Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vil posted:

Tempered Will is absolutely situational rather than a standard rotational ability, but it's really nice for those situations.

isk posted:

Tempered Will is amazing at times.

--More DPS on final Neverreap boss
--Showing off when the ST dragons descend
--Removing Heavy from random world trash you're trying to run by

You won't use it every day, but you'll be happy it's there when you need it.
To put this in perspective, Tempered Will is just as powerful as Hallowed Ground in that it allows you to completely ignore a mechanic for it's duration. (Arguably even more powerful since some attacks pierce Hallowed.)

It's one of those abilities where you look to find uses for and get rewarded for it.
For Example: the second boss in The Vault where he Hyperdimensional Cut's twice followed by a roomwide knockback to send you into them? If the arena's rather lousy with them and you don't want to stand with everyone else to risk them getting cleaved you can put your back to a big ol' clump of them, hit Tempered Will and not go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mazed posted:

(last scenario things which I haven't even finished because I'm bad at not mousing over spoilers)
Warriors of Darkness are an FF1/3 callback and are completely separate people from the Warriors of Light. They're essentially the 'heroes' for when forces of Light get too strong and throw things out of balance.

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, there's a couple of times throughout the story (I think it only starts happening in 2.5 and it seems like they're kind of slowly rotating through all of the classes so everyone can have a "hey remember that other thing you did" moment) where you get different dialog based on what classes you've completed-- Estinien mentions you being an Azure Dragoon if you've done the DRG quests, the THM and ACN guild leaders say something about you when you visit them, stuff like that.

It happens even in incidental meetings as well, even if it's just a 'Hey $playername, hows the $job stuff coming along?' As someone who max leveled everything to 50 before HW it's nice to have those little reminders. Makes NPC's seem more like people.
I really liked when you go to Y'mhitra for the main quest. I was like 'that name sounds familiar, wait she's by Apkallu falls? That's the SMN trainer! I remember her' and she's like 'I remember you too' and it was nice.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

abraham linksys posted:

Are DPS queues for Neverreap/Fractal 20+ minutes on other servers, or is this something special about Faerie? Like I was all excited that they made grinding out Tomestones and gear so easy in this expansion but I'm stuck in queues that are literally longer than the dungeons half the time.

Everyone I ask about it just seems to say "welp, DPS :shrug:" but I don't know if there are more efficient ways I could be getting gear or what. Only other thing I can think of is to play something else while queueing
It's 'welp DPS.' That's fairly standard for top-level dungeon stuff for Faerie. Low Level is pretty awesome though since everyone's doing them either for the new classes or as first timers who got in for Heavensward.

I haven't had a sub 30 minute Fractal/Neverreap yet. Gear hasn't caught up to HP pools of the mobs yet.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

At least they had the decency of giving you the majority of those quests after you get flying.

Compared to the HinterlandsForelands where I had to walk around the same hill seven times because Tailfeather only has an east and a north exit and they have a small camp to the northwest :shepicide:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 4, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

MCH has the same problem pre 2.x DRG's had: they're burst DPS when everyone wants sustained. Except they're worse than DRG's since their basic combo is RNG reliant. I wish Reload had a faster recast/cooldown than it currently does.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

I just started the game, my doh classes are around 15 but before I get more classes up there I want to know how long I'm going to have to grind to make it worth my while. When does the class get another cross class slot after the first one it starts with? Do I seriously have to grind to 50 with only one cross skill?

You should get one every 5 levels. You'll be suffering for abilities since a lot of the good ones are higher level on the classes (Careful Synth 2 on Weaver for example.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

I doubt it will lead FF14 down a path of hatred like WoW but I am truly interested how it gets spun.

WoW started with 'increased difficulty, increased reward' before dumbing it down over several iterations. FF14 started in the later half of that cycle so the only people who are going to be mad about it are people who are doing things for the wrong reasons, IE 'I want a challenge but the loot sucks,' which to me sounds like you're doing stuff for the sake of getting loot and not the challenge of it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

Don't know how you got "I want that mad loot son" from what I said, I'm just a curious spectator.

Apologies, it wasn't directed at you it was more in general because I've heard/seen entirely too much complaining over it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kjermzs posted:

WELP

Only been playing for a few weeks, I'm L53 now and I took the port to Horizon every single time. :smith:

It's not that much faster due to loading times. Especially if Limsa's jam packed with people (way more common back in the day when you had to go there again and again and again...)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I never liked Fracture as a cross class skill because it's really TP inefficient and everyone (except PLD) has something better than it. Even then I prefer taking Foresight/Bloodbath/Mercy Stroke on my PLD.

Never used fracture, never regretted it (even in Coil.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

psymonkey posted:

FFT is my favorite FF and it's not even a contest, and the lion's share of the reason is because of the story. But I did stop mostly giving a gently caress as soon as everyone started turning into random garbled monsters/side quests. I'm pretty sure this is the most obscure of references.

