Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Friends and goons hyped the poo poo out of this game, so I bought it while it was on sale on Steam... last night right as the servers went down for an expansion. :saddowns:

Im not sure if that is the best or worst timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So Im assuming Excalibur wont open even at 4am for new characters due to the massive load. I dont want to burn my whole free month trying to get on one server, but I dont know if I lose anything just making a random character to gently caress around with and learn the ropes while I wait for things to settle down. :ohdear:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Maybe the poor timing is the leading cause of this, but this game is terrible. Literally every server is greyed out for making new characters right now. Bang up job there Squenix, launch an expansion to draw in new players but prevent them from actually loving playing. :thumbsup:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^^ I literally just bought it Thursday night before the Steam sale ended so I dont even have characters to log in to.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Things are gonna be crazy for a little while. That's life on an extremely successful MMO launching an expansion.

Yeah I know, Ive played WoW before during some of their big xpack launches. Im mostly just mad at myself for being a dweeb and thinking I still had a month before the expansion launched. Guess I cant be mad, the game itself was 50% off during the Steam sale so its not like it was a big money loss either. :shobon:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 20, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That could also be contributing to servers being slammed right now, forgot about the steam sale in all the hubbub.

Like I said, its really just poor timing on my behalf. New expansion + Steam sale + weekend in a game that has been drawing in a lot of hype and attention away from the stagnating beast that is WoW. Im only going to have a few days left on my free month the next time I get some free time but it should be more than enough to see if I enjoy the game.

The character creation is top notch at least. I made one of those fat midget things and by the end it looked like he could be a member of Motorhead and that basically sold me anyway. :v:

Making a character on Excalibur is probably going to be literally impossible for a week. You're best off trying the game out on a less absurdly populated server/data center and either remaking or transferring here later

I was considering that but I wasnt sure if I lose anything by doing so since I used a random goons referral code thingy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

You have to play every single patch before heavensward before you cant do anything new.

That doesnt seem like a bad thing as long as they put in catch up mechanics of some kind so that new/returning people dont struggle to close the gap.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Progress! After 5 days I can now make characters!

Kinda. I cant actually make make them because servers are still locked up to new characters, but I have them all ready to go once they actually let me play. Plus I was talking to their support and they are going to set my free 30 days back to 30 instead of losing 5+ days to lovely server issues. :toot:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Truga posted:

GW1 is limited to 8 abilities, GW2 to 10. You can play both just fine on a gamepad, and a lot of people prefer to play at least gw1 that way (dunno about 2).

e: I'm actually really glad they're limited by controllers because gently caress having 40000 skills, 39998 of which are used in very specific scenarios.

The number of people that complain about filling up every available hotbar and still missing stuff in this very thread tells me that the game still has massive ability bloat even with the focus on being controller friendly. Its probably the number 1 issue that is nagging me as I level and get closer to the end of my free month. That and forced group content. None of the goon servers are allowing new characters at any point of the day right now so Im making due on my own on some backwater server, so if I cant solo it Im pretty screwed. :(

Otherwise Im really enjoying everything else. They really did a good job of blending single player story telling and MMO, Im quite impressed.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I hope the Hildibrand quests feature some character cameos. There's a nice FF6 vibe happening in the postgame and I'd love to see Terra or Sabin show up, especially the later, in the form of suplexing a train.

I was really sad that 2 of my favorite things Final Fantasy werent in this game, someone suplexing a train and the Jester job. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

What level? Doing dungeons/hunting log if you have a higher level class than you is more fun tbqh

How/where do you do dungeons? I ask because I wanted to play Rogue, which meant playing another class to 15 first, and now I have no clue where to go to get experience and grinding FATEs has been... well, not fun. :(

Im assuming Im just not high enough level for the first dungeon since everything else gave me tooltip popups?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Let me know if I should stop posting the fruits of my official forums safari. Just wanna share the laughs with my goon pals.

Remember the days when we had to grind for weeks for a level, only to lose it when we died? Getting to max level was an achievement, poo poo they carved my name on the moon when I did it, it was that big of a deal. And dont get me started on people actually participating in dungeons and raids.

Stockholme syndrome manifesting in video game players is always tragic. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Truga posted:

On the other hand, leveling content used to be actual content, not filler you have to go through before you can play the game. :v:

But really, it's just a different approach imo. As long as I have fun with it, I don't really care. The problem with a lot of old mmos wasn't so much the content itself, IMO, but that they could be seriously un-fun to play unless all the stars aligned for you to get a fun evening in (i.e. waiting forever for groups).

That said, I never really played a lot of any old theme park MMO, with the exception of Ragnarok Online, which is basically just a slightly clunkier diablo with more players and a dumber xp curve. And I had tons of fun with diablo2 never reaching max level either, so...

Yeah as someone that played has played basically all the MMOs and is thankful those days are dead and gone, leveling was not content at all. Leveling in EQ/DAoC/AC/AO/etc... was literally find mob spawns, camp mob spawns until you reach level XX, then upgrade to new area and repeat. Quests were sparse and hardly ever worth doing since there was no story to them, they were typically very time consuming and awarded less XP than just sitting at a redcap base and PBAoE spamming. And you still had to grind through the system (and in many cases, combat it if you wernt of a very particular class/spec) in order to play the game since almost all the focus and development was spent on the activities you do at the level cap.

