Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ActionZero posted:

God I wish I knew who used my RAF code so I could find out if they subbed enough for me to get Twintania immediately.

I also wish I'd taken all of Friday off work instead of just the afternoon, those hours are going to be the slowest in history.

when there are the inevitable server problems and you're bored at work just go read the official forums like the rest of us, it's the same thing but you'll get paid to do it

Who Dat posted:

I'm ready to play again, just need to get high enough in level to make a machinist because I only hit somewhere in the 20s with my arcanist. :negative:

you have a long, long road ahead of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Zaras posted:

Never said anything about not being able to sit through "a week's worth of fetch quests content".:shrug:

Realtalk, I tried fighting this battle a long time ago, you're not gonna convince anyone here. I agree with you, but, much like the warrior of light, the echo's pretty strong in this thread.

Plus you should just leave the "but they're WRONG" stuff at the door because who gives a poo poo.

Also I want to punch this kid who I kept alive when we first saw bismark right in the throat for being an obnoxious shitlord, and I'm so glad his dad did it for me. Spoilered because it can't hurt, it's really early leveling stuff in the sea of clouds

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 20, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

queeb posted:

MCH is fun and instant queues are funner

I found MCH at 30 really really boring, but I also don't really like bard dps either and they're really really similar, so YMMV.

Do they ever get a way to reload that isn't their two abilities?

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah since there's always people complaining but rarely celebrating, I just want to add, Heavensward is goddamned amazing so far and definitely lives up to the hype

The nice thing is they've managed to balance it so far. Like, yeah, there's bear rear end quests, but you can mindlessly do the like 2-3 of them while doing story stuff, and the story stuff isn't needlessly long, so it doesn't feel like a massive grind to get it done. They've really refined their storytelling to the point where if you like it you'll really like it and if you don't then it's basically a completely ignorable and not terrible aspect of the game on your way to 60 and raids/dungeons with buds. It's the best of both worlds.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 20, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I may or may not have paused to start blaring John Cena's theme song when I walked in to champion Tataru for the trial by combat. Also, I love that so many of the things coming up in these new quests, like the DRK first quest and in the MSQ, are solved by violence. Everyone freaks out, and then someone goes "well, you could just beat the poo poo out of these people and the problem goes away" and I just go "Finally, now someone in this game is speaking my language." It's very cathartic after the 2.55 stuff.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Maybe the poor timing is the leading cause of this, but this game is terrible. Literally every server is greyed out for making new characters right now. Bang up job there Squenix, launch an expansion to draw in new players but prevent them from actually loving playing. :thumbsup:

lol

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Doublestep posted:

MCH dps really shines once you get Rook and Bishop. Havent gotten Gauss yet but it's a 20% damage increase so

I did a Tam Tara Hard with a drk tank and me on MCH and it was insanely fast

From the little bit of DRK I've gotten through, they can lay out a surprising amount of damage if they line everything up right, so even if mch is pretty much right in line with all the dps like it feels like, DRK tanks would make it go quite a bit faster.

Also, cross classing all the good stuff and popping every cooldown as a MCH is something not enough people I've seen are doing, it's really funny to just completely roid out with blood, hawkeye, all the MCH cooldowns, ammo, and raging strikes and just go to town with aoe.

Furnaceface posted:

e: ^^^ I literally just bought it Thursday night before the Steam sale ended so I dont even have characters to log in to.

That could also be contributing to servers being slammed right now, forgot about the steam sale in all the hubbub.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I just finished the DRK 40 quest, and I'm really digging the direction this is going. Feels vaguely meta. :v:

Getting harder to resist going SMN or DRG for a while though, and actually start on the story. Or level MCH, which is starting to grow on me...

i need help

the only way out is through, just blast through 40-50 and then do the storyline as drk

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

vanbags posted:

Could you elaborate a little on this? Is this like WotLK where PvE gear shits all over PvP?

This game is not balanced around PVP in any way shape or form, if you join the battlegrounds you will become another belzac and hate literally every paladin you meet, the rewards are essentially cosmetic, and no one in the game really gives a poo poo about it.