It's definitely obscure. You have to know your stars in constellations for it to make sense. I didn't and now there's a whole new world of :staredog: open!

Regarding VA's I did notice some changes between in Heavensward, mainly because everyone overall improved. Everything sounds a bit more natural/less forced, which mainly helped Urianger, Merlwyb and Raubahn.
Then again, everything's better than Random Ul'Dahn citizen #3 :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The YAAH is really the best male voice though. I wasn't happy with them at character creation either but it could be worse.
There's one particular female voice that combined with a certain emote it sounds... Uh... Inappropriate.

Also after I play for awhile I tend to keep my headphones off for running around and doing things so I don't ruin my enjoyment of the sound design in the game by hearing it too much.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pierson posted:

You'll run out of Ventures one day and then you'll regret all the seals you didn't spend on them!

I dunno. Housing I guess?

Housing items are the best way to convert them into Gil.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

nuru posted:

When I looked around it seemed like no one had hive weapons and the MB barely had any forearms/hive bardings. Compare to Cactuar/excalibur where idyllshire feels like more hive weapons than not, and the mb is flooded with the raid items. Is it just not much of an endgame server?

That. Faerie's pretty casual. Endgame statics do exist and there are people who clear endgame content quickly/regularly but there isn't a giant pool of people who want to sub for statics. Most people tend to stick with their social group statics for clearing that content.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

At first I thought they were exclusive when I was setting up my bars after turning into a DRK for the first time.

Then I hit both buttons.

It's amazing what you can learn in two seconds just by trying something rather than assuming it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

JuggernautEX posted:

I wound up using one VIT ring and the VIT earrings and the rest STR for tanking and just used my spare law to get everything eventually. You certainly don't need full VIT.

One VIT ring and one STR ring is pretty standard since not everyone dumps gil into crazy penta-melded STR stuff and most tome rings are unique. The rest is generally to taste (I like comparing secondary stats more than going straight STR/VIT.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Whizbang posted:

Vit jewelry (and Shield Oath) are for bads.
Bads don't need help to be bad (Shield Oath is good.)

It always amazes me when people do 'optimal' things when they aren't optimal and blame others for their own mistakes.
'Healer you suck and are bad and should feel bad' - Tank who didn't put on Defiance/Shield Oath/Grit and died while healer was spamming their strongest heal on them.
'Tank stop being a bad and use your cooldowns' - Healer that only uses their basic heal and doesn't do anything else.
'WTF Healer do your job' - DPS that stood in the middle of a pack of mobs, completely ignoring all of their AoE's and dying for it.
'Tank stop moving. Stop it! Stop moving the boss around! I'm doing bad damage because of you!' - DPS on a movement fight (Titan, the Curator etc.)

If you can't do the basics, you can't do the advanced crazy stuff that people theorycraft and label 'this is the best you can do.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Boten Anna posted:

This probably makes it so the provoke animation doesn't show up and if you are tanking most mildly challenging 8-persons this is Very Bad.
Nope. There's you, your party and then everyone else (in 24 man I'm fairly certain that everyone in the Alliance counts as in your party for graphical stuff.)

There's no issues with setting "Others" to limited.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So now that we know MCH isn't as bad a class as we thought, just wanna ask how demanding it is to actually play. How hard is it compared to other DPS? I'm a career healer looking into branching into DPS (and I main SCH, so SMN is not much of a vacation), but I'm not actually very good at the whole DPS thing, so I'm waffling back and forth on which to pick.

Got it up to 50 so here's my pre HW take on MCH:

It's easier than bard 90% of the time with the last 10% being harder than BRD. When you're not doing crazy burst shenanigans you're mostly doing the same thing bards are doing (in my case hitting 1) waiting for a proc and looking for any opportunities to use utility stuff. You can use Rapid Reload on CD until you get Clean Shot in which case you'll want to save it to get Cleaner Shot procs.
The real meat and potatoes is jamming as much damage as you can as fast as possible to make your Wildfire explode big. Even before that you'll want to maximize Rapid Fire and Reload. Burst burst burst.

Turrets are also easy 'toss them out and mostly forget about them.' They're not quite as robust as SMN/SCH pets but your turret is free and if it blows up/needs moved just toss it out again.

TP can be an issue in long fights since without Invigorate you've only got Rapid Reload's paltry 50 restore to keep going.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rincewind posted:

Speaking of Divine Veil, when are the best times to use it? I've figured out what to do with most of my new abilities, but I'm still kind of feeling out that one.

When Melee are going to take a strong hit the extra barrier is nice. Or if it's a boss like Mr. "SIT-NERS WILL BE PURGED" you can maneuver to hit everyone with the barrier for one of his big AoE's since he doesn't have a cleave.

