Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

*deletes 3 gigs of FFXIV selfies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Machinist is fun as heck and I feel bad for all the nerds taking time to play DRK first but I'm happy because it's trivialized queuing for poo poo. One thing is like, I keep hitting reload before a boss because it makes you feel like a badass when that's actually like, the worst move since it means your first two ammos are going to Hotshot and Leadshot and not being used to keep your combo guaranteed for as long as possible. Like right now I'm considering Hotshot, Quick Reload, Rapid Fire, Leadshot, Reload, Split Shot, Slug Shot, Reassemble, Clean Shot, Split Shot, Slug Shot.. But I'm like, 35 and don't have all my toys yet so this is just me trying to think of how these skills benefit eachother best.

Oh and Hot Shot, Rapid Fire, Spread Shot is like

The more I read over DRK the more it seems like it has an absurdly high skill ceiling where you want to maintain uptime on Grit (moreso than other tank classes due to their significantly lower HP) and Darkside (for DPS) as much as possible without getting yourself killed, because it's also a class that relies more heavily on direct damage mitigation moreso than Paladin (who has higher defense) and Warrior (who has a lot of fuckin health). I don't see DRK replacing PLD as MT, and it'll be a while before there are DRKs good and comfortable enough with the class to replace a competent WAR... But I can also see the current flood of DRKs and their generally low HP leading to a lot of groups opting not to take them unless it was a WAR MT/DRK OT power play combo to maximize DPS.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 20, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Minrad posted:

Squall, is that you?

Maybe

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Now it's time to find Gerolt and poke him with a stick and it turns out he's thought of an even STRONGER weapon he could make, and this one involves farming aether currents and sightseeing vistas

Rei_
May 16, 2004

someone keeps leaving all these potatoes on our FC house lawn with giant broadswords tape to them

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Hivac posted:

It's still kind of vague but there's enough reports of MCH falling behind pretty badly in parses from several cases in different places.

I can also sorta speak from experience, I've had several situations where I was just stuck spamming my first attack for a good 10+ attempts while waiting for CDs.

The problem MCH has even at 60 is that a chance-based proc combo was a bad idea designed make you use reload to which means your actual honest to god combo is on a loving cooldown which is kinda baffling. On top of that MCH brings very few things to the table that BRD doesnt already do without doing them better.

Which is lovely. I love this class's style and I want to play it, but we're talking beyond outlier progression MCH problems I mean these are problems you can see with the class all the way from Haukke Manor to Turn 13. Reload and Clean Shot combo are just loving boned and they need to make them more consistent to START making MCH a worthwhile class outside of It Looks Cool and I Like Shooting Thing With a Gun (both good reasons imho)

One thing i will say is that Wildfire and Lead Shot apparently aren't being counted in parses which I think is part of the problem but not all of it

Kitfox88 posted:

Dark Knight Supremacy

Let me introduce you to my friend Fell Cleave, Queen Shitkicker of Fuckscrubs Mountain

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 22, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's like No Seriously, People Smarter Than Us are Looking at Machinist and Scratching Their Heads Because There Are Problems That Make No Sense, Trust Us

Kitfox88 posted:

Deets, I've been powerleveling DRK because I love huge swords, so my WAR is still only at 50

It's a 500 potency attack that uses Abandon Stacks, it like, makes things loving explode. It's pretty rad

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 22, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's all good. Souleater has the benefit of being a functionally constant combo ender, especially if you DPS. And of course Carve and Spit is 450, although that comes with a minute cooldown. It's a good time to be tank DPS.....and I guess Paladins got stuff, I don't know, their heal looks cool.

Paladins were in a really weird position going into HW because they really had no holes so they just wound up getting even tankier and finally had that one combo flesh out

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

hey ffxiv thread, what is your dark knight's theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw

So anyway, I just got to the Aery and people said this games story was like...grim? Like literally every single major dire story beat in 2.5 has been undone or resolved with little to no real struggle? Like the Sultana is just alive, you and Raubahn are cleared of all charges, the abdication of the throne is delayed due to the the impending invasion like?? idk.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 23, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

lmao, Estinien's shrug and Haurchefant's expression after all the crap in the Churning Mists

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Velveteen posted:

The player character is so naive. Like you corner a traitor who goes "I give up" and then says he'll betray the bad guys then you go over to the quest area and he laughs going "do you really think I'll give up so easily?" then sends the enemy at you because you walked into a trap and then you beat him up along with all his friends and he has an epiphany and decides to turn himself in to the authorities. This happens multiple times! What the heck.