Its me, Im the MMO survivor. :corsair:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Evader posted:

I just made a character on there after the previous maintenance. I just had to set an alarm to wake up when it was scheduled to be over.

You are in luck: there's another one tonight! Just wake up at 6AM EST (or 5:30 if you really want to be sure) and hop on right after the servers come back on.

Or pay 18bux, whatever you prefer.

From yesterday but this worked, thanks for the tip! Finally got onto Excalibur. :toot:

Now Im going back to bed.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wait, Ultros shows up in this game? Yay. :3::cthulhu:

Also, now that I finally got a chance to make characters on Excalibur, I have no idea what to actually play. I got both Rogue and Archer to 20 on another server and didnt really enjoy either so Im thinking of giving Marauder a try. Spellcasting looks like a giant pain in the rear end and appears to have the most ability bloat so Ill probably avoid those classes at all costs. I guess my biggest question is can I avoid tanking as a Marauder?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Spellcasting isn't fundamentally different or anything. This isn't Everquest. They're just abilities with cast times.

And no. Marauder/Warrior is a tank, period.

Well boo, I liked the idea of swinging a big fuckoff axe around without any care or responsibility. :(

You misunderstand my issue with casters in this game, its that Im very against the idea of having to macro macros and set up anything more than a single hotbar to play. Really its just :effort: on my behalf but whatever.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

sword_man.gif posted:

it's drg because as much as some of them are bitching about how harrddd the combo is they have exactly four positional attacks and the rotation is dead simple

This is what I needed to hear. I really like this game but its still super confusing when youre new, especially what each classes role and play style actually is. :shobon:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im glad I wasnt the only one creeped out enough by this to take a screenshot.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Obligatum VII posted:

And they're always in Ul'dah. Which continues its fine reputation as the worst place in Eorzea.

I really like Ul'dah, more that the other 2 cities, both in layout and in scenery. :shobon:

Plus every time you get a cutscene with the leader of the city she always has that dude pick her up on his arm and its super :3:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Wait til you get to the end of 2.55 story

I dont know if it was your intention, but I dont like the sounds of this. :ohdear:

Kaidyn posted:

Going to ask a question that may have been asked a billion times much earlier in the thread: if I just started playing again with a fresh character, is there any reason for me to buy Heavensward or do I just wait until I am at/near 50 with a job?

I asked this not too long ago and it was unanimously said to wait until you finish the entire story before buying the expansion since none of it unlocks until you do so.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

It's never a good time to start playing Anime Catgirl Dressup 2k15

I sometimes feel like Im playing the game wrong because I made a male roegadyn and Im constantly surrounded by catgirls and midgets. :(

For some reason I cant get ffgoons to work but thats OK for now since I still havnt been able to pick a character to stick with yet.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Phlogistic posted:

You might want to check out this handy little guide for everything optionally unlockable up to level 50.

Oh man I am missing so much poo poo apparently. Ive managed to stay a few levels ahead of the MSQ just from doing the mandatory dungeons and the occasional FATE so I havnt even looked at side quests. I thought Gold Saucer was level 50+ content and Ive been missing out. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bonewitch posted:

i actually sat down and did the math and fracture is a slight potency loss per gcd compared the standard dps rotation

its me, im the bad

When youre down here with us Georgie, you'll be bad too.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

How spoilery is this? I still have yet to do Hildebrand. Maybe someday when after all my jobs are 60.

Im only 25 and it didnt seem spoilery to me. There really isnt much context to it, its a very specific scene. And its also god drat hilarious and makes me want to keep playing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mikemo Tyson posted:

To get invited to Third Party Tools do I need to apply at the guild hall/house thing? I checked ffgoons but I couldn't find the TPT thread.

e: Oh god why did I say yes to allowing the launcher to download Heavensward right now. :cry:

I couldnt find the house so I just hung around Ul'dah until I saw someone with the tag run by, right clicked them, brought up FC info and applied right from that.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Will the 3.0 main story quests get me from 50 to 60?

Not even close.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This is a terrible thread full of terrible people with terrible opinions. Tanks are all bad no matter how they gear themselves, healers are whiny babies that will complain about everything because what else will they do with all that free time between heals, and every DPS has some kind of learning disability that will inevitably lead to an enrage timer wipe.

Post more angry looking potatoes and Deus Ex outfits.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thanks to the goons that ran me through Garuda tonight so I didnt have to wait in the half hour queue. Also thanks to the other goon that told me to stick with the game until at least this point because the story gets better. You were right!

Now my only question is when do I get to start playing the pretty princess part of this game, Im tired of subligars.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Heavensward was on sale last weekend for like $9 so I grabbed it since I am considering coming back for a bit.

I never made it to 50 because the grind had reached peak tedious and the queues took forever. Has that changed or is it only worse now that its so late in the expansion? Also is it still required to do every single raid and dungeon and boss to move on to the HW content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

homeless snail posted:

It was never required to do all the raids and dungeons to get to HW, but you do have to complete the 2.x MSQ. The 1-50 leveling is a lot faster now, also.

That is good news then and I look forward to coming back once work settles down. :toot:

• Locked thread