Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I just wiped on Mog EX three times on the final burn phase (partly) because the pubbie dps didn't bother doing limit breaks. I don't understand this phenomenon whatsoever. In WoW people would be literally fighting over who gets to use the megapow button and bragging about their damage numbers. But in FF14 far, far too often I'll be sitting helplessly as tank watching my dps completely and utterly ignore the button that lets them do thousands of damage in one shot. What exactly is driving this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Don't run with pubbies. We have like 1500 people in the FCs, unless you're the biggest spergiest weirdo you can find 7 people to do a thing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Believe me, I'd be on Excalibur if I didn't want to play with my friends. I organized a proper FC run for Sunday evening to finish off Mog EX, we'll polish him off no problem. The lackadaisical attitude towards damage from FF14 players is still puzzling, though.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
People bitch really really hard when you LB at a bad time though which can stop some of the more sensitive people playing this game (pussies) from doing it

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

People bitch really really hard when you LB at a bad time though which can stop some of the more sensitive people playing this game (pussies) from doing it

People, please keep continuing to use your Limit Breaks when the bosses are at 3% health or lower. Especially if you're a melee DPS.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Brannock posted:

I just wiped on Mog EX three times on the final burn phase (partly) because the pubbie dps didn't bother doing limit breaks. I don't understand this phenomenon whatsoever. In WoW people would be literally fighting over who gets to use the megapow button and bragging about their damage numbers. But in FF14 far, far too often I'll be sitting helplessly as tank watching my dps completely and utterly ignore the button that lets them do thousands of damage in one shot. What exactly is driving this?

Combination of boss's having immunity phases and hectic fights causing DPS to tunnelvision their own buttons rather than the LB one. I know I've forgotten to use it sometimes because I'm too busy doing my rotation/dodging stuff to notice the boss is prime for LB.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Griz posted:

there's only three dyes on the cash shop (metallic red/green/blue), everything else comes from npc vendors, crafting, or retainer ventures.

I was under the impression that all dyes were bought on the marketboard or w/e the AH is in this game, and thought trial accounts couldn't access that. On the Brightside I just bought a bunch of dye. Now to figure out how to use it

I'd watch wrath man if that's not just an opening theme but an actual ffxiv show

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Brannock posted:

That damage isn't attributed to them and leads them to actually do less damage on the overall parse due to the lost DPS time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You unlock the ability to use dye by completing a level 15 quest in Western Thanalan, called "Color Your World".

After you've unlocked that, you can right-click any dyeable item and the context-sensitive menu will include the option to dye it. From there you get to the dye interface and can preview its appearance with any dye (or with dye removed), whether you have the dye in question or not.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Eerkik posted:

I was under the impression that all dyes were bought on the marketboard or w/e the AH is in this game, and thought trial accounts couldn't access that. On the Brightside I just bought a bunch of dye. Now to figure out how to use it

I'd watch wrath man if that's not just an opening theme but an actual ffxiv show

We posted at the exact same time on the last page but it's a quest in Western Thanalan outside the Waking Sands, MSQ will take you near it eventually.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It's that kind of night where you go into Alexander Savage and have several 1% wipes and just decide 'you know what lets just try again tomorrow'

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
I love how when you get a flying mount and go off the edge of the map it fills in all the empty space and you finally get the exploration achievement. There's just something so Final Fantasy about all the little ways they do things.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Brannock posted:

Believe me, I'd be on Excalibur if I didn't want to play with my friends. I organized a proper FC run for Sunday evening to finish off Mog EX, we'll polish him off no problem. The lackadaisical attitude towards damage from FF14 players is still puzzling, though.

Parsers exclude LB from your personal DPS, so people that actually do give a poo poo about their numbers (any DPS class with a stance that will fall off, like greased lightning) will probably refuse to LB.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

MohShuvuu posted:

Parsers exclude LB from your personal DPS, so people that actually do give a poo poo about their numbers (any DPS class with a stance that will fall off, like greased lightning) will probably refuse to LB.

actually the real answer is that the vast majority of players are loving garbage and either don't care or tunnel vision on their 300 dps rotation

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is WAR still the best tank for stealing threat from other tanks or should I go DRK?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What's the most you'd ever pay for a glamour item?

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I keep getting Ravana for trial roulette and the melees are always too chickenshit to LB, it's weird.

That just means I get to use Sagittarius Arrow :hellyeah: Good goddamn does that thing look sweet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ApplesandOranges posted:

All the gil.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Is WAR still the best tank for stealing threat from other tanks or should I go DRK?

Does DRK have anything like opening with a triple fell cleave berserk, with Butcher's Block combos for spice? No. No it doesn't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I like to tank LB around 5-6% if it hasn't been used because why not?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Suitaru posted:

Does DRK have anything like opening with a triple fell cleave berserk, with Butcher's Block combos for spice? No. No it doesn't.

God drat seeing 7-8k crits back to back is loving amazing.

Double fell cleave when you can get them in PVP are basically instant kill. Holmgang is the loving best if you have a team with you. I don't usually get the kill credit because they're out of range when we get anchored, but drat it's awesome to just root someone who is trying to run away and let everyone nuke them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I keep getting Ravana for trial roulette and the melees are always too chickenshit to LB, it's weird.

That just means I get to use Sagittarius Arrow :hellyeah: Good goddamn does that thing look sweet.

