Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Velthice posted:

you should get a tank friend anyway because 99% of those drks are going to be garbage

I'm all for believing in people, but there's going to be a huge amount of people who have never tanked in their life, and they're being told to make heads or tails out of more than a dozen abilities the first time they hit that queue button. It's going to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

SpaceDrake posted:

They actually have been tallying both the SaGa games and Chrono Trigger with the Final Fantasy series in other crossover products to ensure those games get exposure at all, so it's not impossible, really. I'd love a Black Omen-inspired raid.

If you get loot on Savage, you can get more loot in Story, but not vice-versa? :v:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Completely ignoring the content of them, the new solo instances are really cool and a huge step up from even the tail end of 2.x. I wonder how long they've been working on them.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Minrad posted:

People seem to universally dislike a lot of the new abilities or class mechanics.

Scholar 52/54 are both fantastic. Scholar 56 is.. interesting sounding, but it really should be self-targetable, because it makes spreading Adlo a huge headache.

Scholar 58 and 60 both look very bad on paper, but I haven't gotten to try either.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
So, tank chocobos are amazing now. My 7 Def/ 9 Healer / 10 Offense chocobo just tanked a same level boss fate!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

kharaa posted:

Is broil the new ability that sounds like a loving party horn?

It sure is. Gonna annoy the poo poo out of people with it until they nerf the sound, like they did with <se.6>.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
My client broke

really bad

send help

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

abraham linksys posted:

Oh my god we finally did it on the 5th attempt even though we lost a DPS my hands are shaking

Congrats! It's all downhill from there, story-wise.

Also, I just did Bismark EX w/ 2 Scholars. Fight's intense, but really cool mechanically.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Jabu posted:

So apparently neither Lustrate nor Indomitability is affected by the healing boosts from Fey Illumination and Dissipation. Is that intended?

I imagine it's as intended as your faerie getting shittier as you level. Scholar is very powerful even in 3.0, but it's got some weird rough spots like that - if it is intentional, it makes Scholar/Warrior actively a bad choice.

Also, I actually got some use out of Dissipate on Bismarck EX, but it's still way too weak for what they want it to do. 3 aetherflow stacks and Divine Seal just aren't worth 2k mana and losing Embrace, even if you aren't losing your faerie's cooldowns. It needs a Faerie freecast at the end, or to restore mana (either over time or like Aetherflow).

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Thumbtacks posted:

Actually that's a level 59 FATE, so that probably isn't even the Odin fate.

I thought Odin was Couerlregina? We managed to pop and kill her a couple of days ago on Sargantanas, and she had an AoE that was 1-shotting just about everyone on the server aside from a few tanks & truly hardcore players.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Jia posted:

What am I missing?

Is its Collectability Value below 1100? Vendors won't take less than that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's no reason to pick up the expansion until you finish the main story right? Every thing is gated by going to the expansion zones?

Unless you want to fantasia to an Au Ra, that's correct.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Ciaphas posted:

Oh yeah, I did everything necessary for flight in every zone. I actually rather like the exploration aspect :shobon:. I'm not just sure how I want to go about the 58->59 slog is all, my trials are done for the day and I want to get it today so I can be 60 tomorrow.

57 -> 59 was really awful for the few people I knew who were ahead of me, so while this is obviously too late for me, this is my advice for anyone hitting the level range:

Just queue for the 57 Story dungeon as many times as you can tolerate. It gives so much chain EXP that you're much better off spamming it at 57 and then continuing the story at 58.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Psyker posted:

How does this game play?

Like, does this game play like a Final Fantasy but with friends, or does it play to more generic MMO setups? What are its strengths, and what are its honest weaknesses?

It controls a lot like WoW, but slower. It's definitely ARPG rather than JRPG, but the controls are smooth and responsive, and the game can be played without issue on controller or mouse+keyboard. The game's biggest strengths are an enjoyable levelling experience and an absolutely stellar soundtrack, which is probably my favorite FF soundtrack full stop after 3.0.

As far as weaknesses? It can be difficult to get on to your friends' server if they're on a popular one, and levelling DPS classes is definitely more of a chore than tanks or healers. Also, you need two service accounts to cross-play between PS4 and PC.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Farg posted:

Are there any goons on sarg?

I'm Kyani Jawantal on Sargantanas, as a matter of fact!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Jahuran posted:

The JP patch notes also contain that some items are now available from an NPC in the pillars 7,10:

Coerthan Tea Leaves, Dravanian Mistletoe, Abalathian Rock Salt and Abalathian Mistletoe can now be purchased from an NPC at (7,10) in The Pillars.

Is that really true? It's kind of weird that they'd wait less than a week before nerfing one of Bot/Min's biggest money makers.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Intoluene posted:

It was also a huge barrier to entry for 3.0 crafting.

