Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
What I am going to switch to for the 4 days until I get the free fantasia and probably immediately go back to miqote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tolth posted:

Can someone explain to me, as a relative newbie, why Fracture is a thing?

Back before we had the tools we have now there was a lot of debate on if you should use fracture or not as a mnk or a drg and there were a lot of dumb arguments based on nonsense because of this.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Rincewind posted:

So were they just deposited at the beginning of the MSQ at 50 and forced to level-sync their way through the whole thing?

Yes. I came in with a level 30 lancer and my first 8 hours of the game were spent getting caught up on msq.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Minrad posted:

Even though I'm planning to play with a friend who didn't want to either stay up late or wake up early to play HW, I still can't sleep. :mad:

All i'm hearing here is time to level a different job.

Edit: VVV Servers aren't due up for another hour.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Immediately kicked from lobby. :laffo:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

371 man quuueeeuuuee.

World could not be obtained.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Keraraydran posted:

Back in on Excalibur!

Same, now to see if it lasts.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Finished the MSQ so I can finally read this thread again. Figured I would throw out some thoughts on the leveling experience sans plot.

The easy part is that the MSQ was insanely cool. Easily the best FF in years, no question. Now on to the tedious.

The leveling experience here was not good. As incredible as the MSQ is, the zone quest lines in the first 4 areas are not. The questing just feels awful after coming off the Witcher 3. The Churning Mists in particular is the singular worst questing experience I have seen in years. A bigger pile of incredibly basic questing I have never seen. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much but the zones are really obviously designed with flight in mind and ground mounts are a huge afterthought. In particularly that meaningless wall on the West side of Tailfeather that forces you to trudge northward a fair bit and then loop back around to get to the entire other side of the zone is awful. Not to mention the 3 camps they send you to 4 or 5 times that all require running around cliffs. The balance of HW fates is really questionable as well. If I have my chocobo out then they are no problem but since that precludes me from being in queue I will be surprised if I ever do any fate grinding to level up other jobs. The last 2 zones were actually really well done thankfully, which is why I was so mad when I kept getting dragged into the older zones. I still can't believe I got a quest at 59 that sent me back to the churning mists. Also I ran out of quests 3 or so times and had to grind some low level dungeons, which was okay because...

Dungeon design is fantastic. The first one is a bit plain but every one after that just keeps getting better and better. The trials are also incredibly excellent. Other than my 90 minute queue times the first couple of days I have nothing but praise for their dungeons, although I haven't done any of the expert ones yet.

Lastly since nobody has talked about it, I leveled as a ninja. On the whole, I give the HW changes to the class a big ol' meh. Sticking the positional requirement on aeolian instead of dancing edge hurts while soloing but doesn't matter in groups so it's nothing more than an annoyance. The threat skills are neat but also really dull and I don't feel like they provide particularly valuable utility. Even the most mediocre tanks I ended up with had comfortable threat leads. I can mostly use them to cover for bad play in dungeons (like a tank leaving a ranged npc out of the AE pile) or trick monsters into attacking my chocobo. I really wish smoke screen was something else though. Dream within a Dream and Duality are both solid skills that just don't really spice anything up. Another off GCD damage skill is welcome, especially with the damage it does, but it's not really going to change anything. Same with Duality. Just more stuff to cram into the 10 second window after trick attack. Armor Crush is the only thing remotely close to a game changer and I am a huge fan of it but it already fucks me up when I get sync'd down to a level where I don't have it. It's still really nice though and definitely a fair trade-off for the sheer damage of Aeolian. If nothing else I am more consistently going into fights with Ninjutsu up so I can get better usage out of Kassatsu. My only wish would be to swap the animation of this with dream within a dream because that animation kicks rear end and it is a shame that it gets cut short a lot due to being off-gcd. My LB3 is cool as hell, no complaints.

My parses seem to indicate that my damage is ok, which I have found surprising. It felt like complete dogshit in the opening days. At any rate, compared to the cool things war, drg, and mnk got I am feeling pretty jealous. I should probably just be happy I didn't get the "cool things" brd got though.

TL;DR: MSQ rules, other quests drool, dungeons are the best they ever have been and nin is ok but I might switch over to drg.

Edit: Almost forgot; the music is so good holy poo poo. I really want to know who did most of the work on the music in the great library.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 24, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

So I've been playing this for two days now, just hit lvl 18. I had a few questions.

1. Are there any sidequest lines it would behoove me to get started on now that I will regret not doing later? I started as a Conjurer, if it matters. I just completed the emissary quest and visited the other 2 capitals.

2. Is it necessary to grind out at least one gathering skill and one making skill? If so, are any more in demand than others, or more valuable?

