Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SpaceDrake posted:

I still say it's fun to go back into the older threads and see just how goddamn far we've come. Especially the old 1.0 threads, full of despair.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353297 - original retail thread, the dawn begins to break on page 62.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433215 - Yoshi-era 1.0, ends when the servers go down.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516878 - the transition, beta, and launch 2.0 thread. Watching people realize the game is good in this thread is just :allears:-inducing.

Now, of course, we get to fill the current thread with talk of bad DRKs and fracture. :v: So far, yet still so near~

I wasn't around until a few months after the ARR launch, so it's fascinating reading threads from the transitional period between 1.0 and 2.0.

How did the Legacy program work? 1.0 and ARR seems so different I'd assume it was something more complicated than just your character and all of your stuff being ported over, right?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

homeless snail posted:

All your poo poo carried over. So you come in at the beginning of the 2.0 MSQ with a bunch of 50s you don't know how to play.

So were they just deposited at the beginning of the MSQ at 50 and forced to level-sync their way through the whole thing?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Since most of your XP comes fro,m quests and not mob kills, am I correct in thinking it's fine to have my Chocobo out for leveling my first class through HW?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I had the arrogance to not structure my entire day around never being away from my computer for longer than thirty minutes like I did yesterday and now I keep on getting lobby errors whenever I try to log back in. :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm sad that MCH is apparently bad since I was looking forward to leveling it after I get PLD to 60. :smith: I just wanted to be a gun cat...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

BERGfu posted:

I got the monk's bard hat. The new clothing options are actually really impressive for even the level up gear

I'm really glad that level up gear looks and fancy in 3.0, because it means I won't look like a dork in cinematics. :sparkles:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Level 57 MSQ spoilers:

Goddamn it S-E let players have Y'Shtola's new hair :argh:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I finally hit 60 on my PLD the other day! I'm still getting used to my new abilities, though, since my level 50 abilities are so ingrained in my mind. When should I be using them?

Also, what should I prioritize spending my tomestones of law on? I already have the sword and shield. Should I start working on upgrading my right side gear?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

The only time anybody ever mentioned me being badly geared in this game was a healer apologizing for not realizing I was still at a low ilevel after after asking for bigger pulss and then letting me die. :shobon:

Even though sometimes full PUGs bungle mechanics or fail to beat bosses or wipe a bunch of times, I've hardly ever seen anybody get nasty about it.

Anyway! What cross-class abilities should I be using as MCH? I'm only like 34 or so, but I want to get into good habits.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Opposing Farce posted:

Counterpoint: if you're going to level MCH, the time to do it is now, while there's still plenty of DRKs in the sea.

And I'm basically just leveling MCH on the side because I like the feel of it a lot. I'm going so slowly that I'm sure the class balance will be better by the time I get anywhere near 60, anyway.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

It was pretty cool to start out with since even though it was pretty obvious that Solkzagyl was super not dead, it was cool seeing a class quest where you were the mentor to a young paladin and seeing him collect Paladin AF piece-by-piece as you progressed through the quest chain, in the end it just fell apart and became nigh-incoherent and pointless. Even though fighting Solkzagyl was pretty fun.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Opposing Farce posted:

By Heavensward they start just completely ignoring the fact that other people are there and don't even bother justifying it. Personally I think it's kind of hilarious.

I liked the bit in the leadup to Ravana where Ysale asks you not to let her get killed if you sneak off and spend too long buying potions or whatever.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Eej posted:

The survival of some of those NPCs could be considered a spoiler since quite a few of them are in danger of dying throughout the MSQ, just saying.

The NPCs are all just really minor side-NPCs, or ones whose sole purpose is to be TT opponents (like Idle Imperial), though? The major characters on the left are the cards they drop.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Post-MSQ spoiler: When Generic Hyur shows up on the moon, is he a WAR for everyone, or does he change to whatever job you are?

He was the generic male Hyur WAR for me, too. I was a female miqo'te PLD.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Is there a way to have vertical hotbars change when you change classes?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yes, click the little gear box on your chat box, then go to the hot bar setting (two cross looking button) then the sharing tab.

Thank you!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

2.55 and general HW spoilers: I really unironically like how much everything blew up in Alphinaud's face, especially with respect to the Crystal Braves, since up until that point it seemed like a very common MMO sort of story-- the special NPC who everyone defers to for some reason and gets a cool army and a leadership role while the player is just a supporting character. Alphinaud was never as egregious as characters like Thrall or Trahearne from Guild Wars 2, but I definitely saw shades of them in him-- especially Trahearne and his Pact army paralleling the growth of the Crystal Braves.

Alphinaud's arc in HW where he comes to terms with his mistakes and arrogance and tries to pick up the pieces was super compelling as well.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

When I'm tanking, I tend to commend (in rough order of priority) anybody who goes out of their way to be nice to new people (explaining fights, etc.), anybody who tells funny jokes, the healer (unless they seem noticeably awful), or whoever has the funniest username or coolest glamour.

As I've been leveling MCH, I've been commending every DRK who isn't completely loving horrible at tanking, because it always feels like a goddamn miracle.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Cats are actually really cool and good.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

quote:

Q28. You can often see some type of airship flying around the Sea of Clouds...what is it?