The answer you're looking for is "no" but people like to try to put a positive spin on things here.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

bonewitch posted:

The problem for me isn't so much the lack of mobility, its the fact that everything pre-52 is about sliding in off-gcd's between your attacks. With minuet you're still expected to do that, except now you can at best, fit a single o-GCD in without clipping your GCD. It's just a huge pain in the rear end, and not fun at all; not to mention the bugs and latency issues it brings in.

So really they just made it so everyone has to feel a ninja's pain.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eimi posted:

Whelp...having gotten 58 and to test Blizzard IV some. It's awful. The timing does not play nice with procs at all. Get more than 2 and you risk losing Enochian. Blizzard IV is also a long cast time so you have to bear that in mind too. It's damned inconvenient. Not looking forward to Fire IV for more micromanaging of timers, procs, and movement, especially when by virtue of being .5 longer than your normal casts the IV's make movement even worse. Unless there is something ludicriously amazing about Fire IV, it's look forward to 3.1 time for blms.

Are you actually this guy http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3am9dn/the_state_of_dark_knights_the_unreliable_tank/

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should try actually making a point in the future instead of braying out "LOLLLLL R U A ST00PID REDIT MAN???".

eh, it's sunday, that's way too much :effort:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Also, the -10% damage debuff from the DRK's Reprisal stacks with the WAR's Storm's Path.

Between that and dark passenger being off the GCD I think maybe people don't like DRK because the don't understand the brand new class. It's quite shocking.

That being said, I have yet to see a good machinist in my path while leveling DRK, and I have to ask if the class is fundamentally not good or if it's just the players. I don't know which one it is because I only did the level 30 machinst quest and decided it wasn't for me, so I can't even tell if the machinists I get are doing it wrong or what.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Is there a way to report people in this game? Had some rear end in a top hat healer in this Leviathan fight I just did who left when he realized most of us were new and called us faggots on the way out. We kicked him for harassment, so hopefully dude gets punished in some way for being a jerk :mad:

Even though like 6 of us were new, we managed to finish it just fine on our second try with some occasional coaching from me (who apparently was the only one who thought to google a guide). That was a cool fight, glad it wasn't as tricky as King Moggle Mog was though.

e: fwiw my coaching was on the level of "we should probably get those adds" and "someone should probably tank the tail so we don't lose a healer," not trying to humblebrag about my pro strats

I can count the number of people who acted badly towards me and my friends on one hand in our time queueing with pubbies, so it's definitely not the norm to run across those people.

Also levi is one of my favorite fights because of the music and because the hard mode is bowling without the bumpers. It's a fantastic way to increase difficulty via mechanics instead of just "boss has more health and hits harder" like a lot of really uninspired design from other games I've seen.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Rei_ posted:

The problem MCH has even at 60 is that a chance-based proc combo was a bad idea designed make you use reload to which means your actual honest to god combo is on a loving cooldown which is kinda baffling. On top of that MCH brings very few things to the table that BRD doesnt already do without doing them better.

Which is lovely. I love this class's style and I want to play it, but we're talking beyond outlier progression MCH problems I mean these are problems you can see with the class all the way from Haukke Manor to Turn 13. Reload and Clean Shot combo are just loving boned and they need to make them more consistent to START making MCH a worthwhile class outside of It Looks Cool and I Like Shooting Thing With a Gun (both good reasons imho)

I've been looking up information on this because I'm at school and bored between classes, and some people are saying that you need to get gauss barrel before you can really judge MCH DPS because it's a big game changer, which is to be expected. The problem with that is that right now gauss barrel is a dps decrease because you trade about 30% of your dps in AAs for 20% increased damage on abilities. I'm not great at math, though, so maybe it really does even out at some point. Maybe you can drop guass barrel after dropping dots and your ammunition combo with some cooldowns and then put it back on when you've gotten a proc and your ammo back?