3. When is a good time to start leveling your secondary job class? I was aiming for White Mage ultimately.

4. I've been dumping all my stat points in mind. Should I just keep doing that? Are they ever refundable?

5. Anything I should really be aware of as a noob that I'm probably not? I've read most of the beginner guides but they can only cover so much.

I'm on a trial account as well, though I'll probably have to buy the actual game tomorrow or be stuck at the level cap. I'm on Goblin right now because character creation wasn't up on Excal. Name is 'Littlest Buddy.'

1. http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content This will tell you where all the important stuff to get is levels 1-50.

2. It isn't necessary but they are fun. In terms of demand, I can't help you.

3. There's no bad time to do it. When you hit 30 you need to go get arcanist to 15 to unlock the whm job. After that you will want 26 thaumaturge and 34 arcanist for cross class skills. It used to be that you could get to 50 before going back and getting these cc skills but with the level cap raised to 60 I don't know. My gut instinct is that 34 arcanist is nice but it can wait. 26 thaumaturge cannot. Get it as soon as you can be bothered.

4. Yes. They are refundable, you can get an item from your grand company once you unlock them.

5. Enough people have missed this so I will mention it. This button is your best friend http://eorzeareborn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Retainer-4.jpg. When you sell items it will show you what people are currently selling that item for. AH everything you pick up that sells for more than vendor price.

Transfer to excalibur at your earliest opportunity.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Rafzakael posted:

I generally do big budget items first since that's the worst part of the grind

e: beaten by sitting at post screen, woops

Same. Also for the extra vit which is underrated value.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Professor Latency posted:

Is ninja fun? I'm almost 30 and have an archer at 27 but I got bored as gently caress and bard doesn't seem that much more involved than archer.

Just about all the classes are dull before level 30. Nin is no exception.

That said, I main nin and I think the class is great and in a solid spot. I fairly consistently top meters in middling gear. It feels faster paced than most other dps classes because they are working off a 2 second GCD instead of 2.5 and you also have a fair number of off-GCD stuff so the class feels busy which I like. It also doesn't have all the positional garbage that monk does, which I also like because I am lazy. Ability timers all line up nicely which helps make the general rotation easy to grasp, at least to me. Also passive run speed boost is always one of the best things to have. Now that I have warmed up the new abilities I am really quite happy with it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

You sure about that one? The story behind Copperbell is basically "we dug too deep and we found hecatoncheires". Technically it's the other giant species that have enslaved them.

Yes, the giants were originally enslaved by one of the mining companies a few hundred years back. One of them breaking free of the mind control being used is what led to the mining company collapsing the mine and just sort of hoping that solved the problem.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Gearhead posted:

Yoshida has used Red Mage as an example of a class that does not work with the current paradigm. They're a class that uses some of their own gimmicks, but also uses abilities from three other classes, including a tank class's main hand weapon.

He's talked about going to a system where you start off from the start with a selection of basic classes which teach you their skill trees, then you add these trees, as a whole, together in valid combinations to add up to other Jobs, instead of having everything tied to the weapon you have in your hand.

I honestly hope they never implement something like this. It would be impossible to balance and I doubt most players could successfully navigate the system. Please look forward to your pubbies taking skill choice advice from Mr. Happy.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Just another reason they need to have a damage meter in the game. No one really knows what they are doing without it.

People who want damage meters (like me) can get them (I did).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

But if they add damage meters it might hurt that bard who's doing 160 dps at 60's feelings. And it's unfair to be judged for your personal performance in a cooperative videogame.

Based on the parses I've been seeing in my runs of things, can confirm: bards are useless.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

I started parsing Bismarck because I'm have zero luck with that thing (and since I'm not on Excalibur and don't have, like, raiding buddies to turn to or anything I have to rely on random idiots) and as a Bard I'm fairly consistently coming second or third in my parties and generally doing comparable damage to the rest of the DPS. Which speaks to how miserable a time I'm having trying to find DPS decent enough to get through it. I can hold my own, but the rest of the real DPS really really need to be holding their own too.

I was mostly just kidding. It's true that the majority of poo poo dps I have seen are bards, but I've also partied with a couple bards who were totally fine. Mostly that says to me that how to be a good bard got really opaque. Probably people trying to get a handle on minuet.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Edit: Nevermind got back in quickly this time, yesterday was like 10 minutes.

Double edit: oh no it happened again.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 3, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Few days back I finally got to make a character(not on excalibur) and played for a bit. Digging the game so far so I want to switch over to excalibur but I can't seem to because the server transfer tool says I have no characters. This has me pretty flummoxed as I don't know what is wrong, going by what the little mini faq says I seem to be doing everything correctly.