A28. I think you'll find out in 3.1. For those that haven't seen this, keep an eye out!

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Mazed posted:

Merlwyb earned my undying loyalty when her response to a respawning bad guy was to calmly shoot him again until the eldritch god watching it unfold got tired of it and just ate him.

That scene single-handedly made me want to level a gun class whenever they got around to making one.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

quote:

Q90. I'd really like to listen to the field music even while engaged in battle, so could you add an option to turn off the battle music?

A90. Soken: We will look into this.

I'd love to be able to do this during hunts! Hunts are always kind of a chillout thing for me, so it'd be nice to not have the battle music start blaring at me whenever I actually find the mark.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

This thread sure is... something awful!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Is the FFXIV:ARR soundtrack available for purchase as a download anywhere? It's on the iTunes store, but only as 82 separate $1.29 tracks, and I could only find it as a physical disc on the S-E store.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Intoluene posted:

Always read leve text. :catstare:

:stare:

Ishgard is so hosed up.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Speaking of Divine Veil, when are the best times to use it? I've figured out what to do with most of my new abilities, but I'm still kind of feeling out that one.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

mulodyne posted:

i've been on cactuar since the end of closed beta and ive only seen the goon fc tag once, so I can only guess 'not very'. you're probably going to have to transfer if you want an active goon fc

I've been on Cactaur since, like, November 2013, and I didn't even know there was a goon FC.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I have noticed that, for whatever reason, even when PUGs go terribly and wipe on DPS checks or mess up basic mechanics or whatever, it seems exceedingly rare for people to get salty about it in party chat or yell at one another or whatever. I've had FFXIV duties where the party or raid wipes repeatedly and it either takes a million years or just gets abandoned, but I've also had WoW LFRs or even heroics like that only you also have somebody hurling racial slurs or whatever at everyone else.

Once I had a group that couldn't even manage to clear the Vault and voted abandon, but I bear it a lot less ill-will than I might have otherwise since they seemed very nice and polite.

And obviously it's not always like this, but the in-game community here really does seem genuinely less toxic than it does in any other MMO or multiplayer game I've played.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Sometimes in groups you just get outright bad advice, too. Like the Brayflox where "Gohan Sama" the DRK told me that, as a MCH, I should use Blank in dungeons all the time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

drink slurm posted:

if you can toss things into rocks / walls so they dont go far its a free dps ogcd vOv

He specifically wanted me to knock things away from him and then leg graze them so they'd come back to him even slower. Maybe he was thinking in terms of mitigating damage by minimizing the time mobs he had aggro on are actually attacking him, or something?

It was really weird, anyway. He seemed so excited and totally stoked when I finally just did it once to shut him up I didn't have the heart to press the issue.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

So... he was right????? Like when HW came out everyone was complaining about MCHs using Blank and hurtling mobs away from the tank in dungeons????????????????????????????????????????

maybe i shouldn't be allowed to play video games

edit: or at least DPS in them

edit: so as a tank should i not be annoyed when mobs are knocked away from me??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

it looks like the one who was bad at video games................ was me................................... :smith:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

SirPhoebos posted:

I skipped through the 2.55 cutscenes. I guess I just had enough PLOT to churn through, and it was pretty easy to figure out what happens.

N... nooo...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

There are a lot of really interesting posts about the process on the localization format, and they all point to a lot of back and forth between the EN and JP writers.

Koji posted:

I wanted to pop in to clear up some confusion about how a lot of in-game terminology is conceived. It is often (understandably) believed that localization has little to do with the game beyond translating what the development team creates for the Japanese version. While translation is a large part of our job, what is not known by many is that the EN localization team plays a large role in the creation of a lot of in-game terminology and lore which is then localized back into Japanese (with liberties often taken by the Japanese team so that the text might appear more appealing to their target Japanese audience).

The case with player titles is one of many aspects of this game where the localization team is called in to create content, with the Japanese then going off the English. In this case, the dev team has taken it one step further (or maybe it's actually closer?) by not translating the titles into Japanese and using English in the the Japanese version.

The rest of the post is worth reading too-- he goes into how player titles are in English in both the English and Japanese versions of the game, but different vocabularies are used in each because the Japanese version's titles are aimed at an audience that doesn't speak English as its first reason.

edit: is belzac secretly that weirdo from the official forums who posted asking for a more literal translation closer to the original nihongo

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

bonewitch posted:

The lightning events were for XIII games coming to PC, so they'll probably do one more when the last one gets ported (unless i've totally lost track of how many there are). Shantotto was for the 1 year anniversary I think?

Lightning Returns still isn't on PC yet, so I'm assuming we'll have at least one more Lightning event.

Which is good since I still need the chestpiece from it. :v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

nuru posted:

I don't try to argue against people being pretty anymore , but you're right that the cost of the PLD weapon makes it a crazier choice.

I'm not doing any cutting-edge content, I'm going to get all the esoterics gear eventually, so, drat it, I'm going to look pretty sooner rather than later. :sparkles:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

dreffen posted:

It was crazy dumb how many people kept insisting that DRKs were not good at release.

Well, the DRKs I kept getting in LLDR sure weren't good! :rimshot:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

It sounds like it's a system like WoW's flex raids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Like basically all of the dungeon music in HW it's really great.

• Locked thread