Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The only thing I'm mad about is why isn't there an Arcanist Tank Job yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Jaiseillex Dentonnier

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Truga posted:

I don't like the Bismarck fight at all. I have no idea why goons keep hyping it. Maybe it just isn't my thing.

Ravana, on the other hand... :kheldragar:

In my head as I'm tanking Bismarck EX i'm like "There are like one too many mechanics happening at the moment" but I always feel that way learning a new primal fight

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I died once on the Fractal boss because I got overeager on trying to kill one of the Educator Drone Guys myself

Also coming into 60 fresh with a hodgepodge of sub-150 white gear I immediately tried to pull massive packs and kind of got exploded but those are a hell of a lot more managable now

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Bismarck Extreme is when you start taking long hard looks at your friends who are still wearing Dreadwyrm gear

Also you know what? Kind of a bad fight. If they wanna gate poo poo behind a DPS wall great but I swear to god several of the AOEs in that fight hover slightly off the ground making it hard to judge if you've dodged from certain camera angles

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm still kind of disappointed that Hildebrand is not in Theatrhythm Curtain Call

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Now that Warrior is nearly geared up I think I'm going to ride this MCH pain train to 60 and see how it plays out in the long run. I played War since 2.0 launch, and that was a fun trial by fire to get better at tanking. It's going to be interesting to see how they change up and evolve MCH over time, or if they don't, to see how hard I have to push myself to be optimal at the class. It's a really problematic job, but it's got a lot of puzzley optimization elements that are really tickling my brain in all the right spots.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Unlocked Ravana EX last night... Very T9-esque fight, a lot of fun.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Looking forward to tuesday when this stupid "alex normal is alex story mode...same difficulty as CT" rumor can finally die.

wasn't that confirmed, idk, i mostly hear poo poo second hand because there are so many different places news pops up

Rei_
May 16, 2004

vOv posted:

a game for emos and beta males.

same tho

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Real talk has anyone ever been asked to leave a dungeon? I've seen people get super salty over healers contributing to DPS but normally roulette is pretty chill

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The BRD problems are something only bleeding edge content players should be worrying about but the Machinist DPS thing is noticable even in LLDR. Granted it's been improving as I get a better handle on the class and it's sort of hosed up counter-intuitive nuances but the amount of effort I have to put into keeping up with a monk or a dragoon doing a six-step linear combo is kind of exhausting

Rei_
May 16, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Halatali NM, me levelling my BLM for The Professional title. SCH healer put themselves on follow on me, and told me to keep up behind the tank, so they could AFK. Because they were doing us all a favor by being there.

/angrynerdmode on

Cue me doing my level best to DPS at the very limits of my range, using the leash distance of SCH and SCH's fairy to leave fairy just outside of range for healing. And to lock fairy and SCH outside of the first boss's door. Got kicked, sent a report.

Have a screenshot for funsies:

("friend" doesn't make any sense in this context, this was a DF group, I didn't know any of them. Except you, Zyra Zephyr. Now I know you. gently caress you.)

I have actually met this scholar in duty finder, lmao

Cabinet posted:

I had to votekick a healer out of a Vault run yesterday because they were wiping us on the last boss constantly and I still feel bad.

I ran into a group of four in Titan EX that was intentionally wiping runs by aiming Titan towards the group and they had a party so they couldnt get kicked. It was pretty weird, imho!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Line Feed posted:

Man those weapons looks pretty cool.

Except the Machinist one. :suicide:

if the Aetheric Manipulator on your hip and the Turrets changed with new weapons itd be a bit cooler but idk

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Alt image for Alex gearsets

Ninja came out looking fantastic imho

Rei_
May 16, 2004

eh, I ran into a Paladin in Dusk Vigil last night who never used Flash. People can get pretty far in FFXIV doing the bare minimum, that's not so bad until you hit the EX Dungeons for the current content cycle

Rei_
May 16, 2004

You'll still run into threat issues at low level with impulse-drive spamming Dragoons who dont have their full combo yet and bards who like to go apeshit with cooldowns. The buffs to Flash help but if you over-rely on it you tend to go MP dry pretty fast. All three tank classes have potent AOE threat abilities but you do actually have to strike a balance between being aggressive and proactive with them and not spending the rest of the dungeon running on TP/MP fumes.

