Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Comcast in Florida was getting hammered a few days ago as well. Like I said, just grab the free version of wtfast. It's really good.

It does seem to have fixed the issue. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So just random bitching, I'm the person who hates 60 blm. Scrub, git gud, whatever, it took a class I did like and made it stressful and unenjoyable for me. So on that, have any other blms jumped ship, and if so, to what ship did you jump to? I have a mnk at 60 but it just isn't satisfying in the way 2.0 blm was. I'd like something that is essentially the fury war of classes. Because simplicity and hitting hard are valuable qualities.

e: further proof I am an idiot

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 27, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

People keep saying this, but how the heck do all of you manage to avoid a place with a mender for so long that you'd ever need to self-repair? They're everywhere!

Selfrepair gives you bonus durability and is cheaper than spending gil. But its not needed for that exact reason.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

seorin posted:

As a now ex-BLM and omnicrafter since 2.0, Heavensward has been a bit underwhelming to say the least. :smith:

:smith::hf::smith: Certainly how I feel right now.

quote:

I HATE being top DPS on Faust, second otherwise with only a machinist in the party doing physical debuff.

Not everything is about dps numbers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

On playing blm post thundercloud, it doesn't really feel better, just more of a sideways change? At least my understanding of the math is TC was only good when the dot was close to expiring, any other time it was less than F4. And it still runs into AF juggling. It was nice to have a sometimes up ability for movement. But from when I tested it out, its the type of thing where you want the proc to happen at a specific point in rotation so it doesn't mess everything up and if it does its a good thing.

As for what I'd have preferred, either Enochian is more of an actual cooldown, like Enkindle thematically. You go super mage form for 30 seconds and then just pray for it to be back up. Or if it's staying as, I dunno, at least like F4 proc Firestarter? I mean I'd prefer for F4/B4 to just add one stack of their buffs, but at least if F4 procced Firestarter it'd do some more to bring the fun little proc game blm had at 50 back to 60.

Also ironically, I've been playing monk now, and in the fights I've done (nothing savage I'm bad), monk has been way, way easier to play. :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Stanfield posted:

This is me as well, except I switched to SMN. It's weird how much this is getting me down too. I like most of HW but everything feels kind of tainted by Bard just not being fun anymore.

And I don't really get the thought process behind the change either. I haven't played them all but most jobs in HW seem to be a natural extension of what they already were, whereas as Bard is almost the exact opposite playstyle of what it was before.

A lot of it feels just like complexity for complexities sake. Monk and summoner are the two dps where I can say they looked at what the class had wrong, and fixed it. Bard very clearly got changed from one thing to another, and I feel blm did too. Dragoon is in the middle. I guess it's an evolution of the job, or just trying out new things but keeping them in the same context. It works for me at 58, where the biggest issue I have with it is the random finisher. There is also their refusal to ever obsolete a button, and it can leave classes feeling bloated as hell. (My ninjas hotbar in particular is in a very sad state.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Just give me the catgirl pigtails on Au'ra, please.

Au'ra hime cut for Midlanders Yoshi Please.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

B2, Freeze, Apocatastasis and so on have always been weird situational bennies, but in particular a bread and butter spell like Fire 1 actually has a core trait keeping it important. If Fire 4 could effectively replace Fire 1 it'd make Firestarter come up barely ever.

In general, I wouldn't really agree that abilities obsoleting each other at higher level is a BLM thing - T1 vs. T2 is really the only piece of egregious redundancy that comes to mind (though if you ask me, it's T2 that's largely pointless), everything else has at least situational use. Hell, there's even a situational difference between T1 and T2, it's just such a minor and abstractly mathematical one that it's almost impossible to notice and act on it with any degree of regularity.

I was actually hoping that T2 would get changed to a short-duration AoE, or T2 would become T3 while T3 becomes a shadowflare-esque thunderstorm zone, or something, but nothin' doin'.

Nothing says F4 couldn't proc Firestarter too. But in general with this expansion its in many ways button overload so they will have to start replacing stuff sooner or later. But with regards to Thunder yeah, it's always been a weird situation with how red headed stepchild T2 is.

Also a Thunderstorm zone sounds kickass, it should happen.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Thanks to the goons that ran me through Garuda tonight so I didnt have to wait in the half hour queue. Also thanks to the other goon that told me to stick with the game until at least this point because the story gets better. You were right!