It's not very crucial though since 10% of max hp on a PLD isn't a lot when everyone's pushing 10k+ numbers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I know he's saying sinners but I also know that I'm not the only one who's ears interpret the pause in there as a sharp T sound. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

A lot of it is just due to the fact that most rotations in 2.0 were incredibly simple, and now they've introduced a degree of complexity.
Most of the rest of it is that they're horrible scrubs who do N. Than Fates from 50-60. Then there's the unavoidable percent who are just bad.
Run Dungeons, press buttons, learn.

I'm actually having the occasional issue with getting my classes up to 51 VIA Daily Hunt marks because I'm way too used to running dungeons and playing a tank. 'A level 55 mark? I can take that at 50. SO MUCH DAMAGE NO I CAN'T RUN AWAY'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

seiferguy posted:

I ran a duty roulette and got Cutter's Cry. One of the DPS was a MCH, and I noticed he wasn't losing lead shot. I said "hey, lead shot is a pretty good DoT, you should use it" and he said "that would ruin my DPS." We weren't killing enemies that fast, so I said "you might be miscalculating" followed up with some basic potency numbers, and he said "you should kill the enemies faster, then." I was a white mage in cleric stance half the time :shepface:
I had an EX roulette recently where a MCH was in love with Clean Shot. Used it all the time. Heck practically the only time they actually used their proc combo was when they reloaded. Other than that it was Clean Shot, Clean Shot, Clean Shot, Clean Shot.

I am still getting over the sound effect bugging the everloving crap out of me after that.
(At least now I can hear the Sickness bit.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Etrips posted:

What cross class ability do I want on my monk?
Invigorate is the best cross class ability for any DPS that can take it period. It will massively increase your longevity and with Greased Lightning 3 you tend to be one of the first classes that runs out of TP.

Tarranon posted:

Fracture is a perfect way to get more bang for your DoT buck. Use it when one of them has five seconds left, and then reapply the dot right when it falls off
Except Touch of Death is a better Fracture in every way and Fracture costs too much TP for MNK's. Mercy Stroke's nice for some execute oomph/health gain if you time it well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Holyshoot posted:

How spoilery is this? I still have yet to do Hildebrand. Maybe someday when after all my jobs are 60.
Some of the facial work in Heavensward was wrought from all of the experimentation into Hildebrand's expressions. It's one part why it's quite enjoyable :allears:

Not spoilery in the slightest. You might have forgotten Godbert there from when you oiled him at Camp Bronze Lake though.

Also get used to him Limit Breaking. He doesn't need a party to do so either.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

One more crafting question: do I really need to level up a hand disciple to place material in my gear?

Yup! Unless you Request Meld of another crafter that can do it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Can someone explain how Divine Veil works. The tooltip says that the barrier protects up to 10% of the caster's HP. Is the caster the Paladin or the healer that set off the ability?

I haven't done any testing but assuming that the tooltip is 100% correct, it's the PLD's HP that determines the strength of the shield while the healer's just time it. Since the PLD is the one casting Divine Veil in the first place.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

KoB posted:

PLD is the most self sufficient class and doesnt really need any cross class skills but the extra cooldowns are nice and Mercy Stroke is some bonus DPS at zero cost.

Then I run with Protect and Raise just for funsies really.

ForesightForebearance is also nice to pair with Awareness since they share the same cooldown and both are rather weak individually.

Cross Class Stoneskin and Protect at full power is awesome though (even if that full power is a little weaker.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 16, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...Did you mean Foresight?

Yes. I know too many words and mix and match them up in weird circumstances.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Will the 3.0 main story quests get me from 50 to 60?

Not by themselves. You'll have a significant dearth around 55 for sidequests and other things and then more 57+. Run dungeons, they're good XP and gear.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vermain posted:

I've got it fully enabled (everything checked aside from Alliance members). I'm just still having trouble believing that it's parsing correctly when the top DPS in A3 is a Warrior.
Also Warrior DPS is kind of BS at the moment. Did some farming with an FC group and as people left we subbed in others until we had problems finding a last DPS (we're weird in that we have a lot of tanks/healers in the FC over DPS.)
So the warrior's like 'dude I can come too in deliverance with str accessories. It'll be a snap!'