Endgame dungeon problems tend to arise from White Mage and Black Mage. If you have a solid opener, most DPS classes cant catch up to you if you're running a strength accessory or two. The Mage classes and sometimes Ninja have enough spikes in their threat output that if you're not switching targets or throwing out the odd OP/Flash/Unleash you might lose a mob in the pack

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 6, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Outside of rare situations you're rarely fighting more than three things at once and fighting larger packs, most jobs cant dish out AOE damage high enough that generates threat surpassing flash/overpower/unleash spam outside of flare or holy spam

Order of Operations for trash fights is typically Ranged Pull (Shield Lob/Tomahawk/Unmend) AOE Threat (Flash/Overpower/Unleash) Combo On Primary Target (Rage of Halone/Butchers Block/Power Slash) AOE Threat, and then at that point you're just focused on doing damage while occasionally checking threat tables and throwing your AOE threat back up. Defensive and offensive cooldowns are interwoven througout this but you generally don't want to start a fight without some kind of defense, be generous to your healers, people

Single pulls, like boss fights are a bit more involved but for me (WAR) it tends to look like Infuriate > Unleashed > Tomahawk > Heavy Swing > Maim (+Berserk and Inner Release as this GCD is happening) > Storms Eye > Butchers Block Combo > Deliverance > Fracture > Fell Cleave > Pacified

Rotate Storms Eye and Butchers Block, cycle defensive cooldowns, use offensive cooldowns as they come off of CD

Offtank damage opener is Deliverance > Heavy Swing > Maim (+Berserk and Inner Release as this GCD is happening) > Storms Eye > Butchers Block Combo > Fracture > Fell Cleave > Infuriate > Fell Cleave > Pacified

Rotate Storms Eye and Storms Path, use offensive cooldowns as they come off of CD or sit on them for important poo poo (Bismarck, Ravana's Warlord Shell/Liberation downtime, etc)

Berserk and IR are always timed with Maim so that the timing on Berserk lets me finish my combos and get fracture up before Pacify hits

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 6, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Cleared Ravana EX last night, what a fun fight! Much more enjoyable than Bismarck EX

Rei_
May 16, 2004

a kitten posted:

Wonder which patch will have new beastmen dailies. (assuming they're coming, i guess)

I'm very interested in Azys Lla beast tribe dailies

Arcland posted:

I've been messing with this game and currently have my highest at a 39 WHM. It was until now that I ran into a distasteful person in a dungeon. The tank was killing every mob instead of rushing to the end. I can understand why that would be annoying to players but the one dps decided that because of that he no longer wanted part of the dungeon. But said that he won't pull and we had to kick him to get rid of him. Was an odd experience.

If you're not at level cap it's like, preferable to clear dungeons because you get experience though. gently caress people at cap doing their roulette, they knew what they signed up for.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I was thinking making friends with orbs and cubes but okay sure

Rei_
May 16, 2004

tbh people have started getting MCH numbers up as people figure out the rotations and skills with a bit more nuance and get used to handling the class. It's got problems that definiately need addressing, but they're being WAY overstated honestly.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

lmao if this is the alexander boss theme it isnt at all what i expected and it's pretty incredible

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Hivac posted:

This also sound like a potential candidate.

Yeah, that's the song I was talking about. Pretty dang rad

Rei_
May 16, 2004

That was a lot of fun! I passed on all the loot because I hadnt planned out how to start snagging it yet but I grabbed a shaft since I know I'll need to get four of them anyway.

So no weapons, huh? I guess those are Savage Only?