Also you still need to have balanced damage in low level content because they want everyone to be regularly going back and doing old content, so having a dps just be lovely at everything before 52 isn't cool. Last night I did a stone vigil run that took more than 45 minutes to finish with two Machinists. We didn't wipe on anything, and I wasn't pulling any differently than I do for other groups that take in the neighborhood of 30 minutes or so. It's been pretty consistent across all of the lower level dungeons that I've done for DRK that having a machinist in the group means the dungeon will take an extra 5-10 minutes, and having two of them guarantees it'll take an extra 15 or so. DRK feels like it's doing about the damage of a WAR, but even if I was just spamming flash for threat and doing no damage at all it wouldn't account for that much extra time.

On the other hand, DRK is baller as hell, definitely an A++ would roll again class.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mr E posted:

How the hell did I miss this, I though it might just be me being really dumb.

It's like when apple makes some feature that's so simple and intuitive you just don't think of it unless someone tells you. It took me like a year to find out that double tapping the circle button brings up all of the active processes on my iphone. It's a pretty humbling moment.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eimi posted:

To be fair...it seems almost every job has had some massive change. Monk is maybe the most similar at a glance but I'm no monk expert. I guess smn also got more in the 'finisher' department then changing core mechanics. But every is reeling with some kind of change to core play styles which means maybe jobs you liked previously are now different.

every single black mage is rubbing their hands together and saying "yesss, yessssssss" over and over again while cackling with glee over this bard stuff

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eimi posted:

We would be, but we're too busy crying over Enochian.

the best way to deal with your own problems is to laugh at someone else's

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

bonewitch posted:

That bard post pretty much covers all my problems with the post 50 skills. It just feels like such a huge departure from everything pre-50.

That's cool as long as you have the self awareness to realize why literally no one else feels bad for you over it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

Being that spiteful about this is really fuckin weird, dude. That reddit post points out a bunch of bugged or straight up poorly designed aspects of what bards are like now, if other classes have been dealing with this the whole time then I'm sorry I guess but I'd much rather see it get fixed for them than bards dragged down to that level.

The idea behind Wanderer's Minuet is fine, the implementation is absolutely not

It's not spite, it's a complete lack of sympathy. I see one actual bug with WM, which does suck but will hopefully get fixed soon, and it seems rare enough that it shouldn't be a huge issue. Everything else is either from the across the board AOE nerfs or things the rest of us have been using this entire time, and the fact that you don't even know what the basic game's mechanics are for people who aren't the master class is kind of depressing, and most likely the reason they changed bard the way they did.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Calihan posted:

Yeah it looks good on paper but falls apart quickly in practice.

The big problem is the random extra potency procs. It's like they were going for that OR the ammunition system and ended up throwing both in because reasons. The end result is just messy and encourages nonsense like ignoring your rotation and spamming your 1-2 shot to get the proc for 2 -3 before Reloading THEN doing the combo properly. It also introduces wild variances in your overall DPS as even if you do the combo rotation as normal, the damage swings varies so much between having procs/ammo/both or not. Then there is the problem of using anything BUT your basic 1-2-3 shots is a near complete waste of an ammunition stack.

It only compounds the issue of the overall sluggish damage MCH put out in general even if they are absolutely perfect with their execution.

Yeah, even if they buffed the potency numbers to fix damage output, having your combo be a coin flip to even happen just doesn't feel good. I was hoping ammunition would be like MY ANIME and using a caster pistol from outlaw star, but instead it just enables you to do regular dps. Like, how cool would it have been if MCH just got a regular combo instead, and then had different types of ammunition that interacted with each other to produce more damage so the skill lay in correctly swapping ammo in and out. It would have been unique instead of "bard with a gun and worse damage."