The MC is a robot programmed to nod and occasionally smile warmly at people who have just had A Moment

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So I've been playing with MCH and can we talk about this rotation a bit? It's bonkers. Since none of your 1 2 3 needs to be done in order, you actually want to set it up in a way where you can get loops of procs going without ever terminating the loop or backpedalling so you're firing a shot that procs the next shot while the next shot is already proc'd... So am I insane or is the optimal Ammo Rotation 2 1 3 2 3 2 1 3? I imagine you'd attempt something like this even with reload on cooldown but man, that's a weird thing to keep track of while also worrying about Hot Shot, Lead Shot, Off GCDs and Autoturrets

Rei_
May 16, 2004

That sounds like it works too, my loving brain starts melting when I think of how to optimize MCH and I picked up DRG's full rotation after like a single dungeon.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

sword_man.gif posted:

warriors can fell cleave for over 11k and they don't have to abuse a latency bug to do it

I love it, but you know Fell Cleave is getting a nerf

Rei_
May 16, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY LUDICROUS CRITS

Listen, hey. War main. Like, I feel you. But man, every time I top DPS in a dungeon spending the entire run in Deliverance I'm like...man. This is going to come back to bite me so god drat hard.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

MCH is really fun and will probably get more fun as people figure it out more but it does actually have some serious problems that lead to either overexertion through in-depth micromanagement or just a shockingly bad output of damage. The micromanagement thing is a huge problem because it means in any sort of high-end fight you have a class that is required to be more focused on its rotation than mechanics, simply to keep up with everyone else, and that leads to a lot of problems.

I can't quite figure out what DRKs role is, and the more people I talk to who have started gearing the class up post-60, it sounds like they can't either. It has a loving BOATLOAD of damage mitigation cooldowns, which tells me that you really want it in an MT role more than anything due to its dependency on getting hit in the face to get its abilities going. At the same time, a Paladin is a lot more stable suggestion for that role. As it stands, neither tank class can match up to WAR in terms offtanking effiency and raw damage output... The latter part of which is weird, considering how the two tanks stacked up against eachother in 2.0, but idk

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 25, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I want my main class to 60 so it can be geared and I can take my time learning all the other new jobs? idk dude people play however they want, calm down

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I got to the last zone this morning

:psylon:

final fantasy's pretty loving weird and amazing y'all, i'm glad this is definately final fantasy game

But naturally there were more Moogle sidequests waiting for me in the Churning Mists at 59, because there always are. I'm fairly certain now the Moogle Sidequests are being procedurally generated like in Skyrim or something

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 25, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Allagan Empire needs to calm the gently caress down

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yo so that final loving trial, huh

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Paladin was trying to fight me for one of the adds so I wound up somehow, through the magic of bad main tanks, tanking both of them somehow? Luckily I already knew that was bad and was blowing cooldowns, frantically putting path up on both and had TOB and Equilibrium ready to go.

GOD I love Equilibrium. I've been stance-dancing like a coked up Michael Flatley and being able to heal myself for that much, or even drop into Deliverance real quick to restock my TP, drop a Fell Cleave, then switch back into Defiance for whatever comes next. Warrior really got some of the best changes. hosed up how they started 2.0, and now how they're starting 3.0

I'm really feeling the ilevel hit in the ex dungeons though, luckily tomes fall out of the drat sky right now due to all the first time bonuses and lack of a proper cap. I already grabbed my weapon and a bunch of 160 gear, and now I guess I'll work on left side gear.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 26, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

What are the acc caps for Ravana EX? Someone was saying it's around 600 but that's gonna be a bit of a struggle since none of the WAR axes post-60 have acc on them

