Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I can't wait to come back and learn all of the stuff, this is gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Rei_ posted:

Now it's time to find Gerolt and poke him with a stick and it turns out he's thought of an even STRONGER weapon he could make, and this one involves farming aether currents and sightseeing vistas

This reminds me, I think I was working on my books before I stopped playing, is that weapon going to be immediately obliterated upon hitting expansion content or should I still work on getting the stuff for it?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Are there plans to have the relic quest continue into the expansion, or is it an entirely moot point now? Seems kind of sad for all that work to completely go by the wayside, especially with the emphasis that had on it being your one weapon that grew up alongside you.

Thanks for the advice, though, now I know what to focus on.

I was also reading, apparently 2.4 story quests are straight up dropping the i110 soldiery (?) gear as quest rewards. Looks like I picked the perfect place to stop :getin:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Okay, that seems fair then. Gives the dorks like me a chance to get acquainted with the game before starting a new weapon grind.

How do they keep making the correct decisions what the gently caress

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Boten Anna posted:

Cerulean can't melt Ishgardian steel beams.

Raubahn lied, 6,000 Lominsans died

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Finally on the last leg of my trip home. Anyone willing to indulge my need for info and describe how AST plays in comparison to WHM now that you've had a couple days to get acquainted with it?

e: f, someone already posted that kinda

Sorry, I'm excited to return is all

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 21, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for that, especially the part about level sync. I've been out long enough that it wasn't obvious to me why they assigned some of AST's skills to levels it will never be at, but level syncing is the answer.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Hey DRGs, I just saw that they took the directional requirements off of a couple attacks a while ago, did that end up being as big of a deal as it seems to me right now or no?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

pandaK posted:

Considering how you could play all the professions on one character, is there any real benefit to running more dudes other than the admittedly very important reason of having different looks/race?

As said before, nope. It makes the starter plan a really great deal unless you prefer paying by time card or in large chunks.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

pandaK posted:

Huh, so if I already have an account with two characters on Excalibur am I completely barred off from the subbing with the 1 character per world option? What if I delete my alt account, would I be able to use that subbing option then?

It'll let you switch, but it will put a red X by all but the oldest character per server, locking you out of the others. They aren't deleted, but they're also not usable anymore.

If you know you're playing for a long time and don't want to lose that option, you can do the six month Standard subscription which comes out to the same monthly amount.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

abraham linksys posted:

Holy poo poo this insane anime fight against the fish monsters in patch 2.2 is one of the best cutscenes I've ever seen in an MMO

Do all of the Hildibrand quests

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, they weren't huge dicks about putting anything QoL related behind the expansion. They managed to keep dungeons relevant for two years before this expansion and so far the roulettes don't seem to be going anywhere, so there's no reason at all to worry about not having people to do content.

That being said, holy poo poo am I upset I'm having to do all this story poo poo at once, so much people standing around uggggh. And I hear 2.5 and 2.55 get worse on that front.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Flying Fat Chocobo isn't a preorder bonus so that doesn't matter :colbert:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Relic Quest 3.1 better involve flying and finding moogles hidden around the world that spawn once every seven hours for three minutes at a time to get Malachite Gems that you have to stick into an airship to get enough Aether to raise a stat by a point.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I'm still on book stage so I'm basically leaving it be in favor of starting fresh with 3.0 so I feel your pain but also wish others to feel it.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Minrad posted:

:argh: I was about to upload this very thing

What is this reference?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
This guy is my hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iLQRt5QT-s

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Verranicus posted:

Can anyone please explain the collectable system? A goon in the LS said I should have access to it as a 50 BTN/MIN/FSH but I don't see anything in my skills and traits and the only quest related to it in Mor Dhona says I need to be level 56?

Also, is there anywhere online that lists the new unspoiled nodes locations and requirements?

There's a quest near the levemete in Ishgard that sends you back over to Mor Dhona. Afterwards, you talk to the people in the tent next to Rowena's House of Tomestones.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

cheetah7071 posted:

Why is the new crafting jewelry made by loving carpenters

Because carpenters got gently caress all to do with the high end crafting gear last time, so thank goodness we have something important to do this time?