Also I dig the math chat, we should have more math chat because learning stuff like how AAs work is cool.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

hey ffxiv thread, what is your dark knight's theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LitDGyxFh4

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Also is Monk any good? It was my favorite before the real work took over. drat job and girlfriend

Monk is in a great place. They didn't change a whole lot in terms of playstyle, but instead got a lot of QoL stuff. You can change forms without a target or blow your greased lightning stack on a big attack so losing them doesn't hurt so much. And it's a kamehameha.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kaebora posted:

I've hit small walls, but the Roulettes really help - I think all together they're worth at least a 1/3 of a level if not more?

depending on which ones you do I think you can get upwards of half a level out of them. Some of them aren't worth it though, like sometimes trial roulette can give you titan hm and you'll be there for an hour for not much XP. I've been getting a lot of steps of faith from it, though, and that's usually easy enough as long as you take a second to explain what's happening for the new people (which is, coincidentally, precisely what they were aiming for with roulettes)

I usually don't bother with the guildhest and main scenario roulettes though.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Hey, thanks to whoever mentioned the ff14forums_txt Twitter account a couple pages back, because this poo poo is truly amazing. :allears:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Jia posted:

This changed in the 3.0 patch, thankfully.

plus trial roulette is a piddly amount of XP for some of the land mines you can trip while doing it, so YMMV but I've stopped bothering.

nothing like wanting that extra like 3% XP out of it and getting titan HM :smithicide:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Klades posted:

Ah, yeah, I forgot about Bulwark+Shield Swipe.
Yeah, DRK TP recovery is crappy.

What on earth are you spending that much tp on

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Endings posted:

DRK single target combos are all slightly more spendy than the base TP regen rate. They have few-to-no on-GCD free-or-discounted abilities (Shield Swipe, etc.) to help them spend less, and no TP regen abilities.

Eventually, unless you just stop hitting things, you run out.

Yeah, and so do warriors, who run into that problem much more quickly than dark knights do. It's a total nonfactor because by the time you need a TP injection as a DRK the boss is either dead or the inevitable bard/mch has dropped TP regen on the group for the other people who need it sooner.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eej posted:

Warriors can stance dance into Deliverance (if actually tanking) and hit Equilibrium for 200 TP every minute. That puts them way ahead of other tanks in TP management even if it means they miss out on one of their Fell Cleaves.

And that's offset by DRK having other buttons to hit that cost no TP, either because they cost nothing or they cost MP and mana management is the big game for them. Like, DRK can have other issues but TP problems aren't even on the list.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Eej posted:

The one upside to having to potentially use Unmend at melee range to save TP is that it's 30 more potency than Shield Lob and 20 more than Tomawhawk. :unsmith:

That plus it can proc a free unleash, and who doesn't like free aoe threat. It's like real estate.

fadam posted:

Do DKs have assy threat generation or something? I've seen two different DK MTs have the boss ripped off of them during burn phases by the OT and a BLM.

My working theory is that most of the DRKs who are 50+ now just stole turtle eggs and fate ground to 50 because of the long queue times, so now that they're getting instant queues they still have no idea how the basics of the class function and are therefore terrible at tanking. I made a point of grabbing a DPS from either my FC or linkshell and dungeoning up because I didn't want to not know how to tank once I hit 50+.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

there are people who aren't quite figuring out DRK and there are people who conceptually seem to be extremely bad at tanking. one of these things is much worse than the other.

given how popular DRK is on the RP server, a lot of what I'm seeing is probably both, DRK is a VERY popular class on balmung.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

(Now if only it was a little clearer exactly how Unleash worked vis-a-vis the "hit" going out compared to the animation...)

I'm glad I'm not the only one bugged by that. I think I'm starting to get a feel for it, but there's a strange disconnect there.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Klades posted:

If you're fighting a boss you're going to run out of TP and you will then have to do suboptimal things, which are better things than when other tanks run out of TP but still suboptimal. WAR is better off than DRK because they have zero-TP weaponskills they can use sometimes and in a real pinch I think they can stance dance and regain some TP.

Yes, if any of the tanks have 0 TP they will run into problems.

Whether they actually run out of TP in the first place is the point I'm making. When it does happen it will be incredibly predictable and much rarer than you seem to think it is. That's why it's basically a nonissue.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Also hilarious over-leveling means sometimes people will run it just for the sheer amusement that comes with knocking it the gently caress out in a tenth the time.