Now my only question is when do I get to start playing the pretty princess part of this game, Im tired of subligars.

At 50 is when you can unlock the items that let you change an items appearance to another, called glamours. They are made by crafters and are usually cheap, but it can be a major pain in the rear end getting used to, as it's a bunch of useless extra bits. For example, say you want to glamour your pants into two items, a level 60 item or a level 1 item. You have to buy the right prism for the craft type of the item, and then the rank of the item which can be fairy arbitrary. At least you don't need to know this, as when you attempt to do a glamour it will tell you what you need, but yeah it is clunky.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Aside from Esoterics chat, Tenzarin posted earlier about doing a just 3 F4 rotation for blm. I've been messing around a bit with it, and while my dps doesn't seem higher, it also isn't lower. I'm not very good and I've just had a handful of Alex runs and its not like I have reams of logs using the old rotation to compare against, but it seems that at least Thunder keeps your damage up. So maybe it is better? :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Thanks for the Sailor Moon glamour idea. I think it works better with the hyur skirt though, even if it is red. Also needs some new gloves but whatever.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Athenry posted:

Still waiting on that dancer's outfit they teased before HW's launch.

Search for Thavnairian on the market board. Then bitch about the price.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

seorin posted:

Midlander haircuts are what I missed most when I was Au Ra. They have so many good ones, and I hate most of the Au Ra ones. :(

This is funny to me, as a midlander I really wish I had some of the highlander and Au'ra haircuts. Specifically the Highlander long hair with bangs + no headband, the one the Gladiator's guild girl has, and the Au'ra Hime Cut. I hope that while they keep adding new haircuts they continue to open up old ones for all races.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bleuraindrops posted:

Flames is the best on Aether (and currently have 10-30m queue times). Pubbies on Adders and Storm are both incredibly dumb but adders has a lot of premades so sometimes we win. Adders queue times are at most 5 min. No idea for storm. Queue times are for Seize though, the level 60 PVP, other modes will be longer for all GCs.

Edit: also it's only frontlines (8v8v8 up to 24v24v24, unlocks at 50) that is GC restricted. Wolves' Den is not (4v4, unlocks at 30).

Adders motto on Aether is "...at least we tried." If you like second place, Adders is the GC for you!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

seorin posted:

This is basically what I do. I'm not super pro or anything, but I'm almost always top DPS and it gives me a lot of flexibility with enochian. If I have some good turret time I can just refresh it, or if I know a phase change is coming up, I can squeeze out some extra time and then save my refresh for after the change.

Yeah the fancy 6 f4 opener is fun and you can do it no matter what. I feel like the 3x F4 is easier to pull despite the requirement to sit there for 9s. For whatever reason, I can pull it off better and it feels better than the 2x F4 F1 2x F4. Also going with the 2xF4 I have a much harder time slipping in Thunder casts or responding to casts due to how it takes longer to pull off and thus requires more Enochian on the clock.

I mean either way Enochian is a dumb anti-fun mechanic, but at least Tenzarin's way lets me play blm without actively hating every second of it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Doublestep posted:

Then don't play black mage

I don't like mudras that doesn't mean I'm going to play ninja without them

Because I'm not a massive baby who hates change

A terrible analogy. They didn't introduce ninja and then slap in Mudras after an expansion pack. Wanderer's Minuet is the correct thing to say we are babies for not liking.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Enochian is cool and good and fits fine with the BLM design philosophy of being a meat turret.

I still kinda wish they hadn't obliterated Manawall's utility, though, since unlike ninjas and perfect dodge we are actively encouraged to play AoE chicken.

e: I will say that giving both Machinist AND bard a "stand still to do more damage" mechanic seems kind of dumb, they should have given it to one class and not the other to differentiate them more.

That kind of sums up what I feel about HW did to the dps classes. So mnk had to watch positioning and drg had to deal with a strict rotation and timers and just gently caress it make every dps deal with the same thing. I mean its not 1 to 1 but things feel far more similar now than before the expansion. Meanwhile War and Drk experiment with alternative resources beyond gcds and tp better than actual dps classes do.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I for one think we should literally exterminate every fantasy race that lives to be older than like, two hundred years old or so, because if the story of Heavensward and every other piece of fantasy media has taught me anything it's that long lived races seem to think that living a long time gives them a license to act like goddamn psychopaths over crimes commited by random motherfuckers from who knows when.