That's fair - it'll make levelling all of those classes a lot more reasonable, especially on a light budget.

SpaceDrake posted:

(Naw but seriously, we're supposed to do what now to keep remotely up with Warriors?... Bueller?...)

On this, though, I rather suspect you aren't, but we'll have to wait for the first balance patch to see what that entails.

Relatedly, I hope they address the weirdness of Fairy scaling in 3.0 - thanks to either a bug or change in the way 51-60 fairies calculate their stats, level 60 fairies heal for less as a percentage of your other heals than they did at 50. If you take a level 50 and a level 60 Scholar with equal MND and WD, the level 50's fairy heals for about 25% more :psyduck:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Gearhead posted:

The main reason Red Mage isn't in is because it makes utterly no sense in the current system context as a hybrid of multiple different roles.

Also, because Scholar is FF14's Red Mage.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Eimi posted:

Finding a new caster would be hard, in my limited FF experience. Black mage is already in the FF verse the one size fits all elementalist master mage. We have smn already. Sch was a dps, but is in as a healer. Whm is basically geomancer. What's left?

An Elementalist/Geomancer type class that skill chains along an Elemental wheel, rather than just the Fire/Ice cycle of Black Mage. Classes can easily share elements, as long as they don't share a motif or mechanics.

Give them 6 basic spells, a couple of AoE spells that fall outside, and a bunch of ways to combine them.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 1, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tenzarin posted:

1-6,shift+1-6, ctrl+1-6. How is that even hard? I like to add q,e,r,t,f + shift versions.

You're not a real player if you don't have ` bound :colbert:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Realtalk: both Expert final bosses can get sketchy if your group is getting extra cycles. It shouldn't wipe you if you're actually good at your class, but Curator in a sub-150 group is tight on the healer's mana even if no one gets hit because of the dispels. If your tank and/or DPS are bad, I can definitely see how you can struggle there.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tae posted:

Newbie, doing a trial run because I heard so much about 14. I started as an arcanist, but wanted to switch to a pugilist. I read up that my starting area is closed off until level 15, so should I just start a new character since my gear is the complete opposite of melee? Are the mainland quests different enough from the island quests?

Just play through until 15. It doesn't take a terribly long time (maybe 6~ hours?) to get to Ul'dah for the first time, and you'll appreciate the extra EXP for Pugilist from the Armory system. If you just don't like Arcanist, that's another thing, but since all progress is permanent level-wise I can't really recommend throwing away a character to start over.

Niton fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 4, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
So, apparently the Hinterlands goblins have Scouters. I expect Alexander to be full DBZ, at this point:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Rei_ posted:

wasn't that confirmed, idk, i mostly hear poo poo second hand because there are so many different places news pops up

What i've heard is "Coil with Echo" vs "A bit harder than Coil without Echo" for Story vs regular.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Rei_ posted:

Real talk has anyone ever been asked to leave a dungeon? I've seen people get super salty over healers contributing to DPS but normally roulette is pretty chill

I've gotten kicked from exactly one dungeon - a Keeper of the Lake in which the tank could not keep healing aggro from me (a Scholar), despite being in Shield Oath / 110 weapon, and was adamant that I was loving with them somehow. I told them they were the worst tank i've ever dealt with with after our second wipe to the first boss, and they rage kicked me.

To this day, i've never wiped to the first boss of Keeper except with that tank.

Niton fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 6, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

nuru posted:

I'm a SCH. Hi.

As a Scholar, it's still nice to use in the rare situations where your Expert tank can handle 5+ mobs, but it's a lot more niche than it is on Summoner, since our filler spells are 200 and 170 potency. Summoner should basically be spamming it any time it's safe to on 3+ mobs once their higher potency spells have been expended.

e: Also it's great for overworld stuff and soloing~

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

nuru posted:

I was wrong and stand corrected. I acknowledged that.

That and that 5th cross slot is the only place to fit Aero as well.

I run Aero/Blizz2 and skip Stoneskin. Even with the changes, i've yet to run into a single situation where i've found myself wishing I had Stoneskin on top of Adlo. It's still good, mind, but if the same person is pre-casting Adlo and Stoneskin, it's both a ton of time and (more importantly) a ton of mana.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

hobbesmaster posted:

Its also possible that the turret's behavior on the live server is different from the dev server. SMN pet potency seem to be buggy as well according to reddit. Except in the SMN case any potential missing DPS would bring the class from "good" to "lol why did you bring a BLM"

SMN pet damage doesn't seem to be bugged, but Scholar's absolutely is. Faerie healing throughput drops by more than a third between levels 51 and 60, even accounting for gear. It'd be really easy to notice if SMN had the same problem, and I haven't seen any evidence pointing to it the way i've gone over SCH numbers.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
The sound effects for the following actions have been adjusted:
Meditation / Form Shift / Fell Cleave / Broil

Good night sweet Broil sound, your annoying clang will not be forgotten.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Since Savage is the real "meat" of the raiding experience they're going to want people to be running it as much as possible so I have a hard time picturing them doing something that guarantees loot, regardless of how nice it'd be.