This is a shot in the dark but it might just be that you're too new.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Life is suffering. You'd think they'd give the gladiator looking gear to the gladiators.

About that;

here is the DoW set from the same dungeon.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Hy_C posted:

How is ffxiv? When I left the game the end-game consisted mostly of running the Wandering Palace dungeon about 1,000 times for gear to even have a remote hope of ever raiding. I've heard it's much better lately, but as a general rule, Asian MMOs are extremely, bizarrely, awfully grindy. So I wouldn't be shocked if you had to run dungeons, say, 500 times just to get into end-game. But then again, that's kind of how Asian MMOs roll, as a rule.

There are several things that are bizarrely, awfully grindy but all of them are optional. If all you want to do is see the story, run some dungeons and punch raid bosses you won't run into any of the really terrible grinds. Now, if you get involved with crafting, golden saucer, pvp, or the relic questline on the other hand...

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

nuru posted:

So basically absolutely nothing has changed and it's still going to be best to have 8 crafters and bleed forever as you get Lucis2 for all of them.

Great.

Not really, since the bis gear is going to be weekly capped scrip items (uhh probably I guess technically they could not be BIS but that would be so pointless) that are class specific?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Reason posted:

Is there any point to do golden saucer stuff after expansion? I'm a new player. Also is Triple Triad something you can play against other people and is it fun?

Same reason as before: cool glamors and because you like the mini games.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Dessel posted:

I'm just quoting this to say that is an extremely chill moment, kind of which this game needs more of executed in a proper manner.

Also, what's with the (around level 58 spoiler?) talking brooms? For a while I thought the weird stuff that doesn't mean anything was reference to the Twin Peaks scene with garbled speech? Is it?

Final Fantasy 1 reference.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

New VA is improved almost across the board, but Merlwyb and Urianger are hosed up now.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I absolutely hate how they are doing Alexander loot. I do not want to run these things the amount of times it would take to get 4 tokens every week. I would definitely much preferred WoD loot lock outs combined with the ex token system to cover for variance.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Since I have a bad history of not playing jobs correctly, I'd like to try and get some sort of clarity on what I'm to do with the new Ninja jobs.

Controlling enmity hasn't really been a big thing thus far, but now I have a Smoke Bomb enmity reducing buff and some sort of alternative to Shade Shift that also affects enmity? Am I to be buffing people now while I run my rotations, or does the level 58/60 skills form a complete combo that makes more sense? What should I be doing with these new abilities?

Shadewalker is great for putting on the tank as you pull a boss to give them an insurmountable threat lead. It is also good to use on not-bosses in case your tank is bad. Smoke screen I tend to just sit on and throw on the healer in case of emergency's. Sometimes a blm doing particularly fierce AE.

I was pretty down on these skills when I got them, but I actually end up using them quite often whenever I am in a group.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I haven't read the thread but has "it's ok, she only looks like a child she's actually 5000 years old" been trotted out yet?

I am pretty sure miqote have normal lifespans so probably not.

I would roll half-elf.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Malloreon posted:

Ninja feels like it just shits out damage. If the tank and other DPS (and healer sometimes) in a dungeon focus on mob A and I focus on same mob B, most of the time I can kill mob B before the others can take down A together.

I disagree. Maybe I am bad but I put out 950 dps at ilvl 176 while smn, mnk, blm and drg are doing 1100+ at i180. Unless the scaling gets really funky I don't think the discrepancy should be that big. AE in particular feels like it's fallen really fall behind.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 12, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So is Serpentskin the best gathering set right now? Is it worth melding?

It is currently the best, but whether it's worth melding or not I don't think can be said quite yet since there's apparently a bunch of new recipes coming with red scrip next week. I would wait until then before starting on melds personally.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

So to make peak amounts of gil/easy collectible crafts should I finish my Culinarian or give Goldsmith a shot?

I am damned curious what your hq rate is.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fumble posted:

Is there a point in the game where it starts to get awesome? I got up to the level 20 in the story and class quests, and just haven't seen anything so far that would make me want to keep playing.
The combat feels weak and unsatisfying and probably 80% of the non story quests have been pick up item from npc a and hand it over to npc b.
The bread crumbing has been quite bad and alot of times i was left in a dead zone because I'm not high enough level to pick quests up where the main story has taken me and not really knowing where to go. The map is fairly unhelpful and alot of the time unreadable.
What am i missing? Because i have heard a lot of hype about how slick and polished the game is ment to be, and so far haven't seen anything to justify it.