It's a good thing dragons love to keep loot on them. Long live the dragoons! :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I just want the aura hime cut for midlanders. :negative:

(I voted for 4 because it looked the cutest.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GknFZHY9XAA

I don't really know how to describe this other than amazing. :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress that. I'm sick and tired of short hair. 95% of the hair in the game is short hair. There are no good long hair styles. Give me some big bushy long hair please.

I think it depends on the race. As a midlander we are stuck with far too many short hairstyles and not enough long ones. Highlanders and aura are probably the best there. :smith:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sorry to distract from Elinchat, but has there been any new info on 3.1? Either when it's coming, or ideally what changes it will actually bring?

I mean I doubt it will 'fix' what I want, but I've all but quit after the expansion as I feel that it made every dps job too complex for me to enjoy, so I'm kind of holding on 3.1 for I guess any changes. So has there been any noise on that front?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Velthice posted:

they're supposed to talk about 3.1 at tokyo game show soon, but they're probably never gonna make any dps classes simpler than they already are. if you want something simple, play monk because its basic rotation didn't change at all in 3.0, it just got a couple more off globals and a button you can press when bosses go invincible, which is all the time

Sadly what I was expecting. And I tried to swap from BLM to MNK, but MNK didn't scratch that itch that 2.0 BLM did. About what I was expecting, I suppose, thanks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Speaking of Diadem, I've only recently come back after a long break due to gently caress Enochian, and trying black mage again, is all the cc and random bullshit that happens to make casting a pain in the rear end avoidable in any way? Because at least for the couple of hours I did it tonight the design seemed really sadistic on top of how Enochian is already awful.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Scrublord Prime posted:

I think VA's biggest problem is that most of the gear looks like poo poo.

I think the caster/healer gear for VA is pretty good. In general though, it does suffer from not being able to be dyed. :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L41DwQ4f3FE

the difference in the cutscenes should be telling enough for this

What cutscene is this? As I don't remember that specific flourish, but then again 2.0 and stuff was quite a while ago. I play with JP voices on, so now I'm curious how the interplay of English Client and JP voices vs JP client and JP voices goes.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Performing your theoretical optimal rotation or priority system is substantially harder in content that doesn't let you just stand there and turret. Which is most content.

To call classes like Monk or really the game in general simplistic is doing the developers a huge disservice.

poo poo if anything I'd say this game probably has the most complex classes of any mmo I've played.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

What other MMOs have you played, if any?

WoW, SWTOR, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA, tried Blade and Soul, FFXI, probably more than I can think of. The only one that would come close is WoW, and I only played very casually in MoP, but I felt the classes I played then (Frost DK, Ret PLD) were very simple compared to Mnk and Drg. Granted it might be because XIV doesn't allow the panoply of UI mods that simplify poo poo that WoW does.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 28, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mr. Unlucky posted:

which classes are the most interesting? I am fine with any playstyle, I just want to try some new stuff. I realize this game is basically a reskin of wow but there are probably a few new ideas and mechanics to check out. I havent looked at everything yet but so far ninja and astrologian seem fun. any other recommendations?

Warrior and Dark Knight are cool tanks with fun mechanics. Warrior essentially has combo points to do additional moves (that hit really hard and are generally awesome) and Dark Knight has to manage their manage in addition to TP for some cool stuff. Monk has the most fluid and open combo options, though it has to deal with positionals on nearly every attack, so ymv if you like that or not.

Thumbtacks posted:

back to the drawing board. I wish I could just queue as a DPS warrior, that's possibly my favorite thing. Fell Cleaves are hilarious. Maybe I'll just play blm since that's the big numbers spec

Drg is the third in terms of pursuit of big rear end crits, but BotD is a much better form of Enochian.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 28, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol:

FFXIV's classes are more complex than Aion's? Yeah no. Give me the positioning requirements of FFXIV melee DPS over the skill blitz, auto-attack clipping clusterfuck, that is Aion.

I'd love to have a Warrior Priest melee healer in FFXIV though.

I never played just melee just Sorc, a class I really enjoyed and is one of my fav mmo mages. :shrug: (I also quit at like 30 because I am not a pvper.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I find Enochian a lot more enjoyable than Blood of the Dragon. I feel like Blood of the Dragon requires me to pay too much attention to how much time is left on it before I use Geirskogul, while with Enochian I've gotten into a rhythm where I know about how long I can spend in fire before switching to ice to refresh it.