You've got 4 turns and 12 slots to fill. If you have each one drop the three tokens each week, you're still looking at 2 months of Alex (Hard) per class. That seems more than fine, especially if people want gear for any alts.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
So, Alex 4 minor mechanics spoiler: In the last phase, the boss' big roomwide attack is an homage to one of the final bosses of Saga Frontier, Genocide Heart. Of everything I expected to see references to today, that was not one of them.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What does that have to do with Urianger meeting with Elidibus?

Given the name, and the fact that dragons are basically magical bullshit from space and don't play by any of the rules that apply to everything else on Hydaelyn, I figured that it was a subtle hint to the fact that Unukalhai was probably one of Midgardsormr's progeny.

since you're probably not joking: There's another character named Elidibus: an optional superboss living in Ivalice's Midnight's Deep. He was notable for being the only character in the entirety of Final Fantasy Tactics to have the Zodiac symbol of Serpentarius.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

cheetah7071 posted:

It sounded like you can only get one token per week, no matter how many runs you do.

Yes, but if you're not otherwise clearing, you can be the corpse-on-the-ground in another group's repeated 7 man and get your token.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
And Gegeruju, who has a laundry list of sexual stuff involving him, including (but not limited to) inviting the GSM guild leader to join his harem.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Obligatum VII posted:

So, ever since... I'm not sure if it was immediately after the expansion or a little while after it, every night at 8 PM EST, my connection becomes unplayably bad (though interestingly, never outright DCs). I recall some other folks mentioning encountering this issue and thinking it may be related to having Verizon as an ISP? Did something go weird with their connectivity to the FF14 servers sometime relatively recently? Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a way around it (switching ISPs is sadly not an option. Only other choice is comcast. And THEY had a connection that outright DCed constantly and was unstable for things other than just FF14 at a specific time of night)?

I play on Cactaur if that's at all relevant.

Use WTFast, it completely fixes things since it hides the game's traffic from the (netflix) throttling.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Meanwhile, on Sargantanas:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Rei_ posted:

The relationship between it and Bard is weird, like Bard offers consistent MP/TP regen whereas MCH can alternate between really crappy and THE BEST EVER MP/TP regen in bursts. Foe's is pretty good mdmg boost, but MCH can offer phys or mdmg in smaller quantities without hurting their own DPS output (or even boosting it with bishop hypercharge)

They're both sort of all about their opener, but MCH is a lot more about holding onto cooldowns for that jackpot Wildfire where everything is sort of detonating at once

In practical terms, I really like how MCH's mana regen works - because Hypercharge is only a 2 minute cooldown, it allows you to focus on burst regen rather than sustained regen, and you can get most of it off during a transition.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

EponymousMrYar posted:

I know he's saying sinners but I also know that I'm not the only one who's ears interpret the pause in there as a sharp T sound. :colbert:

I don't know how anyone can do that boss more than once and not have SICKNESS MUST BE PURGED etched into their mind

Daveski posted:

Do the patches usually run for the entire scheduled window, or do they often end earlier/later? The notice says it ends at 3AM PDT, which would be perfect since that's right when I wake up (on the East coast, not a crazy person)

If anything, they tend to come up 15-30min early. I can't remember the last time a patch went late, including the launch stuff.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Boten Anna posted:

Is it intended? :confused:

It's definitely not intended - as your collectability increased, not only did the rate you got clusters go down (because of Aethersand, naturally), but the amount you got went down. The clusters themselves are intentional, but not the volume (which might be 10x intended, if regular Moraines are anything to go off of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's been doing that literally since Heavensward launched. It's not remotely new, and I assumed they wanted to take the Crystal market out of the hands of those who have the easiest time benefitting from it: Bots.

This isn't quite right either. Higher collectability replaces the clusters with Aethersands, the volume of crystals stays about the same. Crystals are the standard of crafting in Heavensward, with shards being basically irrelevant now. You can either go for the aethersands, which are key to 1* and presumably red scrip mastery recipes, or go for crystals and clusters. It's a tradeoff.

Yeah, the volume of Crystals stays the same.. the actual volume of clusters (per moraine) is lower, though. I desynthed a few Radiant Moraines the other night at 4/8, and got between 25 and 35 Clusters for the ones that gave clusters.

• Locked thread