The games breadcrumbs are completely fine and not being able to use the map is on you because they are really great. Be sure to grab random quests in the cities you see, they usually send you off somewhere. Also, check the recommendations window a lot.

Combat sucks until the 30's to 40's depending on class. I feel like the main story is fairly dull until right after titan (34ish) at which point it gets to good enough to be interesting. The story doesn't get great until around 2.3 or 2.4 content which is at level 50.

I would say stick with the game until after cutter's cry which is 38. If you still think it sucks or aren't seeing any glimmers of being pretty good then you are probably done.

Here is a helpful link explaining where all the important unlocks are. http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

HelloPlatypus posted:

I did it.

...now to bite the bullet and finish FSH. :negative:

Fish is really easy now. The early collectables are so easy to spam.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Is it worth it to get the relic weapons?

They look cool as gently caress, so yes?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I do not understand why anyone likes maker's mark. Compared to the "Name of X" line it seems really inferior. With my gear, my rotation, and my food choice the name of+brand of combo will 1-shot 40/35 dura synths without ingenuity 2 which let's me get an extra hasty in. on 70/80 synths it's worth 550~ progress. Maker's mark does not do this. Even if all the maker's mark hits land, I will still have to either careful twice, or ingenuity II+careful which is way more costly from a cp standpoint. Plus, it slows the whole process down by adding 3-5 stupid steps to each gsm synth.

I hate it. Not too big a fan of the cul skill either because it falls flat in the same way, but at least it's only 1 action and 6 cp.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

seorin posted:

Maker's Mark is a lot better if you're not trying to land every possible Flawless it gives you. Use it to help a CZ tick down and fish for good procs to tricks. It adds a lot of time to the synth, yes, but very frequently results in an overall CP gain. There is a very noticeable difference when I use it vs. when I don't, especially on 70 dur synths.

I'm not a fan of muscle memory, though. There's nothing it does that I can't do better with maker's, name/brand, and rapid synth.

I don't follow. Are you using a second CZ?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You say that as if using CZ multiple times in a synth is strange.

It is strange to me. I have not done it.

seorin posted:

On 35, MM is less useful, but it's still usually a net positive to hit MM, CZ, and then start fishing for goods. Second CZ can happen occasionally, but much more rarely. However, the extra progress from MM almost always takes more difficult crafts down to two CS2s when it would otherwise take 3 (or CS2 + SS). I have mostly stopped doing this for 35 dur crafts as my stats get better, but I'll probably fall back to it when we get harder crafts.

My experience after level 55 or so is that goods fall off a cliff to the point where getting just the 1 good to refund the cost of maker's is in question.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 20, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Maker's Mark increases progress and costs zero durability. If you remove even one progress action from your rotation by using it, it's well worth it.

It doesn't. Or more specifically there have been a couple of niche cases where it does (crafting an aurum regis nugget at level 56 for example). Meanwhile the name+brand combo saves me a step in the vast, vast majority of synths that I do. They aren't even remotely close to parity in either usefulness or not being an annoying pile of crap that adds an extra 10-15 seconds of synth time.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Algid posted:

Why not? It's literally just more free cp if you have enough steps to tick it down.

Currently no room for it in the rotations I use. In the past, dunno. I tried it a couple of times and it didn't work out favorably but that was ages ago when I was still levelling things 1-50.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Clemocracy posted:

I started playing a week ago and am level 15 and like it so far as a lancer. I know mmos start out slow but like all the quests are kill '5 of these things' or 'perform some insignificant chore'. When do the quests start to pick up and be more substantive? Wish I could paste swtor level story stuff to ff14s better mechanics.

The story of the main quests and some of the side quests get really, really good the further you go in the game. In terms of what you are actually doing, never. It is always going to be punch some bears, collect some bear asses, touch this thing and they don't ever get fancy with it like WoW had in cataclysm and beyond..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Poultron posted:

Can someone explain the new Fishing abilities to me? They're nearly inexplicable. Is there a difference between Precision and Powerful hooksets?

Roughly, patience 1 and 2 radically boost hq chance while lowering the chance to pull fish in I think. While using patience you can use either precision or powerful hooksets and they will somewhat ameliorate the catching debuff. According to nerds elsewhere, you want to use precision when the controller vibrates once and powerful when it vibrates twice, which is useless advice to me as a keyboard user so I've just been assuming that the light and medium tugs are precision and the big tugs are powerful. I have no loving idea what snagging does other than make some fish available (for example, you need it to get pieces of blue cloud coral in sea of clouds) and you also turn it on to catch maps. Haven't done it myself yet but according to :siren:the internet:siren: you use it next to bodies of water to locate hidden fishing locations or some such.

• Locked thread