Not to betray my ignorance or anything, but has anyone here done the fancy math on just how Whistle and the associated skills are useful? I was playing with it last night and had trouble feeling out how those skills improved over the standard "hasty touch forever" rotation.

(For instance, how large the "large increase" is when you expire your whistle stack, and whether or not something like Wheel counts for that?)

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Niton posted:

Use WTFast, it completely fixes things since it hides the game's traffic from the (netflix) throttling.

I didn't realize WTFast had a free option; are the video ads obnoxious on it?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You forgot the level 58 set that can be gotten by redeeming scrips. Adept's set, I think. Also the NQ level 60 mainhands can be gotten from Azys Lla vendor.

I'm not sure I see the point in the scrip gear. It's a lot of work for something you can flat out buy better versions of.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 11, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

a kitten posted:

It shows some ads while it's starting up, that's about it. I notice them about as much as i do any other internet ads. Every couple of weeks it asks you to extend your free version and that might take a minute or two longer than normal to wait for (it makes you log out and back in again)

It's so convenient and seems to work well enough i'm actually getting tempted to buy the stupid program just to say "thanks" to them for it.

That's good to know, and something I'll try, then. Last time I looked into it I could've sworn there wasn't a free version. The lag issues are probably the primary reason I slowly drifted away from the game in the first place.

And yeah, if it ends up being as great as everyone says then I might end up just throwing them money. It's me, I'm the person who upgrades even when unneeded as a thank you.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The crafting scrip gear makes a bit more sense once you find out that the scrip turnins aren't dailies, and can be spammed as long as you have the money for materials. Makes it a lot less of a time investment.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
WTFast's new free version has been working decently so far; I'm curious as to whether or not Pingzapper, which is half the price of WTFast, is any better or if it's even worth it to pay when WTFast has that free version now. Anyone have more experience with the services (WTFast vs Pingzapper vs Battleping)?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

cheetah7071 posted:

Battleping has worked for me but I mostly picked it because wtfast looked like a scam, it's website is (or at least was) shady as gently caress.

Nah, WTFast still does look really shady. That's been my main apprehension, their service could be manna from heaven for all I know but their design makes me unable to shake the idea that I've installed a virus.

Battleping and Pingzapper both look credible by comparison, but then the question becomes "Why is Pingzapper somehow half the price of Battleping?" I have no idea if there's an actual difference that would come from that.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

sethimothy posted:

Going to give this game a try, because my wife started playing it on the PS4 and she's enjoying running around hitting things. Might even be done patching some time this year!

I was curious, in anyone's experience, if there were any crafting jobs that were worth going after as a new player, and any crafting classes one might consider staying away from? I inevitably piss away too much time and money on crafting.

About all I know about the how I'll be starting is that I'll be grabbing Marauder so I can start in L L or whatever and at level 10 I'll be picking up Rogue, but this is more "because that's what is there" and less "This is where my character life will ultimately end up."

Also, any websites that show what different armor sets look like? I remember in FFXI there was the model viewer, and the wiki would often show screenshots of completed sets, but I haven't found that with this game yet outside of images of the artifact sets.

There's not really a particularly bad or good crafting class; in fact, their skills are all intertwined to the point that it's generally recommend that at the VERY LEAST you level everything to 15.

In terms of moneymaking, I would think that Alchemist and Goldsmith do the best because they make intermediate materials that a lot of the other classes need, and still sell at a profit. I can only speak for Exclalibur but carpentry tends to be ridiculously out of whack, where the logs that it takes to make the lumber cost more per piece than the lumber does.

Please feel free to ignore my advice as soon as a more experienced crafter shows up, though. The main takeaway here is that there's not really a bad crafting class. It is kind of difficult to keep them levelled alongside your main combat class, and to be honest, the story quests are going to be handing you gear so often you're not really going to need to craft your own stuff.

