healers can get a substantial agro lead. If a healer decides to overheal when everyone groups up, preemptively casts medica II for the landing, and misses the window and has to recast it, then boss will head right towards that healer. While this might not matter in normal Alex, situations like that can quickly spiral out of control in difficult content, which is why the person who started this conversation said they wished there was a way to practice EX and savage fights without the risk of upsetting other players.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

How bad is DRG's rotation-changing buff dropping prematurely compared to a BLM losing Enochian early, as far as DPS numbers go, anyway

I remember reading somewhere that against a single target the lost potency was surprisingly small

The main drawback is the lack of bonus damage that botd lets you do, not necessarily the extra finishers themselves. As someone who mostly tanks, it's very easy to tell the difference between a drg using the level 50 rotation at 60, and one who makes the most of botd.

fake edit: That said, the finishers do contribute a significant amount of damage. It's just that the difference between DRGs who use their ghost dragons and jumps and those who do nothing but their gcd combo is pretty big.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm pretty sure that it comes right after she uses chinnatownni or whatever that aoe spell is called. The number of times she'll aoe varies based on how far you are into the fight. There is no aoe before the first tank buster (which most groups skip) and she adds one before each tank buster after the three demiurges. I think, anyway, I could be wrong.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Saw some discussion that you use Fuma instead of Raiton outside of like boosted Foes these days because of GCD clipping, is that correct?

It depends entirely on your own ping, and how much you'd clip in that scenario.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

if you have GSM desynth leveled, you can break down the right sides for demimateria. If you don't, you can donate gear to your FC for seals, which you then use to either farm Quick Ventures, or or buy 2.0 endgame crafting mats.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

please, please don't activate skills through macros. Macros use the chat input to use skills, which prevents skill queuing. Normally, when you use a skill or a spell, it will start as soon as your previous spell is done/your gcd refreshes, as long as you press the button while you are casting the spell before it, or using the attack before it. By using a macro for your input, you slow down how fast you can use your skills, which drops your basic damage output by something like 30% (varies by ping), because the server has to wait an additional two thirds of a second or so before you start using a skill.

Leal, that's is stored in C:\Users\_____\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn
Everything in there is what the client uses for geartsets, hotbars, macros, UI, saved character appearances, etc.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Do they know that it doesn't matter if they are hit by the visual effect? All that matters is if their character is standing in the area marked when the castbar finishes. I know it took me a while to get the hang of that.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Leve rewards changes based on your level. If you are really that low, you won't get the same reward as someone doing it at the proper level. That said leve rewards and difficulty don't change based on party size, so you can pick up a ton of low level ones, and have a higher level friend one shot everything for you. You'll get the same reward as someone soloing them, but clear them in a fraction of the time.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

or whatever your auto run button is, if you rebound that.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If you mean the DGKK house, then yes.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If Tort isn't online, feel free to ask either me (Your Buddy) or Jolie Fleur to help craft it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You can use pumice, fishmeal, and other plant foods once an hour. Plants will need to be watered once a day, but oldrose should finish growing before then.

• Locked thread