It may be that they're waiting for a Liberation Slaughter charge-up, and the increased damage he takes then. Most of the time though, it's probably just a typical case of DPS not LBing when they should.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

WAR is best for doing absurd amounts of raw damage, but for absurd amounts of threat, yeah DRK is probably the way to go.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MohShuvuu posted:

With the time extension on GL monks can once again LB3 without dropping stacks. The only reason they should hold back is if they're waiting on a safe spot in the fight, or if they're letting a dragoon or ninja use their cooler-looking LB3.

Maybe I'm fortunate that I have not run into any DPS who care more about their personal parse numbers than actually winning the fight so they can move on and do other things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boten Anna posted:

WAR is best for doing absurd amounts of raw damage, but for absurd amounts of threat, yeah DRK is probably the way to go.

If you need the insane threat from a warrior you can still do a berserked unchained from defiance. It's certainly a damage loss, but it still will set a threat lead that's hard to catch and if you ramp up to unchained you can still pop a couple of fell cleaves at the end.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ApplesandOranges posted:

I recently forked over 350k...so that much i guess. So far.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you need the insane threat from a warrior you can still do a berserked unchained from defiance. It's certainly a damage loss, but it still will set a threat lead that's hard to catch and if you ramp up to unchained you can still pop a couple of fell cleaves at the end.

I haven't hosed around on a striking dummy and watched the numbers but I HAVE gone to CT with 2.55 endgame tanking set but an i55 weapon as DRK in CT and stole threat on Bone Dragon a couple of times against some other tanks with i130 weapons who were very much doing a good job keeping threat on it. Optimal threat rotation for WAR isn't really on demand and is uneven, DRK can just poo poo it out constantly.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

WAR with Berserk and Unchained going does 6450 enmity potency with a Butcher's Block combo (assuming no maim or storm's edge because it's an enmity loss to use those compared to spamming BB)
DRK using Dark Arts does 5840 enmity potency with a Power Slash combo.

Once the WAR knocks out one or two full power BBs, they're doing 3225 enmity potency per BB combo.
The DRK probably can't afford to DA more than two Power Slashes either, but is still doing 5205 enmity potency per Power Slash combo.

So if we compare a WAR doing 3 full power BB combos followed by 3 regular ones (ignoring the 2 GCD loss to Pacify for simplicity) to a DRK popping six Power Slashes without using DA, we see 29k enmity pot vs 31k enmity pot.
DRK has four oGCDs to use, WAR has one. If the fight goes long enough the DRK will probably be forced to use at least one non-enmity combo for MP at some point, as Darkside's MP drain is on the order of 1 Siphon Strike per 20 seconds, and you're probably going to want to spend MP on Dark Passenger and possibly DA Carve and Spit.

Boten Anna posted:

I haven't hosed around on a striking dummy and watched the numbers but I HAVE gone to CT with 2.55 endgame tanking set but an i55 weapon as DRK in CT and stole threat on Bone Dragon a couple of times against some other tanks with i130 weapons who were very much doing a good job keeping threat on it. Optimal threat rotation for WAR isn't really on demand and is uneven, DRK can just poo poo it out constantly.

The catch is that the optimal damage rotation for WAR involves their threat combo and the optimal damage rotation for DRK does not.
So it's possible to threat grab on WAR while still maxing your DPS (though you'll lose to someone just spamming threat combo) but a DRK who tries to participate in an enmity fight is definitely losing out on damage. Same for PLD, for the record.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pacification is good to toss out a single flash for another 600 potency.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How exactly does that triple fell cleave opener work? If you're pulling from scratch don't you have to wait until you have four stacks?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Yeah. You get those stacks in the first few seconds with at least one Maim combo, probably two. Let the untermenschen tank get a threat lead :smug:

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was willing to spend 10 mil on the Starlight barding but right as I was about to buy it someone listed one for 1 mil :D

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I got yelled at once for using it during his defensive stance but we would have killed him anyways before it swapped is what I tell myself.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

armoredgorilla posted:

Inspired by a previous post, is there anyone on Excalibur who can craft up a Tremor Guillotine for me for a fair price? I'm in game as Da Qing.

Any takers? :downs:

EDIT: Empress hooked me up too, hot drat! Thanks Emp!

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 29, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Reminder: Koji and Soken are having their Wild Ride on stage in 10 minutes on either PAX main stage or on the finalfantasyxiv twitch account... they aren't really clear about it

edit: http://www.twitch.tv/finalfantasyxiv as it turns out

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

lol nevermind I haven't levelled ALC as much as I thought I had.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 29, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

bonewitch posted:

actually the real answer is that the vast majority of players are loving garbage and either don't care or tunnel vision on their 300 dps rotation

This sounds like hyperbole but I just got out of a fractal where as MCH I had a higher DPS than the tank, dragoon and healer combined

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If the Rising quest chain didn't make you smile something is seriously wrong with you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know that there's a lot of dark knights who are unaware that you can have Darkside and Grit on at the same time, but today I learned that there are some who vehemently refuse to have Darkside on while tanking.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I know that there's a lot of dark knights who are unaware that you can have Darkside and Grit on at the same time, but today I learned that there are some who vehemently refuse to have Darkside on while tanking.

But Darkside drains your MP and then you have to use Syphon Strike and that's not the threat combo!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kafziel posted:

But Darkside drains your MP and then you have to use Syphon Strike and that's not the threat combo!!!

Battered Tank Syndrome. They got mercilessly abused as newbies for spamming Riot Blade, and now they have a pathological fear of the "gain MP back" skill.

• Locked thread