As for model viewing, I think xivmodels.com is what you're looking for. I can't connect to it, but my Internet's being hosed up today so I dunno if it's actually down. Xivdb.com is your Wowhead equivalent for this game, incidentally.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

nuru posted:

Everyone who keeps saying crafting is great should level their crafts to 60, look at the endgame, and then revise their statements when they try to convince new people to craft.

Crafting is now truly something you only do past 50 if you really want to craft.

On the one hand, I recognize that you're not wrong. On the other hand, I still enjoy doing the little bits of crafting that I do in between dungeons. It's relaxing.

Does it have a point? Nah, not in the grand scheme of things, since all I'm spending the gil I'm making is on more crafting mats to make more money. But every now and then, I need a glamour, or I need to gear up an alt, and BAM, I have over 2 million gil in the bank to drop on whatever it is.

I'm not trying to come off as defensive, or anything, I'm trying to point out that if you're not worried about being super mega endgame crafter you can at least get some enjoyment out of it.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 27, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

nuru posted:

It's not so much the lack of point as the hilariously tilted road for crafting once you hit 60 on them. If I decide to go craft 450 red scrips right now it will cost me approximately 2.25 million gil based on MB material prices for the CUL materials I need. That's for a single week.

You're right that it's fine if you just want to level them then not really do much with it beyond tinkering.

Yeah, I've noticed that in general the amount of money it costs to buy those scrip materials is... upsetting. And I haven't even gotten enough stuff to do red scrips (I still need to get enough blue scrips to have THAT set, argh)

I take the same approach with the stupid clicker games i play on my phone, where if I plug away at it for a few minutes at a time over a long period of time, eventually I'll get there. And if not, oh well!

Fister Roboto posted:

If the CUL turnin is too expensive... maybe try a different class? I did my weekly on CRP, and it was cheap as gently caress.

CRP is hilarious, you've got the wood necklace and wood ring that cost all of like 40-50k for the mats one day, then that same slot will have a bow that costs 5 times that in mats for the same amount of scrips. I really wish I had GSM levelled up because gems/ingots seems to be where the big bucks are.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

nuru posted:

That was my cheapest at the time of the post, but your solution is terrible because it assumes someone has other classes to choose from (and wasn't the point that that wasn't where we were going with this in HW?).

But even going by the quoted 40-50k above, you're looking something like 920k-2.25m per week to get 450 red scrip if the turn in is 45k and gives 9-22 scrip each.

The 40-50k was blue scrip, for what it's worth.

And yeah, one of the reasons I went on and continued doing this when I came back was because I thought the point was you were only going to be levelling a couple classes to 60 anyway.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Etrips posted:

Wait what? How do I do this?

Under the Timers menu, you can pull up a list of what your Grand Company is requesting as a turnin that day. You then go buy whatever it is they want, and then go to your Grand Company's headquarters and do a Provisioning Quest. You don't even have to turn into the applicable class, so you can just buy everything on the list, turn it all in, and gain 15-20% of a level on all those classes all at once.

sethimothy posted:

Sounds like just jumping in and having fun is the name of the game then.

Another question, and it may or may not be dumb: when crafting, do I have to pay attention to the time, the alignment of the moon and stars, the way my character is facing, the way I the player am facing, the or the number of coffee grounds in my cup in order to keep from completely ruining the craft, a la FF11? Or can I just pay attention to the prompts as they appear on screen?

Yeah none of that matters. It's actually all based off of a surprisingly fun system of actions you do before the item falls apart. It's really fun.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, it's real easy to flip into a queue and then go do something else, be it quests, gathering, crafting, playing princess dress up, or what have you. There's always something to do!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Eej posted:

Look at this guy who has never used Nymeia's Wheel or Heart of the Crafter.

What does Nymeia's Wheel do, exactly? It's tooltip isn't specific about how whistle stacks affect its durability restore.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Oh cool, this thread really needed :godwin:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The airship expeditions sound like fun, especially the ability to have gatherers come in and clean up after the combat guys kill monsters.

I was seeing comparisons to Dynamis, but I know gently caress all about FFXI. Anyone able to confirm if that's similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

lol nevermind I haven't levelled ALC as much as I thought I had.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 29, 2015

• Locked thread