Also between Liquid Fire and Cray Claw there are a LOT of FFV callbacks lmao. Makes me wonder if Mide is supposed to be analogous to Mid, Cid's grandson

Rei_
May 16, 2004

ALSO Y'ALL, THE MUSIC IS loving RAD AS HELL

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Calm down nerd

Rei_
May 16, 2004

law tome gear, buy it from the vendors in Idyllshire up the stairs next to Rowena

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Any links to the music from 3.1?

Places like BlueGartr tend to have datamining threads so if you asked around there or poked around a bit I'm sure something would be able to help with that

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

MTing AT4 is really boring too because you also basically do nothing other than soaking orbs and taking lines.

Meanwhile the offtank is off in the CRAZY TUBE WONDER CLUBHOUSE poo poo talking the rest of the raid in /say

Rei_
May 16, 2004

If your DPS is low, Perpetual Ray will hit harder and more times, you just have your OT provoke in the middle of the barrage to eat a few of the hits, no big deal

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Can you taunt perpetual Ray? I thought you could only taunt the tank buster

maybe I'm getting the attacks mixed up but it's the one that comes out right after discord and hits the tank several times. You can provoke in the middle of it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

do any of these fights have an enrage? I've seen several people mistake Self Destruct on A1 for an Enrage. A4 has a soft enrage i think because he keeps getting DMG+ stacks as the fight progresses, but I don't think at any point he'll outright wipe the room

Rei_
May 16, 2004

are we going to get a link to every last bad opinion on the OF because if you want bad opinions you can just read my posts, I mean I can do this all day

Rei_
May 16, 2004

After I cleared it in the morning I did it with my static, among us being myself and the guy who had the server first so we just kinda quietly did our tanking jobs and let them figure out the mechanics themselves. It was pretty fun watching people figure out all the mechanics blind. It was a nice experience honestly, I'd reccomend people actually go into those fights with their friends with no info. They're simple enough that they sort of become fun puzzles to figure out and optimize, and I think understanding the mechanics on an individual level will help when Savage comes out

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Saigyouji posted:

I'm already dreading Savage Floor 2, because I can see that fight becoming absolutely hellish when tuned up.

You can see in a lot of places in these fights where mechanics are kinda 'missing' like "there should be something else happening here"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

100% this. Nothing so far has needed more than a a few attempts to figure out (execution on the other hand...), and it's fun actually paying attention to the encounter to see what works / what doesn't. And I can say every person in my group understood the fight, rather than the shitfests in coil where they would just try do things mechanically (and fail) because they don't know what's actually happening.

Like one of Coil's big problems is I see a lot of people come into FFXIV as FF fans and not necessarily MMO fans, right? I mean that means they have little to no raiding experience. Coil was you know, KINDA tricky if you're new to the whole thing but also mixing in hardcore raiders from other MMOs quickly chopped up the community into people with really strict progression expectations and ideas for how the content should be handled and others who might actually WANT to do it but have no idea how. This is the solution, honestly? Mid-tier raiding with simplistic but still lethal mechanics that ask players to communicate and understand the fights. Doing this NOW means they can go HOG WILD later because more of the playerbase is equipped mentally to handle the ideas, and not everyone is relying on a youtube guide or a DnT writeup.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

nuru posted:

Alex 4 in particular feels like they may have designed savage then just removed things to create the normal mode.

*hollers and smashes pots and pans together* DOUBLE QUARANTINES

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 8, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Pierson posted:

oh my god

this thread right now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KfV6huc9M

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also Square-Enix seems to make play arts kai figures of everything except for actual Final Fantasy characters. I would loving kill for a little Raubahn action figure because he is the most badass dude ever.

PAK is the only thing at Square that Nomura seems to want to consistently work on so I hope this becomes the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

what if alex savage but every mechanic has divebombs

Boten Anna posted:

I'm pretty sure Soken did the vocals for the Alexander songs too :allears:

Yeah the Final Boss theme is definitely him doing his Titan voice, I can figure out 90% of the lyrics for the other boss theme but gently caress if I know what the hell the final boss theme says, I think I hear "go boom" and "'til your neck breaks" at points

• Locked thread