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Though the use of Tactics Ogre gearsets just makes me want an Ogre Battle event/dungeon/raid even more.

wait really?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Christ the music in this game is incredible, I mean 2.0 had some really good tracks but all three trials and a lot of the dungeons have KILLER tracks.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Rafzakael posted:

I'm working on my second 60, white mage, and I'm firmly of the belief that dungeons are the best way to go

I've been at this for about 25 hours did the math, 29.5 hours from 51-58, and that's with almost instant queues

it sucks

armory bonus dungeon exp that I've gotten without rested bonus but with food bonus:

Dusk Vigil: ~250k per run
Sohm Al: ~275k per run
Aery: ~345k per run
Vault: ~385k per run

editedit: also out of all those runs, I've only seen a dungeong pet drop once, it was the panda from aery; those things barely drop at all

Yeah I just got my MCH to 50 and I'm wondering what the hell I'm gonna do without MSQ and Sidequests... I...I almost kinda miss the moogles, man.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty much. No reason to completely change the terrain geometry for something that's going to (not) be there for all of two weeks.

I assume Alex as it is will remain like that until either he's beaten in the Alex questline or the next stage opens up. The one red glowing eye out of three kinda makes me assume it'll be that kinda deal where yeah we beat the boss but we couldn't stop their plan, in true JRPG fashion.

So like, what's the other raid going to be? If we get Alex in a week, and Alex Savage in another two... That means 3.1 needs a Crystal Tower equivalent, right? Maybe it'll be that thing above the ARF?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Intoluene posted:

My first ravana fight had a few wipes because people kept falling off. OT kept a wall behind him during his phase, too which didn't help.

i thought you were supposed to keep a wall behind you? idk, i've done that fight once and havent had to retry it

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It really feels like the Forelands were designed when they concieved of you having access to the flying mount right from the jump, later areas feel a lot more logically gated (the two halves of the Hinterlands, the four quadrants of Azys Lla)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Or the AST abilities knocking off food buffs

edit: or Raw Intuition loving up healing

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 29, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yo so that hidden ship that's in the skybox.. Was it in the last zone, Sea of Clouds or Churning Mists? I've heard all three and we're starting to think it moves around

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I imagine it's just kind of acknowledged at this point that Rei Byrde, the Warrior of Light, has access to Eorzea's most robust, yet inconsistent rolodex of available adventurers

It's kind of like how you don't necessarily hire a journalist for their skills necessarily but their contacts

Rei_
May 16, 2004

That's a chart that's only counting retail sales in the UK, not digital, not worldwide

Rei_
May 16, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You can take your facts and figures elsewhere, over in doomsayer camp we follow our heart.

o-okay *walks along railway with fedora slung over bindle*

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Verranicus posted:

XI had better music than XIV

:eyepop:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I've decided Bismarck EX nightmare mode is when someone gets the bright idea of bringing a third tank into the fight

Rei_
May 16, 2004

idk they tend to roll in skills from other famous classes into other jobs. Astrologian has some Time Magey elements rolled into it with spells centred around speeding things up and slowing things down

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 2, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Because running each dungeon like 6-8 times for each other class is so much more loving interesting

dungeons are fun and the core of the game

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how legitimate is the advice to go straight STR for tanking atm?

Your main goal should be then, to find a combination of str and fending jewlery that lets you hit the Ravana EX acc cap (it's around 560 last i heard?) in DPS stance. Anything beyond that is gravy.

On a side note, I keep seeing people trying to replacing DPS with Warriors, and it's been hilarious as additional tanks tend to hardcore gently caress up Primal/Raid mechanics due to the way the game decides who gets what in some fights. And WAR is EVENTUALLY getting that nerf in 3.1 (or whatever), and I'd rather have people learning how to play DPS classes now and getting good at those honestly.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 2, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Minrad posted:

Yes.

Luckily, Aurum Vale apparently gives more exp than Dusk Vigil does. :effort:

When did this

Become hotter than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

eh, if i was someone trying to gently caress with me, I'd think I was pretty loving terrifying too

That scene must be hilarious if you're a lalafell or something

• Locked thread