We consistently pushed the 35% transition the whole night (it always goes into tornado form and does one wave of adds.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Weird. Kept getting it down to 30-31% but it always went into tornado form.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

You mean the one that they can easily dodge by running into melee range?
Easy only in that it requires precise positioning. If you're even half a yalm out of melee when it goes off you're still getting hit. Then he'll quite often glower that person to finish them off before the healer can heal them up, even with swiftcast.
And if you're too close you get one shot by 100 tonz swing :shepicide:

Coincounter's a good fight. It teaches you 'yeah you know those handy AoE ranges you've been getting? Hahahaha suck it I don't have to give you those!'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Klades posted:

I'd just like to mention that whoever said the red dot blinks faster depending on your threat lead was full of poo poo

It only blinks on enmity change. I think it's restricted to you hitting it since I don't remember things blinking all that fast in 8 man content when hitting the boss. Regardless the white bars underneath your party member's icons is way better at telling you your enmity lead.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It doesn't really matter for leveling. Str helps you do more damage/mitigate slightly while Vit lets you take more damage. Accessories are a pain to pick up from vendors post 30 since there's not a lot of jewelers out and about.

Left side gear is most important and likely the main sign of your squishyness. Stone Vigil also rips into you since most of it's trash packs are mean ones so always use the appropriate tank stance, no ifs ands or buts there.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 19, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Willias posted:

Also on the note of VIT or STR talk for tanks: VIT gives more HP in Heavensward than it did back in ARR, and jewelry now has more main stats than you get stat points as you level up. So a 180 piece of jewelry is +36 main stat, while you only get 35 stat points from leveling. With no VIT jewelry on, a Paladin and Dark Knight tank will only have slightly higher HP than the DPS of their group (around 12k HP with stat points put into STR instead of VIT, DPS will have 10k-11k HP). With full VIT jewelry, a PLD or DRK tank will have 16k to 17k HP (Warriors go up over 20k). It's a huge boost, and is very noticeable in the EX primal fights and Alexander.

If you go full VIT though, I still recommend keeping at least one piece of jewelry as STR, just to make sure you can out threat your DPS.
And I advocate even if you go full Str, put a Vit ring on.

Mainly because most tome/turn in rings are unique which means you have one ring slot you either fill with lower ilvl gear (with less stats and not always an option due to ilvl gating) spend millions of gil on a pentamelded ring (expensive) or just take the Vit/Str ring off the tome vendor.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

SpaceDrake posted:

From some comments the art team's made in certain places (like the art books), this is the reason - super long hair is a technical nightmare on multiple levels in the current engine, and only NPCs like Iceheart get such hair because the art team can exert far more control over the hair per-scene, compared to a player's hair which has to work everywhere and ideally clip as little as possible.

(Longer hair would be cool)
Even then she has a weird 'Hair Cloak' thing going on a lot of the time where the hair about her shoulders is unnaturally stiff in order for the lower length to flow properly. Longer hair would be cool but it's not a high-priority thing for me.

Klades posted:

Well I mean, some damage always interrupts, some damage seems to never interrupt, and some damage interrupts sometimes (which is annoying)
I didn't know if it was an actual mechanics feature that the slaps caused interrupts, or if it was related to the damage level or something.

As far as I know it's a chance on taking damage, with that chance increasing as it approaches a certain percent of your Max HP. Some abilities might have modifiers on that since Clemency seems rather hard to interrupt but it's entirely likely that it's just the formula working normally and bosses just don't hit hard enough for the chance to stop it. Alexander bosses do though. That's the only time I notice my Clemency's getting interrupted.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

So does "most attacks" on living dead and holmgang mean "everything but hard enrages"?

It's anything except key damage mechanics where you have to do something special to mitigate. Enrages, the Primal's Big Summon Magic (Hellfire, Earthen Fury, Diamond Dust, Judgement Bolt etc.) Ramuh Extreme's Shock Strike etc. all go through Hallowed Ground, Holmgang and Living Dead.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Paladin's have the better cooldowns between them and WAR even accounting for the situational ones. No reason not to get your feet wet in both of them though due to cross class skills (Provoke, the game's 'taunt' skill is gladiator level 22.)

Also hiding behind a shield isn't cowardly when I use it to pry open a beasts maw so I can stab them in the throat :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Doublestep posted:

God drat this 30% parry and evasion cd sure is poo poo. I wish I had a tanking stance like Paladin.
The problem with it is not with the CD but with Dark Arts. It just doesn't seem to do much for the MP it costs.

That's sort of the whole crutch of DRK at the moment for me. On one hand it's incredibly involving gameplay having to manage enemies, your CD's and abilities and your MP pool at the same time.
On the other hand what you spend that MP on and how you gain MP back is a bit rough.

Dark Dance's main problem is that in situations where it would be pretty awesome (big group of guys on you that are doing lots of attacks for you to parry/dodge) it directly conflicts with Blood Price.
Same with other Dark Arts abilities. Whenever I look at them I internally go 'is it worth blowing 1/3rd of my MP on that extra effect?'

I'm curious to how the Devs envisioned how Darkside and Dark Arts are intended to be used and if it's closer to 'let Darkside drop off so you can regen MP faster' rather than 'keep Darkside up at all costs.'

• Locked thread