Of course, BLM is my main and I play it a lot more than DRG so I've gotten a lot of practice with Enochian. It just clicked with me faster than Blood of the Dragon did

I'm by no means a DRG expert, I recently came back since 3.1 and I've spent that time trying to find a new class to main, as I initially really loathed Enochian. So I've been bouncing between nin, drg, and blm. You are right that the timing for Geirskogul is a pain, and I kinda get around that by not using it til I KNOW it's really safe, so I'm a terrible drg, but it feels like I can play a decent level and just not worry about BotD, as it builds up vs Enochian counting down.

I've given blm another chance, and while I'm not as down on Enochian as I was when I first hit 60, any kind of complicated fight I just fall apart and hate myself and the class.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Using whatever the ACT equivalent was in FFXI to change the zone music to this one everywhere really made grinding XP more peaceful. Probably my favorite track from XI (really fun to play on the guitar as well!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TnSMXcp2Hg

No love for Distant Worlds? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asz9kyoLDPI Its kinda goofy looking back, but I loved how they made the main musical motif, Memora da la s^tono, part of the actual world.

Also the XI event quest used another favorite Recollection. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2U6x2yj3GM

Soken does boss battle music amazingly, but the ambient game music of XIV never really caught me the same way as XI's did. Granted that might be because of how terrible a game XI was so you would have the music burned into your very soul by the end of it so... :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Pews posted:

They've released some pretty terrible content over the last 2 months. And this is what they've been working on so hard after the xpac launched?

Also it sounds like you could pick up a 2nd job, make extra money and buy gil with it, then use that to pay for an a4s clear for a 210 weapon and it'd probably be cheaper and faster than the relic grind.

I'm not happy about HW in general, and poo poo like this and Diadem seem to me they are doubling down on the worst things instead of learning from their best things.

Certainly this seems much worse than any other previous relic step. And I love that they shoehorn crafting in yet again, especially now that crafting is even worse than it was at 50.

(:suicide:)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Having thought about this over work, the worst part to me is that they didn't try and mitigate the grind by tying it to poo poo you'd want to do anyway. For example, what if instead of 3 hours a loving day of running Alex, it was 2 months of EX? That'd still suck, but you probably want to do EX roulette anyway, so it'd be a thing you did a long the way. Or if they released this with the Vanu quests, so while leveling your Vanu rep you got credit for this hellgrind. I mean in an ideal world it'd have been actual new, interesting content, but gently caress tying it to things like EX or weekly VA would've been so much better. By putting daily/weekly caps on this poo poo, and tying it into things that are intrinsically good, it doesn't promote as much self inflicted suffering, because all MMO players are masochistic as gently caress.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

LordNat posted:

I think FF14's biggest issue is the lack of staying power in most it's content.

Raids (both 8 and 24 man) mostly come down to avoiding AoEs while trying to get off your 5-6 button rotation. The bosses tend to be farily bland and unmemorable. 90% of fights are avoid AoE, do X thing when the boss become immune, pop healing/tanking cool down after you did the thing and the boss hits the group.
Even the classes are mostly bland, just differing flavors of the same idea. FF11's jobs each had their own life and personality to them for the most part at least.
Really I think my biggest issue with HW is in 2.X most if not all the best content was 4 man Dungeons. I enjoyed doing my EXDR each day since it was fairly fun content. The HW Dungeons are kind of awful and just all around unfun. Only having 2 in EXDR is annoying as you get no real variety in your daily grind.

They really need to stop making lovely side stuff that does not even last a month before becoming a ghost town and start making interesting encounters again.

Well I think you're right that there are issues with the lack of 3 dungeons and instead of 2 dungeons. I'm the mostly dungeon running, 24 man doing, trial doing casual, and HW does feel less rewarding. Now the 2 new dungeons are great and much, much better than the first two, so part of that might just be that the first two dungeons were awful.
With regards to trials, Pope EX looks/feels too hard for me to want to try without a static (:ohdear:) but Ravana was really good, even if Bismark was poo poo, and neither of those needed a static.
For the raids I think part of it is just that Void Ark feels and looks really close to World of Darkness, so it ends up being samey. Culchulhain is entertaining enough as a fight, though I agree Enchida is mediocre. (Granted for me personally its that they made more classes feel like monk so bosses that jump up into the air are the loving worst now)

Part of this might just be that the dev team burned out on the insane patch schedule of 2.0. If you told me everything in 3.0 and 3.1 was from the B team I would have no trouble believing you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Edit: double post. :argh:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 18, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Klades posted:

Personally, I'd like to see some (compared to now) bold job balance changes in each patch and some content that's a little more than "don't stand in the orange circles, dps harder" at all levels of gameplay.