Is ST possible to do with just one group? Like, how many 60s would it take?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

To everyone who hasn't unlocked high level roulette:

I'm sorry it's annoying but just do it. You'll want it at 60 because you get an easy 100 tomestones from dungeons that everyone knows how to blow through in 15-20m so may as well knock it out now. While there isn't kill xp, you do get xp for finishing the dungeon and it's not terrible.

I don't think anyone said they were never gonna do it, just that there isn't a whole lot of point to doing it before 60 because they'd rather be leveling up. Just let people play the game the way they want to, and at 60 when they have the time to spare and aren't itching to finish the MSQ they can go back and do it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

and they should especially do tam tara hard for the creep factor.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Minrad posted:

Until you spend 15 minutes fighting Ravana because 3 dps fall off the edge :shepface:

There are a lot of landmines in the trial roulette. It's all about whether you want to gamble with your time or not.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

The imperative form was used for emphasis; that from the perspective of someone who has unlocked high level roulette on two characters within the last month, it's really worth doing even if it doesn't seem like it, not an attempt to force people to do anything, as that would be silly.

If you're gonna use the verb form for giving commands to people don't be surprised if they think you're giving them commands.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm almost at fifty, I should have the first msq by the middle of this week (assuming I don't get distracted :sweatdrop: )

Would you goons recommend checking out the Hildibrand stuff as soon as that is done or should I be trying to get to the new content asap?

If you wanna do it then do it.

If you're not sure then go do the first one, they're all pretty much the same kind of humor so if you think the first one is funny and/or entertaining the rest of them will be too.

If you just want to pound away at your MSQ to get to 60, then do that.

Tenzarin posted:

If your at lvl 60, and you need to upgrade your braced to do the expert dungeons. Run the last story dungeon before the trial, twice. You get 80 per and most like will get the 40 bonus for someone doing it the first time because there's no loot people arnt really going to be running it to gear out. Then go buy the 170 bracers from the shop in goblin town.

I'd have to check when I get home, but I had to replace a ring rather than the bracelets at 60 to get to 145+, so if you got really unlucky in the dungeons you may have to replace both. If you still have your roulettes untouched when you hit 60 I believe you can buy both since they're like 210 stones, I want to say.

Also, I like that they used kind of a soft gating for the tomestones/centurio seals so that if you really really want to you can just saw away at dungeons and A/S hunts, or you can just do the daily/weekly stuff and still get everything reasonably fast. I think the napkin math I did came up to about 20ish days to get everything and upgrade everything from the law vendor.

Which also reminds me: if you're doing trial roulette at 60 and inevitably get bismarck, don't be the other tank in my last group that just ran in and started it without saying a drat thing so we all wipe once because bismarck isn't a fight you can overpower with the power of your friendship or whatever. If you're not gonna say anything, at least let someone else type out the 3-4 things everyone needs to know so we're not here all day.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think y'all may have undersold just how great the music in the last zone is. I can't pin down why it's so great, it feels like some dark futuristic music, but it's not Deus Ex (at least, none of the new ones) and it's not Blade Runner, but it's too good to be something like Demolition Man. Maybe new Dredd? Anyways, Soken is in no way inferior to Uematsu.

It's really reminiscent of Mass Effect's music to me.

Jia posted:

He's using a Ruby one elsewhere, so that's unlikely.

I was under the assumption that the carbuncles didn't adhere to a primal because they're not primals. They're aetheric constructs that arcanists use as pets, so they're not drawing on the aether of any specific primal like a summoner uses. When you're in the cave with Matoya he says that the work she had him do was inspirational for him coming up with a new kind of carbuncle, and in practice it seemed to use the Topaz' spin attack and possibly the ruby's melee stuff, so it's probably just a mashup of different carbuncles that he already has access to. </sperg>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hrm...my Account Status in the Mog Station exemplifies that I don't have a license for Heavensward.

How does that work? I've been playing since early access and I'm able to download the expansion of the Playstation Store, what the hell?

The early access code isn't the same as the HW code, make sure you put in the actual HW code. I have no idea where it would have come from with a PS3, but that's probably it. The EA code had a grace period of about a week to let people get their actual HW codes and put them in.

• Locked thread