This is interesting to me, because while I think that performance wise, classes are mostly in a good place, at least from my, not super informed, perspective, but the design philosophy seems kind of...off. I'm not sure how to put it into words, but in general what they changed for HW seems to generally be a goal of "MORE complex", though for some jobs this feels well thought out, and other times it feels like they just threw stuff at a dartboard and went with what stuck. It doesn't feel very inspired.

War, Mnk, Smn in particular all felt like that received stuff that complimented their weaknesses in 2.0, to the point of making War god mode. Blm and Enochian is basically sure it pumps your numbers up to melee dps levels which is cool and good, but it totally changes how the class played and doubled down on its weaknesses. Blood of the Dragon is a better Enochian in this way, while feeling out of nowhere for drg, it is pretty well done and allows the player to control the difficulty curve; as you get better you fit in more Geirskoguls, if you're bad like me you touch it a lot less. Brd feels like someone just wanted to make a different class. And nin is just...to me adding a positional on Aeolian Edge just feels petty, but I hate positionals and don't feel they add that much unless it's something like BotD and the two finishers.

Most of this isn't bad, mind you, just it doesn't feel like most of the things were changed to make the classes better, just to make them different/more complex. And plenty of smalls tweaks could make things more fun. It feels like they just rushed all this out, especially given that players never touched the class changes before live. Now that is classic SE, but part of the appeal of this game to me was how open the devs were. Seeing Yoshi P go and talk about various design stuff, very publicly, helped make up for 1.0 and to dispel the impression of SE from my FFXI days were they were very much a "Oh player feedback? gently caress YOU" company.

It's a small microcosm but the devs feel out of touch, and how a job plays is the baseline for how players interact with the game, and a good class experience can help shore up a game when its content is flagging.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Grimace posted:

I liked the simplicity of Black Mage... but I'm probably in the minority.

Nah I way preferred 2.0 blm. I like simpler classes, I loved Vanilla-WotLK Fury war in WoW for example. :v: At least drg is straightforward, if not as cool as blm.

Emzedoh posted:

Remove the diminishing returns on Blizzard IV, let BLMS keep it up like DRGs can.

or (And this isn't happening)

Throw out Enochian altogether and just keep the Fire IV not renewing Astral Fire thing for the complexity. I also wish Blood of the Dragon worked like Greased Lightning and activated whenever you used a combod

2.x BLMs were kinda simple in hindsight, though.

Either of those would be great. I'd love them ditching the cooldown aspects entirely, but yeah, wouldn't happen sadly. 30s default refresh would be fine, as the limiter is still your mp, so the extra duration just gives you more time to react to stuff. And I dunno, I wish Thundercloud would also refresh Astral Fire, as I don't like the fact that basically you can only use your proc at a specific point in your rotation due to all the timers you are juggling. All poo poo that won't happen sadly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Belzac posted:

I'm glad that Yoshi-p is finally starting to admit that pretty much everything they've released since HW launch has been absolute rear end. The bad news is they're not planning to fix it for the next several months and haven't announced they don't plan to go forward with the materia change. This means they're only just starting to see that they've gone full retard and it'll probably still be poo poo in 3.2.

I totally forgot about that and I really, really loving hope it doesn't go through. :suicide: Especially because once it's in, it's in and they are not taking it back, due to players having to pay to put materia in their poo poo.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd just add that I feel that drg is least reliant on positionals, but that may just be a feel thing, but I don't feel as horrible bricking Wheeling Thrust/FnC as I do missing Aeolian Edge or even worse Trick Attack. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

They should get rid of the damage type debuffs anyway. It's silly that a bard needs to have a dragoon to do their maximum potential dps.

I get why they are there, as they want to force you to use a rotation, but it is lovely for the classes that don't provide their own. Also I agree with Belzac, I'd prefer less support more even selfishness in dps classes.

• Locked thread